test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

weird graphical issues

cerberusxllcerberusxll Member Posts: 387 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Bug Reports (PC)
not sure when it started, but recently, I have started to experience some rather off-putting graphics problems and I'm not sure if they are widespread or just afflicting me.

firstly, there has been a noted drop in frame rates. my 7970 has never had problems with frame rates, usually running at a solid 60fps, even with everything maxed.

now, it tends to run at half that, with drops as low as 12/14fps when rotating the camera.

second, there is a distinct delay in loading textures, both during the character selection menu, as well as ingame itself.

here are a couple of examples.

xpvu.jpg

unp4.jpg

also, when opening inventory, or any other windows, the icons don't load very quickly, but instead tend to pop in after a few seconds.

on top of all that, I seem to be experiencing lighting glitches and object flickering.

are these known bugs, or something that is likely to be a user end problem?

if it's the latter, what could be the cause, and how would I go about fixing it? as it is right now, the game is fairly unpleasant to play, given the performance I have been used to.
Cerberus | Scylla | Orion | Makelo | Nemesis | Ares | Artemis | Asclepius | Nyx | Hades | Dexithea | Dolos | Demonax | Athena | Enyo | Medusa | Talos | Alcyone
Post edited by cerberusxll on

Comments

• bajornorbertbajornorbert Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The graphical glitches can be an end-user problem:
    1. Verify if your gfx card or cpu is not overheating;
    2. Check if your using the latest drivers;
    3. Try reinstalling the game.

Graphics performance problems is caused by some bug introduced with module 2. I had the same issue, fps dropped in some locations to 5-7fps, from 40+fps pre module 2. A temporary fix is to switch your gfx card (in-game) from Auto/D3D 11 to D3D 9 or D3D 9ex (if you're running windows vista/7/8). The graphical glitches too will probably disappear if your switch to D3D 9.
  • cerberusxllcerberusxll Member Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The graphical glitches can be an end-user problem:
    1. Verify if your gfx card or cpu is not overheating;
    2. Check if your using the latest drivers;
    3. Try reinstalling the game.

Graphics performance problems is caused by some bug introduced with module 2. I had the same issue, fps dropped in some locations to 5-7fps, from 40+fps pre module 2. A temporary fix is to switch your gfx card (in-game) from Auto/D3D 11 to D3D 9 or D3D 9ex (if you're running windows vista/7/8). The graphical glitches too will probably disappear if your switch to D3D 9.

the temps seem fine, and the drivers I am using are the latest ones. I'm going to hold off trying to do a reinstall until I have exhausted every other avenue.

switching between D11, D9 & D9ex don't make any difference.
    Cerberus | Scylla | Orion | Makelo | Nemesis | Ares | Artemis | Asclepius | Nyx | Hades | Dexithea | Dolos | Demonax | Athena | Enyo | Medusa | Talos | Alcyone
  • bajornorbertbajornorbert Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Reinstalling game & switching to Dx9 solved the problem for me, but maybe others have another solution that works for you.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited December 2013
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've been seeing a LOT lately on some characters, but not all. Especially in PE when the ground and planters don;t show *at all*. Stopping and waiting for them to load-up is what it takes (three - sometimes up to five or six seconds).

I ran a forced verify and will check it tonight. But I don't think it's that. This definitely started when Mod 2 went live (I didn't even have this issue at Preview). Something happened at Cryptic's end and I'm not so sure that even reinstalling the game from scratch will fix the issue (it might, but that's a LOT of time and download to find out - freakin' 9+ GB because you STILL get the original release version then 8+ GB of patching - ugh).

I'm thinking to wait for this week's patch in the hope Cryptic fixes it before I resort to reinstalling. But that's my own plan of action, your mileage will vary.
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I get something similar with textures not loading initially at busy times, as well as lots of UI decoration and bag contents icons taking ages to appear. It only happens at peak times, and 99% of the time in PE, too.

My connection is reasonable. The game is installed on a fast SSD, the computer is fast, has plenty of RAM and a monstrous GPU. The fact that it only happens at peak times makes me suspicious.
    edited December 2013
    I've been seeing a LOT lately on some characters, but not all. Especially in PE when the ground and planters don;t show *at all*. Stopping and waiting for them to load-up is what it takes (three - sometimes up to five or six seconds).

I ran a forced verify and will check it tonight. But I don't think it's that. This definitely started when Mod 2 went live (I didn't even have this issue at Preview). Something happened at Cryptic's end and I'm not so sure that even reinstalling the game from scratch will fix the issue (it might, but that's a LOT of time and download to find out - freakin' 9+ GB because you STILL get the original release version then 8+ GB of patching - ugh).

I'm thinking to wait for this week's patch in the hope Cryptic fixes it before I resort to reinstalling. But that's my own plan of action, your mileage will vary.

I ran force verify earlier, didn't fix it.
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    I get something similar with textures not loading initially at busy times, as well as lots of UI decoration and bag contents icons taking ages to appear. It only happens at peak times, and 99% of the time in PE, too.

My connection is reasonable. The game is installed on a fast SSD, the computer is fast, has plenty of RAM and a monstrous GPU. The fact that it only happens at peak times makes me suspicious.

same here, I have a GPU that should in reality, have no problems running this game, and it didn't until sometime recent.
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    With Module 2, I get the same texture loading problems in the open world, most noticeable on floors, especially in the new Valindra's Tower dungeon.

I have never noticed any issues with texture loading on the Character Selections screen, however.

I use an Nvidia GTX 670 and the in-game video settings are already on Direct3D 9.
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    might be same issue i have although i dont have top of the line pc it should be more than enough for neverwinter, and i didnt have issues before, the slowdowns/stutter during turning and moving is same even with graphics on the lowest settings, another thing i noticed is hdd clicking when playing neverwinter, it might be just old age but i didnt notice it during anything else, now got an ssd, redownloaded neverwinter but its the same
    Paladin Master Race
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    noticed that turning on and off multi core rendering doesnt change a thing
    Paladin Master Race
    edited December 2013
    seems to be getting worse

qfv6.jpg
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Have you all tried using the troubleshooting section under the video options there might be something in there that might fix things. Might be worth a shot if you haven't yet.
    edited July 2014
    really, is there no other help for this?

sBwVar9.jpg

I've tried everything in the troubleshooting section and nothing has fixed it. I have even tried using different driver versions, but to no avail.

it seems to be worse at certain times of the day than others.
  • katamaster81899katamaster81899 Member Posts: 1,157 Arc User
    edited July 2014

sBwVar9.jpg

I've tried everything in the troubleshooting section and nothing has fixed it. I have even tried using different driver versions, but to no avail.

I think that looks better than normal tbh lol.

I have that issue with my heavy twilight nightmare mount, and occasionally when I enter protector's enclave, but it normally fixes itself after 10-20 seconds, which leads me to think that the boxy effect we have might be server side? This might also be me getting consused though...
    dulopa4e1d9.png
    || Axios Guild Leader || Neverwinter Trade Forum Moderator || Infernal Paragons ||
    Check out my foundry, titled "Akro's Gone Wacko", featuring our ex-CM Akromatik!: NW-DL8J7BY5T
    Erza Moonstalker | Lara Moonstalker | Julie Marvell | Erza Moonhunter | Annie Hellangel | Jenn Moonstalker
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited July 2014

That looks like missing textures to me. How much video memory does your graphics card have?
    You might try turning off hi-res textures, and/or reducing texture details.

Under Advanced perhaps try reducing "World Texture Detail" and setting "Video Memory Limit"
    edited July 2014
    3gb gddr5.

reducing graphics effects doesn't make a difference, other than make the overall game less appealing graphically.
    edited July 2014
    I think that looks better than normal tbh lol.

I have that issue with my heavy twilight nightmare mount, and occasionally when I enter protector's enclave, but it normally fixes itself after 10-20 seconds, which leads me to think that the boxy effect we have might be server side? This might also be me getting consused though...

I'm inclined to agree with it being server side, it's more evident at certain times of the day.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'm inclined to agree with it being server side, it's more evident at certain times of the day.

I doubt it's server side as more people would have it in that case. For some reason your textures aren't loading right. What are your full computer specs? What are your graphic settings (screenshot is probably easiest for this) What OS are you using? Are you using steam?
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Identical problem:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?667621-Graphics-probelm-Nvidia

After mod3 no reaction from dev side they dont care about it.
    Some moderator posting stupid weird thing too like: I HAVE P1 133 mhz 8 mb ram a banshee wodoo 8 mb graphic card and i run the game with full graphic.

When you install Nvidia nvidia graphic optimizer it set your graphic to full as it shoud be .

But the thing is this game req NASA pc to run .(no matter if the game favorite is nvida or alienware you will have the same ugly graphic glitch)

Cuz any other new MMO or new pc game what i have installed on my pc have better perforance and stability and i can run all of them on full graphic .

I think any one worry about her class in mod4 hou they will be nerfed or others buffed but the problem is .
    MOD4 patch note :
    BUY NEW PC or y cant play this game . Cuz we cannot fix graphical glitches we cannot afford to buy better hardware cuz y dont buy enugh zen and we cannot pay our workers to fix bugs.
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
    edited July 2014
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD7970

CPU: Intel i7-970 3.2GHz

RAM: 12GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz

I'm not using steam for anything to do with this game.

C3gWsZ5.jpg
  • schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    I doubt it's server side as more people would have it in that case. For some reason your textures aren't loading right. What are your full computer specs? What are your graphic settings (screenshot is probably easiest for this) What OS are you using? Are you using steam?

I have this Alienware X51 google it out .
    I dont care if any one of y say this problem comes from my pc its bull.s.
    Also i have good connection.
    I am using win7 Home 64bit.

Intel® Core™ i5-4460 Proccesszor (3.2 GHz, 6M, 4 Core)
    Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bites
    16GB DDR3 SDRAM, 1600MHz - 2 DIM
    1000 GB SATA HD 5400r/min
    2,0 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 6704

After a moth no reaction u buyed a new pc and still have this problem .
    The problem dont come from our hardware.

This PC(was my old pc) have also suggested by Nvidia optimizer full graphic.And runned perfectly before mod 3 no laag rollback or graphic glintch.

Intel 3300 cpu 3.GHZ 4 core
    RAM:8 GB tunning DDR4
    Win7 64 bit
    Nvidia Gforce 650GTX for gaming
    DDR5 4096mb

By the way with my old PC (got my wife ) all new MMO and PC games run on full graphic .
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
    edited July 2014
    seems to me to be a problem affecting more than just me & a few others. maybe the issue is more widespread than some people realise.
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I get the same kind of texture loading delays on the character-creation screen and in Protector's Enclave (though not quite as bad as the albino polygon trees), but not anywhere else in the game. Elsewhere I just get less-than-stellar-but-tolerable fps (on the order of 17-35 depending on the environment). I blamed it on having a 3-year-old laptop. It's got an AMD Radeon 6620 and 6 GB of RAM. The game used to run much more smoothly in open beta than it does now -- but again, I blamed it on more players (= more stuff to render) and having a 3-year-old laptop.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • harrybushtillharrybushtill Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I just wanted to add my problem to this post, as it has been getting steadily worse over the last six months. Near as I can tell the server is streaming textures to the system, and gets lagged when the server side is busy. Whoever came up with the idea of streaming textures to the client should not be working for a server-side company. I've gotten used to having to hit Esc any number of times every few minutes in Neverwinter town and Icewind Dale. Textures are just not there, even on "simple" screens. Frankly, this is bugged to the max.
  • frufirefrufire Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Still not fixed.

[IMG][/img]6s7wnc.jpg
  • sylveri0nsylveri0n Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    My X51 is having the same problems. Been having them for a long time now. It's gotten worse recently. Now the game hangs up with that red message at the top middle of the screen unable to talk to server (my intenet is fine, I tab out and surfing and other downloads work fine) even though all the chat channels work. This is getting old.
  • izidiusizidius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited September 2014
    Been having this problem in Protector's Enclave. My mount would not appear till seconds after and at times the ground would disappear from under me or a building would take some time to load up. Only happens in the city.
  • lotusbellelotusbelle Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    izidius wrote: »
    Been having this problem in Protector's Enclave. My mount would not appear till seconds after and at times the ground would disappear from under me or a building would take some time to load up. Only happens in the city.

This has been happening to me HORRIBLY the past week. Trying to run around in PE and now in Thayvian Red Wizards is atrocious! I have fallen through the ground while riding my mount, only to get bumped back to solid ground. My mount is at most times completely invisible, I seem to ghost glide across the ground instead of actually moving, and if I am moving during a quest or in combat my character is facing backwards or sideways while I walk straight ahead. My screen also just completely freezes at times, sometimes staying frozen for about 5 minutes in real time, ofcourse to be killed outright as soon as it unfreezes and the lag slows down. The in game music is also laggy and sounds like a warped record at times.
  • aspen1979aspen1979 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 64
    edited October 2014
    1 month now, this has started for me as well. noticeable a lot on character select.
    Do we have a fix? something to turn off, is it an AMD thing? bad driver update? anyone?
    its been great till about a month ago, over a year and a half no issues. why now?
  • gornonthecobgornonthecob Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It's not just you. I've noticed its been happening A LOT here in the last 2 weeks. I run a Nvidia GTX580, so it's not just an AMD problem. The textures do load in eventually, but it's very slow.

Are the textures client side or server side? That alone will answer a LOT of questions.
    @Locksheon

Locksheon Gaming
    Follow me on Twitch - Youtube - Facebook!