test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Disable Sound in Gateway?

braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
At some point in the past, it was possible to click a little ))) sound-wave icon on the Neverwinter Gateway to SILENCE the sounds that it made. While the little clicking noises when selecting things is not horrible, it was a nice option to have. I no longer see that icon (used to be up near the Log Out link area in the upper left).

The new Sword Coast Adventures makes a LOT of noise, and I see no way to silence it except to turn off my speakers, which I cannot do at work (I use them for other things). What this means is, I cannot use the Gateway's Sword Coast Adventures at work! I have to WORK at work! :O

Seriously, though, would it be possible to put the mute button back on the Gateway? Or maybe it's just Firefox that doesn't have it? I haven't tried other browsers...
Post edited by braxzana on

Comments

• skiptisskiptis Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm still seeing it. Can also enable / disable sound after starting SCA, icon is still below change character.
  • twelvevolttwelvevolt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm using firefox, and I have the sound icon that you can click to mute.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    . . . . . The sound icon is in the top left corner, just under the Change Character link. Are you zoomed in or or out? Are you using any sort of ad-blockers? Is your brower up-to-date?
  • braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, I moused around the area it used to be and I got a hand interaction mouse icon, so I clicked and it DID seem to disable the sound.... but it's not VISIBLE. Just an empty area under the change character area. No icon to click on. At least I CAN silence it, although I'm not sure why the icon doesn't show. I tried looking at the window maximized and there was no change. I am using the most current version of Firefox... or at least I thought I was... listed 25.0.1 but it also had a 12MB download so maybe that'll fix it. Restarting after update; here's hoping.

At least the work-around works (click in empty space DOES silence sounds). :)
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    braxzana wrote: »
    Well, I moused around the area it used to be and I got a hand interaction mouse icon, so I clicked and it DID seem to disable the sound.... but it's not VISIBLE. Just an empty area under the change character area. No icon to click on. At least I CAN silence it, although I'm not sure why the icon doesn't show. I tried looking at the window maximized and there was no change. I am using the most current version of Firefox... or at least I thought I was... listed 25.0.1 but it also had a 12MB download so maybe that'll fix it. Restarting after update; here's hoping.

At least the work-around works (click in empty space DOES silence sounds). :)
    . . . . . Well, that's good at least! Thanks for the report. Please reply if the update to your browser didn't resolve it. You may also want to try clearing your cookies and cache (but this will make you have to most likely authorize the Browser again, Account Guard). Thanks!
  • mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That's interesting.

Since the most recent patch (Winter Festival etc). the Gateway sound option for me has been defaulted to off. Either that or it's finally remembering that I clicked to disable it between sessions. Either way, I appreciate that I don't have to click "sound off" every time I log back into the Gateway.

Other than that, the sound icon shows up fine for me on Firefox 20.0.1.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You might have to do a ctrl + browser refresh, which is a browser hard refresh. One time it didn't show for me and once i did the hard refresh it loaded the icon.
  • braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Using 26.0 Firefox now and it doesn't show.... I am hesitant to do a complete browser cache refresh --- I've got other stuff cached that I don't want to lose. Now that I know it's just invisible (to me, anyway) I can play at work. :D
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    When you use ctrl + refresh, it is not deleting all your cache. It is just fixing your out of date cached version of the gateway. Your other pages will not be affected.
  • karmageckokarmagecko Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I use Chrome and I had the same issue. I clicked on the invisible icon below the change character link and it was able to mute sound.
    edited December 2013
    Good to know --- I've never used Control + Refresh before. I'll try that Monday and see if it clears things up. Thanks for the tip! :)
    edited December 2013
    braxzana wrote: »
    Good to know --- I've never used Control + Refresh before. I'll try that Monday and see if it clears things up. Thanks for the tip! :)
    Yep! CTRL+F5 refreshes the cache of only the page you are refreshing, not your entire cache. :)