test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Succubus Companion

harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
I think I speak for many when I say that I feel a succubus companion would be a good idea. I'll lay out three reasons why it's a good idea.

First, we don't have a lot of ways to support "Conjuration" style wizards. It's a largely thematic choice in most regards, but what we're looking at at the moment is that while NPCs have access to illusion, necromancy, and conjuration, we're limited to Evocation and a pet. While this wouldn't go all the way towards alleviating that particular problem, it'd do a considerable job allowing wizards to have the sense of having conjured something up.

Second, We don't have a great many controller companions. I can think of the wayward wizard, cantankerous mage, tomb spider, Rust Monster, and will o' wisp. We have a great many more companions than that, and the small number is disconcerting to me.

Third, fanservice sells. This one is primarily directed at Cryptic, but in the end I know a great many people would purchase a succubus companion not out of desire for a controller companion or conjuration focus as a wizard, but out of wanting a curvy winged woman accompanying them on their adventures.

Does anybody have any other reasons why this is a good idea? Why it's a bad idea? A forum is for discussion and information, after all.

EDIT: A few people have mentioned the dislike the portayal of the sexy succubus. Being clear, I didn't mean from the start that that's what I wanted. As Bioshrike pointed out, the idea of a modestly dressed but high class seducer/manipulator has a lot of merit.
Post edited by harnel on

Comments

• arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You should be able to toggle between incubus and succubus, depending on your preferences. :D

Edit: Here are my ten characters' opinions on the matter:

1. Victor Gardener - "Incubus? Succubus? All of the above! Including my nine friends below!"

2. Oak Leafblade - *Backs away slowly.*

3. Conan the Librarian - "I'd love to hear you talk about yourself, and your experiences. In Oghma's name, of course. For research purposes."

4. Reginald Goldmantle - "I'm sorry, my schedule is full... Lots of official business to do at the local Temple of Sune. I have to... report... to the High Priestess of Sune. Yes. I have to submit my... report."

5. Aron Times - "I apologize. We Shadovar have high standards... Oooh! A butterfly!"

6. Victor Victor - "In Amaunator's name, I banish you, attractive female devil!"

7. Roy Greenhilt - "Nice try, Sabine, but I'm already in a committed relationship with Celia."

8. Anya Astrazalian - "Oh, what strong, manly, arms you have!" *Casts Magic Circle Against Evil*

9. Konata Izumi - "I'm basically a goddess in the Unapproachable East. As they say in Kara-tur, 'Konata is my waifu!'"

10. Nurzhan of the Oasis - *Shoots arrow at succubus.* "Shot through the heart, and I'm to blame... I give lust... My good aim!"
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
  • harnelharnel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Oh believe me, I'd personally prefer an incubus. But at the end of the day, I felt I should try to appeal to the larger cross-section of the fanbase :p
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    arontimes wrote: »
    You should be able to toggle between incubus and succubus, depending on your preferences. :D

Put one in a lockbox and the other in the Z-Store. Isn't that the usual? Though I suspect that rather than an Incubus it would be a Cambion.

As far as the companion itself, nothing that I would care too much about.

The game is set up for the characters to be the heroes, so I am going to be more interested in companions more appropriate for the heroic type.
    At least if I am being asked to pay for the companion in some way.

If it's a companion that you get from some event participation or whatever, then I am more flexible.
  • arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Updated my reply with in-character reactions. Enjoy! :D
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...
    edited January 2014
    I'm having some trouble thinking of outfits for the succubus. Presumably it'd be different from the standard "Bra and skirt" but... I'm having trouble thinking of how.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Succubi companions are just a form of sex sells, and as a father of a young daughter, it's something I am whole heartedly against. It's part of what seems to warp women's self image, anything that promotes this should not happen.
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Put one in a lockbox and the other in the Z-Store. Isn't that the usual? Though I suspect that rather than an Incubus it would be a Cambion.

As far as the companion itself, nothing that I would care too much about.

The game is set up for the characters to be the heroes, so I am going to be more interested in companions more appropriate for the heroic type.
    At least if I am being asked to pay for the companion in some way.

If it's a companion that you get from some event participation or whatever, then I am more flexible.

Might make a nice Halloween Companion. As a Z-Store Item or Lockbox Item, I would almost certainly give it a pass.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I would not mind a succubus comp, but imo, the way your comp LOOKS should be customizable or at least one choice of many options. I am not giving up my stone, but also would not mind it looking like a succubus either.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
    edited January 2014
    overddrive wrote: »
    I would not mind a succubus comp, but imo, the way your comp LOOKS should be customizable or at least one choice of many options. I am not giving up my stone, but also would not mind it looking like a succubus either.
    Agreed. Can you imagine how much better companions would be if we could dress them up? Or customize their appearance at all?
  • artemis0970artemis0970 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I would love to be able to customize the look of the companions, if only to be able to dye their armor, or maybe pick from a set of preset hair and facial looks. Being in a place with a lot of people, and a lot of similar companions, is a little surreal. My cleric hs dozens of twin sisters!
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Mortal humanoid companions (like the pocket cleric) can visibly wear equipped capes IIRC, but that's all. Not enthused about the main topic of this thread myself, but I'd love more companion customization. Even something as simple as four "bases" to choose from (kinda like how we can choose preset appearances for our characters at the creation screen), then the four unlocking skins that build up the companion's appearance from there.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can see where charononus is coming from, but I don't think a Succubus companion need be portrayed as "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" in order to get the point across. If they implemented her as a more "high class manipulator/seductress" instead of a base scantily-clad demon, then I think it could work.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited January 2014
    It's true. the lillend is already in nothing but the front quarter of a bustier, so we don't really need more of that. if We had a situation like the succubus from Planescape: Torment (She slaked intellectual lusts, but was entirely chaste and dressed modestly) I'd be perfectly fine with that.
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    To be fair, the lillend is more like a mermaid than a human so it's not quite the same, but yeah, the point still stands. Heck we could just define a succubus as a female demon and then there's no need for her to wear nearly nothing.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Could be interesting for those that want to play an evil type character, but other wise I wouldn't really care one way or the other. Whether modestly dressed or scantily clad what difference would that make to it's attacks or active bonus. The thing that might make me want to get one would be it's effectiveness, and unless it rivals the stone/dire wolf in that category it would just be another companion I wouldn't bother with. A scantily clad demon(ess) would appeal to a certain demographic, and modestly dressed seductress would only really work with the right dialogue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elminsterelminster Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Succubi are the demonic embodiment of sexual temptation. While a simple bra and extreme-slit skirt would be the ready choice it does not have to be the case. An hourglass figure, dainty limbs and an alluring face combined with a feminine attire and confident stance would more than cover the requirements. The so called "**** look" is so overused and really only appeals to the 13-yo boy who hasn't found dad's <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> collection yet, and I honestly don't find it attractive in any way. On the other hand you show me a seductress confident in her ability to capture any man with her charms. You could even go so far as to add pieces of steel armor to her attire to really give that demonic look and feel. Play the Blood War lore card, THAT would get me to buy it
    edited January 2014
    And of course, give her useful abilities - like a charm spell that temporarily turns enemies to your side, or a power that mesmerizes enemies, making them unable to break themselves away from paying attention to her. As for a passive, lifesteal seems obvious, but perhaps an increase in both crit chance, severity, or both could work...

You could also play it off in different ways - she could be a "tank" of sorts - drawing enemies to her via her unnatural allure, and making them more vulnerable to your attacks.

She could curse individual enemies so they draw the ire of their former comrades - making them do her dirty work and attack the individual in question.

There are many creative ways that you could go with this concept...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    edited January 2014
    I'm thinking that, for her ability, a brief stun would probably work best, as the fascination takes hold. We also have another companion that already does the "A minion joins you then dies" thing in the ghost, so there's no reason we can't do that as well. Both would probably be on fair cooldowns, but imagine the utility!

Lifesteal is definitely the most obvious stat for a succubus companion's active bonus, but they seem to be against using stats for companions that are above green quality. if it were higher, I'd have to say a tiny chance of a hit point swap on hit, with an internal cooldown - maybe a five percent chance to do an energy drain style attack, draining their health and giving you temp HP
    edited January 2014
    The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having her curse one of the enemies to draw the hatred of its former allies - they aggro on it and (temporarily) lose interest in you. In addition to that, she could have a lesser curse that causes the enemy to suffer DoT while also bleeding off some of its life force as a small AoE heal. For the passive, I'd give her something like +55 lifesteal and +2% crit severity. Her level 30 ability would increase the amount and radius of the healing done by the DoT attack.
    edited January 2014
    So a Curse for a basic spam attack that every companion seems to have, as well as a sort of charm tank ability? That's something I could get behind. Crit severity is also something entirely lacking amongst companions (outside the boar, which only gives it to your active companion anyways) so that'd be pretty cool too, though i'd still prefer the lifesteal overall. That's just a personal opinion, though.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    harnel wrote: »
    So a Curse for a basic spam attack that every companion seems to have, as well as a sort of charm tank ability? That's something I could get behind. Crit severity is also something entirely lacking amongst companions (outside the boar, which only gives it to your active companion anyways) so that'd be pretty cool too, though i'd still prefer the lifesteal overall. That's just a personal opinion, though.

Dancing blade dude.
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I really like the idea.
    I could go for some crit severity, but to be honest I wouldn't care that much about the active bonus. I would like to see a companion done right rateher than having an active bonus from it. I could see her as a controller mainly, but I think she could work as a striker or debuffer/suport as well. As a supporter she could give you a massive life steal (kinda like how the Fawn gives regen) and enchant the enemies so they deal less damage or take more damage. The thing is she needs to have usefull powers as a controller/supporter and decent damage as a striker.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
    edited January 2014
    Eh, I don't see her as being worth much in a striker or support role. Debuffs, sure, but almost entirely I'd say control would make more sense.
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sounds like a great idea, although I would kinda prefer it if it were a "rogue demon" or "rogue devil" and not necessarily a succubus, but that's just me.
  • harkinharkin Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I could see this beeing a companion that came with the warlock if the whole theme around that module would be something related to demons or demonic fire etc.
    edited January 2014
    I think a trip to the hells to fight an archdevil would be suitably epic for a campaign
  • dracoprimusdracoprimus Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think Cryptic, perfect World, and WotC, are going for more of a family friendly environment with Neverwinter. So, I kind of doubt they would go with a succubus companion. Maybe if they started allowing more evil player characters, they might consider it more.
    edited January 2014
    I think Cryptic, perfect World, and WotC, are going for more of a family friendly environment with Neverwinter. So, I kind of doubt they would go with a succubus companion. Maybe if they started allowing more evil player characters, they might consider it more.

I would argue that since we already fight demons, (including a succubus), that we can already play descendants of demons, and that there are already some monstrous companions, a succubus companion could work - again I want to stress that she should be more of the seductive variety - not a sleazy scantily clad woman...
  • stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Make the succubus an actual bus, you know, with wheels and screaming imps.
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Give her an enchant-debuff-spell, a Portal power to summon lesser hellish creatures, and no damage at all.
    Give her a skin that randomly alternates (with proper visual effects) between her demonic appearance and the appearance of a human-like beautiful, classy looking lady, giving her the look and fell of a surreal mirage. Am I getting too demanding? :D
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.