test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

First foundry quest for review - Happy Fun Time Adventures

rachiekrachiek Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Foundry Quest Database
My first foundry quest is complete. I've run it through with multiple characters and fixed everything I could find. I could really use a fresh pair of eyes on it though. My quest is named Happy Fun Time Adventures NW-DHKVN3M34. It actually shows up on the search for review if you just type "happy fun"

My quest has a singing bard, a merchant, my crazy humor and lots of "fun". Hope you will give it a try.

Thank you!
Post edited by rachiek on

Comments

• say1osay1o Member Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Sounds fun! I need a Happy Fun time after reading such a downer post somewhere else. Will give it a run now.

EDIT:
    Ok this was no happy fun time picnic at all. I was promised a picnic, maybe a bouncy house....

Fun Idea and concept. Which made an interesting design choice for you. I am not sure what your true intention is for this module so I can't exactly say if some things are just wrong, or just different. For example naming NPC Level 3 Adventurer. Strange... could be worked into the dialog for how I know they are level X. The Or's to this I thought of are too many on why you did it is this way.

Didn't see to much in the dialogs for errors. Nothing noticeable to jot down.

Maps:
    - No sound in the beginning. People there but it is like a library in there. Sound and music picks up in a couple fights later but then stops.
    - Too many of the same head on all the NPC's. I can see them all wearing the same uniform, but not al having the same head and hair. (Mix up the costumes add some variations throughout.) The madmen was neat though looking forward and not sure right away which were hostile and which were not.
    - I was able to skirt around a lot of fighting in the open area map. I did the required amount but then just horse footed it around. Could try to boarder your land if don't want them bypassing the game field.
    - The NPC's were kiting all the mobs for me on the rat tail mission. This made it too easy to sit back and pluck them off of them. Felt dirty like I was cheating.
    - The end was a bit abrupt. With all the talk in the front end, I would have expected a guild affiliate to check out with. Or even a return trip back tot he Inn where I started. This is up to you, but you could have either. Someone show up from the waterfall or a duplicate of the Inn to check out in. Give it a bit more closure at the end.
  • rachiekrachiek Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for trying out my quest! I appreciate it.

Yeah for some reason I can't add background music to the Inn. You can hear the bard's lute playing but that's about it. It's a custom map so I don't know if that is part of the problem.

Sorry you didn't have a happy fun time adventure. My quest is meant as a joke on some past mmo's I've played which are supposed to be fun but then...

The low level adventurers, kiting mobs, ability to skirt around mobs all bring back fond memories of my mmo experiences. I plan on adding another happy fun time adventure in the future which will add more "fun" quests and another trip to the Inn.

BTW did you purchase the bag of "magical weapons"?

Thanks again for trying my adventure out!
    edited February 2014
    No, I took the other option.

Yeah, I wasn't sure it was all part of the same theme or not. Like the NPC's kiting the mobs. Could have been unintentional. I thought the point was I didn't have a fun time? LOL But then again, from the description in catalog, maybe you are making it a recruiting quest for your guild? (or the guild in the quest) The speaking to player at the keyboard rather than to the character threw me off track.

Main buggyness is the sound. Are you using sound placeables for ambient or setting the ambient on the room properties? I have issues with ambients on the drop in speakers.
  • rachiekrachiek Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've been trying to get the sound to work under the background menu. I did notice the lute music is much softer than the other sound effects so if you don't have your speakers loud enough you won't even hear it. I'll keep trying to see if I can figure something else out on the sound issues.

I added a little more to the ending now. Bill the Fun Quest Giver comes back to talk to you and I think it wraps it up a little better. Thank you for mentioning the ending in your review. I myself like it much better now. :)
    edited February 2014
    The flute is the Lute player animation you set on an NPC behaviour. I noticed it is the same if you put them as FLute player its the same tune they play. ( a flute)
    edited February 2014
    I think I have the sound issues fixed now.

Thanks again for your input Say1o. I noticed you have some foundry quests up for review too. I'll try them out for you soon.
    edited February 2014
    Thanks! I still plan to reword my review so it doesn't sound negative.
  • tipadaknifetipadaknife Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Playing your quest now:

Bar, meeting people who I guess are your guildmates?

Not sure killing generic encounters is fun, even ironically.

Okay, just finished the adventure. It was a little tedious. Just a hundred encounters, one after another. The humor was lost.
    dec2014nwsig.png
    edited February 2014
    Wow you guys are tough lol. This is my first foundry quest.

It's a make believe guild and I did spend a lot of time on the madman and famous heroes. How do you make a rat not generic?

Plus the battles are recreating classic EQ1 action! How could you not love it?
  • myrmecoleonmyrmecoleon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 94
    edited February 2014
    Just tried this out - it was fun, and a good parody of MMO mechanics. Particularly liked the inn at the start and the outdoors segment with the adventurers being chased by the wererats (it gave the scene a nice, chaotic touch). The second half could use a bit more work, though - I know it might be part of the theme and feel of the adventure to use the Madman costume for the encounters, but it did feel a bit samey towards the end (even though the base encounters themselves were varied); perhaps lowering the volume of the encounters would help (there were a lot of them). Also caught a few quick typos:

- The Ruined Sword Hilt response to Rat: "it disintigrates to dust!" should be "disintegrates"; "aren't totally wothless" should be "worthless".
    - A few of the Madmen were named "A Madman", whereas most were named "Madman".
    Crimson Descent (NW-DRWNLMGYV) - Solo 15-20m combat-focused adventure
    edited February 2014
    Thank you for trying my quest! I really appreciate your feedback.

I'll go fix those typos and see what I can do about the madman variety problem.
    edited February 2014
    Ok I made a bunch of different types of madmen. There are now multiple elves, halflings, dwarves and humans. That last part of my quest is kind of battle heavy. I'll keep thinking about it and maybe throw in some type of side quest.
  • saiyaku87saiyaku87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    hey rachiek ^^ as per our agreement i just played your quest and here are my notes:

• you could add fire in the fireplace at the adventure's inn
    • you could add some ambiance sounds to the forest and change the music to a more forest-y one haha
    • you should make the final exit through the cave, instead of overall. I think you selected "overview map" instead of the cave

other than that it was very interesting haha very humorous and the way you used encounters was rly good :)
    the forest was cool as well, nice placing of the debris :)
    edited February 2014
    Thank you for the great ideas saiyaku87! I fixed that cave exit and a fire in the fireplace does make it look cool! I'll look more into those forest ambiance sounds because I think you are right about that as well.

I also added a side quest to the madman cave. If you collect all the components needed, there is now a way to fight less madmen.

Thanks again for the help! :)