test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crimson Descent - Trading reviews

myrmecoleonmyrmecoleon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 94
edited February 2014 in Foundry Quest Database
Crimson Descent
NW-DRWNLMGYV

Hi all,

After a long hiatus, I got the Foundry bug again around Christmas and put together my second Foundry adventure. I'd be really grateful if I could trade reviews with a few authors to take some impressions and iron out the bugs, typos, etc. The adventure is, broadly, a mostly linear combat-focused dungeon delve (sadly, I'm pretty awful at sprawling, freeform storytelling!) with a decent volume of optional dialogue and lore elements.

It should be medium difficulty for a solo player at maximum level, but I'm not entirely sure how players' power levels have evolved in the previous few months. To hedge against it being too difficult, there's an option to take along an NPC companion. The entire adventure should take around 15 minutes or so for a clean run, but it can be blitzed in about 10 minutes or so (I might need to add a few sections to the second map).

For testing purposes, the first hidden room is in the first hall with the red wizard/Engine encounter. The second hidden room is in the area between Glutton and the baatezu. There's quite a lot of text, so I'd be very grateful for any typos spotted.

Changelog

0.9b to 0.91b
- Changed Engine of the Tharchion base encounter to Bone Golem.
- Changed General Anskuld base encounter to Iron Golem.
- Changed Glutton speech animations.
- Changed global lighting.
- Added more invisible walls to General Anskuld / Tloque Nahuaque areas.
- Fixed several typos.

0.91b to 0.92b
- Changed Maintenance Golem base encounter to Foulspawn Berserker.
- Removed wall separating Stheno from the entrance to the next room to mitigate camera clipping.
- Fixed dagger not appearing properly at end of quest.
- Fixed raised ceiling after Glutton.
- Fixed portcullis to the Library of Celaeno opening and sound effect.
- Fixed several typos.

0.92b to 0.93b
- Changed Tahm Mulander base encounter to Formorian Witch.
- Added some decals and moved a few details.
- Added more invisible walls outside Glutton's room to prevent accidental pushbacks into lava.
- Corrected dialogue text and fixed several typos.

0.93b to 1.0
- Overhauled all music.
- Added labels to optional contact items.
- Added respawn points for mercenary NPC allies and additional dialogue.

gvdJ1tel.jpg

gvvkXZ0l.jpg

AF2irO4l.jpg
Crimson Descent (NW-DRWNLMGYV) - Solo 15-20m combat-focused adventure
Post edited by myrmecoleon on

Comments

• orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sure, I will take a look at this shortly, would you mind reviewing one or more quests from the campaign in my signature? You may need to search for "The Shadowfell Disciples" to find it.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Review.

Several of the bosses didn't seem to be customized. Specifically the Red Wizard at the start and the golem after him.
    The general seemed really easy, I would recommend switching his base encounter to an iron golem and make the actual iron golem a bone golem base encounter instead.
    I would recommend changing the end boss to a fomorian witch or totemist to make him feel more end boss like.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • basilisquebasilisque Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46
    edited January 2014
    ...did someone say REVIEW TRADE?!

Alright, I've run through this quest and it's generally d*mn good.
    The decoration obviously had a lot of effort put into it, the dialogue is well-fleshed out and the amount of optional reading available is almost staggering. However, I can't give you a flawless victory on this one.
    First off, I really don't like the way the first areas (the merc area and the first combat area) look. They're definitely not lacking in decoration, that's not it, the decoration just looks... off. There's a slight bit of this same feeling in the other areas, but had that was probably because of how cramped they were.

This brings me to my second criticism; some of the fighting spaces are very small. Now, this wouldn't in and of itself be too big of an issue most of the time, but in some places in this map there are other things which in conjunction with it makes it frustrating to deal with. What I'm talking about are the fights near the lava pit and the fight in the tiny tunnel with the maintenance golem.
    In the golem's case we're dealing with a fight that does a lot of big AOE stuff which is very ouchy and stuff and should be dodged. However, we're also in a closed space which makes doing so hard. Nice, this makes for a potentially challenging and fun fight.
    This is sadly completely overshadowed by the fact that I ended up fighting the camera instead. The cramped space I was fighting in kept forcing my camera into stupid positions, making the fight super annoying.
    As for the lava pit fights... Well, in the first one me and my dire wolf pushed the general into the pit and kept him there by body-blocking his way up. Fight fire with fire, amirite?
    The second one where I fight with the demon? This time the demon almost knocked ME into the lava instead. And since I don't have the get-out-of-pits superpower that all NPCs seem to possess I am not sure if I coulda' gotten up again. If there already is a path up then good thinking, but if there isn't I'd add one if I were you.

For my third criticism... Well, I honestly found no real challenge in this at all, and I didn't choose to have one of the mercs accompany me.
    It wasn't a complete lawnmowing, but I was never in any actual danger save maybe that lava pit affair.
    But, as I have said before, I may not be the best judge of this. I play as a GWF, level 53 at the time of playing, with a full set of regen gear and sentinel spec. I never use potions. Ever. They just stack up in my inventory, staring at me grudgingly for neglecting their health-restoring goodness.
    So... Uh, Idunno. Maybe add an option to crank up the difficulty some?

Despite all of this, however, this adventure is still top-of-the-heap as far as foundry content goes. The environments are well-detailed, the dialogue is solid and f*ck and some of the stuff you've done is super creative (on that note, when you speak to glutton he does an animation at the beginning of the conversation that breaks the whole chained-up illusion. I'd remove that if I were you).
    Especially considering how easily some people give out the rating of 4/5, this definitely deserves...

Final Score: 5/5. Tipped.
    Lookin' forward to playing more of your stuff. Also, whether it's on purpose or not: Kudos for having a GW2 avatar.

If you'd play and review as much of my campaign, The Botaniqarium, as you feel like then that'd be grandiose.
    Cheers!
    -Basilisque
    The Botanqarium
    Chapter One - A Construct's Prison: NW-DMSU8OJTV
    Chapter Two - Raggyon: NW-DGIZVSQPU
  • chieorichieori Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Greetings myrmecoleon!

I had the opportunity to run Crimson Descent today.

First off, let me say, that your dungeon designs are really good, I enjoyed all the touches and little effects. While some may say it seemed small and crowded, I don't kite mobs around the room to kill them, so the space was fine for me. Your story telling is really top notch, I found myself imagining what and how the person was talking as I read the text, that is a real treat.

Though I really enjoyed the quest, I did notice a few minor things ...

-Fronikann - "...patron requires a some assistance..." perhaps drop the "a"?

-hallway with maintenance golem - I did find this space very confining and had trouble with the camera angles, though I really liked the design of the hall itself.

-after Glutton fight, in the hall - the end wall/ceiling is offset a little and you can see gaps above the wall.

-at the end-after wizard dies - I interacted with the corpse, to plant the dagger, but I did not see a dagger on the ground or stuck in the corpse afterwards?

When you have time, please run Temple of the Wind NW-DM5JFJ3UL
    Campaign: Ashmadai Incursion
    [1] Devils in the Sewer :|: NW-DQ9WRV8HX :|: Daily Eligible :|: Featured
    [2] The Summoning :|: NW-DGG95NROO :|: Daily Eligible
    [3] Temple of the Winds :| NW-DM5JFJ3UL :|: Daily Eligible

Clan Ravenclaw :|: NW-DU3QXH237 :|: Daily Eligible
    Children's Babble :|: NW-DUD5EUH8A :|: Daily Eligible
    Solstice Academy :|: NW-DRJG6BIZM :|: Daily Eligible
  • myrmecoleonmyrmecoleon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 94
    edited January 2014
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback! The comments have been very useful indeed and I've made quite a lot of adjustments.
    Several of the bosses didn't seem to be customized. Specifically the Red Wizard at the start and the golem after him.

The first red wizard is slightly customised (the normal Thayan red is a bit too loud for me), but it's fairly difficult to see given his size. I haven't worked out a good way to customise the iron golem without making it look bizarre, though.
    The general seemed really easy, I would recommend switching his base encounter to an iron golem and make the actual iron golem a bone golem base encounter instead.

That's a great suggestion! I completely forgot that the iron golem carries a sword, which makes it suitable for the General encounter.
    I would recommend changing the end boss to a fomorian witch or totemist to make him feel more end boss like.

I've tried switching this around a few times (the existing base encounter is the Storm Shaman cyclops encounter), but I haven't noticed either the witch or the totemist being much more difficult than the shaman (they all seem fairly simple to deal with), but perhaps that's because I'm testing on a guardian fighter.
    basilisque wrote:
    First off, I really don't like the way the first areas (the merc area and the first combat area) look.

I know what you mean - those rooms look slightly off to me too. I think they're suffering from not having an organic enough look to them, i.e. that they don't quite look like feasible, natural rooms and more like a bunch of clutter being pushed together. I changed the lighting to rectify this slightly, but it's still not quite there.
    basilisque wrote:
    This is sadly completely overshadowed by the fact that I ended up fighting the camera instead. The cramped space I was fighting in kept forcing my camera into stupid positions, making the fight super annoying.
    chieori wrote:
    -hallway with maintenance golem - I did find this space very confining and had trouble with the camera angles, though I really liked the design of the hall itself.

Yes, I thought that would likely be a problem when I tested it. I made the ceiling very short for a claustrophobic feel, but that really doesn't work well with the confined space and the encounter's knock-up effect. Hmm.
    basilisque wrote:
    As for the lava pit fights... Well, in the first one me and my dire wolf pushed the general into the pit and kept him there by body-blocking his way up.

Oops. That shouldn't happen! There should be invisible walls preventing entry into the lava area. Still, I know from experience that they don't quite work as well as they should - particularly with knockdown and push skills. I'll reinforce the invisible walls and see if that works better.
    basilisque wrote:
    For my third criticism... Well, I honestly found no real challenge in this at all, and I didn't choose to have one of the mercs accompany me.

Serves me right for playtesting using a bugged Foundry rogue! I knew something wasn't quite right when I was losing half my health to two consecutive Easy encounters.
    chieori wrote:
    -at the end-after wizard dies - I interacted with the corpse, to plant the dagger, but I did not see a dagger on the ground or stuck in the corpse afterwards?

I accidentally set the dagger to disappear when the objective was completed. Doh.

Bizarrely, if the dagger is tilted at an angle to stick out from the ground, the dead body spawns balanced on top of the dagger. Whilst it might suggest that the corpse is both: (a) particularly stiff; and (b) impaled on a tiny dagger, I thought it was probably best to just leave the dagger lying on the ground.
  • casmelakcasmelak Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Crimson Descent by @myrmecoleon
    NW-DRWNLMGYV

====================================

Played, starred, tipped, and tagged.

Overall: This is a VERY well put together quest. Everything flowed nicely, there's a whole lot of detail and lore thrown in, the combat isn't overdone, but still offers something interesting. Just, great job in general. There are a few points that I'd consider changes to. The music choices seemed flat. Not that the music, in general, is bad or boring, but that there isn't much change throughout. I would have like to have some different music for the spider caverns, the oasis where the Meilikki statue is, etc. And the music that starts out seems out of place with what you're doing. Something more ominous, and less dramatic, I think, would be better for chatting with mercenaries and reading lore.

You've done a really good job with the editor. The environments are well thought-out and detailed. I couldn't find much to note there, so I'll just say, great job!

The story is more of a backdrop than the lead, but the characterization and dialogue, as well as lore, really push this over the top for me in terms of quality. I really enjoyed it.

I'd also recommend making the final Thayan guy an actual boss enemy. He's a pushover compared to a lot of the stuff you fight to get to him. Consider a Fomorian Witch

My detailed notes are below. I noticed a few awkward passages in the dialogue, and noted some things that I found curious. Please know that a lot of this is just stream of consciousness and can be taken with a grain of salt. If you find them useful, great! If not, no biggee.

SETTING -- Driftwood Inn

++++++++++++++++
    Details
    ++++++++++++++++

N/A

++++++++++++++++
    Dialogue
    ++++++++++++++++

Fronikann -
    It ain't an easy job, but I told 'im that I knew the right adventurer for the job.

Consider: 'job' used twice. 'the right adventurer for it.'

@Prompt:
    I think I can see where this is going.
    That's until three moons ago

Consider: Three months sounds like a long time to wait to send reinforcements.

SETTING -- Crimson Descent

++++++++++++++++
    Details
    ++++++++++++++++

+I really like the design and detail of the first area.
    +I like all the interactable lore items

-Maybe dial the dramatic music back a bit upon entry. The chanting, epic, music is good, but kind of distracting when I'm reading a map, talking to NPCs. Should be reserved for combat sequences or dramatic story points.

-The first wrapped up body in the line of three as you enter isn't touching the wall or supported, but is sitting up rigidly. Rigor mortis?

-It's a little bit off that there're dead guys laying in the middle of the room. Seems like they would have moved them if for no other reason than that he's in the way.

=One touch that would really set things off, I think, would be a blood splatter or two. The bodies seem very recent, and yet largely untouched.

+I like all the dialogue. The characters are well scripted and brought to life.
    +The costuming is very well done as well.

-Thayan guards in baby blue struck me as funny. First two guards flanking Akron.

-Sidon Margaster changes skin tone betwen the first time you talk to him and the second. Was that lighting? He looks very blue the first time, the second time his complexion is more human.

-Sidon Margaster is blue again once you get past the spider

-Somewhere along the way, my companion - I chose the bard - just stopped following and didn't appear again. Last I saw her was in the room with the spider queen, she didn't step off the ramp leading into the room.

-In Glutton's room: Consider stacking some floor 'tiles' behind the east wall. If you're standing in the middle of that room, and you pan the camera east to west, you'll see through the wall because of the opening there. If you put something solid behind the east and south walls I don't think that it would be as much of a problem.

++++++++++++++++
    Dialogue
    ++++++++++++++++

Traster the Cruel -
    What makes you think that you, scoundrel that you are, is deserving of...

Consider: 'You' is the subject. 'are deserving'

Traster's Report

P.P.S

Consider: Is the 's' in 'evens' intentional? I could see it being part of a pidgen, just thought I'd point it out. Maybe put it in quotes to show that Traster is mimicking Kruger.

Adamant Swan
    ...but the dark is he's barely been a mercenary...

Consider: I don't recognize the phrasing, 'but the dark is'

Skeletons don't really need patching up the same way as people do.

Consider: Remove either 'way', or replace 'as' with 'that'

Meradine Raventree
    [OOC]Meradine turns to you with an glazed..

Consider: 'a' rather than 'an'

Jerek Kruger

Consider: Breaking up the last paragraph in his first dialogue. It doesn't seem like, technically, a run-on, but it is quite long for a single breathe.

@Prompt:
    What's the situation, Kruger?

Consider: Second paragraph, first sentence, semi-colon between 'this place' and 'so ye can'

@Prompt: Difficulty scalar choice - you use 'many moons' again. If you do mean that they've been there for several months then I guess it IS about time they got out of there.

Akron the Igniter
    and I shall be the harbinger of your retribution.

Consider: 'your retribution' should be 'our retribution' or 'your [correction | castigation | chastisement]'. The retribution wouldn't belong to the player, but the thayans.

Shattered Skeleton

Consider: You describe this as a skeleton, which has been hastily wrapped. It has white bones, so is relatively new, the cause of death was being cleaved in half, and dried blood on nearby rocks. I'd say the most important question here is how is it a skeleton? Where'd the flesh go? Perhaps something more along the lines of a description of a skeleton that's had the meat sheared off?

Servitor's Notepad

Consider: Second paragraph, separate sentences.

Two Handed Sword +1, Keening

Consider: 'on the Sword Coast' rather than 'in the Sword Coast'

Sidon Margaster = After taking out the baatezu
    We must maintain take advantage of this opportunity

Consider: Rewriting the sentence. Sounds like an interrupted thought.

SETTING -- Crimson Ascent

++++++++++++++++
    Details
    ++++++++++++++++

+Very nice custom room!
    +Clever use of the painting.
    +Like the final battle setting

++++++++++++++++
    Dialogue
    ++++++++++++++++

Meradine Raventree
    I've always wanted to try hand at, say, skaldic verse or something.

Consider: 'try [a | my] hand at'

Adamant Swan

Consider: I kind of want to know what she's looking at on the floor.

Tahm Mulander
    So it has come down to this at last, adventurer.

Consider: removing 'down' and adventurer, adding a comma.

So, it has come to this at last.
  • myrmecoleonmyrmecoleon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 94
    edited January 2014
    Thanks very much, casmelak! I've taken on board pretty much all your comments, except for the few which I couldn't do (Servitor default costume and Sidon's skin tone due to lighting). The detail of your notes is much appreciated!
  • capnchefcapnchef Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I just finished The Crimson Descent, and wow, I was super impressed! The dialogue was very well done and clever in several instances. You did a great job of fleshing out individual personalities for the mercenaries. I was also heavily impressed with the design of the areas. There were many times when I looked at something and thought, "Wow, I never thought of that!"

The costumes were put together very well. Also, the fight near the lava was challenging, and the tight space made it really hard, but I thought that the frantic quality of it made it a lot of fun.

The only thing I noticed that may be an issue is when talking to Traster at the bookshelf near the beginning, he's hard to see because the camera is looking through the bookshelf. It's mitigated a little because there is a spot without books on one of the shelves and you can see half his face through that little window. I'm not sure if this is intended or a happy accident. So you may want to look into that, maybe pull Traster back and to his right a little, and you'll be able to see him better through the window of books.

Other than that, I really loved the quest! Great job!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Campaign: The Creekside Chronicles NWS-DR2NAKVRN
    Part 1: The Lost Children NW-DU2N4I5YN / Part 2 Evil In The Mines: NW-DNHIJFGAT
    Part 3: No One Lives Forever NW-DHIOTYRQ3 / Part 4 Home Away From Home: NW-DSBY79LGB
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is a pretty spectacular quest. I enjoyed all of it thoroughly and would recommend it to anyone. It is well crafted and I don't have any particular recommendations to change anything at this point.

Play Through Notes

-I did not realize we could use that starting NPC, that is new on me!
    -I really like your dialogue
    -the map is excellent, really well done!
    -I really like the solution you found to respawning NPCs who players select to come with them. That is a very elegant way to solve that problem.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the reviews, both! On that basis, I think this is fairly close to final, except for a few last tweaks and sound bugs.
    capnchef wrote:
    The only thing I noticed that may be an issue is when talking to Traster at the bookshelf near the beginning, he's hard to see because the camera is looking through the bookshelf. It's mitigated a little because there is a spot without books on one of the shelves and you can see half his face through that little window. I'm not sure if this is intended or a happy accident. So you may want to look into that, maybe pull Traster back and to his right a little, and you'll be able to see him better through the window of books.

You're entirely correct; it wasn't originally intended. However, after having tested it, I thought the weird angle fitted the tone of the conversation well enough that I left it alone.
    melinden wrote: »
    -I did not realize we could use that starting NPC, that is new on me!

The only issue I've found with using Fronikann is that it screws up your quest listing icon so it's permanently that Foundry anvil. Annoying, but not much can be done to fix that - I do wish we could pick our own icons.
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know, I've never used an NPC as a start point so I wasn't sure how that works. So you can't pick one of those circle icons for your first map? Normally that is what controls it. Of course that is not intuitive at all so I'm not surprised few people know how that works.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
    edited January 2014
    melinden wrote: »
    You know, I've never used an NPC as a start point so I wasn't sure how that works. So you can't pick one of those circle icons for your first map? Normally that is what controls it. Of course that is not intuitive at all so I'm not surprised few people know how that works.

Hm, it appears that I can still pick a circle icon for my first custom map, but since the quest starts from an NPC in a Neverwinter Adventure Zone map (for which I can't specify an icon), the Foundry image doesn't work and reverts to the default. Bizarrely, it occasionally shows a random image (not one which I've selected on any custom map) instead of the default Foundry image.
  • saiyaku87saiyaku87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    hey ^^ so I played this one and pretty much the only thing that i noticed that could be improved was when
    Fronikan says "... and I reckon you've got the skills and the smarts to do it." you could add a question mark in the end ^^

other than that it seems you have polished it and it's a great quest ^_^ gave it a well deserved 5.

if the trade still stands I would love if you could look at my "Child of the Night" quest, i am working on turning it to a campaign :) thanks and good luck ^^