test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion: Invoking & the Gateway

cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Since release, there has been a general cry for some way to invoke using the Gateway. People don't want to lose those coins, after all, and - given the rewards - it's understandable.

PW and Cryptic, for reasons that are also understandable, haven't implemented this. They want people logging in and playing the game.

Sometimes, though, you can't get to a PC to invoke, despite ones best intentions. And *poof* all that work goes up in smoke.

So, this is not a call for a way to invoke using the Gateway to continue to reap celestial coins. Instead, I'd like to suggest that there be a way to 'reset' the timer via the Gateway. Let's call it 'rewardless invoking'. The idea is that a player could reset the 29 hour timer (maybe a 5 min. mini-game? just to avoid bots), but not actually get anything other than the extension to the timer. So, while they don't get anything, they also wouldn't lose anything.

I have no idea how technically feasible this would be, but as the character timer is likely already tied into the Gateway, I can't see it being terribly difficult to do.

Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    cdnbison wrote: »
    So, this is not a call for a way to invoke using the Gateway to continue to reap celestial coins. Instead, I'd like to suggest that there be a way to 'reset' the timer via the Gateway. Let's call it 'rewardless invoking'. The idea is that a player could reset the 29 hour timer (maybe a 5 min. mini-game? just to avoid bots), but not actually get anything other than the extension to the timer. So, while they don't get anything, they also wouldn't lose anything.

Your wish is granted. Or it will be when Sword Coast Adventures is turned on. There is a short adventure (5 encounters) that you can do there that will reset the timer.
  • skippymcjuniorskippymcjunior Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I give this idea a +1. I catch myself a lot not invoking but using the gateway for professions. I wish they'd make a system where you could consume a portable altar and maybe spend a little gold for the compensation of not entering in game.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    Your wish is granted. Or it will be when Sword Coast Adventures is turned on. There is a short adventure (5 encounters) that you can do there that will reset the timer.

Yeah, that's pretty funny that the implementation they were testing is pretty much identical to what he described.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • cdnbisoncdnbison Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For those pointing out this will be included - SWEET! Thanks for the update.

I avoid Test as I don't want to burn myself on content before it's released, so I am very much in the dark about just what the adventures in SCA can / will do. Any links to a summary on what else we can expect (besides levelling up companions)?

This is very good news.
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The basics is that it is a dice rolling game. You select 4 companions to send on an adventure and each encounter is divided up into a bunch of encounters. The goal is to make it to the end of the adventure and beat the boss. You don't need to complete every encounter. At minimum complete enough to open up a path to the next floor or to the boss.

For encounters, you select one of your 4 companions to try and beat it. You roll the dice and use those dice to get enough of the various symbols before you run out of dice to roll. Some encounters are multiple stages. So for example, first you need to get 1 perception symbol and 5 combat symbols, then another stage to get 3 thievery symbols once you completed the first one. While others have only one stage. So you need to get 1 perception, 5 combats, and 3 thievery. Beat the encounter and you get companion XP, some gold, and various items (though you only get the gold and items if you complete the entire adventure).