test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

About module 3: the curse of icewind dale

Comments

• savraisavrai Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like the idea that quest reward xp will no longer be lost to the void. Even a tiny enhancement would be nice.

And I personally don't consider the solo dailies a grind, I just consider them the game. Sure, sometimes I need to manufacture a way in my head to make them more entertaining, but that's what RPGs are all about! I welcome more solo content!!
    *Legit Community*

Heather - Ranger
    James - Paladin
    Jet - Warlock
    Royal - Cleric
    Gray - Rogue
    Red - Wizard
    Ios - Barbarian
  • cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited March 2014
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    hetz000 wrote: »
    Dungeon Keys

We will be replacing the existing, time-based dungeon delve events, with a new system that relies on having dungeon keys so that you can adventure at your leisure.

I poked the appropriate people to have that text updated to a more accurate representation of our plans. Thanks!
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Now we just need the announcement on when it will appear on the preview server.

:D
  • silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    While the new dungeon definitely catched my attention - it seems to involve a (big?) outside zone like Malabog's castle -, the perspective of more solo grind doesn't appeal me at all. That's only a supposition but I don't see how they could make a dungeon with a village and fishing boats. So, meh, more of the same stuff, probably a lot of useless small solo instances and few group content, as usual. :/

Honestly I don't mind a solo grind like that...

BUT...

If they're going to do it the way its done in Sharandar and Dread Ring... then they are going to need at least 10 quests per NPC. So at least a good 40 different quests with 4 NPCs giving them.

The biggest problem is that they get so repetitious and you already know them the minute you see them. The solution to this is to make a lot more of them per zone, so that there's so many possibilities you won't see the same one once every couple days, but rather, every couple of weeks.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    dardove wrote: »
    Now we just need the announcement on when it will appear on the preview server.

:D

I am with you on this. I even sent a tweet to Craig Zinkievich thru our guild's site twitter feed
  • alcibaides415bcalcibaides415bc Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This module sounds really good, but I'll wait until i see how it is implemented.
  • kirkcaldykirkcaldy Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Post-60 Advancement

Once you hit 60, XP that you accumulate will start to provide you with rewards, rather than be lost in a void.

Great news. :cool:

• chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Icewind Dale. Yay!

Having experience be useful after 60 is a nice change I think. Gives more incentive to do the dailies and makes it feel less futile. Depending on what the "rewards" are of course.

It mentions PvP matchmaking but there is no mention of PvE matchmaking. The LFG channel is not the most efficient way of finding someone to fill out a group.

The words "item progression" worry me a little. Another AD sink?

The heroic encounters sound like a nice change of pace. Wonder if grouping is "on the fly".

It seems the new profession is superfluous. Why not just add the new black ice gear to the appropriate existing profession?

Yetis and a beholder? Nice!
  • wintersbrethwintersbreth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I don't honestly think so. There is no word about any new class yet. And its not been mentioned in any of the teasers.

Also, I'm still firmly of the belief that. Ranger slipped past its due date, putting the Dev team one class behind. We should of got Ranger with Sharandar. It simply was tailor fit for the theme. That means we should of got Warlock with Dread Ring. It also would of fit the theme. Had that happened, Druid for Icewind Dale would of fit perfectly. Instead we are off one, putting Warlock in Icewind. Assuming that didn't slip behind and end up pushed to the next module.

This makes more sense then any theory I've heard about the "next" class.
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the only thing that i DONT like in that announcement is "PVP Campaign"

unless i miss my guess, that means that in order to experience all the new content/gain all the rewards, i'm going to HAVE to pvp, something I LOATHE doing.

also, from the sound of it, they havent learned their lesson from Gaunt, and are rolling out ANOTHER faction-based system. in EVERY MMO i have ever played that had some kind of faction system the forces you to choose a side, one side in invariably heavily outnumbered and outgunned.
    Tenebris lux mea est
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    the only thing that i DONT like in that announcement is "PVP Campaign"

unless i miss my guess, that means that in order to experience all the new content/gain all the rewards, i'm going to HAVE to pvp, something I LOATHE doing.

That is the point of this whole module.........
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    also, from the sound of it, they havent learned their lesson from Gaunt, and are rolling out ANOTHER faction-based system. in EVERY MMO i have ever played that had some kind of faction system the forces you to choose a side, one side in invariably heavily outnumbered and outgunned.

Mercenary Contracts

There are two new factions being introduced that will serve as the basis of the conflict over Black Ice in Icewind Dale: the local council of Ten-Towners capitalizing on the black ice trade to grow their wealth, and the Arcane Brotherhood who seeks to unlock the mysteries behind the black ice. Each offer temporary contracts to adventurers to further their goals in Icewind Dale.

The fact that they are temporary contracts makes me think you won't be locked into one faction or another which will allow people to balance the sides out better.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The post indicates that the factions are based on "temporary contracts" which sounds like players will be able to select a fresh alliance as they see fit, possibly with every event. So I think they're being quite mindful of the potential for imbalance in a system where switching sides is onerous.

I wonder if the PvP campaign will have PvP-oriented rewards of limited interest to strict PvE players, or if it will offer an alternate means to the same end as the PvE campaign, giving the PvP players a way to obtain their boons without being forced to do the kind of content they dislike. Remains to be seen.

It sounds like it has potential.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • asmodeus451asmodeus451 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ya, as long as the rewards for both the PVP and PVE campaigns are identical, thus not forcing ppl who dislike one or the other to play that content, i'll be happy.

trouble is, I dont think cryptic has that kind of foresight
    Tenebris lux mea est
    edited March 2014
    I have a very important question.

Will Caer-Konig have postal service?

Neverwinter Census 2017

• kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The new updates sound smashing!

I'm uber excited, and now just waiting on a date so I can clear my schedule for a few days... lol ;)
    va8Ru.gif
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Of COURSE not, silly person!
    That would be CONVENIENT!

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Twilight Tor (Winter Festival) had one. So I dont see a reason to not. Unless theyre so isolated that they cant contact their familes, friends or w/e outside the town. o_O
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • tornnomartornnomar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Lets see:

A new crafting profession
    Items that can temporarily, greatly increase stats
    Item changes for progression
    battles for single, two or three, to dozens of toons
    Mercenary contracts, new enemies
    PVP campaign area and PVP changes. Yes, you may have to deal the grief, because there are some that are salivating already at the possible chance that they may get to reaffirm how manly/womanly they are by stalking the undergeared.
    New PVE content and more...
    ya, as long as the rewards for both the PVP and PVE campaigns are identical, thus not forcing ppl who dislike one or the other to play that content, i'll be happy.

Plus two biggies for me:
    Post 60 advancement. Yes the experience was nice for leveling companions but it was lacking. Finally all that experience may be put to good use.
    Dungeon Keys. This is the big kahuna as far as I'm concerned. The DD event is nice, but with a time based event you've created a mindset that speed is everything therefore alienating certain classes that have become "useless" to some people.
    The ability to be able to run a dungeon when your able to play has always been a downfall in this game for me. Log in and hope to hell that a DD event is going to occur during the time(s) that one is able to play. People will now be able plan runs as a guild or a group of friends. "hey, this Saturday at such and such a time we're running SP!"

As for new class(es) I really hope they hold off until they get the ones they have corrected and working as intended.
    [img][/img]NORresized.png
    Branch Lead
    edited March 2014
    Twilight Tor (Winter Festival) had one. So I dont see a reason to not. Unless theyre so isolated that they cant contact their familes, friends or w/e outside the town. o_O

So far only the seasonal zones have had postal service so I wouldn't expect it a new mailbox in mod 3.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Mercenary Contracts

There are two new factions being introduced that will serve as the basis of the conflict over Black Ice in Icewind Dale: the local council of Ten-Towners capitalizing on the black ice trade to grow their wealth, and the Arcane Brotherhood who seeks to unlock the mysteries behind the black ice. Each offer temporary contracts to adventurers to further their goals in Icewind Dale.

The fact that they are temporary contracts makes me think you won't be locked into one faction or another which will allow people to balance the sides out better.

If you'Re just gunning for quests or the rewards you still will choose the superior side every time. And I doubt the few purely interested in PVP are enough to balance things.
  • dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So far only they seasonal zones have had postal service so I wouldn't expect it a new mailbox in mod 3.

Which can explained cuz Sharandar was really isolated til the forged an alliance with Neverwinter due to Malabog threat (no pun intended with GFs) and Dread Ring... Is Dread Ring, just an encampment. All in all, Im just deviating.
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
    edited March 2014
    I am fully willing to accept that Sharandar doesn't get mail because it's on another plane. Dread Ring is a little harder to swallow, but ok, *fine*, it's not really a settlement. No mailbox and no courier standing around all the time waiting for you to collect your AH monies.

That said, mailboxes were included in events that would run for an extended period but were still temporary, reducing the need for players to waste some of their limited event time in travelling back and forth to deal with menial tasks.

So there's justification for forcing players to keep checking back in at PE to maintain it as a permanent activity hub, although from a lore and quality of life perspective, mail in a permanent settlement only makes sense.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've been afraid of the remorhaz almost as much as beholders.
    Hopefully they can't swallow us whole!

...Wouldn't mind a baby version as a companion, tho.
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
    edited March 2014
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Akar_Kessell

Last paragraph seems to be set-up for Mod 3.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Akar_Kessell

Last paragraph seems to be set-up for Mod 3.

Yep I want to see how Cryptic makes Akar in wrath form look....I'm sure they will do it justice.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • duthgar1976duthgar1976 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    All I have to say about this is "it's about **** time"
  • lpsxlpsx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I second that, (all we need now is new race, class, guild upgrades......
  • x0y1x0y1 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No new class like the Warlock and still no foundry changes like boss fights/rewards/scripts that is a disappointment.......
This discussion has been closed.