Install Arc
Options

Winter Festival Feedback/Thoughts

Comments

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    pitshade wrote: »
    Most of all, I'm going to miss the zone itself. All of my characters moved there for the duration of the event so as to be able to do the quests faster, plus the central fire had a merchant and a mailbox there and wasn't that far from the gate, which made it better than anywhere in PE.

So much this.

But also, it was just so cozy standing there by the fire.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    lecampion wrote: »
    But i have a doubt... if i bought a tiger, for example, can i use it with all my characters?

The mount is for my account or only for ONE char??!

Zen mount is for your entire account. Once you buy it, open the store on any character and the price to buy that mount will say it's free.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    lecampionlecampion Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    thanks a lot dude!

Another one: is possible reset our skill later (At-Will, Dailies, Encounters, Feats, etc)??
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    You can do that via either a respec purchased in the Zen store (make sure to buy it with the character you wish to respec, and note that they do go on sale; sales update Thursdays), or you can wait for major class-changing updates when free respecs are typically given out to existing characters.

In the links in the site header above, under "The Game", you'll find a "Preview" option. This will allow you to copy you character over to a preview server where you can test skills and builds before doing anything permanent.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Most of all, I'm going to miss the zone itself. All of my characters moved there for the duration of the event so as to be able to do the quests faster, plus the central fire had a merchant and a mailbox there and wasn't that far from the gate, which made it better than anywhere in PE.

Yes. Sometimes I just go sit in a random spot and look around. It's gorgeous. Love it so much. :o
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    lecampion wrote: »
    thanks a lot dude!

Another one: is possible reset our skill later (At-Will, Dailies, Encounters, Feats, etc)??

You need to have a free respec or buy a respec token, then you can re-choose your powers, feats, and attributes points that you get from leveling up, (can't change initial stat rolls atm).

*Note - you cannot transfer the respec token to other characters, so make sure to buy it on the specific character you want to use it on.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    sphecidasphecida Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 95
    edited January 2014
    I eat my words: I was able to get the fawn after all by cashing in all my stars. And I even won the race event once!

As pitshade said, it was a beautiful zone, and it'd be fun to have something else happen there so we don't have to wait a whole year to return. I'm still wondering what was going on at the top of the hill.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    We could return in the spring. And save the village of Twilight tor from starvation. Caused by the reckless over fishing of their lake. And other damage to the ecosystem caused by the over use of ranger abilities.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Yeah I really liked the map too , I wish they would leave the special event maps open even if they remove the activities , the Midsummer one was beautiful as was the Winter fest one.
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Some of the locals talk about a Dwarven town below. Maybe we'll see it when the Undead Saber-Tooth Easter Bunnies invade this spring. :p
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    We could return in the spring. And save the village of Twilight tor from starvation. Caused by the reckless over fishing of their lake. And other damage to the ecosystem caused by the over use of ranger abilities.

can't call superman. those craters look like they're filled with kryptonite. :eek:
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    imsmithy wrote: »
    Yeah I really liked the map too , I wish they would leave the special event maps open even if they remove the activities , the Midsummer one was beautiful as was the Winter fest one.
    I thought about that. They could redo it like a resort town out of season, with all the stuff closed off and one merchant left. Just keep it nighttime though, to preserve the look of the place.

Also, I finally won the Twilight Run tonight. Double bonus points because it was the last time I'll run it, as that gave me enough Simrils to use tomorrow's star to get a fawn. I'd won the MoI several times with my wizards and a maybe once each with a cleric and a rogue. (the rogue sort of doesn't count as there were only 8 people in the instance it placed me in, and those elite trolls and golems that normally just spawn near the giants, they were spawning in the starting area. The other contestants weren't willing to stay in the zone. One of the golems followed them through the gate and apparently the guards couldn't kill it - eventually it leashed back to its spawn point.

Anyway, in some ways more fun that Summer festival, but needed some tweaking and a bug fix for Seismic Shot to be perfect. Well, and slightly better rewards. I'd like to see transmute armors for a change, though not as over the top as these weapons were.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    On a slightly related note, one thing I'd like to see permanently would be a zone with all leveled mobs, like Hungry Trolls or Monsters on Ice, or better still like one of the normal maps, so that characters of different levels could adventure together. Bonus points if it had some of repeatable lairs, with the appropriate measures to prevent them from being exploited of course.

It's a pity that foundries aren't done like that.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I almost have enough to get the horse for my one HR, after tonight's star I will. As for Seismic shot bug, a fix is going in tomorrow during maintenance as the fix has been on preview for a day or two.
  • Options
    aznxknightzaznxknightz Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Omg so f-ing pissed. I had it all planned out. Wait for the last day to get my final star to turn it into shower of lights on one toon. And another toon i used enough keys to get enough bars to buy 6 stars so i can get both the sled and mimic. Just as i was about to exchange for the sled the power goes out in my house. **** what the hell... I had to wake up extra early just to get that daily and play before maintenance but out of all the times i could have a blackout it's now.
    I'm typing this on my iphone and it's the only thing with electricity in my house. What a waste, used my bars on stars and now they're worthless. Wish there was a small extension in the event but doesn't look like it's happening. So **** pissed.

EDIT: it was a miracle, power somehow came back on and i managed to do everything i can.
  • Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Scarves are great. More scarves instead of cloaks, please. Some goggles transmutes for helms would also be nice.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • Options
    vertex55vertex55 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Quick question... I have 2900 simril and would get to 3200 had the servers not gone to mainatance... Is there any way to still get the Fawn? I spent -> a lot <- of hours the last 2 days gaining simril and this time will purely go to waste :/
    I recently started NVN and didn't pay enough attention to get more stars, just 2 more and there owuld be no problem, eh. Lame mistake :<

Would appreciate any resposne.
  • Options
    valetudo78valetudo78 Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The fountains of light are bugged so that half of them will auto use. I have to say winter festival was way too buggy to call a success.
  • Options
    vengefulfuryvengefulfury Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So far i haven't been impressed really the lag during Monsters on Ice is terrible and the stupid skeletons popping up, with no drops i might add, to prevent you from fishing is stupid.

There are 3 hours left to this event yet your slashing 2 of them hours away with maintenance, i had planned to earn more simiril and such but that's not going to happen. You could have at least made it end tonight because of the maintenance but no you're just cutting it altogether.

What am i supposed to do with the simiril i have left? Stash them for the next Christmas event? I mean what else could i possibly do with them since i can't even sell them? (no jokes about orifices...)

Don't get me wrong this game is great i love it but this winter event has done nothing but infuriate me, the lag makes it almost impossible to even fight the MoB's. Don't get me started on the Winter Run contest, how is that even fair when other cash paying players have the advantage of a faster mount? Didn't even bother doing that one, would have been a waste of time to be honest.

I guess I'll just have to wait another year lol.

All in all i do like the Winter Festival but there are things that make it intolerable to play or even stand a chance at winning.
  • Options
    nhlong95nhlong95 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Same here, I have a busy schedule and only managed to play when I had the time to :( The showers of lights really helped me out, but now the server is down for maintenance during the few last hours of the event. Guess I have to let it go. You actually can buy the fawn off traders, but if you're a new player I guess that'll take a while to get more golds or ADs.
  • Options
    ixotlixotl Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My question now, with the maintenance occurring at a somewhat IN-opportune moment.... Will there be the final hour of Winter Festival after the maintenance or will the maintenance reset the shards? The stated Festival end is 10amPST and the maintenance is scheduled to end at 9amPST.

I'm 95 lights to go for the Fawn, will I make it? I guess only the Shard Masters know. :)
  • Options
    balthezar2balthezar2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Don't get me started on the Winter Run contest, how is that even fair when other cash paying players have the advantage of a faster mount? Didn't even bother doing that one, would have been a waste of time to be honest.

Not true..I have a fast mount and did well in the race, but I earned that mount making AD and converting it to zen, didn't pay a penny, just worked for it. And for those complaining about not enough time to get a fawn, I have 17 chars and every one of them got a fawn and a mimic, with 4 extra fawns and 2 horses.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My impressions:

Zone - It looked nice if not a bit incomplete or at least underutilized. And by that I mean that area by the 'ski slope'. To me it did seem rushed and put out when it was simply because that was the date on the calendar they said it would be released. It would be nice if it got a few more tweaks before the next time it goes live.

Fishing event - Eh.. 11 minutes of pushing F over and over? I liked the idea but in practice it fell flat. And the skeletons are annoying I can only assume they were included to help prevent botting. I also didn't like fishing out a white hole, having it change to purple and be swarmed by other players. Or when I was fighting one of the annoying skeletons having someone run up and set their line.

Monsters on Ice - Not bad especially for GWF, CW and HR classes. On my other characters I'd just kill 1 monster and afk until the next event unless the instance was pretty empty. The Seismic Shot bug was also unfortunate but hopefully wont be there next year.

Twilight Run - I actually got pretty good at this and could win a majority of races. I do question the bonuses though because if someone gets lucky they can get 5 goldens in a single run and at that point you're approaching awarding luck more than skill. It did seem a bit buggy though because sometimes even when I went through the speed boost I'd be walking and would have to switch from mount to walking and back again before it kicked in. Really frustrating and I lost a couple races due to that.

Currency - It seemed fine but I it would have been nice if the lights (or whatever) and stars were tradeable with characters on your account. I did think the items were a bit overpriced and led to more grinding that was really needed. It was nice that everyone could get the mimic or sled just by spending a few minutes a day since all you had to do was look through the telescope and not do all the other events.

Profession - I was engaged until I got the epic fishing pole but after that I never bothered with it again. It would have been nice to have been able to craft stars or lights.
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have a lot of mixed feelings about the Winter Festival.

The Good:
    --The zone was very attractive. The constant night, the preacher on the hill and the skeletons all added to it being not a cheery Christmas zone but a slightly menacing and mysterious winter zone.

--I loved the fortunes, very amusing.

--The mechanics of sliding around on ice and trying to fight mobs also sliding on ice was fun -- ignoring the inequities it led to for the MoI competition.

--The slalom race was great, and I had a lot of fun improving my "Tokyo Drift" skills.

--Zone chat was great, even when it was insane. I really never tired of the "fawny" remarks - it took me back to my WoW days - and for the most part people in chat were friendly and helpful. I always ignore Zone chat in Protector's Enclave, but I read it regularly in Twilight Tor, and even commented sometimes. This was largely due to fishing, a way to get lights that was very low key outside of the fishing contest.

--I love the companions, especially the fawn. This is the first companion I am tempted to upgrade.

The Bad:
    --As I have stated at least once in this thread, the Lights rewards from the two dailies were ridiculously paltry, especially compared to the Midsummer Festival. The doubling of rewards at Zenith made almost no difference: from 2 lights to 4 for the telescope one was stupid: double almost nothing is still almost nothing. This led to:

--The Festival was so much grindier than the Midsummer Festival. If you only wanted the Mimic, no problem. If you only had one character you wanted a fawn for, it wasn't too bad. If you wanted the fawn for 6 characters you play regularly, it was painful. The doubling of contest rewards and being able to turn in Stars for Lights helped a lot, but it still took about 14 hours of concentrated play per character to get enough lights for the fawn. It might be argued that the festival was longer than the Midsummer Festival, and occurred when most people had time off of school/work -- but many people visited relatives without access to gaming, or like me had house guests for several days. I didn't feel I could say "I'd love to sit and chat with you, but I need to "fish" on my computer for 3 hours tonight."

--Monsters on Ice could have been re-named "HRs on Ice", both because the Seismic Shot graphics bug ruined the zone for everyone, and because the mechanics of the event greatly favored HRs and to a lesser extent CWs. Tightly packed groups of mobs popping in the same places at predictable intervals let HRs stand in one spot and mow down groups with one cast of their Split Shot at will -- outright killing minions and tagging the lieuts, who inevitably slid past the HR when trying to attack them. My poor GF would trudge to a group, only to have 90% of the mobs dead before she got there, and the rest sliding off in some random direction. So my HR could get either 90 or 50 points for MoI contests if she bothered to stay the whole time, while my GF would never rise above the 18 pity points.

--Crafting was a disappointment. I'm big on crafting, even though Professions are neglected in this game, so after 2 days all 6 of my chars had epic fishing poles and at least some blue lures. However, the 2-minute interval for most tasks made it near impossible to run Light Crafting on more than one character simultaneously, and I ended the event with 1000s of pods on every character. There were no uses for the Rings of Light or Twilight Emblems from contests after you got your epic pole, and no task to craft Lights.
  • Options
    tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Winter Festival: Concluding Thoughts

Good:
    • Nice attractive zone, lots of eye candy.
    • Ice sliding was quite funny.
    • Campfire/shop mailbox placement was great.
    • Monsters on Ice was fun and reasonably challenging if you pulled a lot.
    • Fun rewards, the fawn and mimic are very good looking companions, the scarves were very nice, some of the ice weapon transmutes were nice too.
    • Ice Slalom was fun.

Negatives:
    • Zone felt empty in places. A quest to explore the zone would've been cool
    • Monsters on Ice horrible tilted towards ranged classes. My CW would often easily score 400-600 per event and top the event. My GF might score 90 or so. Even my L42 HR did very well compared to the vast majority of melee players.
    • Too many of the rewards were priced for lights. Having the transmutes craftable and bound would've been nice. Getting the fawn and a weapon transmute could be extremely grindy.
    • The amount of grind coincided with the holidays. Many people, myself included, went to relatives and could not play for a week or two. Thus, we couldn't get the mimic. I suspect the same about the light grinding. Since I couldn't get the mimic anyway I traded all my stars for lights to get fawns and a couple transmutes.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Some of this has been mentioned but maybe not broken down.

Midsummer Festival, for showing up consistently and doing both daily quests, it was possible for a character to earn sufficient petals to get a Sunite Garb without having to grind, or be a good way along to getting a pig companion. It was very alt-friendly. The petal bonus for unused Favour tokens during the final week was gravy.

Simril, for showing up consistently and doing both daily quests, you'd get enough lights for a scarf skin and a few iceworks (which were absolutely lovely, but are still consumables). I didn't bother doing the celebration more than once on many characters, because it wouldn't provide any significant help towards being able to afford anything nice and permanent. The light bonus for unused Star tokens should have been a help, but the issue with implementation made it very frustrating to try to consolidate leftovers.

Having nothing whatsoever to do with Rings and Emblems beyond using a few for levelling crafting was a mistake, especially considering how much encouragement there was to participate in the contests that rewarded these, and that they dropped in SCA as well. If they couldn't be made directly tradeable for a small quantity of lights via a store interface, then tasks at the highest tier of the event crafting to convert them would have been welcome. The amount of lights wouldn't need to be large, just offer players something to do with these items other than have them take up space.

As for the crafting, the biggest criticism is definitely that everything was based off of 2-minute refinements, over and over and over again. I'll be charitable and assume this was designed with the intent that nobody would have to wait long for their materials to be ready to keep making into more things. But the lack of set-and-forget tasks made this just painful. The lightwine was the least obnoxious thing to do because it actually used up unrefined pods. The winter hero's feast was terrible because it required a ton of fish which not only relied on RNG to get the right ones, but which players would then not be able to cash in for lights to buy their shinies (by comparison, the midsummer version was a great use of crafting materials rewarded by participating, and which could be easily purchased if a player was short of a particular ingredient). The resplendent citrine was the right idea, but ultimately took far too much fiddling to generate something that was the equivalent of a peridot.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    sylenthundersylenthunder Member Posts: 568 Community Moderator
    edited January 2014
    balthezar2 wrote: »
    Not true..I have a fast mount and did well in the race, but I earned that mount making AD and converting it to zen, didn't pay a penny, just worked for it. And for those complaining about not enough time to get a fawn, I have 17 chars and every one of them got a fawn and a mimic, with 4 extra fawns and 2 horses.
    I was just using the standard +20% horse from the vendor and had no issues placing well in most runs. It mainly took adjusting my display settings to work optimally, and practicing a few times to get the starting time just right.

If you time it right starting off, it's very easy to start ahead, and stay ahead with points. The hardest part was perfecting my path so that I hit every gate every time.
  • Options
    hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Winter festival concluding thoughts:

Don't be runescape guys. We've already got a runescape. It's called runescape. Rip off good games not the most boring parts of bot filled ones.
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Overall I really liked the event. The zone is just beautiful and a joy to run around in; all of the contests were fun (even fishing -- the skeletons were quirky and a nice touch to keep you on your toes); and I like the rewards from the event. My halfling wiz is thrilled beyond words that she has finally become acquainted with Mr. Snaggletooth the Friendly(ish) Mimic -- THANK YOU! :D

I even cleaned out my leftover lights buying up bunches of fun little items like lanterns -- which I don't normally do in events like this -- because they're just adorable. The skybeams, lanterns, and iceworks were just brilliant ideas that I love. I'm also really happy that almost nothing was BoP -- that was an excellent move. I do wish I hadn't had to struggle through everything at 2 fps most of the time because of the Seismic Shot bug (that made EVERYTHING take longer), but at least that should be fixed now.

A couple of thoughts that might have been nice things to have:

1. Really wish the Showers of Light had worked properly so that they could be traded/mailed consistently. Part of the fun for me in events like this is to take my leftover stuff and give it away to other players who are still working toward getting their first fawn/horse/etc. I gave away all my szorps to people who were fishing last night, but it just wasn't the same.

2. Either the daily quests should have awarded more lights (like ~30 total, ~60 during zenith), or fish should have been worth more (like 10 brown bream = 5 lights, 10 blackjaws = 10 lights, 10 durgrace = 15 lights, 5 candlefish = 20 lights). That would have helped the event feel like less of a grind and would have helped everyone who was short of playtime during the holidays. If I'd had to spend less time grinding, I would have loved to have played around with the ramps and mass-launched lanterns and stuff in the zone.

3. It would have been cool to have been able to craft more permanent items (not just consumables), like fashion. All of the fashion in the game makes me chilly when I see people wearing it in places like Icespire; it would be fun to have warmer/heavier clothing choices too just for some variety to liven things up.

4. Can we have another contest added next year? ;) Snowball PvP would be hilarious, and simple in concept -- just make it a special arena like MoI, but disable use of all items/powers except for the infinite snowballs that you're given upon entrance. No one would have HP or be able to be killed and have to respawn -- scoring would just be based on how many hits you get on other players. I think it could be a lot of fun!
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    jarebla1051jarebla1051 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited January 2014
    Like most, I have a life away from my system and games.

Much better reward ratio to grind over the Halloween event where I ran around collecting pumpkins and did nothing else in game. Still ended up without enough pumpkins for the skellie

Luckily, the event lasted longer than others and I was able to get ahold of many of the rewards. Been playing since open beta and even secured my first mount, the Sled.

Fishing was tedious, by upgrading Lures the count soared. Downhill races were fun even being on foot, once I got my reaction times down I improved enough to complete one extra circuit per event. then with my Sled I improved adding one more circuit. 'Monsters" was a blast, both HR and CW did very well, many Silvers. GWF was able to count bodies as well, but for some reason the GWF movement was awful, so I stood in one place, let the Mobs zone in and got to work.

Skellies while fishing were annoying, but manageable. "Monsters" had some wicked lag at times, which has nothing to do with the HR "Shift" feature that just doesn't work. The results? Getting hammered instead of being clearly out of the way. Downhill race was plagued by some slowdown, at least for me, just before gates 2 and 3. On foot I almost never made those two gates within the time frame, with a 50% speed increase using my Sled those weren't an issue of passing them "on time", but being slowed may have been the difference in a better finishing rank.

Do the next events in this fashion, "Spring Break"? I'm not going to "Cabo", so going to go polish the Sled and cross fingers. Thanks NW I enjoyed this one by far!
    "One Riot, One Ranger" **

Deuce HR L 60 Archer Build+Melee
    Bow Expert
    Blade Proficient

(**Motto of the Texas Rangers, 1823-Present. Dept. of Public Services, State of Texas)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]