test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Iron Maiden: A Reflect-Based Protector Build for Swordmaster GF's.

Comments

• todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well I think it's perfect that you made your GF during this time when we are undesired. Our gear is significantly cheaper right now. Similar to GWF's, back then they had no place for PVE, then they were buffed, then nerfed again, then rebuffed. And now they're OP again and more desired than they initially were. It's only a matter of time before we can bring something nice to the table in PVE so best invest now. :)

As for soloing things, it may be slow at first and you'll have to be creative in order to make things faster. One of the things I like to do is to attract as much mobs as I can before actually facing them. I'd run from room to room and won't stop until I'm satisfied with the number of mobs I have collected. After which, I start soaking their attacks and watch them hurt themselves. I generate AP to do it all over again until their size gets significantly cut down. Bosses are more problematic because of their high HP. But I slot Lunging Strike, Bull Rush and Iron Warrior whenever I'm in boss fights in order to have some DPS as well.
  • ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    The guard regain(from depleted to full) is ~22s.
    After taking a hit, the guard need ~3,5s of piece(taking no other hit while regain phase is in process) to regain a % amount of the guard.
    If it take the last dead hit - breaking guard simple said - it's piecetime is ~6,5s to gain the first amount of guard. After this first, it go down to the ~3,5s CD.
    From empty to full it take alone ~16s.
    With Resolve feated it take ~20s from dead hit to full again.(a +10% guard regain is then a total of 110% guard regain like it is to other classes +10% stamina regeneration speed)

Example: Guard is at 50%:
    Hit take at 00:10 - first regain at 00:13,5
    Hit take at 00:16 - regain reset and fill guard again at 00:19,5
    Guard break at 00:20. Guard fill is at 00:26,5

If any question is unanswered then ask.
  • aethanasaethanas Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    G*d d*mn, man. Wow, I love it! I'm just DROOLING over that thing that thing right now, and I haven't even bought my Blacksmith yet. :( We've got a new best pal right here. 10% chance to increase our threat gain by 25% is huge. I wonder how long this buff will last. And does it stack when a new "Enrage" comes, or does it refresh the Threat multiplier? So much questions! I hope it lasts for a long time, and it'd be favorable as well if the new procs of Enrage will stack on top of the other so we'll get more multiplicative bonuses but that's wishful thinking. :p

But overall, I just love this new pet. I'll definitely get one. My Active Companion salvo will now be...

- Ioun Stone
    - Dread Warrior
    - Blacksmith
    - Thay Renegade Evoker
    - Pig

Might replace the Pig if we get a new companion bonus that suits tanks better, but so far the Pig's bonus is really awesome whenever we get CC-ed. Anyway, lots of fun stuff in store for us tanks. :) And thanks for the compliment btw, Lutz086! I had fun writing the guide.

Edit: Added Dread Warrior to the guide now! It's just too good to pass on.

Use your Dread Warrior combined with Villain's Menace when you get buffed by it and watch how a Guardian Fighter grows like the Hulk. :cool:

Right now, I am using: Pseudodragon, Sprite, Dread Warrior, Smith, Ioun Stone of Allure.
  • cyric993cyric993 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That's why threads like this are so important. New players just see all the threads on GFs about how they are totally useless and not worth playing and wont be excepted into groups, so they choose a different class. Its the people who like yourselves that give new ideas that will kickstart the class again. My experience from other MMOs is that if a class is so underplayed then its the last class to be looked at. Cannot blame the Devs as when all is said and done, they are running a business, so they are gonna concentrate on where they can make the most bucks. This means popular classes get looked at first. I see as its upto us to keep the GF class going until the Devs get round to it.
  • masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2014
    cyric993 wrote: »
    That's why threads like this are so important. New players just see all the threads on GFs about how they are totally useless and not worth playing and wont be excepted into groups, so they choose a different class. Its the people who like yourselves that give new ideas that will kickstart the class again. My experience from other MMOs is that if a class is so underplayed then its the last class to be looked at. Cannot blame the Devs as when all is said and done, they are running a business, so they are gonna concentrate on where they can make the most bucks. This means popular classes get looked at first. I see as its upto us to keep the GF class going until the Devs get round to it.

I totally agree with that +1000000 it is up to us as players to find whats great about each class. Since i switched to this I haven't really experienced too many wipes/leavers because no one but me is really getting hurt.

plus the devs are buffing the gf or so I've heard so good news everyone! lol.
    edited February 2014
    In the light of the upcoming changes for the Guardian Fighter what do you think about Guarded Assault? It is not good in terms of damage but for pvp and maybe only there it could be useful to keep Heal Depression up on the opponents while Guarding and even stealthed Rouges should be affected by it. (Way back as Tenebrous were not nerfed, I liked to use them and Guarded Assault together as they procced on it too and enemies killed themselves because they attacked me while I blocked.)
    edited February 2014
    ladysylvia wrote: »
    The guard regain(from depleted to full) is ~22s.
    After taking a hit, the guard need ~3,5s of piece(taking no other hit while regain phase is in process) to regain a % amount of the guard.
    If it take the last dead hit - breaking guard simple said - it's piecetime is ~6,5s to gain the first amount of guard. After this first, it go down to the ~3,5s CD.
    From empty to full it take alone ~16s.
    With Resolve feated it take ~20s from dead hit to full again.(a +10% guard regain is then a total of 110% guard regain like it is to other classes +10% stamina regeneration speed)

Example: Guard is at 50%:
    Hit take at 00:10 - first regain at 00:13,5
    Hit take at 00:16 - regain reset and fill guard again at 00:19,5
    Guard break at 00:20. Guard fill is at 00:26,5

If any question is unanswered then ask.

Cool. I guess I most probably will be considering staying with Fey Thistle. The reduction in time doesn't seem to be that big. Thanks for clarifying. :)
    aethanas wrote: »
    Use your Dread Warrior combined with Villain's Menace when you get buffed by it and watch how a Guardian Fighter grows like the Hulk. :cool:

Right now, I am using: Pseudodragon, Sprite, Dread Warrior, Smith, Ioun Stone of Allure.

I'd probably use Pseudodragon as well if only they weren't so costly. Last I saw in AH was 1m. And does the Dread Warrior buff have some sort of special animation? I know Villain's Menace makes you larger but I'm curious if the DW ACB has some sort of visual effects. :p TY in advance, man!
    cyric993 wrote: »

In essence it's actually true, that GF's will not be accepted into groups; mainly because people wish to speed things up with CW's. This "speed running" is basically the same thing some people (mainly CW's) have complained about before regarding TR's which is "stealth running" dungeons to the end, bypassing mobs and just facing bosses. But balance shifts quickly in NW. CW's will be corrected and GF's will be brought into the same competitive level as everyone else. It's only a matter of time.

So I agree, it's up to us to keep the class alive and to love it when people are too busy using whatever the flavor of the month class is.
    I totally agree with that +1000000 it is up to us as players to find whats great about each class. Since i switched to this I haven't really experienced too many wipes/leavers because no one but me is really getting hurt.

plus the devs are buffing the gf or so I've heard so good news everyone! lol.

VERY good buffs, they are. Permanent -10% damage dealt by the boss with Daunting Challenge + Perma Mark, and we can increase this to 20% with the Protector capstone. :) We've got a lot of nice things waiting for us and this is just the start.
  • sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Will this build work if the Int stat won't reach 20? My initial stat roll won't allow me to ever reach that point - so is it worth trying this build when my Int will only score 16 (17 with campfire)?
  • firstookamikazefirstookamikaze Member Posts: 48
    edited February 2014
    Hello, don't fear about 1 or 2 point missing on int : your goal should be to reach 20 sec or less on knight challenge and 10 sec or less on knight valor.
    If your int isn't enough you can just add a bit more recovery.
    This build is really great and can be personalised a lot : don't fear trying it

Ps : i apologize for my poor english (not my own language)
    edited February 2014
    Yes, like firstookamikaze said, it'll definitely work even without the 20 INT. Pump your points to CON + STR/DEX and you should be fine. This build will work as long as you have Supremacy of Steel + Steel Defense which is the highlight of the Iron Maiden play style, and you can change practically anything save those 2 skills. So feel free to improvise and experiment! :)
  • dpskanedpskane Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2014
    hey there, you might be an expert in this, so ... have two questions, hope you can answer them.

first: does briartwine also *deflect* damage, i.e., with 10000 incoming damage and 4% reflect - my enemy gets 400 damage, but do i still get the full 10.000 or just 9.600?

second: how does it interfere with defense/deflect?
    so, say some 10.000 damage hit comes in and we have 40% damage reduction, 20% deflect chance (50% crit sev) and the top tier briartwine enchantment.
    what's the damage my attacker gets in the two cases
    a) deflect does not trigger or
    b) deflect does trigger?
    (and, in case the first question is answered with "yes, briartwine provides 4% flat deflect/DR", how much damage do i get in those two cases?)
    edited February 2014

I'd probably use Pseudodragon as well if only they weren't so costly. Last I saw in AH was 1m. And does the Dread Warrior buff have some sort of special animation? I know Villain's Menace makes you larger but I'm curious if the DW ACB has some sort of visual effects. :p TY in advance, man!

The Pseudodragon is nice, he refreshes not very much but it happens often and is a nice help. The animation for the buff of the Dread Warrior is like the one of Villain's Menace, just without the blow at the ground: the Guardian Fighter grows suddenly and is bigger and you hear that faint rumbling in the background, and then you can stack the animanion of the buff from Villain's Menace and he grows even more and is face to face with some bigger enemies probably like the Illithid hulks or the like.
  • mustikkasmustikkas Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Maybe I have missed something, but isn't armor penetration needed anymore?
    edited February 2014
    arm pen is always needed. Makes it so squishes are squishier and tanks not so tanky useful for all but cleric really. Not talking extreme lvls of it but enough for it to matter.

for instance most wiz have a dr of around 20-30 at 11% or so thats 9-19 dr

and 11 is good for trash.

damage isn't a main concern but it is there and i believe you get a resist ignored bonus from dex or str forget which so that covers much of what missing arm pen is.

Briartwine doesn't deflect damage to my knowledge it reflects damage could be wrong though because I've never had a perfect.

Edit- yes it does have a defensive purpose when kv is used the extra damage just for party being hit adds a small amount of damage that adds with sos thus allowing better aggro just not as much as thunder.
    edited February 2014
    hey there!
    so briartwine does basically have no defensive purpose, except that it *might* (very unlikely) kill an enemy by this reflection.
    it's rather offensive .... too bad, had hoped differently :)
    edited February 2014
    The Pseudodragon is nice, he refreshes not very much but it happens often and is a nice help. The animation for the buff of the Dread Warrior is like the one of Villain's Menace, just without the blow at the ground: the Guardian Fighter grows suddenly and is bigger and you hear that faint rumbling in the background, and then you can stack the animanion of the buff from Villain's Menace and he grows even more and is face to face with some bigger enemies probably like the Illithid hulks or the like.

Neat! I'm still working to get the AD's for my Dread Warrior. I like how we can grow as big as the Thoon Hulks with Villains Menace and this buff. :p Should be a good sight.
    mustikkas wrote: »
    Maybe I have missed something, but isn't armor penetration needed anymore?

It's still needed. You can get the ArPen you need from DEX and Gear. I just chose to forgo the ArP from gear since there are other ways to generate threat than just going for straight DPS although it can be slow at first.
    arm pen is always needed. Makes it so squishes are squishier and tanks not so tanky useful for all but cleric really. Not talking extreme lvls of it but enough for it to matter.

for instance most wiz have a dr of around 20-30 at 11% or so thats 9-19 dr

and 11 is good for trash.

damage isn't a main concern but it is there and i believe you get a resist ignored bonus from dex or str forget which so that covers much of what missing arm pen is.

Briartwine doesn't deflect damage to my knowledge it reflects damage could be wrong though because I've never had a perfect.

Edit- yes it does have a defensive purpose when kv is used the extra damage just for party being hit adds a small amount of damage that adds with sos thus allowing better aggro just not as much as thunder.
    dpskane wrote: »
    hey there!
    so briartwine does basically have no defensive purpose, except that it *might* (very unlikely) kill an enemy by this reflection.
    it's rather offensive .... too bad, had hoped differently :)

Thanks for answering some of the questions while I was away, Masterjewstar. You are correct.

To add input to your questions, dpskane, Briartwine's damage dealt is actually pretty negligible regardless of whether it generates damage with or without defenses/deflect being put into consideration. It's more of a utility enchantment for tanking. One of the problems some tank builds have is that they have to keep hitting mobs for them to maintain threat. But Briartwine fixes this problem as once the mob hits us, Briartwine immediately hits back, causing additional threat and refreshing their aggro against us. This makes it easier for us to maintain threat against them.
    edited February 2014
    surely Todes any time
    edited February 2014
    Just a quick update. I found a cheap way to incorporate Life Steal to the build while improving Regen in the process, though it's not that significant.

So what I plan on doing is switching out my my neck, rings and belt to the following items.

Changes:
    Change Current Defense Slots (Shield, Pants, Armor): Dark, Rank 6 x 3 (450 Life Steal)
    Ring: House Xorlarrin Signet - 175 Regen, 150 Life Steal
    Ring: House Xorlarrin Signet - 175 Regen, 150 Life Steal
    Neck: Bloodied Frostwolf Pelt - 100 Regen, 138 Life Steal, 138 ArPen
    Belt: Reinforced Frostpelt Girdle - 600 HP, 125 Regen, 150 Life Steal (Defense: +150 Life Steal)

Gains:
    Total Regen: 575 Regen (Previously 476 from Jewelry + Belt, Gained 99 Regen)
    Total Life Steal: 1188 (9% Life Steal)
    Total ArPen: 138 ArPen (Previously 250, now 388, grants 2% more for a total of 10% total with DEX factored)

Losses:
    Deflect: -401 (From Rings and 1 from Silver R7 on Shield, -2% Deflect Chance)
    Recovery: -266 Recovery (Neck + Belt, 1 from Silver R7 on Belt, -1% RSI, -1% AP Gain)
    Defense: -256 Defense (From Rings, -0.4% Damage Mitigation)
    Power: -266 Power (From Neck + Belt)
    HP: 1200 HP

In total, what hurts the most is the loss in Deflect Chance and HP. But doing so will allow me to gain more ArP, 9% Life Steal (which has been my stated goal) while still retaining our current standard for Regen, and this is without an Augment Companion. By setting up gear allocation like this, we'll be able to use and greatly benefit from the T5 Dread Ring Boon, Endless Consumption. Our main skills, Cleave, Aggravating Strike and Supremacy of Steel have no target cap, which will allow us to steal more life in the long run. The suggested gear are also really cheap, with Bloodied Frostwolf Pelt being the costliest amongst the changes. It can also be easily farmed in the Grey Wolf T1 Epic Dungeon.
    edited February 2014
    Neat! I'm still working to get the AD's for my Dread Warrior. I like how we can grow as big as the Thoon Hulks with Villains Menace and this buff. :p Should be a good sight.

Heck, I just realised that this threat generating buff is able to stack, I thought I confused something or did not pay enough attention but it is really the case that it is able to stack; I had two stacks and used Villain's Menace and my Guardian Fighter was as big as an Iron Golem in Fardelver's Crypt. xD

I could post my stats also and the stuff I used to reach them. I am still surprised how well this build works now, last time I tried something like this half-heartedly was back when Tenebrous Enchants were not nerfed.
    edited February 2014
    Heck, I just realised that this threat generating buff is able to stack, I thought I confused something or did not pay enough attention but it is really the case that it is able to stack; I had two stacks and used Villain's Menace and my Guardian Fighter was as big as an Iron Golem in Fardelver's Crypt. xD

I could post my stats also and the stuff I used to reach them. I am still surprised how well this build works now, last time I tried something like this half-heartedly was back when Tenebrous Enchants were not nerfed.

Wait, it stacks? You mean you can get more than 1 stack of that 35% Threat buff? REALLY nice. More info pls. :D

And yes please, if you can post how you incorporated Life Steal to your stat allocation please do so! I'm curious as to how the others did it. Been trying to find the best balance for this build and I'm pretty sure you guys managed to cook up good combinations.
    edited February 2014
    Yeah this build and the strategy behind it is really innovative and so is this discovery I might get one just for the threat buff.

my pocket is crying right now lol.

Edit: todes- nah (wishes) I don't have it; not yet (which is why my pocket was crying, lol) but its on my ever expanding to-do list lol.

having and maintaining ten characters makes it hard for any of them to be heavily geared but i do all right; they are at least at a level where dungeons aren't impossible for any of them.

hoping i get to see it before it gets fixed; if it gets fixed.

could you post a pic of it when you do that?

dpskane- Yeah aggro is not always how much they are hit its sometimes how often they are hit.

Athenas- Yeah this is how i wanted my gf to be like since the game came out: a leader type of tank with party buffs and amazing threat generation+survival and this thread really helped me accomplish that.

And could i add that signature to my list I'm trying to add quotes to it but i have a hard time thinking them up and that sounds like what i try to do on forum; just figured id ask instead of just stealing it.
    edited February 2014
    Hehe nice, you bought one, Masterjewstar? I think I'll be buying mine later, or probably just buy the ZEN now while it's cheap in ZAX and then wait for Thursday to see if by any chance there will be a sale on either Blacksmith or Dread Warrior. Still debating with myself as to which one I'll buy first.

One thing I'd like to do once I get my Dread Warrior, though, is to go to Tower District, Tab Mark every single mob I have in sight and have them all attack me just to see how much the Dread Warrior buff can stack... and possibly how large I can get. :p Aethenas made a really neat discovery.
    edited February 2014
    ah .... threat wise briiartwine is indeed quite helpful! thanks for the explanation!
  • coldiacoldia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hello todesfaelle,

what do you think of flaming enchant as the weapon enchant ? It may not be optimal but i like the visual, it is still viable ? Thanks.
    edited February 2014
    dpskane wrote: »
    ah .... threat wise briiartwine is indeed quite helpful! thanks for the explanation!

Yes, that's pretty much what people use Briartwine for. Going for perfect won't help too much, similar to Soulforged where Lesser is more often than not enough.
    coldia wrote: »
    Hello todesfaelle,

what do you think of flaming enchant as the weapon enchant ? It may not be optimal but i like the visual, it is still viable ? Thanks.

It's okay if you want to use Flaming. You can use whatever you wish as long as you make it work. Flaming builds DoT's so I guess you can use that to maintain your aggro which may end up being useful since you refresh your aggro each time the DoT ticks.
    edited February 2014
    yep and every time sos is up and damaging enemies the dot will refresh each hit-back too this build is great for hitting back while sustaining little damage to you if you are tanky enough. The strategy behind it will probably even work for conquerer but to a lesser extent damage soak wise but better damage.
    edited February 2014
    Hello everybody,

Who know how CC reduction works ?

Am i immune to cc (especialy knock back, bump, stun) when i reach 100% cc reduction ?
    Or it's working like dammages reduction ? (50% DR and then another 50% DR at the same time give you 75% DR, not 100%)

Pets are a bit too expensive for me, so i can't try it :(
    edited February 2014
    i thought cc reduction was either % shortening duration or chance of resisting it partially or entirely not entirely sure....
    edited February 2014
    Hello everybody,

Who know how CC reduction works ?

Am i immune to cc (especialy knock back, bump, stun) when i reach 100% cc reduction ?
    Or it's working like dammages reduction ? (50% DR and then another 50% DR at the same time give you 75% DR, not 100%)

Pets are a bit too expensive for me, so i can't try it :(

Hey, Firstookamikaze. CC reduction basically reduces the duration of the CC, but it's a multiplicative bonus rather than an additive bonus so you can never reach complete and total CC immunity by reaching 100% CC reduction.

And it's okay if pets are too expensive for you right now. You'll eventually get the AD's to purchase them. Just take your time. The fun in playing without relying on real life money is that you always have a goal that you strive for inside the game.
    edited February 2014
    Ho, ok : thank a lot for that feedback.

Build Nb. 347 (code name unstopable) : interrupted :p

Build Nb. 348 (code name swing machine) : in progress ;)