test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Quitting PvP because you lost the lead?

thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2014 in PvE Discussion
I know all about the player quitting because he is getting trolled by an experienced guild/geared players, and I can understand that. Heck, I've done it myself. Simply pointless jumping down from your campfire and getting instajibbed while the score is 800 to 0. However, on the weekend I had two seemingly balanced PvP rounds end in the dump because players quit after they lost the lead.

On the first occasion my PUG fought back from 500 - 200 down to lead 800 - 600 and then one of the enemy players quit, followed by another. Why? I've won a PvP round when we were down 950 to 850 and we ended up winning by 20-odd points. It's not over until it is over.

Then on the second occasion we were down 300 - 100, but we had been fighting on mid node for about 5-minutes with no team able to stake a foothold. Eventually we lost it and I said to the party that if we focus middle we can get it back. Boom, two people quit. We were able to hurt and kill them, so why run away?
PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
Post edited by thestaggy on

Comments

• charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi welcome.
  • demidogzdemidogz Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Any of the following:

>> real life called

>> virtual ego, afraid to lose like it even matters

>> think they're in Sword Art Online, character dies, player dies(leaves)

>> went to mourn their character's death

>> leave because match became unbalanced

>> hates a specific teammate

>> pissed by a specific opponent
  • utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Usually, its because disconnection. When it happens, the silly system just kicks you out of the game.

There are some rare cases with "eccentric" people that they just rage quit for some petty reasons. Heck, there was a guy who kept talking trash about his teammates and how **** they are for half of the game then quit because he got killed the second time while his team was winning. More ridiculous, he pm his teammates and insulted them for letting him get killed???
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
  • nap1985nap1985 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Petty immature children (or adults) that would rather screw you out of the win than officially lose. This is common in every mmo I've played. Likely only going to get worse as certain cultures become shallower, lazier, more immature and...well, you know.
  • demidogzdemidogz Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    utuwer wrote: »
    Usually, its because disconnection. When it happens, the silly system just kicks you out of the game.

There are some rare cases with "eccentric" people that they just rage quit for some petty reasons. Heck, there was a guy who kept talking trash about his teammates and how **** they are for half of the game then quit because he got killed the second time while his team was winning. More ridiculous, he pm his teammates and insulted them for letting him get killed???

Oops forgot about disconnection, yep that's usually the case, and somehow always happens to the players in the losing team, what a coincidence.

Well, that eccentric person you described must visit a psychiatrist, immediately.
  • yukimaru153yukimaru153 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    love the SAO ref XD. It does seem like that though haha
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, maybe it is something innocent, but in PvP you never know and it was just too coincidental. Once the balance looked like it was shifting people left, just seemed odd.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Happens most pug teams every match, the second it goes where it's not a steamroll people leave.
  • zargorius666zargorius666 Member Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Yesterday I did a PVP match (40-49), both teams crashed on 2, the only enemy GWF got killed twice and quit immediately leaving the other 4 guys to fight it out, which is what they did, till the end.

One of those cases where the remaining 4 should have received a bonus and the scumbag who left a penalty.
  • tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like the matches when my team has 3 quitters before the gate even drops down.
  • kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Quitting at comparable odds is a lame thing.

Quitting in the face of premades is a good thing.

Stick a middle finger right at those tardbags and boycott the fight.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If I'm the only one keeping the score close by running around the map like a chicken with my head cut off capping points and see all 4 people on my team standing between points 1 and 2 chasing a kill while those points are red and I ask them to stand on point and they ignore me I will sometimes leave, even if I'm winning the match, because I don't want to give free wins to ****ty teamates that refuse to help. Of if I'm capping a point and its 3/4s blue and I see teamates run away from a contested point to come get there free 300 points I will leave sometimes. Basically any behavior that shows me that my teammates are more interested in their own personal score than a team victory can cause me to quit a match, at any point, regardless of the score.
  • atorzatorz Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm not justifying this by any means, BUT the reason why people do that, its because even if you are having an awesome match, there's really no point to it, you lose, you get <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> rewards, simple as that.

Heck, I lost a match yesterday from 980-1000, and was second on the most points, yet got a crappy 300ish glory, wich, well its not worth it for the 20 minutes I spent in there.
    Until they fix the rewards for lossing, this is gona keep happening, even with a penatly for leaving.
  • tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    it`s how it`s made. not worth playing for 50% reward if you see the loss.
    and coming back is mostly due to disconnects, too big bet that it `ll happen.
    if people play for reward then.

even if the score is the same, someone can decide to stop because he/she is boosting the rest and don`t want to do 50% of the work. and the other 4 the other 50% ;p
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I don't personally know why someone would bother to fight 10 minutes in a match just to leave because they are now getting 50% for losing. By leaving you get 0%...

Usually people leave because they are not going to win, but I have seen people leave for all sorts of reason...such as
    Not winning
    Not ROFLSTMPN
    Getting ROFLSTMPD
    Getting 5v1 at mid because 4 teammates went to home base at start
    Some people also actually leave because the other team is not a challenge
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    people should just stop complain and dev should make it autofill with a new one, and the reward change/adjustment with it.

because there`s 5 million reasons why someone can leave :D
    anyway, i`m not realy excited about people leaving, seen it so much. it`s something you can count on.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Lol. I just finished a match just like this. We began to fall behind. Three of my team-mates left. Me and my last team-mate carried on for a while, then she left too. She was angry at the farmers. Anyway, I told the zone I was heading to mid for one on one if they wanted. I went. I waited. No-one came.

At this point by the way, the score was us 26, them 566.

I realised that not onlymhad mynteam left, but the entire enemy team as well.

Lol.

I capped all three points, won. And recieved 670 glory and an achievement for headhunting.

I did feel lonely though during. I sat and looked at the moon for a while, and noticed the skybox is actually quite nice. Atmospheric is the word...
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Lol. I just finished a match just like this. We began to fall behind. Three of my team-mates left. Me and my last team-mate carried on for a while, then she left too. She was angry at the farmers. Anyway, I told the zone I was heading to mid for one on one if they wanted. I went. I waited. No-one came.

At this point by the way, the score was us 26, them 566.

I realised that not only had my team left, but the entire enemy team as well.

Lol.

I capped all three points, won. And recieved 670 glory and an achievement for headhunting.

I did feel lonely though during. I sat and looked at the moon for a while, and noticed the skybox is actually quite nice. Atmospheric is the word...
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tickdoff wrote: »
    I like the matches when my team has 3 quitters before the gate even drops down.

I do not say that I like it, but I can understand that someone quits if there are 3 teammates with level 15 underwear and no t3 mount.
    You just see ... the green underwear guys/gals do not care. So why should someone else?
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Lost the lead can be interpreted in a lot of ways.

Some people simply quit because they are the quitter type.

Some people quit because they don't like what the team is doing, it is like if you don't like a sport you wouldn't watch a game of that sport right?
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Some people quit because it's the only/best option. When your pug group runs to 2, gets rolled by a premade, and 3 people quit, you don't have a lot of options. When that premade turns out to be a bunch of... well, you know how some people can be, and ends up showing everyone how awesome they are by hanging out at the base of your camp, en masse, taunting the one or two players left who haven't even been able to hit the 500 point mark, while trying to glitch their way up to the campfire, what point does it make to stick around? You aren't earning any glory, you're just giving jerks an avenue to display their true nature without repercussion.

I've been on the other end of that as well, and I always try to make sure the ones who stick it out get their minimum score, then offer up some 1:1 if they are interested.

Speaking of 1:1, I did have a particular guild group make me that same offer. Killed their DC, killed their TR, then the GWF challenged me next and, what do you know, the TR and DC joined in as well. lol I guess the little squishy, lone CW hurt their ego?

Or the guild group I faced the other day, when I was the only one left in my party, sitting on my point talking with one of their group, when the rest comes up and attacks me 4:1. lol Good times.

People have to realize that acting like jerks turns a lot of people away from PvP. I'm not suggesting we all hold hands here and have a sing-a-long by the campfire, but at the same time, we need to generally be a little cognizant of ourselves as a community. If there isn't a solid PvP community, there isn't much incentive for the devs to bother with changes and new PvP content. If you foster a supportive, engaging community, it increases the chances that Cryptic works to support that community and make PvP a more engaging experience as well.
  • ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    Then on the second occasion we were down 300 - 100, but we had been fighting on mid node for about 5-minutes with no team able to stake a foothold. Eventually we lost it and I said to the party that if we focus middle we can get it back. Boom, two people quit. We were able to hurt and kill them, so why run away?

There are many reasons people quit.

1 - per time spent, being on a losing team is not worth it for the reward. You end up ahead by quitting and getting a win even if you spent 15 mins already.

2 - Some folks get frustrated when they know their team should be winning but folks seemingly go out of their way to not win.

3 - Massively outgeared. It's not fun if there is someone on the opposing team that essentially can 1 shot everyone and can't be killed.
  • theheroshieldtheheroshield Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Is there a way to disable the messages you receive from the opposing team in PVP? One of the two reasons I leave PVP (aside from life calling--hey when you gotta go you gotta go!) is getting insulted by the other team. I don't mind losing, and I can deal (but do not like) the lesser rewards as a result, but it's really annoying to read a bunch of 'usux' in the chatbox.

also, twst, totally. Do we really need to act like 12 year olds? Maybe the developers would give PVP more attention if there wasn't a bunch of jerks running around steamrolling for the sake of their ego.
  • lazureelazuree Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tcarnce wrote: »

even if the score is the same, someone can decide to stop because he/she is boosting the rest and don`t want to do 50% of the work. and the other 4 the other 50% ;p

this so much this... sometimes I get sick of carrying and ending up in last place
    If you are standing idly on an already capped point while I 1 v 3... in my mind, you don't deserve to win even though we are winning
  • jazharajazhara Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I only bail when i pug and hit a premade, i had one guy threaten to **** my mother when i told my whole team to quit since we had ZERO chance(we where all pve'ers doing pvp to earn the skull)

if you dont like the pvp system let cryptic know it needs fixed.

one major fix would be to allow people to use another method to ear the skull and companion since those are the only 2 parts worth grinding pvp for.

yeah it may seem silly but, alot of us would love the skull for stuff like CN runs where one idiot opening a mimic can endup with dead squishies pretty fast....(those **** things hit hard!!!)

vanguard script or drake seals, or a mix(a way to make use of script would be great......and give people a reason to do dailies and skermishes that are kinda pointless once you work up a bunch of script.......

this would remove people like myself who hate nw's form of pvp where deep pockets or endless time to grind = **** of those like myself who do not have deep pockets or endless time to grind.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    New news article about matchmaking and leavers penalty , doesn't say much , I think its aimed toward players who don't read the forum a lot. http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1097881
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Is there a way to disable the messages you receive from the opposing team in PVP? One of the two reasons I leave PVP (aside from life calling--hey when you gotta go you gotta go!) is getting insulted by the other team. I don't mind losing, and I can deal (but do not like) the lesser rewards as a result, but it's really annoying to read a bunch of 'usux' in the chatbox.

Click the gear-looking icon.
    Disable "zone" and you will not see chat from any pvp instances at all.
    Disable "say" and you will not see the chat specific to the pvp instance you are currently in.

Chat works the same way for all instances of all zones, but the "say" channel has applications specific to pvp since it can be viewed by both teams. It gets used for both trashtalk and announcing that your team has left you shorthanded.

Chat to zone will be broadcast to all active instances of Hotenow/Rivenscar pvp and is really just confusing, since you'll see things from people who are not in your arena and don't apply to you.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I read the posting on PvP penalties and all of the devs asked each other if TIME was a good penalty for PvP leavers and they all agreed - and it was so. OK guys here's the deal. People play PvP for 3 main reasons: 1. Glory, 2. AD, and 3. The Artifact. yes, I understand that there are some who still need/want the Companion and or the armor. TIME does not penalize what is of value.

Better solution: Penalize leavers (no penalty for disconnect) Glory and AD at 2 Glory per character level and 5 RAD per character level and reduce their present supply (even to making it negative) each time a player leaves. losing 120 Glory at level 60 is going to hurt if you stay and the result would be 'No Reward". Nothing is better than -120. Getting your 4k RAD and finding it's 3700 is upsetting, but its a good penalty. Especially if you already planned to spend the 4K and are 200 short. Both of the penalties are, in a round about way TIME penalties. because the player has to spend more PvP time to regain the lost glory and the lost AD.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Click the gear-looking icon.
    Disable "zone" and you will not see chat from any pvp instances at all.
    Disable "say" and you will not see the chat specific to the pvp instance you are currently in.

Chat works the same way for all instances of all zones, but the "say" channel has applications specific to pvp since it can be viewed by both teams. It gets used for both trashtalk and announcing that your team has left you shorthanded.

Chat to zone will be broadcast to all active instances of Hotenow/Rivenscar pvp and is really just confusing, since you'll see things from people who are not in your arena and don't apply to you.

also notable, even if you disable /zone and /say, if you have a player in view and they say something in either chat zone, you will see it above their head.

the best thing to do is to just ignore it. it makes some people feel better to trash talk... although whether or not it's acceptable behavior is questionable. if someone is exceptionally abusive, you can always enable the chat zones, get screenshots and submit them to support as a report.

whether you think a report does anything or not, it's better to submit it and it be on record than to do nothing.

as for the disconnects, if you do disconnect, you can reconnect and not be penalized.

also, i would expect penalties to go through a few changes in the future. in my humble opinion.
  • twstdechotwstdecho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 630 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Penalties for leaving are pointless. All you're going to get is people who give up and sit at the campfire instead of people who quit. You've fixed absolutely nothing in this manner. Not a thing.