test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we please do something about the Seismic Shot bug already?

2»

Comments

• Options
    unknownerror010unknownerror010 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Very much so.
    I have noticed a very different type of lag recently. I am used to my computer having some FPS stuttering related to my video card and have adjusted the settings down to compensate. However, lately I have been getting significant amounts of skill delay, harvest node delay, and generally 1-2 second lag whenever attempting to interact with any object in the game world. The lag is noticeably different then when I started playing the game, which was only a few weeks ago.
    I have set all in game settings to their lowest, defragged the computer, reset my rotuer, and run several different antivirus / anti malware programs. I have also cleaned my registry and checked all running tasks to make sure something isn't silently popping up in the background stealing resources or bandwidth causing the slowdowns...all to no avail.
    Whatever is causing the lag seems server side, but since not everyone is affected by it I'm not sure what it is.

As for the green lights beaming out of the ground for waaayyy too long, that is definitely a source of lag, but I always assumed it was related to my video card. Seems the developers could shorten the duration of that effect to help alleviate some server load due to those animations though. The lag caused by that effect is especially noticeable during the "Monsters on Ice" winter festival event. The people casting it (Rangers?) spam it all over the ice and that in combination with everyone mass killing as fast as possible to get the high score makes the entire zone instance ridiculously laggy.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As for the green lights beaming out of the ground for waaayyy too long, that is definitely a source of lag, but I always assumed it was related to my video card. Seems the developers could shorten the duration of that effect to help alleviate some server load due to those animations though.

The animation is not suppossed to persist at all. It's not a matter of shortening the animation. Those animations should not exist ever, and now one of the best theories is that they're currently caused by hr's getting knocked back and interrupted while casting it. Which is why you see a lot of them in golem areas in MoI.
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for these reports, and sleuthing! :) We're investigating it as well.
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    unknownerror010unknownerror010 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    The animation is not suppossed to persist at all. It's not a matter of shortening the animation. Those animations should not exist ever, and now one of the best theories is that they're currently caused by hr's getting knocked back and interrupted while casting it. Which is why you see a lot of them in golem areas in MoI.

I see, well that makes sense. Hopefully they get that bug fixed ASAP, as it's quite...unpleasant.
    Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The CM just posted that they are investigating the problem .
    sominator wrote: »
    Thanks for these reports, and sleuthing! :) We're investigating it as well.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?569581-Can-we-please-do-something-about-the-Seismic-Shot-bug-already&p=6932091&viewfull=1#post6932091
  • Options
    alienslofalienslof Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Massive slowdowns have made it impossible for me to do much of anything in the winter festival, so any chance of getting the nice items like the fawn are nil. The events are just unplayable for me, even when I put all my settings onto minimum, so my game looks like 'clay world'. Even with the fishing holes, the slowdown is unplayable.

That really should have been addressed before bringing on the event. My only chance to get some of these items now is to hope for some not overpriced spares on the AH.
    A dream to some, a NIGHTMARE to others!

Lolth be praised!
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    alienslof wrote: »
    Massive slowdowns have made it impossible for me to do much of anything in the winter festival, so any chance of getting the nice items like the fawn are nil. The events are just unplayable for me, even when I put all my settings onto minimum, so my game looks like 'clay world'. Even with the fishing holes, the slowdown is unplayable.

That really should have been addressed before bringing on the event. My only chance to get some of these items now is to hope for some not overpriced spares on the AH.

Fawns are selling for peanuts and beans in the Auction House right now - your best bet is to grab one from there if that's your top goal right now.

This bug is incredibly annoying (and I don't bother with this Daily power on my HR because of it - and it's also the first default Daily all HRs get - which is why it's so prevalent). I simply point to this friendly reminder that if you spot more than one or two: change instances. There are usually more than 15 instances running at once, so that's 15 chances of finding one that isn't polluted with the Pea Soup from The Exorcist movie. :)

And to the OP: This bug (specifically: these left-over graphics from HR Daily power) seem to be the sole cause of any server-lag you are experiencing. At least it certainly is for me.
  • Options
    xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The lag and stuttering remind me of the beta event where valindras undead forces spawned in PE. The animation of the undead disappearing at the end of the invasion had a bad memory leak. No matter what kind of computer setup you had it was crazy lag in the whole zone. 15 to 30 seconds of 6 fps. I'm wondering if the mass amount of them are not just grafix abnormalities but that the servers are still actively tracking the skill. Thousands and thousands of objects being continually tracked could really bog down a server and could account for the sluggishness we are seeing in other aspects of the game

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Also haven't tried it but also look into see if multiple hunters using the daily at the sametime on the same group of mobs. See if the powers intersecting at the sametime can cause this issue.
  • Options
    krinamankrinaman Member Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Yep massive lag, disconnects, "lost connection to server" messages. Especially during DD when the population is up. In fact right now I just got DC'ed and can't reconnect. If this is any indication DD will be unplayable again.
  • Options
    denverralphydenverralphy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    It's not just the Seismic bug from HR's. A lot of the graphics/animations have been updated to better quality but more resource intensive requirements. Particle effects have improved, smoke, shadow, lighting, etc... all have seen boosts in quality.

Unfortunately, the options to tweak those effects are not really conducive to balancing out the change. I'd be more than happy to make tweaks to my graphics settings, but often the options are not entirely clear, or they offer an All-or-Nothing alternative.
  • Options
    arimis5226arimis5226 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's not just the Seismic bug from HR's. A lot of the graphics/animations have been updated to better quality but more resource intensive requirements. Particle effects have improved, smoke, shadow, lighting, etc... all have seen boosts in quality.

Unfortunately, the options to tweak those effects are not really conducive to balancing out the change. I'd be more than happy to make tweaks to my graphics settings, but often the options are not entirely clear, or they offer an All-or-Nothing alternative.

No dude, I think you're missing the point here. What we are saying is that all of that lagging you are experiencing has nothing to do with YOUR graphics settings on YOUR computer. These bugged HR leftovers are causing THIER servers to fps lag EVERYONE. It doesn't matter what graphics settings you turn down dude, you wont fix the problem. The problem is server side.
  • Options
    hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hasn't this been going on since open beta of HR?
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Is this fixed?? I didn't see any in Monsters on Ice twice now and usually it's rampant.
  • Options
    deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 185
    edited January 2014
    This sadly is one of many issues with HR atm...When they posted the first time back at the beginning of Dec that this was fixed...and it wasn't they should have scrapped the animation all together and simply replaced it with something easier for them.

Another issue with HR is root, still effects players under CC immunity and still roots players who dodge the attack. (Can test, will see "immune" msg when attack is dodged then notice the rubberbanding effect shortly after) Also another issue, the root rubberbanding isnt working as intended.

I just get the feeling HR was pushed out before it was finished just to be out before 2014...Probably needed a few more months of development.
  • Options
    digitalzoidbergdigitalzoidberg Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I've also tried to recreate this and it just seems to be random, some hang up in the code where the animation is supposed to end but the game is skipping that part for some reason. Same FPS drop as the rest as well, I'll be around 40+ in the winter zone with everything maxed then it's borderline slideshow mode once the fighting on the ice starts. Here's hoping this gets fixed before the Enclave gets messed.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have a feeling I'm going to have to take my baby ranger and repeatedly let ogres punch him in the face to see if I can recreate this issue reliably.

How sad.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    /signed

Although, as I recall in a patch note sometime last month, I do believe that the QA team (or some troubleshooter staff) were unable to successfully create conditions in which this bug/error/ExtremelyAnnoyingNusance every time. So to those of you sleuthing, good luck and I sincerely hope this issue is resolved within the next patch or two. I mean heck, if they can have an error so weird as a neck item causing you to make animal noises when you jump... I cringe to think as to what possible complexities could be baffling the system this badly.

Again, god speed with this. It makes me a bit weary to play my HR in anything other than dungeons or skirmishes ^^;.

Edit: I must have been mistaken, although I could have sworn I read something to that effect somewhere, I just can't seem to find said post and/or news article. If anyone else knows what I'm talking about, please post the link. I swear I'm not going crazy XD.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1058081 is the closest I can get.
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't think the difficulty with recreating the issue would have been mentioned in a patch note, but more likely in a forum post. I think it would be pretty deep into the dev tracker though.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It sounded like getting CCed while firing might have been the key to reproducing it. Is that not the case? My baby HR is pretty fragile so I'm not sure how good I'd be at testing this hypothesis myself, but I can try....
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It could be something as simple as the animation sequence for Seismic Shot on the Warden Bow Skin doesn't have an "end" command set, so the initial attack animation (the 'ground' shot) just continues forever It's why they need feedback from player who "cause" it to happen, so they can find the common parameters to recreate it and then fix it.
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014

While this is true as well (Rain of Arrows hits me with lag because of its fx), I was enjoying a glorious 25(!) fps after the server maintenance cleared away all the Seismic fountains the other day, and now my fps is declining again as they pile back up in all the instances. So while ever-improving effects also causes my lag, the biggest problem seems to be Seismic Shot's bugginess.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    darwinsdogdarwinsdog Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As in the topic, what are the green fires that you see all over the place? Sometimes it looks like there's a person standing in them, other times it doesn't. They don't seem to do anything, so what are they?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Bugged seismic shot graphics from the new ranger class.
  • Options
    tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's a graphic glitch from one of the Hunter Ranger powers (Seismic Shot?); the graphic seems to stick around long after the power has been used. Soon to be patched I'm sure.
  • Options
    kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Had those crash me to desktop a few times in the Winter Festival Monsters on Ice... 20+ of those things around just saturate ones rendering engine and suck up the vRAM lol (2GB GDDR3 @ 1920x1080 gone poof!).

Looking forward to these going bye-bye... very annoying.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    BTW op thanks a lot, I now have Fire by Jimi Hendrix stuck in my head from some kind of weird word association from your post. =P
  • Options
    radiick507radiick507 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well I will be dammed, as I had no idea at all what they were??? Thought at first it was some kind of Fireworks thing you purchased for the Winter Festival and peeps were launching them during "monsters on ice" events!

Thanks for enlightening me as well.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Patch notes for Preview state this issue is *fixed* (hopefully: once and for all).
    Preview code goes to Live on Thursday morning.
    Hence: patience is a virtue.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I recently figured out this also fouls up Chains of Blazing Light (the trap won't trigger when placed on green fountains), so a fix is doubly good. Fingers crossed!