What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

124»

Comments

• Options
    thirstiusthirstius Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    While I find the OP's dilemma an interesting "end game" type of issue, I don't think I will ever come close to having 4 or 5 level 30 companions on the same character. I have one epic (from Founder pack), one rare (purchased), two uncommon (acquired during events) and a few common ones (the freebie, plus these are very cheap).

But I still find SCA to be quite entertaining. For those of you in the same boat (at least for now), don't give up on SCA -- and certainly join in the discussion on challenges such as what the OP is looking for.

Here is something I wrote that you might find encouraging while waiting for your stable of level 30's to fill out:

I find SCA to be an interesting logic/puzzle/strategy game. A good diversion while giving the main game a rest, or when you only have your tablet or laptop available (traveling, etc). I'm not that concerned about acquiring anything "uber" playing SCA -- the whole point to me is just to have fun and use my brain to figure it out (yes, you can beat many of the challenges with far less dice than having max lvl 30's -- you just need to use more strategy or "try again" rather than face-rolling your way through the puzzles).

So those of you reading this thread and might be getting discouraged from playing SCA because you only have a couple of blue or green companions (or even less -- the game lends you fill-in companions and dice if you have less than four companions), please give it a try and enjoy the game for what it is -- a fun diversion, similar to doing a crossword puzzle instead of working on your thesis -- the rewards are mostly in playing, not in the loot (which are mostly token rewards).

At least, that's what SCA is for me .... YMMV.
  • Options
    evileyecurseevileyecurse Member Posts: 38
    edited December 2013
    for the love of me, I really find this very addicting, addicting enough that I upgraded my ioun stone of allure to epic and bought another 3 epic companions! Somebody stop me pls... And i totally agree with the above poster :)
  • Options
    cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    imsmithy wrote: »
    The only realistic way of winning the Lightfoot Thief is by using 4 maxed out epic companions , this along with the fact that the only thing in the entire minigame worth ever trying to get is the Lightfoot Thief means I totally lost all interest in it and I'd be very surprised if I was the only one , that's all I'll say on the matter since I don't want to get into trouble for mentioning the thing we are forbidden to discuss on the ' forum ' .

Not so. I've done it with the following: Lillend, Dire Wolf, Sylph, Ioun Stone (blue). It's not easy, even for the lvl 30s, but it's not *supposed* to be easy. Hence, the term 'epic'.

I only run the epic 1-2 times a day, as 1. i'm working and 2. I'm spending more time hitting the winter festival quest to get more lights and such.

Personally, I find it a handy way to add some xp to companions I'd like to level up, but don't have the time to when I'm playing the actual game. It's a nice diversion.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    cdnbison wrote: »
    Not so. I've done it with the following: Lillend, Dire Wolf, Sylph, Ioun Stone (blue). It's not easy, even for the lvl 30s, but it's not *supposed* to be easy. Hence, the term 'epic'.
    basically you just said "you don't need 4 L 30's, because I only use 3 L 30's and a L 25"

wow...thats so much better
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    iamannoyingdeviliamannoyingdevil Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    cdnbison wrote: »

I only run the epic 1-2 times a day, as 1. i'm working and 2. I'm spending more time hitting the winter festival quest to get more lights and such.

Personally, I find it a handy way to add some xp to companions I'd like to level up, but don't have the time to when I'm playing the actual game. It's a nice diversion.

its good to know that it is possible to do it without a full epic party any chance that you can film a walkthrough of one of the epic dungeons with the party you named above as a tutorial to help us who are having trouble out
  • Options
    insanekirbyinsanekirby Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If a lot of people are interested in seeing a walk through of the T6 epic dungeon I will make one. I will post the link when I get the time to film it and upload it. I will also explain the dice and how all of that works since I've seen a couple people confused on which does what, and when to use them, and stuff like that.
  • Options
    greekstudgreekstud Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2013
    yes i did invest on 4 epic companions and i got em to 30 lvl recently so i began doing the t6 2 days ago...so far 10 kills of the boss
    the result? marks of the unicorn!!! and some gold ok
    not to mention that the rewards of the lower tiers are ridiculous
    the % of the companion is obviously low much lower than the rewards of epic dungeons in game the pitty is that the regular reward is a mark of unicorn which is useless ...
    the thing is that to be able to complete the dungeon needs as much money and effort as almost an epic dungeon in game with your player
    so its totally unfair to get these rewards and makes you wana stop it
    1) give us at least marks of the drake as rewards from t6 and worse marks from lower tiers
    2) give the companion with low % but also epic items (even not set ones) as alternative or else its not worth it
    3) maybe a companion but green from lower tiers?

anyway think about it cause for someone to invest and spend money on something it must be worth it comparing to doing something else eg playing the actual game which ofc is more fun so...
  • Options
    ikuruyoikuruyo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Has anyone actually gotten the Thief yet? I've been running it for the Tier 4 runestones and the lesser marks. Looking at my inventory from the last couple of runs I have picked up 7 tier 4 runes and 8 lesser marks of various types along with some "minor X stone" for artifact refining.

Thats the total from probably 3-4 runs.
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yes people have. Valiant the GWF posted his, I think his. And there has been 1 on the AH. But its a rare drop. You picking up refining marks is probably best youll see w/o running 50+ times.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ikuruyo wrote: »
    Has anyone actually gotten the Thief yet? I've been running it for the Tier 4 runestones and the lesser marks. Looking at my inventory from the last couple of runs I have picked up 7 tier 4 runes and 8 lesser marks of various types along with some "minor X stone" for artifact refining.

Thats the total from probably 3-4 runs.

I got one last night.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    How many runs dar? if ya don't mind me asking
    We can pretend.
    Oh Wonder - Without You

- Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    How many runs dar? if ya don't mind me asking

I wasn't keeping track. Maybe around 15.
  • Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just from the final encounter?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    I wasn't keeping track. Maybe around 15.

Lucky dog :)
    We can pretend.
    Oh Wonder - Without You

- Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I only have a couple of basic companions and one blue, so the highest I have done is some tier 3 stuff. I can not speak of what the higher level misions offer, though I can make some educated guesses...

This is going to have a higher payout for players that have better companions.
    I guess I get it, but it isn't worth upgrading companions for on its own. The rewards just aren't there.

As for the system itself, it's an enjoyable enough game, I just wish that it would, at a minimum, go ahead and declare a mission a failure when I is no longer possible to succeed, rather then forcing you to roll out. If I have 4 of the dragonling dice left and need 4 magic symbols, as soon as I roll and none come up it's over for me. Having to choose one die to remove and then roll the remaining dice again and again and again removing one more die each step is pointless.

I have lost that encounter. Just give me the hit and let me move on.

If you could also work out an auto-complete when success happens that would be nice, too. If I need one security, two perception, a magic and 3 combat, and the roll I make can produce that combination, then just give me the win and spare me the time of clicking each die to fill the requirement.

All in all I would say that it is a good start, and has some potential for expansion.

I was even pondering the possibilities of the system as a physical game with all of the different dice and cards representing different character archetypes at different ranks for people to play around a table, trying to collect more treasure than their friends as they make their way through a dungeon with a deck stacked full of monster cards with different challenges on them.
  • Options
    insanekirbyinsanekirby Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As promised I did in fact make a walk through of the T6 dungeon. It ended up being a full clear. Here is the link if anyone is interested in watching it. I came up with some basic strategies to use, which seem to work well considering I did another full cleared yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2glL_Qo228
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Cool Kirby. Very informative, much appreciated. GL on getting that companion.
    We can pretend.
    Oh Wonder - Without You

- Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    lpsxlpsx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    ty on T6 Kirby
  • Options
    greekstudgreekstud Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2013
    as i say in the other thread... 26 kills no companion... how small is the % i wonder and why they didnt announce it from the start so we wouldnt invest on companions but buy it directly from ah when it appears lol...!!!
  • Options
    aenedoraenedor Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think it's a nice little distraction. If they made this a mobile game, I'd be hooked!

Works ok on my windows phone mobile, stick https://gateway.playneverwinter.com into your phones browser.
  • Options
    starcherstarcher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm a new player that recently completed the companion quest in-game and got the Cleric. I tried this Sword Coast for the first time just now. It let me unlock a blue companion with 3 rune slots (even though I don't know what to do with those slots) and made my Cleric earn a level so that's cool. I also earned some AD, which I didn't have much of at all. My only regret is not doing the Winter Festival before using up my stamina since I won't be able to sign in to the actual game until about 3am est
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    starcher wrote: »
    I'm a new player that recently completed the companion quest in-game and got the Cleric. I tried this Sword Coast for the first time just now. It let me unlock a blue companion with 3 rune slots (even though I don't know what to do with those slots) and made my Cleric earn a level so that's cool. I also earned some AD, which I didn't have much of at all. My only regret is not doing the Winter Festival before using up my stamina since I won't be able to sign in to the actual game until about 3am est

Needs clarification. What companion did you unlock? And not entirely sure how you completed a SCA with 1 companion, not only that its a white lvl companion, but just 1 companion.
    We can pretend.
    Oh Wonder - Without You

- Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Needs clarification. What companion did you unlock? And not entirely sure how you completed a SCA with 1 companion, not only that its a white lvl companion, but just 1 companion.

Are you sure it is a blue companion, as the tutorial awards you the Dog companion, which is white, after completion. You place Runestones in those slots which you will acquire by looting skill nodes during your adventures.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starcherstarcher Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=2da7136

That's the link to a picture of my inventory and the pet description (temporary image storage website). I got confused since the (Bound) text was blue but the name is white I see now. I think it's great that the companion has slots though since I don't think my Cleric default pet does. The way I completed some adventures was the game gave me temporary companions that don't gain any experience in order to complete the tasks. I think it's great that the temporary companions had much better stats than my Cleric pet, otherwise I would have lost many of the battles.

I haven't had much time to play due to being at work a lot so thanks for informing me on what to do with runestones. I think I have a quest explaining them but I don't get to play much and have been messing around at the Winter Fest more than normal questing.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    The Cleric you get from the companion tutorial has runestone slots as well, all companions do no matter their level. Pay attention to the tooltips they can help, and don't just click through the tutorials, while boring they contain some good info as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chuamishaelchuamishael Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    the sword coast adventure is addictive, we need more rewards like 10k AD per run XD that will be nice