What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Winter Festival Feedback/Thoughts

Comments

• Options
    revelskerevelske Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I sincerely hope there will be significant changes made to the rate at which one can obtain Simril as we head closer towards the end of the event, because as it stands, it is completely unreachable for anyone who has no desire to turn Neverwinter into sweatshop labour. I'm usually quite fond of repetitive farming and grinding (being Chinese and all), but there's a bloody issue when even I look at the amount of grinding required to obtain the reward in question (that being the smug little Fawn) and find it to be completely ludicrous and the task unthinkable.

I'm not quite sure if doubling Smiril gain from everything would even be enough. Triple might be what it needs though.

Man, I don't recall Midsummer being anywhere near as bad, the farming back then was actually quite pleasant (minus the flower thieves).
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    suzz56 wrote: »
    I like the race but I would like to know why my horse slows down on it's own, I have tried to figure out if there is a mechanic I don't know about or just a glitch.

I'm pretty sure it's a bug. It seems to happen at random, especially after I've lost speed after a sharp turn -- the boosters just don't kick up the horse's speed even though it shows 4 stacks of boost. When that happens to you, quickly dismount and re-mount. That seems to fix it every time.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    elcymerianelcymerian Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's a bug. It seems to happen at random, especially after I've lost speed after a sharp turn -- the boosters just don't kick up the horse's speed even though it shows 4 stacks of boost. When that happens to you, quickly dismount and re-mount. That seems to fix it every time.

I can confirm this.

Also my thoughts:

Fishing was great the first day. No color coding, no players running to every hole; I don't remember there was freezing (might have been and it doesn't bother me); and the most ridiculous things of all, random pop-up mobs that are pointless and barely have a reason for being there. Seriously, who is going to claim credit for putting that up as part of a fishing event. It's fishing, not everything needs to have a fighting component to it. It's not like they drop anything or give XP as far as I've been able to tell. Oh, and does anyone want all these light pods from the bags? If not I'm going to start building a cathedral with them.

The race, I really like it. The only "problem" is that people with purple mounts have a slight advantage. Travelling from the end of the race to it's start again is faster for them. Other than that, it's the one event that I feel is fair/balanced/equal for everyone.

The Monsters On Ice is pretty good also. Or rather it's pretty standard. Those who excel at the fighting mobs in the game regularly usually rank in the higher tier of the contest. It is a bit more fun then the Midsummer event due to the ice sliding. Adds a nice little component to it.

Last thing, lights don't drop at high enough amounts.

Midsummer was great. This Winter event reminds me somewhat of it. Much better then the Halloween and Waukeen events by far.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i don't know why some people seem to remember the midsummer festival as better than the winter festival. fireblossom farming wasn't really any easier. plus we're about to see what the height of the festival is going to bring as far as lights are concerned. i would bet we'll also have the ability to buy stars with tarmalune bars.
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i don't know why some people seem to remember the midsummer festival as better than the winter festival. fireblossom farming wasn't really any easier. plus we're about to see what the height of the festival is going to bring as far as lights are concerned. i would bet we'll also have the ability to buy stars with tarmalune bars.

Dunno about anyone else, but the main difference for me is that in the Midsummer festival, it looked as though the rate of petal acquisition was higher (the dailies awarded more petals and they could be gathered by crafting), so even though the piggy cost a lot, it felt like I was getting somewhere even though it took until 3 days left IIRC for my CW to get the piggy. In the Winter festival, the dailies reward a lot fewer lights so it feels like more of a grind for my DC to get that fawn -- let alone for my HR to obtain a horse or my CW to get an ice orb. In Midsummer I had weapon transmutes for my GF, a piggy for my CW, and fashion for all four existing characters at that time without having to grind for hours, and I was thrilled. It doesn't feel like I can do the same in Winter.

For me at least, there's also the issue of lag. There was no lag whatsoever for me even at max graphics settings in Midsummer, whereas in Winter, my fps drops to ~1.8 every time there's a skeleton or an HR uses Rain of Arrows or there's a bugged Seismic Shot fountain in the Monsters arena. I understand we've had graphics overhauls and "improvements" since summer (quotes because it's not an improvement if I can't run it but obviously ymmv) and that my laptop will rapidly become outdated like all laptops, but it's frustrating because my brain works much faster than 1.8 fps and it's hard to do anything when my fps is reduced to a slideshow.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    willadarkeaglewilladarkeagle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The event was fun at first, but by the 3rd day I was bored! The only thing I do now is check in and look through the scope--saving for the mimic companion.
  • Options
    runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013

The thing is that I didn't bother to farm the midsummer festival flowers at all. I did the daily on some characters. With that level of participation I was able to get everything I wanted from that event. Granted I didn't want a lot from it, but still.

With this event that doesn't feel like its the case. Look at the amount awarded from the daily quest and the events. Then look at the costs of the prizes. I don't mind the grind myself, because I still only want a couple of the prizes. And I can get them by spending a bit of time each day. But its certainly different than the midsummer event, because you really can't get the rewards from just doing the daily quest parts.

Now, if that makes it better or not... I don't know. Waiting to see what changes before I decide for myself. But I understand how some might think so at this point.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • Options
    suzz56suzz56 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    elcymerian wrote: »
    I can confirm this.

Also my thoughts:

Fishing was great the first day. No color coding, no players running to every hole; I don't remember there was freezing (might have been and it doesn't bother me); and the most ridiculous things of all, random pop-up mobs that are pointless and barely have a reason for being there. Seriously, who is going to claim credit for putting that up as part of a fishing event. It's fishing, not everything needs to have a fighting component to it. It's not like they drop anything or give XP as far as I've been able to tell. Oh, and does anyone want all these light pods from the bags? If not I'm going to start building a cathedral with them.

Some one said that it is now the way it was supposed to be , I thought fishing was great the first day too, like fishing is supposed to be... relaxing. Which is exactly the opposite of how it is now. I think it was the bot fishers too that ruined it for everyone.
  • Options
    cshellspunkycshellspunky Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ive really enjoyed the festival, very pretty and festive, however the last few days of fishing have been disappointing, the drying up of the holes occur way too frequently and the attacks seem to occur way more often, liked it better when there was less stress
  • Options
    khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i don't know why some people seem to remember the midsummer festival as better than the winter festival. fireblossom farming wasn't really any easier.
    In the Midsummer Festival you got 1-4 flowers from each flower patch, plus the flowers that the Kobolds dropped. That made the petals add really fast. The flowers per petals ratio was better. We didn't have to deal with the RNG that much. The dailies rewarded more petals.
    In the Winter Festival there are a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-load of things that could go wrong while you fish. The holes can freeze; you can be interrupted by skeletons; you can get a bag instead of a fish, which most of the time just crowds your inventory with useless junk, the fish can get away. You have to deal with the RNG a lot. The dailies reward less lights.
    Don't get me wrong, I like the Winter Festival more than the Midsummer one, but the way you gather the main currency is way tedious in this event.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,386 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Can some one please let me know what the point of the Winterkill Emblem and the Ring of Lights are after you have gotten you winter crafting to max? If there is no point, why reward them as much as they do and also if there is a dev looking into this, why is there not any Simril garb to craft / purchase like the Selune garb from the summer event?
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Zenith is coming up in a couple days, there is supposed to be more coming with tasks for the profession. So who knows what will be added to do.
  • Options
    denverralphydenverralphy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I'd absolutely love it if I could log in every day for the Stars required for the rewards. And yes... there are 21 days total to log in to get them... but guess what... requiring 18 out of 21 is a bit much. Between work and family obligations... I've had to cross the threshold between game and real life. What a load of troll dung... Event items should be a casual achievement with a modicum of dedication, not a "forsake everything in real life" achievement.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    scififan78 wrote: »
    Can some one please let me know what the point of the Winterkill Emblem and the Ring of Lights are after you have gotten you winter crafting to max? If there is no point, why reward them as much as they do and also if there is a dev looking into this, why is there not any Simril garb to craft / purchase like the Selune garb from the summer event?

They are adding more crafting options when the festival zenith starts ( I guess that is after this weeks patch ) so hopefully there will be some proper crafting options added like we had in Midsummer with the costumes , maybe they could also add a Snowball which would be the Winter equivalent of the Midsummer Water Balloon , I still can't believe that there was no Santa / Snowman costumes or hats to craft or buy.
    I'd absolutely love it if I could log in every day for the Stars required for the rewards. And yes... there are 21 days total to log in to get them... but guess what... requiring 18 out of 21 is a bit much. Between work and family obligations... I've had to cross the threshold between game and real life. What a load of troll dung... Event items should be a casual achievement with a modicum of dedication, not a "forsake everything in real life" achievement.

No offence intended but I fail to see how you have to "forsake everything in real life" , literally all you have to do is leave your character at the Festival bonfire , log on for no more than 60 seconds take the festival star quest , run to the telescope , click F then click esc if you don't like to watch the star animation , hand the quest in to the guy who is conveniently standing next to the telescope then run back to the fire and log off till the next day , 60 seconds at most if you don't renew your professions and pray and hardly life wrecking.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    scififan78 wrote: »

You need some of those items to rank up the winter crafting skill, too.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    manathayriamanathayria Member Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    I like the event to a point, it's nice to have another that's not making leveling zones unplayable for lower levels like the waukeen and tymora's events did, but I have an odd request, and one that might not be liked by some of those profiting off these events.

Give us either a slightly more expensive unlock of the seasonal companions that can be unlocked and gotten from the claims vendor on all of our characters, or make the seasonal companions an account unlock period. I like the events, but the farming gets obnoxious.

Even a third daily with some of these events that makes it so you can get the account unlock for the boe companions/mounts as an account wide unlock after getting the daily quest item every day of the event (with the currency for the account unlock carrying over between years).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    /Channel_Join NW_Legit_Community to run Dungeons without the exploits
  • Options
    sphecidasphecida Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 95
    edited January 2014
    I'd taken a break from NW for several months, but decided to try the Winter Festival. The Summer Festival was grindy, but at least I got a pig out of it, and it was kind of fun chasing chickens. I even won a few events, miraculously, since I'm not a expert player.

The first day I did the Winter events, it was fun. But I've been doing the Winter Festival for over a week now and have barely 600 Lights. My TR can't keep up with the AOE classes on the ice - I've just been throwing knives and waiting for the recharge. Fishing is all about who can do those two minute crafts over and over and over to get lures (bots?). The race is ok - I wish I just had to run it once per contest. I kind of wanted a fawn, even though I won't spend the AD to upgrade it. At this rate, there's no way I'm going to get it, and I'm heartily sick of the Winter Grindfest. The village is pretty, I'll give it that. It'd be more fun to have events in which players work together and get a decent reward. I'm remembering why I dropped NW off my playlist.

And don't get me started on paying AD plus Zen for enchanting! Yep, that belongs on another thread, but for players who've been away for awhile, it's a rude awakening.
  • Options
    frawnsfrawns Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Twilight Tor was quaint.
  • Options
    themagicbum87themagicbum87 Member Posts: 75
    edited January 2014
    The whole event is just a "meh" for me. I'm doing each contest once a day (and usually winning) so that will net me enough points for a weapon skin for my CW. I'll just buy the fawn off the AH if I want it, even though I dont really care about getting it yet. I got sleds on 2 of my characters and will get mimics on another 3, then just give mimics to my mains and sell the other one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    synslaughtersynslaughter Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    All in all, I think this Winter Festival is awesome. Potentially grind-y, yes, but fun. Visually stunning area (even if you're graphically limited like me,) LOADS of fun with the new ice physics, and endless fawn puns.

Speaking of fawns... while the benefits of the pet are somewhat debatable, it is kinda cute. Until you see someone with a fawn summoned. I wasn't going to put effort into getting one until that I got to see that terriadorable hippity-hop they do. HNNNG! Must... must HAVE! If fishing I must, fishing I will do. Fawngirl I have become, and with no apologies for it.

I noticed STO's Winter event has a similar slalom race. I don't play, but my boyfriend does, and watching him do it made me wish I did play it at the time. I'm glad I had the opportunity to do it here. Saves me having to navigate those disorienting space battles. :P

Great job to everyone on the team behind this event.
    I have the ability to heal you. A shield to protect you. Blades to slay your foes. Magic! So I'm a tiefling, so what? We have a common enemy, and a common goal. Here, you can put ornaments on my horns if it'll put you at ease.
  • Options
    gi0ngi0n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I finally got some time to participate in the winter eventv 2. i really liked it!
  • Options
    mlegermleger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    do you get double from fish?
    Thorin Oakenshield - 60 DC | Floki Longarm - 60 TR | Tiny Tank - 60 GWF
    Stand your Ground NW-DNBHK74ML
  • Options
    shiikuushiikuu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 65
    edited January 2014
    why not double the reward for fish too? its hard work to farm them while they give close to nothing
  • Options
    stopicanhitustopicanhitu Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    soooo many light pods and rings and emblems...why is there NOTHING TO USE THEM ON

this is just <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor...total failure
  • Options
    im0nlyaj0keim0nlyaj0ke Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    still waiting till some1 add the Star of Fortune to Trade Bar Merchant :(

• Options
    konariraidenkonariraiden Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I will just say this. Fishing started out as a long grind for that Fawn...but now it's turned into an enjoyable obsession; I have my Fawn, but now I'm kinda just fishing for the heck of it (maybe get that Dappled Horse if I can save up enough again)...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I present to you the winner of Konari's Signature Contest...SilversMoon from Heaven's Tear!
  • Options
    beelzebubbanwbeelzebubbanw Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That has been the rumor floating along with, fawn puns, what is the first MMO of all time, which I think we decided on some paintings in caves in Europe, why things are not like wow, and how to press the "F" key over and over by conning your children into "computer Fishing".

I think that covers the holidays on this game doesn't it?
  • Options
    xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That has been the rumor floating along with, fawn puns, what is the first MMO of all time, which I think we decided on some paintings in caves in Europe, why things are not like wow, and how to press the "F" key over and over by conning your children into "computer Fishing".

I think that covers the holidays on this game doesn't it?

That about sums up zone chat at the event for the last week. Never thought of conning the kid into "computer fishing" though. You learn something new every day. Whats that old saying, give a man a fish and something something but teach a man to fish and he will summon a sneezing fawn :P

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• Options
    excessfloodexcessflood Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    All you guys must be playing a different Winter Festival from the one I'm playing, because I find it to be absolutely terrible.

The zone itself is pretty nice. I like the design, the color scheme is pretty cool, and overall it feels nice and wintery. Right after you finish walking around and looking at stuff does the whole thing fall apart.

The events are just awful. Monsters on Ice is probably great if you play a ranged class. I play a Trickster Rogue and a Great Weapon Fighter, and just find the slipping around to be a nuisance. Yes, I have learned how to combat the sliding to a modest degree, but I find myself spending more time fighting the mechanics than the monsters.

Ice Fishing, some real excitement here. Click the button on the hole. Repeat. Thrilling me to my utter core. Why lift a mediocre profession that has been criticized in other games as already being boring, and dumb it down even more?

The Twilight Run, this one had some potential. The racing can be enjoyable and for a short while I found it interesting. That was until I was affected by the bug that prevents you from boosting. I've run into this issue multiple times over the past few weeks, and it has even cost me a few first place finishes, as the time needed to dismount then remount allows someone else just squeeze past me in points.

So, that's my opinion for events. The sound? Well, the music is pretty good. It's very relaxing and pretty chilled out. Nice and fitting for the zone. The effects? Goodness.. That constant *whooshing* noise I hear, all the time with the *whooshing*. Even when I'm sitting still by the campfire. *whoosh* *whoosh* *whoosh* It makes me want to jam an awl into both of my ears. Sadly, doing so would require me to actually get up and walk around my apartment to do so, and owing to the fact that I don't even own an awl, I find myself just turning my speakers off.

The profession is pointless, bar getting a better fishing pole. The zenith only added two "new" things, one of them just being the Hero's Feast that was available from the Midsummer Festival. And this one requires you to use a ton of fish to make it. Sorry, I'd rather use those fish so I can earn Lights of Simril at a pittance. The extra Rings of Light and Winterkill Emblems seem to not even be used for anything. Glad those are essentially useless after you rank up your profession to max.

Lights of Simril are earned at an abysmal rate. The daily quests provide you with next to nothing and the events are just as bad if you don't come anywhere close to ranking in the top spot. The zenith now doubles the rate of Lights you earn. Great, so now instead of getting nine I get eighteen from an event. This will no doubt encourage me to participate more.

In all honesty, I spend more time AFKing the events than participating. I ran the Twilight Race before I started typing this, then went AFK. Once that was over, I tabbed back in to kill a pack of Goblins for Monsters on Ice. Now I'm AFK again, typing. Doesn't really seem to be any point to trying when despite your best efforts in a contest, you can easily loose to random luck (Fishing) or a pretty heavy bug (Racing). At least there's no *whooshing* when I'm Alt-Tabbed.

Don't get me wrong everyone. I'm not the "Oh he hates everything" guy. I really want to enjoy this game. I wouldn't be here playing if I didn't like it. But I often have to wonder how much of the time these events are just being "phoned in" as opposed to having a lot of time and effort placed into them. I guess putting more effort into fun, free events just takes away from time that could be used to develop something that can be sold on the Zen store.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go catch one fish, then AFK again..
  • Options
    dadapawadadapawa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    so... apparently you can get more than 1 Star of Fortunes per day? but seems the quest to get them is still on same cooldown... ?