test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The House of Riddles (NW-DUJWL46HG)

robpol89robpol89 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Foundry Quest Database
Hello!

The House of Riddles is my new quest. It was posted yesterday!

It is a story driven riddle quest. It also contains a few secrets for rangers and fighters. The story is loyal to the Forgotten Realms world; it does not stray away from the canon.

It can be currently found in the 'For Review' tab and the short code is NW-DUJWL46HG.

I would be glad to trade reviews with people, you can tell me about your quests in the responses below.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

PS. I have been an author since the very beginning of the game and most of my author friends are no longer with us. If you wish, feel free to befriend me in game!
Post edited by robpol89 on

Comments

• melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I played with my level 60 DC. I like riddles and a rather good at them, which is why I was happy to play your quest. It was quite short, however, and it may attract more players if you make it longer and add some combat or exploration? Maybe I missed something since I don't play a ranger or a fighter? If you do expand it I will be happy to replay it and revise my in-game review.

Play through notes:

-You might consider changing the sky and backdrop with the Edit Backdrop option. Of course you could want the brightness of the default sky but it seemed odd to see Mt. Hotenow on the horizon when the overworld map showed the swamp in the northeast of the Sword Mountains. There are mountain range backdrops if you want to show that instead.
    -I thought it was a little strange that you used the overworld map when I went through the portal. Not necessarily wrong but it seemed unlikely I would be able to choose to go somewhere else when I was going through a mysterious portal.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • robpol89robpol89 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I played your quest Tower of the lost wizards and I loved it! With a lvl60 Dc too!

About the sky, that is not the one that i have chosen but for some reason it didn't show. The same goes for some pieces of music and sound fx. I will look further into it, this is the first version of the quest.

I used the overworld map in such a way to allow players who may have disconnected or else to be able to journey back to the house of riddles.
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hmm, not sure why the Edit Backdrop isn't working. Maybe try the Master Sky (the black one) that works well with overrides?

As for the music, the Backdrop music does not work well at this time (they say there is a fix en route to us in a month or so-ish ). If you place a sound node from the Special Menu that is more reliable.

Also, I realized I may not have had any combat simply because I got all the riddles right, is that correct?
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • robpol89robpol89 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That is correct.

Also, this is how I have placed the sounds already.

I will try another sky to see if my luck changes!
    edited February 2014
    It is now fixed.

The sky is dark purple and there's mountains in the background. This adds to the overall atmosphere and the validity of the location.

I have also scattered a few goblins in the forest and added a camp where 3 trolls are roasting meat; similar to the scene in the hobbit!

The sounds appear to be working too.
  • stevedestinystevedestiny Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi. I will trade reviews. My quest is Blutsauger Cathedral (under reviews tab) [NW-DBCMMYX9M] If you like gothic horror and vampires...this is the quest for you. Ok off to play and review your quest.
  • dtzdtz Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Alright, my thoughts, as they come up:

*You should put a water volume in the Swamp of Sorrows to make it look more swampy. This will probably also help the outer areas of the map look less empty, but you really should plop down some trees out there, too.
    *Uncheck "use world map" when you go through the portal to the House of Riddles. It seems really weird to be selecting your destination via this means.
    EDIT: Just read your explanation for why above, but this isn't necessary. You can always travel to Foundry maps from the world map if you've gotten out; that's why it requires you to select a map dot and an icon even if you don't select the destination from the world map within the quest itself.
    *It seems really weird for a guy to be named after a plane of eternal battle.
    *That was... Incredibly short. It seems like it really needs some padding out after you answer the riddles. It feels like freeing Acheron is where the quest should really start, to find the wizard and take revenge or something, but... Nothing. That's it.

There's a link to my quest thread in my sig. Chapter 4 is currently in need of reviews, but I recommend at least playing Chapter 3 first if you want to get the full story.
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild, now archived on Youtube!
    edited February 2014
    dtz wrote: »
    Alright, my thoughts, as they come up:

*You should put a water volume in the Swamp of Sorrows to make it look more swampy. This will probably also help the outer areas of the map look less empty, but you really should plop down some trees out there, too.
    *Uncheck "use world map" when you go through the portal to the House of Riddles. It seems really weird to be selecting your destination via this means.
    EDIT: Just read your explanation for why above, but this isn't necessary. You can always travel to Foundry maps from the world map if you've gotten out; that's why it requires you to select a map dot and an icon even if you don't select the destination from the world map within the quest itself.
    *It seems really weird for a guy to be named after a plane of eternal battle.
    *That was... Incredibly short. It seems like it really needs some padding out after you answer the riddles. It feels like freeing Acheron is where the quest should really start, to find the wizard and take revenge or something, but... Nothing. That's it.

There's a link to my quest thread in my sig. Chapter 4 is currently in need of reviews, but I recommend at least playing Chapter 3 first if you want to get the full story.

Your first suggestion is well founded on the basis that the area presented is a swamp and I agree with you.

After that, your logic is flawed and your suggestions are based on belief. It is not necessary either to enter directly.

Acheron is the name of a Greek river believed to be the river of the dead in ancient times. The boatman would lead the souls of the dead to Hades or the Elyssian fields based on their deeds and spiritual standing. It is not an eternal field of battle. It was a place of healing and atonement. This is why the Necromanteion was build on its shores.

Other than that, I tried to play your quest. It started really strong with investigation but it turnt into a grindfest with excessive encounters. I played with 14k ranger.

As a final note, I would like to say that I do not appreciate your attitude nor the two-star rating that you gave for a fully functional quest that embraces the casual player. As it is evident in my first post, I came here on a friendly basis to meet fellow authors. I did not come here to argue nor measure whose 'foundry spear' is the longest.
    edited February 2014
    Hi. I will trade reviews. My quest is Blutsauger Cathedral (under reviews tab) [NW-DBCMMYX9M] If you like gothic horror and vampires...this is the quest for you. Ok off to play and review your quest.

Thank you very much for your review Steve! I am going to play your quest as well.

I will surely enjoy it as I have played lots of vampire games in the past. My favourite is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.
    edited February 2014
    Steve your quest was truly amazing and a joy to play! Amazing maps, well placed and well paced fights for this sort of adventure. The story was strong too. I sent u a friend request in game. You have gained a subscriber.
  • dtzdtz Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    robpol89 wrote: »
    Acheron is the name of a Greek river believed to be the river of the dead in ancient times. The boatman would lead the souls of the dead to Hades or the Elyssian fields based on their deeds and spiritual standing. It is not an eternal field of battle. It was a place of healing and atonement. This is why the Necromanteion was build on its shores.
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Acheron
    As a final note, I would like to say that I do not appreciate your attitude nor the two-star rating that you gave for a fully functional quest that embraces the casual player. As it is evident in my first post, I came here on a friendly basis to meet fellow authors. I did not come here to argue nor measure whose 'foundry spear' is the longest.
    Coming on a friendly basis to meet fellow authors does not and should not mean only looking for positive feedback. It behooves no one to withhold legitimate criticism on the basis that it might hurt someone's feelings. You asked for honest opinions, and I gave mine: I went through a portal in a swamp, answered seven riddles, and collected my reward. It was incredibly brief and largely uneventful, and I stand by my two star rating.
    Rank 8 Foundry Grand Master

Check out my Foundry questline, The Brightstone Explorers' Guild, now archived on Youtube!
  • myrmecoleonmyrmecoleon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 94
    edited February 2014
    I gave this a go on my GF. Thought it was interesting with some fun riddles, though (as others have noted) a bit on the short side, assuming that the player answers all the riddles correctly. Here's a few more detailed notes.

- I like what you did with the cooking pit and the wolves, but the camera angle for the dialogue with White Wolf is a bit too low (because the model is so short), meaning that the player can see through the ground into the cooking pit. Not sure how to fix this, though.
    - In Enigma's dialogue, "He wanted eternal vegeance" should be "vengeance".
    - I intentionally gave the wrong answer to every riddle to check out the combat mechanics. I could handle all the encounters fine as a 60 GF (drinking only one potion), but I thought the Battle Wight Commander could be a bit tough for less geared players - the main reason being that the size of the shack makes it very difficult to avoid its self-heal AoE, so the player could be forced to take substantially, unavoidable damage.
    - The penultimate riddle spawns two costumed Savage Ogres, which could be tough for some players due to not having the space to dodge. Giving the wrong answer to the last riddle also seemed to spawn just one ogre, which makes the encounter easier than than the preceding one.
    Crimson Descent (NW-DRWNLMGYV) - Solo 15-20m combat-focused adventure
  • kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Had a go at this on my GWF last night, gave a max tip and props for ingenuity...

Some suggestions:

- Main halls with the "rocks" covering square "windows" are ugly, leaving spaces showing the blue map outside... Add waterfalls there?

- Toadstool jumps seem quirky and the rounded edges of them are easy to fall off of... Guess it adds some skill to the jumping, but can get frustrating

- Pathing for finding the purple mushrooms @ 2nd challenge seems confusing... Found myself running around the grassy hills looking for them... recommend revising

- 3rd challenge... Falling down into the water does not kill you... I think it should as it is implied or at least threatened
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
    edited February 2014
    Thank you very much for playing Myrmecoleon!

I am aware of the cooking pit issue that you reported. The only way to fix that would be to use one of the other few options for meat. I will look into it. Thanks for pointing out the typo as well.

About the fighting. 'Ogres' are strong opponents. That's how I chose them to appear in the final two riddles, if you make the wrong choice. These are the final riddles and based on the story, the evil sorcerer did not intend to allow Acheron's spirit to be released; rather, he cursed him in this manner to torture him further and destroy anybody who would attempt to free him. Acheron is forced to witness the means of his release for 'eternity' while being unable to act.

Anyways, ogre type of encounters are really slow and u can dodge them easily. I have played all of the fights with all of my characters and had no problems. The battle wight commander can be tricky for inexperienced players. In all cases, the riddles are easy enough as the possible answers are provided but if anyone experiences problems with the fights, I will surely make them easier.

Thanks again for playing and I will check out your quests as well!
    edited February 2014
    kolbe11 wrote: »
    Had a go at this on my GWF last night, gave a max tip and props for ingenuity...

Some suggestions:

- Main halls with the "rocks" covering square "windows" are ugly, leaving spaces showing the blue map outside... Add waterfalls there?

- Toadstool jumps seem quirky and the rounded edges of them are easy to fall off of... Guess it adds some skill to the jumping, but can get frustrating

- Pathing for finding the purple mushrooms @ 2nd challenge seems confusing... Found myself running around the grassy hills looking for them... recommend revising

- 3rd challenge... Falling down into the water does not kill you... I think it should as it is implied or at least threatened

;)

Kolbe! I'm afraid you posted in the wrong thread :p
  • kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    robpol89 wrote: »
    ;)

Kolbe! I'm afraid you posted in the wrong thread :p

Swore I did yours... went to foundries and searched for riddles (was too lazy to use FoundryID). Will go back tonight and review.

ty!
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad