test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion: Add "Check All" feature in mailbox

ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
edited January 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Sometimes on Auction House there are stuff you think their prices are good and thus want to buy them in bulk. For example, lockboxes. Currently many players post their Rusted Iron Lockboxes on Auction House for 1~6 AD each. Though being very good in price, those lockboxes are being posted individually, rather than in a large amount at once. That means if I buy 100 of those Rusted Iron Lockboxes, I will then have to delete 100 read mails one by one.

I'm not sure if there are players who are willing to stay at mailbox and perform so many clicks to delete read mails, but I guess I'm one of those who are more willing to spend precious time playing the game more rather than stand at mailbox all day long deleting tons of read mails one bye one.

So maybe we could have a new feature in mailbox to check all mails so that we can delete them all at once. Just like the "Check All" checkbox in the Messages Inbox of this forum.

From the perspective of role-playing, having this feature is also reasonable. Assuming yourself are in the game and want to get rid of your 100 read mails, you surely want to pour them all into recycle bin at once rather than throw them into the bin one by one.

== EDIT ==

Alternatively, it can also be made so we hold down Ctrl key, and then we are able to select multiple mails. Or we select first mail and then hold down Shift key and select the last mail, then all mails are selected.
Post edited by ianthewizard2012 on

Comments

• aznxknightzaznxknightz Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Good luck with that. I had already suggested a feature like that and more. I asked to have check boxes next to mail you'd like to delete and a "delete all checked items" button. Remember you can mail items to yourself so a check all button isn't ideally the only feature you would want.
    I want this feature for another reason, to safely delete mail. Ever lost 30K+ AD for no reason? I have. Incoming mail got deleted because my currently highlighted mail would not shift down when incoming mail arrives at the same exact time you try to press OK to delete.
    Don't know what I'm talking about?
    In your mailbox move down to 3 mails you can easily identify just by looking at them. Let's call them from top to buttom, mail 1, mail 2, mail 3. Highlight mail 2 and press the delete button but don't actually delete it. Then ask a friend to send you a mail. When you receive the mail your highlighter moves down to mail 1, now delete the mail. Congratulations, you deleted mail 1, NOT 2.
    Now imagine that but with actual items and at the same time you delete mail and receive incoming mail.
  • cenomxcenomx Member Posts: 41
    edited January 2014
    Click on delete and press ENTER twice. Works and is very fast for me.
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Good luck with that. I had already suggested a feature like that and more. I asked to have check boxes next to mail you'd like to delete and a "delete all checked items" button. Remember you can mail items to yourself so a check all button isn't ideally the only feature you would want.
    I want this feature for another reason, to safely delete mail. Ever lost 30K+ AD for no reason? I have. Incoming mail got deleted because my currently highlighted mail would not shift down when incoming mail arrives at the same exact time you try to press OK to delete.
    Don't know what I'm talking about?
    In your mailbox move down to 3 mails you can easily identify just by looking at them. Let's call them from top to buttom, mail 1, mail 2, mail 3. Highlight mail 2 and press the delete button but don't actually delete it. Then ask a friend to send you a mail. When you receive the mail your highlighter moves down to mail 1, now delete the mail. Congratulations, you deleted mail 1, NOT 2.
    Now imagine that but with actual items and at the same time you delete mail and receive incoming mail.
    Oh, I didn't know it has been suggested before. Then besides a "Check All" feature, it can also be made so we hold down Ctrl key and then we are able to select multiple mails, or select first mail and then hold down Shift key and select the last mail then we can select all mails.

I'm aware of players reported the issue which accidentally causes a wrong mail being deleted. It surely need some tweaks. Before that, when I have multiple mails to delete I always start from the last one, and when there are only 1 or 2 left I carefully make sure that no new mails come in and then I proceed.
    edited January 2014
    cenomx wrote: »
    But when you want to delete 100 mails, it still takes about two to three minutes.
  • spicenspicen Member Posts: 248 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Empty mails from auction house will automatically be deleted after 5 days. So don't bother deleting them. I only delete mails from myself or other players to keep my mailbox pretty clean.
    edited January 2014
    spicen wrote: »
    Empty mails from auction house will automatically be deleted after 5 days. So don't bother deleting them. I only delete mails from myself or other players to keep my mailbox pretty clean.
    Personally I feel it being annoying to see so many empty mails every time I open mailbox so I would like my mailbox to be absolutely clean.
  • ananvilhurtzananvilhurtz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Personally I feel it being annoying to see so many empty mails every time I open mailbox so I would like my mailbox to be absolutely clean.

While we're suggesting convenience features, can we get a "Collect All" button for Tradeskills?
    Religion - 60 GF (15.3k GS)
    The Seeker - 60 DC (11.5k GS)
    Faithless - 60 CW (10k GS)
    edited January 2014
    While we're suggesting convenience features, can we get a "Collect All" button for Tradeskills?
    Yeah, we all want it. It has been suggested in another thread.
    edited January 2014
    I guess you are right. Now I basically give up deleting those empty mails because I decide that my life shouldn't be wasted on them.
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    cenomx wrote: »
    This often works, though I twice deleted the mail after the intended one and lost the attached item. My fail, but a sometimes unresponsive interface and lots of mail to delete (and I do not consider deleting mail a mini-game I want to invest time in) provokes this kind of error.

on a side note: I think the idea of "multi-select" has been invented ... wait, last week? last month? year? decade? century? NO ... last millennium!

Give me a break!
    sometimes I wonder if a product manager of this game even tries to use it more than 1 minute a day!
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm aware of players reported the issue which accidentally causes a wrong mail being deleted.

might as well be that the deletion of mail with attachments is intentional so PWE has another item/money sink where things get out of the game. The interface for "are you sure you want to delete" and "there are items attached do you want to delete" is basically identical.

A thinker might have put the DEFAULT selection on the popup for mails holding items on "Cancel".
    This way probably a lot of AD, ZEN items, enchants etc. are deleted everyday and have to be obtained again.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
    edited January 2014
    Could we also have "select multiple items and buy them out at once" feature on AH?

Every time right after we buy out an item, the AH refreshes the list. Isn't that burdensome to the server?
  • sirjestosirjesto Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 176 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Blame the deleting of emails with attachments on the devs, even though there is a warning. Complain about sitting at the mailbox all day deleting mails, even though it is yourself who bought the 60 items that are attached to them.....

Typical.

It's cool to suggest improvements that could be made to the game, but don't start blaming other people or "the game" because of your own actions.
    edited January 2014
    sirjesto wrote: »
    Complain about sitting at the mailbox all day deleting mails, even though it is yourself who bought the 60 items that are attached to them.....
    That's not complain. Instead, that's suggestion.

If players find something being not easy to use but can't make suggestions, then devs are unable to know any issue and the game can't be improved.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sirjesto wrote: »
    Blame the deleting of emails with attachments on the devs, even though there is a warning. Complain about sitting at the mailbox all day deleting mails, even though it is yourself who bought the 60 items that are attached to them.....

Due to some implementation issues, it is possible to delete a message that you did not designate for deletion, with no chance to confirm (because you already did confirm, but the message you intended was replaced by one arriving at the same time). Adding checkboxes to denote which mail to delete rather than deleting the single selected message from a list would potentially resolve this bug as well as adding a quality of life improvement.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited January 2014

you still have to shift through all of them to collect stuff, so deleting them is not the main point of the "mass operations" on mail...

you could somewhat reduce the volume of mail if you could directly collect the item from AH (i.e. if you are actually interacting with the NPC in PE), but for some reason the dev choice was to always receive a mail instead of the actual item... :/
  • calvin1tagcalvin1tag Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hopefully one day this is added - it should have been in the game day one!
  • harunhhharunhh Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Bumped because the neverwinter mail client is ridiculous not having this functionality. should be Simple enough to implement and is at first a minor annoyance which becomes a major annoyance.