test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unfair punishment

brandewynnbrandewynn Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I have a guildie who got caught up in the recent money making opportunity that was possibly perma banned today. This is unjust punishment for a perfectly logical HUMAN reaction to a quick way to make a few bucks (AD/ gold/ or items of respectable sale value). The promo came out for the ioun stone of radiance and instead of the dev team making it BOP or BOA they made it BOE to begin with. The vendor had no limit on how many times the item could be claimed by each character that transferred the zen to their account either. So because of a bunch of oversights on the part of the staff in charge of this promotion and the natural reaction of people when a good money making opportunity arises this person is getting punished.

I agree that the sale of so many ioun stones was definitely not the intention of the dev team and some amount of self discipline should have been shown in this period. However, I personally think the proper way to handle this would be to remove the money earned during the time that the ioun stones were BOE and call it good. As this was not an exploit that was done by a handful of individuals who found out about a secret little something. This was an oversight that allowed a large group of people to make a bunch of extra cash due to the team missing the boat on the code they put into the promotion and the item and vendors when implementing. Both sides participated in this bug that was fixed as quickly as possible. so the removal of extra income made from that sale would be a more fitting and justifiable reprimand for being human than possibly permanently banning a player who was once part of the first to play your game, not to mention the others who were in on this fiasco.
Post edited by brandewynn on

Comments

• snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    good to see that they are taking action. And sorry but your friend knew he was wrong when he started selling the stones so to expect less punishment for doing something he knew was wrong is kind of silly. I mean if you see a bank vault open you don't just go in and take the money, why? Because you know its wrong and you'll get punished. Even though you could say it was partly their fault for not keeping the vault door closed.
  • firkraaqfirkraaq Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    snotty wrote: »
    good to see that they are taking action. And sorry but your friend knew he was wrong when he started selling the stones so to expect less punishment for doing something he knew was wrong is kind of silly. I mean if you see a bank vault open you don't just go in and take the money, why? Because you know its wrong and you'll get punished. Even though you could say it was partly their fault for not keeping the vault door closed.

I absolutly agree with that, your friend deserved it and he/she surely knew it is about to happen, sooner or later ... he/she just tried - what if ... and was punished. More actions like this needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I see nothing unfair about a punishment for knowingly exploiting what was obviously a bug.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    People are getting banned because of this? Nice.
  • wimpazoidwimpazoid Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well, your perfect logic wasn't the course of action for the rest of us that got the stone from the promotion. So the illogical must be the right way?
  • frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Those are some great news to read... way to go Cryptic!!!

ah... also... IBTL.
  • vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Imagine there is a bug that allows anyone to get a purple mount. They would all be banned. You thought that the devs wouls just say that your friend has been lucky?
    English is not my first language.
    edited March 2014
    vortix44 wrote: »
    Imagine there is a bug that allows anyone to get a purple mount. They would all be banned. You thought that the devs wouls just say that your friend has been lucky?

If there was a bug that would allow a player to unknowingly obtain a free purple mount, the player shouldn't be held responsible. However, if the player knowingly profits from said bug by claiming the mount repeatedly and selling it, then yes, by all means ban him.
    Such is the case of the supposedly banned player mentioned by OP.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is extremely good news , anybody who gets banned for this only has themselves to blame .
    vortix44 wrote: »

Lol , they made that mistake last time.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    wimpazoid wrote: »
    If there was a bug that would allow a player to unknowingly obtain a free purple mount, the player shouldn't be held responsible.
    If you take a second orb, find out it is not bound and sell it, no problem in my book. You might not know what you are doing.
    If you do that 5 times or more, then it should be obvious something is not working as expected and you are exploiting a bug.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • ratharimratharim Member Posts: 65
    edited March 2014
    Perma-ban may be hard, but he earned that.
    Ratharel - stealthy backstabber from the Myth Drannor
    edited March 2014
    If you take a second orb, find out it is not bound and sell it, no problem in my book. You might not know what you are doing.
    If you do that 5 times or more, then it should be obvious something is not working as expected and you are exploiting a bug.
    The crux is pretty much the intention. If anyone unknowingly claims a 2nd stone and decides to sell it or give it to another, it may be argued as not letting the spare one go to waste due to perhaps not knowing better.
    However, if he decides to repeat the process knowing that the stone is a benefit of the promotion he is enjoying as well as others and specific to their accounts only, in order to profit from it and circumvent the distribution channel bound by the promotion, then he is the definition of exploiting.
    The benefit of doubt does not need to go up to 5 times in this case.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    brandewynn wrote: »
    i have a guildie who got caught up in the recent money making opportunity that was possibly perma banned today. This is unjust punishment for a perfectly logical human reaction to a quick way to make a few bucks (ad/ gold/ or items of respectable sale value). The promo came out for the ioun stone of radiance and instead of the dev team making it bop or boa they made it boe to begin with. The vendor had no limit on how many times the item could be claimed by each character that transferred the zen to their account either. So because of a bunch of oversights on the part of the staff in charge of this promotion and the natural reaction of people when a good money making opportunity arises this person is getting punished.

I agree that the sale of so many ioun stones was definitely not the intention of the dev team and some amount of self discipline should have been shown in this period. However, i personally think the proper way to handle this would be to remove the money earned during the time that the ioun stones were boe and call it good. As this was not an exploit that was done by a handful of individuals who found out about a secret little something. This was an oversight that allowed a large group of people to make a bunch of extra cash due to the team missing the boat on the code they put into the promotion and the item and vendors when implementing. Both sides participated in this bug that was fixed as quickly as possible. So the removal of extra income made from that sale would be a more fitting and justifiable reprimand for being human than possibly permanently banning a player who was once part of the first to play your game, not to mention the others who were in on this fiasco.

wooooo hooooo
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Meh, one person allegedly gets banned for the Ioun Stone debacle and people think this is a systematic change by Cryptic.

Still seeing people offering stones in /Zone, and there are several abusers whom I can still see online.
  • vvergvverg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I reported a few people that are still selling those stones on the Trade Channel to the support (chatlog + screenshot :)), you should do the same. Good too see they are taking action to these exploiters. You shoul... uuhm let "him" read the ToS. Good luck to yo.. your "friend".

Next to that, a lot of people warned that the chance for a ban is very high, so I hope he indeed has a permban.

(oh I also have Radiance but I dind't sell or gave anyone one.)
    signature-lili.png
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Human nature my <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>$.

Lack of intellectual maturity and basic self-control is no excuse for idiocy. Your friend got what they deserved and I can only wish for more of the same to anyone else who participated in an obvious exploit for self-motivated reasons.

One word to your friend from me: PLONK!
    edited March 2014
    vverg wrote: »
    I reported a few people that are still selling those stones on the Trade Channel to the support (chatlog + screenshot :)), you should do the same. Good too see they are taking action to these exploiters.

Next to that, a lot of people warned that the chance for a ban is very high, so I hope he indeed has a permban.

You do know that a lot of the people selling stones are using alt accounts (easy to tell as it is a very low level character with a random @account) just in the same guild as the main account so that they can access the guild bank.
  • vvergvverg Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    You do know that a lot of the people selling stones are using alt accounts (easy to tell as it is a very low level character with a random @account) just in the same guild as the main account so that they can access the guild bank.

Are they also using VPN, cleaning all cache and cookies? (as Launcher seems to be partly webbased) If not Cryptic can still find them ;).
    signature-lili.png
  • zyphxxzyphxx Member Posts: 86
    edited March 2014
    This has to be the most vindictive community I have ever come across. I am sure all of you who are happy about this have NEVER done any thing wrong... am I correct? Because all of you are perfect people who have never broke ANY rule? Yeah, I call BS. Remember your joy at this next time you get a traffic ticket, or any punishment for that mater. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, or hey even those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. But hey, maybe you are all perfect people.

Sucks about your friend man this game needs every player it can get, but he took a risk when he did it. Also there is no guarantee that is why he got a ban. It could have been for any number of reasons.

I am pissed about all this too. I spent over $200 on zen through steam and was told that it didn't count. Which means I will never have one of these pets that are really good when upgraded, and offer a better bonus (imo) than the other stones. But that is fair right, that a really crappy promotion did make this game Pay 2 win. Because you all love pay to win games right?
    edited March 2014
    vverg wrote: »
    Are they also using VPN, cleaning all cache and cookies? (as Launcher seems to be partly webbased) If not Cryptic can still find them ;).

Cryptic couldn't even find and delete the BoE stones in guild banks in their own game.

I really don't see them being willing, let alone able, to track someone down that way. And what if it is a shared web-connection - banning the wrong person on a shared connection such as a hall of residence or suchlike woudl be hideously bad publicity. Trying to track an IP connection back to an user is relatively time consuming work and near impossible to automate if you want to be anywhere near 100% sure you are right.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    w00t! Go Cryptic Go!

Make a few more "mistakes" and thresh off some more chaff!

I hope we hear dozens (hundreds!) more of these reports.

Go Go Go! Ban Hammer! Ban Hammer!
    edited March 2014
    zyphxx wrote: »
    This has to be the most vindictive community I have ever come across. I am sure all of you who are happy about this have NEVER done any thing wrong... am I correct? Because all of you are perfect people who have never broke ANY rule? Yeah, I call BS. Remember your joy at this next time you get a traffic ticket, or any punishment for that mater. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, or hey even those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. But hey, maybe you are all perfect people.

Sucks about your friend man this game needs every player it can get, but he took a risk when he did it. Also there is no guarantee that is why he got a ban. It could have been for any number of reasons.

I am pissed about all this too. I spent over $200 on zen through steam and was told that it didn't count. Which means I will never have one of these pets that are really good when upgraded, and offer a better bonus (imo) than the other stones. But that is fair right, that a really crappy promotion did make this game Pay 2 win. Because you all love pay to win games right?

Sort of agree.

No-one (well relatively few people) are asking for permbans. But most people would like to see some action - if only to show that Cryptic to finally decided that exploiting isn't being 'lucky' and it may have some drawbacks.

eldarth wrote: »
    w00t! Go Cryptic Go!

Not going to happen as I really, REALLY doubt that this will lead to mass bans, let alone mass permabans. Repeat customers are the most valuable players to a F2P MMO and Cryptic would effectively be committing suicide by permabanning all those that took part in this exploit. Perhaps the very worst offenders might get a slap on the wrist, but I doubt very much more than that.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    w00t! Go Cryptic Go!

Yes, because what this game really needs is fewer paying customers.:rolleyes:

Anyway - I'd take this report with a pinch of salt.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
    edited March 2014

My thoughts exactly.....
  • logsiluvu1logsiluvu1 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Indeed, well people who spend money on this game are dumb anyway, so why not? :p
  • wentriswentris Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Not sure whats worse - no action at all, or permabanning paying customers on first detected tos violation...
    They should be punished - but not with a permaban. 30 days, maybe even 7, since its 1st time cryptic is doing anything and clearing gold/ad on whole account should be enough
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »

I would guess they aren't going by what character is selling them but by who qualified for the promotion and drew hundreds of the things out and just because we only know about one person so far does not mean it is only one person who has been penalized , the forum community makes up a minuscule fraction of the overall community.
    wentris wrote: »
    Not sure whats worse - no action at all, or permabanning paying customers on first detected tos violation...
    They should be punished - but not with a permaban. 30 days, maybe even 7, since its 1st time cryptic is doing anything and clearing gold/ad on whole account should be enough

Kinda agree with this , I would think a short ban might make people think twice if a exploit pops up in future . But if this is a true report we don't know if the guy has done stuff in the past to deserve a perma ban , I think this isn't the first time they have banned players though ( if this turns out to be true ) I'm pretty sure a few players got banned when module 1 came out for sharing the Arcane reservoir allowing them to get into Malabogs realm before they should have or something along those lines , not sure if it was a rumor or true though.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
    edited March 2014
    wentris wrote: »

Permabans aren't going to happen, as they are (given the requirements for claiming the Stone) a guaranteed way of getting rid of a repeat paying customer, probably permanently. Cleaning all the AD/gold in the account isn't going to happen either as that would probably be seen by those affected as unfair, again quite possibly leading to the loss of a repeat paying customer.

I can see a 3 or 7 day ban happening as has occurred before. Any more than that and the player might find another F2P game or just decide to stay away for good.

Not saying this is right or fair, just the way things are likely to go down....
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    zyphxx wrote: »
    This has to be the most vindictive community I have ever come across. I am sure all of you who are happy about this have NEVER done any thing wrong... am I correct?

You are correct. Most of us are responsible enough that had we discovered this exploit, we might experiment to confirm it (in this case, post it to AH then immediately take it down) and report it to the Devs as an exploit. However, based on your comment it sounds like (read: appears) you have a twinge of concern in your mind.

As for traffic tickets and the rest - if you get one then you get what you deserved. Whenever you do something you know is wrong you are gambling that you won't get caught. Sometimes you lose the bet. So be it. When that happens take your licks and don't whining about it. I repeat my sympathy for all who got caught in this: PLONK!

Whether there really is a ban or even just a temporary blockage does't matter. I agree this entire report should be taken with a 'grain of salt" - but if nothing else, it's a moral-booster to those of us who at least try to do the good things and be honest about it.

(Note to @Zyphxx: I'm not chastising you on your comment, I'm just reiterating my utter disdain for these types of exploiters and answering your question directly. I've no intention of accusing you of anything whatsoever.)
  • zyphxxzyphxx Member Posts: 86
    edited March 2014
    You are correct. Most of us are responsible enough that had we discovered this exploit, we might experiment to confirm it (in this case, post it to AH then immediately take it down) and report it to the Devs as an exploit. However, based on your comment it sounds like (read: appears) you have a twinge of concern in your mind.

As for traffic tickets and the rest - if you get one then you get what you deserved. Whenever you do something you know is wrong you are gambling that you won't get caught. Sometimes you lose the bet. So be it. When that happens take your licks and don't whining about it. I repeat my sympathy for all who got caught in this: PLONK!

Whether there really is a ban or even just a temporary blockage does't matter. I agree this entire report should be taken with a 'grain of salt" - but if nothing else, it's a moral-booster to those of us who at least try to do the good things and be honest about it.

(Note to @Zyphxx: I'm not chastising you on your comment, I'm just reiterating my utter disdain for these types of exploiters and answering your question directly. I've no intention of accusing you of anything whatsoever.)

Did you read the part where I am pissed that I DON'T have one? If I had one (or more) and had been trading them, I would not be pissed that I don't have one. I would not be pissed that $200 didn't qualify me for the stone that I would REALLY like to have. I think this whole thing from front to back has been one of the worst handled "promotions" I have ever seen in a game.
This discussion has been closed.