test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hunter Ranger Guide

Comments

• voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I have now put up the new t 2.5 pvp gear Note they are a subject to change so dont hold your breath on them lolz the stats are crazy with full PvP gear you will have

Full gear and weapon set

3725 Power
    1615 Crit
    759 Deflection
    759 Regen
    1057 Tenacity
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just the gear is well worth getting!

Is it a glory earned set and how much is it?
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
    edited January 2014
    for the 4 pieces of gear you need minimal of 20k glory atm i am thinking about 30 or so more k for the full set and pvp accesorys i am gonna post the set up in my updated pvp build guide look there but the stats imho are ****ing amazing on the new pvp set this set is basicaly a direct upgrad of the t1 pvp set with ouyt the life steal it actualy gives deflection.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    Yeah looks like a nice set even for PvE, especially with the Fallen Dragon weapons to sort out the ArP.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited January 2014
    The set bonus for the armor set is armor pen though i still get about 1.7k not even trying
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    *nod* exactly, in fact looking forward to trading ArP for Crit.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited January 2014
    Thats the best part about this set lol with just rank 7 azure you should be able to hit 2.5k crit easy even with deffensive jewels
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    I will have about 2.5k deflection and 2.5k crit once i set up right also one more thing to not the bow set seems to be tied in with the armor set cuas its a 7 set bonus but you only need 4 pieces to get the set bonus i would use 4 pieces of 2.5 armor the weapon set head and boots and get master predator chest and gloves
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    Here let me show you what i mean noys8i.png
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah looks like a nice set even for PvE, especially with the Fallen Dragon weapons to sort out the ArP.

You say its good for pve, which is my focus, but the tenacity stat is for pvp only right? Is it on a piece of gear that we can leave out? Otherwise it seems we're loosing something. I agree those stats would be amazing and exactly what I'd look for, but the tenacity seems like wasted points for pve.

I'm just wondering what you mean, and if we can leave the tenacity out or would it not even make a difference. :)
    edited January 2014
    Doesn't make a difference.

I'll use my GG set to grind up a new set once it goes live and do some real testing. Sadly I don't have time to mess with it on preview anymore.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited January 2014
    The T 2.5 PvP Set is so good you can PvE with it tenacity or not that what he means
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kaylos29kaylos29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    voltomey wrote: »
    The T 2.5 PvP Set is so good you can PvE with it tenacity or not that what he means

Any chance you could list the stats by peice? Can't really see master predator from gateway since it is never on the AH and of course the new pvp set being on preview. I keep meaning to write tehm down at home, by always forget to.

edit: I think the Tier 2.5 set includes the weapon set in the set bonus. At leas *** showed up for em that way on preview. I didn't test it. If that is the case, you could use a mixture of 4/2 peices of either set, get both set bonuses and one of the 4 peice bonuses. For example, I was looking at Head/Chest/Arms/Blades Master Predator + Boots/Bow Shadow Stalker. I'll test it when I get home, and perhaps remember to write teh stats down by peice.

Is that 2500 Power correct for Bow/Blades Shadow Stalker? Seems out of place. I didn't look that closely last time on preview.
    Mindflayer - Exodus
    Daria - Dwarf Sentinel GWF (mistaken for Halfling a lot)
    Karia (aka "The Pug") - Human Combat HR
    Kayd - Human Conqueror GF - Retired
    edited January 2014
    kaylos29 wrote: »
    Any chance you could list the stats by peice? Can't really see master predator from gateway since it is never on the AH and of course the new pvp set being on preview. I keep meaning to write tehm down at home, by always forget to.

Armor

Tunic
    397 Power
    397 crit
    262 defence
    186 deflection
    186 regen
    259 tenacity

Boots

255 power
    255 crit strike
    174 defence
    120 regeneration
    120 deflection
    167 tenacity

Helm

255 power
    255 crit strike
    174 defence
    120 regeneration
    120 deflection
    167 tenacity

Bracers

255 power
    255 crit strike
    174 defence
    120 regeneration
    120 deflection
    167 tenacity

Blade
    902 power
    198 Crit strike
    93 deflection
    93 regen
    130 Tenacity

Bow
    1661 Power
    255 crit
    120 deflection
    120 regen
    167 Tenacity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kaylos29kaylos29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Much appreciated. That is some crazy power on the bow.
    Mindflayer - Exodus
    Daria - Dwarf Sentinel GWF (mistaken for Halfling a lot)
    Karia (aka "The Pug") - Human Combat HR
    Kayd - Human Conqueror GF - Retired
    edited January 2014
    What is the Damage on the Bow and Blades?

Anyway I crunched some numbers and the Shadow Tracker set is about on par with the other t2/t2.5 sets, except the Dread Legion (which it is noticeably behind) and new Master Predator (which it is noticeably above). So what makes it attractive is the particular combination of stats it offers, which is only really matched by the Dread set, which is arguably far harder to get than the Shadow Tracker set.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What is the Damage on the Bow and Blades?

Anyway I crunched some numbers and the Shadow Tracker set is about on par with the other t2/t2.5 sets, except the Dread Legion (which it is noticeably behind) and new Master Predator (which it is noticeably above). So what makes it attractive is the particular combination of stats it offers, which is only really matched by the Dread set, which is arguably far harder to get than the Shadow Tracker set.

The damages of Shadow Tracker bow and blades are the same as Master Predator ones.
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
    edited January 2014
    So the Fallen Dragon set is still the one for the Shadow Tracker.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • lambadklambadk Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    "Deleted" (couldn't find the button)
    edited February 2014
    voltomey wrote: »
    Choosing a race for your Ranger!

Lets start By talking about the Three Best races for DPS Half-Orc Drow and Wood Elves.

Half Orc Can Run tanky Builds As well Balanced ones

Half-Orc: Note i didn't list the 20Dex Build for This race its just Two weak In Wis to make it worth wild
    This race has a Dex and Str Trait Bonus
    For a Balanced DPS Build HR Roll 18Dex 15Str 15Wis.25Dex22Wis18Str Buffed
    For a More Tanky HR Roll 17Dex 15 Str 14Con 13Wis All in Con/Wis for 20Dex 18Str 21Con 20Wis Buffed
    For PvP High Dex DPS Roll 18Dex 18Str 12Wis Put everything in Wis and Dex 25Dex 21Str 19wis Buffed
    Balanced PvP DPS 20Dex 15Str 13Wis Put 4 Into Str 6 into Wis 2 into Dex Thats 23Dex 20Str 20Wis Buffed

Wood Elves and Drow are in the same Boat they can Run Very High DPS output Builds They can even up ther two best DPS atributes also overload on it.

Drow:
    This Race Has Dex Wis and Cha Traits Bonus
    Hard DPS Roll 20Dex 15Wis 13Str This gives 27Dex 22Wis 16Str Buffed
    Balanced DPS Roll 18Dex 15Wis 15Str This Gives 25 Dex/22 Wis/ 18str Buffed
    Even Wis/Dex Build 18Dex 18Wis 12Str This gives 25Dex 25Wis and 14Str Buffed
    High Cha Build Roll 17 Dex 14 Wis 14 Cha Put everything in Wis and Int for 20 Dex 21 Wis and 21Cha 16Str Buffed

Wood Elf:
    This Race Has Dex Wis and Int Trait Bonuses
    Hard DPS Roll 20Dex 15Wis 13Str This gives 27Dex 22Wis 16Str Buffed
    Balanced DPS Roll 18Dex 15Wis 15Str This Gives 25 Dex/22 Wis/ 18str Buffed
    Even Wis/Dex Build 18Dex 18Wis 12Str This gives 25Dex 25Wis and 14Str Buffed
    High Int Build Roll 17 Dex 14 Wis 14 INT Put every thing in Wis and Int for 20 Dex 21 Wis and 21Int 16Str Buffed

OH THE HORROR OF LEARNING WHAT TOO GOOGLE! :-(

I'm what could be described as a lazy perfectionist/elitist (as in I want to do as good as possible, but I'm not really into number crunching for farming 36486 hours for that +3 crit item or buff...) and I've now played the game roughly 30 hours in game over the past 10 days.

I started out a Guardian Fighter (which I still have @ lvl 24) and then a Devoted Cleric, as I've always been tank and healer in other MMO's. The Cleric didn't really do it for me, so while one of my mates tried out GF and really liked it, I thought I'd go for at Hunter-thingie. I looked through the races, clicked human to see what stats were needed for the class and went back to select Half-Orc, due to the racial traits and that it adds both strength and dexterity. As I had read them, DEX and STR were the main things to do damage, so I went with those. Currently my Uro Jankos-Khai is lvl 17 and has 20 DEX, 20 STR and 13 WIS, which I thought to be close to AWESOME, until I found this.

Now I want to reroll and my main question is; what to?

Am I right, assuming that the racial bonus on Half-Orc is actually awesome enough, to warrant +2 STR over +2 WIS? - And what does the Drow and Wood Elf get for comparison?

(continues)
    edited February 2014
    In short; I couldn't give a rats ... (behind, if you please) if I have horns, tails or tentacles - as long as my stats are the best possible to start off.

I haven't played enough to be certain what is actually the best, so if some of you guys would spend 10 minutes answering the following, making my 'OCD' slow down a bit, it'd be REALLY great. :-)

Important questions:
    1) I want to play Hunter Ranger. What race should I pick? (and preferably why. I don't know what all the stats does for me, so an explanation to why the +3% defense of human is desireable would be nice (for example))
    2) Which starting "build"/roll? (DEX 18/STR 13/WIS 13 or...?)
    3) What stats do I look for on gear? (My guess is something like this: crit (to 40%) = ArP (to ???) > power > ???)
    4) What type of companion is most desireable for doing things with a friend playing a GF? (All from 2 man questing to dungeons to skirmishes, etc.)
    5) Which profession is fastest to get to level 3? I assume I'll be having Leadership, Leatherworking, Alchemy and Weaponsmithing and especially LS to 10 is something I like on my own GF, so I'd like that fast on this too, but which is fastest to 3 to unlock the extra slot quickly?

Semi-important questions:
    6) None of us (my and my mate playing a GF) are the biggest of PvP'ers, so what 'route' should I take if I'm strictly PvE? I have NO clue about the feats and powers and ... :-)
    7) Referring to the above; can/should I aim for the 'hard dps' stats when picking my race or what is the main need for an archery-based hunter looking to PvE mainly (97,636% of the time)?

Less important questions:
    8) If I am to spend some moneyses on this game, which I wouldn't mind doing as I like the game, where do I get the most out of it? Getting an epic companion? Getting a better mount? Buying a pack with all sorts of things?
    9) How does one, as matter of fact, get more character-slots? I've been looking for it since day 1 and I see the Zen symbol, but I can't find it in game. I may just be blind.

Thanks in advance!
    edited February 2014
    I guess the aboves were either too many or too hard questions.

I'll just buy the extra character-slots and have a look at it myself. No worries.

I'll need to have a look at the racials and if the Drow and/or Wood Elf ones aren't quite amazing, I guess I'll just go Half-Orc balanced for the extra crit severity, whatever that is.
    edited February 2014
    Well personally I've been a little busy with other stuff to come to the forums until today.

Best Races: Wood Elf, Drow, Half-Orc - why best flexibility with stats. As you have already discovered boosting Str is pretty much irrelevant so I favor Wood Elf & Drow over the Half-Orc.

So Stats
    At level 60 with Campfire you want 16 Str, 26 Dex and 20 Wis. How important Int (Recharge), Cha (Combat Advantage dmg) and Con (HP) are to you then depend on your build.

Considering you get +6 to a stat from leveling and +1 from campfire that means a starting Dex of 17 is recommended for the Dex boosting Races.

The roll you want is: 17 , 13, 13, 11 , 11, 10 with the 11's in Int and Cha typically.
    This will give you the best options for all builds.

So with Wood Elf/Drow you get (with Campfire);
    Str 13+2+1=16
    Con 10+2 +1 = 13
    Dex 17+6+1 = 26
    Int 11+2+1 = 14
    Wis 13+6+1 = 20
    Cha 11 +2 +1 = 14

The problem with Half-Orcs is its essentially impossible to get the best final stat array, however if you want to be serious about PvP then the Half-Orc is a more attractive option because the +2 Str will matter more.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    edited February 2014
    lambadk wrote: »
    1) I want to play Hunter Ranger. What race should I pick? (and preferably why. I don't know what all the stats does for me, so an explanation to why the +3% defense of human is desireable would be nice (for example))
    2) Which starting "build"/roll? (DEX 18/STR 13/WIS 13 or...?)
    Both answered above.
    3) What stats do I look for on gear? (My guess is something like this: crit (to 40%) = ArP (to ???) > power > ???)
    Power/Crit/Defense/Deflect with Recovery and ArP being the other 2. The basics are that ArP is fairly common on HR gear so it is more the other stats you need to keep an eye on.
    4) What type of companion is most desireable for doing things with a friend playing a GF? (All from 2 man questing to dungeons to skirmishes, etc.)
    If you are going for an Archery based play-style the Man-At-Arms is the best free companion, the Cleric is a good second pet. The current call to arms Wolf is a solid pet as well, as is the Wererat Thief (once you are earning Drake seals).
    For free artifact get the Waters.
    5) Which profession is fastest to get to level 3? I assume I'll be having Leadership, Leatherworking, Alchemy and Weaponsmithing and especially LS to 10 is something I like on my own GF, so I'd like that fast on this too, but which is fastest to 3 to unlock the extra slot quickly?
    Beats me which is fastest. Just level Leadership, it doesn't take long and the XP and AD it gives are useful while leveling a character.
    Semi-important questions:
    6) None of us (my and my mate playing a GF) are the biggest of PvP'ers, so what 'route' should I take if I'm strictly PvE? I have NO clue about the feats and powers and ... :-)
    Well there is DPS or Nature.
    This is my current archery focused build: http://nwcalc.com/hr?b=p9b:4ixq4:5ywj,19i3iei:6z50u:b5100:60000&h=0&p=swd
    My nature build: http://nwcalc.com/hr?b=p9b:4ixq4:5ywj,1fi3iii:6u000:60000:bu5z1&h=0&p=swd
    7) Referring to the above; can/should I aim for the 'hard dps' stats when picking my race or what is the main need for an archery-based hunter looking to PvE mainly (97,636% of the time)?
    The only time stats should vaary much from my prior post is for PvP builds.
    Less important questions:
    8) If I am to spend some moneyses on this game, which I wouldn't mind doing as I like the game, where do I get the most out of it? Getting an epic companion? Getting a better mount? Buying a pack with all sorts of things?
    I recommend the Knight of the Feywild pack (good pet for leveling, purple mount and 600k AD). If you want to spend as little as possible its buy a mount (Purple) and then raise AD for everything else, though Stone/Cat pets are worth getting if you are in a hurry.
    9) How does one, as matter of fact, get more character-slots? I've been looking for it since day 1 and I see the Zen symbol, but I can't find it in game. I may just be blind.
    Get Zen (money or a lot of AD) is the only way if you want them on 1 account.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Question: Is there a 2 peice set bonus on the 2.5 PVP weapons? This changes the math a little bit.
    On 'optimal' stats. I rolled a 1/2 orc. I am 1 under your posted goals in int and cha and 3 over in str. It is hard to estimate how much difference a little more dodge makes but given that I play a pretty mobile HR I find it worthy, and there is little to complain about in furious assault eapecially in such a crit-heavy class. I understand the Cha but I'm really not seeing the need for more Int.
  • utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    Question: Is there a 2 peice set bonus on the 2.5 PVP weapons? This changes the math a little bit.
    On 'optimal' stats. I rolled a 1/2 orc. I am 1 under your posted goals in int and cha and 3 over in str. It is hard to estimate how much difference a little more dodge makes but given that I play a pretty mobile HR I find it worthy, and there is little to complain about in furious assault eapecially in such a crit-heavy class. I understand the Cha but I'm really not seeing the need for more Int.

Nope.

The old T2.5 set used to include main hand and off hand weapons as parts of the set. Sadly, they changed it.
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well. All that power on the bow still makes it pretty much worth it.
    edited February 2014
    Well there is DPS or Nature.
    This is my current archery focused build: http://nwcalc.com/hr?b=p9b:4ixq4:5ywj,19i3iei:6z50u:b5100:60000&h=0&p=swd
    In total; thanks for all the answers!

I'm a bit curious about this though. Why have more max hp above more dmg in the paragon points (or whatever they're called)?

Also; I can see that my current 35 ranger, while having done a lot of things "right" (if what you post can be counted as the truth), also have lacks - which I also noticed myself rather fast.

Before seeing your post here, I went and bought enough Zen for an additional bag, 2 extra character slots and a stone of allure companion and then spent the rest on keys. I think it was 13 keys or so I got. I've been a lucky punk with the keys, opening and trading away anything I couldn't immediately use, I obtained several Ancient Mulrohand items, including 2x longbow (1 I use) and a bunch of leadership profession people of which most are now traded for 2 heroes. Also I have about 1 million AD, so in total; I got what I paid for........ and more, I think. :-)

Now; if I want to make "the perfect HR", PvE archer-style (primarily, I know I kind of have to use melee too to play up to my best) - what should I do? (And let me make it clear that when I say "perfect", it's as in best race, best stat-roll for what I want to do - nothing to do with items, etc. Can't spend a fortune on this.)

Would you still recommend that I buy that Knight of Feywild pack?
    While an epic pet is 'always welcome', I dont' really think it looks that good, or is it just me who doesn't understand what it's active bonus actually does? I've read that many use a hawk gained in some hunter package, even at end-game.
    Artifact; You mentioned the waters - why on earth? I just did the quest on my GF to see which you were talking about and the water one gives perfect sense for a tank imo, but for a hunter I'm more than happy about my lantern on my current. What is it I'm missing?

Endgame wise; While I won't be PvP'ing and won't be a hardcore'ish player, what should I aim for to get the most out of my gaming experience?
    - and what can I start working on already before level 60? (like maybe getting weaponsmith and leatherworker to 20 to craft epics or... I don't know really :D)
    If you could pick any 3 companions for a PvE archer HR, which three would it be and why? (I'm guessing you'll say Stone of Allure, but what more - and why?)

Any other comments before I go make my alt HR?

(Disclaimer; I know it may seem a bit extreme to make another HR, just for the sake of it, but I've actually tried all 6 classes to lvl 10 now and HR is THE only class I REALLY have fun as. GF and DC were also alright, but terrible at solo play, which I do roughly half the time.)
    edited March 2014
    Ok given how you spent your $$ already the Feywild pack is irrelevant. Just get a Purple mount and you are pretty much done for any sort of $$ spending (everything else can be earnt readily in game).

I've already answered about the Stats/Race combo.

Why not the Lantern? Because its stat bonuses are irrelevant once you have your epic gear - you will cap Crit and ArP without a problem. However the Waters' bonuses and ability are always going to be useful to you. If you are not going to work up the Raven Skull from PvP then the Waters is also a good salvager item for when things are not going as planned.

While leveling you might as well farm Leadership, you can level Weaponsmithing quickly without any problems once you hit 60 while you are farming up the resources you need for the Fallen Dragon bow.
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
  • greensaigreensai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 39
    edited March 2014
    Oh man this gives me so many questions!! I better go re-read the guide once more carefully then come back and ask. I do know that I will be buying a respect token though.