test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Request for Background Lore for Enchanting & Refining.

ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Art and Fiction
Hi Devs,

In regard to enchanting there could be a story which briefly tells players the history of these enchantments and runstones. I did the enchanting quest today, and found that the NPC only tells some dull instructions. That's pretty much like: "Ah... just drag and drop this, and then you can upgrade that. Good bye." It would be better to have a background story being associated with enchanting for role playing purpose, even if it's just several paragraphs.

Speaking of role playing, because of my wizard's alignment, he didn't use Dark Enchantments and Profane Runestones in the past. Although players can now use any enchantment or runestone to feed other enchantments or runestones, there is an unexplained question: what will happen to those enchantments and runestones being consumed? Will they become primordial energy, which is neither good nor evil? Or will they become energy of the same type? For example, when my wizard is feeding his Radiant Enchantment with Dark Enchantments or Profane Runestones, is he feeding it with primordial energy or with dark/profane energy? Without knowing that, my wizard can't feel relieved to feed his other enchantments and runestones with Dark Enchantments and Profane Runestones he found in his adventures.

So could you consider adding an enchanting-related background story, which also explains the "before and after" of enchantments and runestones being consumed, for enriching contents of this game and also for perfecting role playing in this game? Thank you.

Sincerely,
A role player
Post edited by ianthewizard2012 on

Comments

• dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I could have sworn that it said someone you are creating a pact with a devil when you refine your enchantments.
  • crosschancrosschan Member Posts: 949 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Tip: Try using your own imagination. It's called Role Playing. ;)
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hi Devs,

In regard to enchanting there could be a story which briefly tells players the history of these enchantments and runstones. I did the enchanting quest today, and found that the NPC only tells some dull instructions. That's pretty much like: "Ah... just drag and drop this, and then you can upgrade that. Good bye." It would be better to have a background story being associated with enchanting for role playing purpose, even if it's just several paragraphs.

Speaking of role playing, because of my wizard's alignment, he didn't use Dark Enchantments and Profane Runestones in the past. Although players can now use any enchantment or runestone to feed other enchantments or runestones, there is an unexplained question: what will happen to those enchantments and runestones being consumed? Will they become primordial energy, which is neither good nor evil? Or will they become energy of the same type? For example, when my wizard is feeding his Radiant Enchantment with Dark Enchantments or Profane Runestones, is he feeding it with primordial energy or with dark/profane energy? Without knowing that, my wizard can't feel relieved to feed his other enchantments and runestones with Dark Enchantments and Profane Runestones he found in his adventures.

So could you consider adding an enchanting-related background story, which also explains the "before and after" of enchantments and runestones being consumed, for enriching contents of this game and also for perfecting role playing in this game? Thank you.

Sincerely,
    A role player

Enchanting is evil anyways, you are actively killing and looting targets. It can be considered a robbery.

/sarcasm aside, that's the NPC's job, to tell you how refining works not who was the first person to step on the moon, etc. and adding lore to the conversation would be confusing towards newer gamers.

Take care.

• morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    My wizard needs to know from whence this mysterious 'Zen' cometh. 'Via microtransactions using a credit card' was the response, but what is this 'credit card'? Is it evil? Or even maybe fueled by the souls of dead children*? WHAT DARK SORCERY IS THIS

*if it's American Express, the answer is yes
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    Moderator Notice:
    . . . . . If one doesn't have anything nice to say, then don't say it. Remember: Show respect at all times. Thanks!

. . . . .
    Offending posts have been removed. Do not reply to this Moderator Notice, instead contact us via PM to discuss Moderation.
  • dandare#8529 dandare Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ianthewizard2012 (if that IS your real name). I do somehow understand your concerns and in fact share them to vivid point. What you aim for is in fact what we really call Role Playing as for nothing within a good role-play should be unexplained, lousy or contradicting. Although we need to remember it is game and as such: sole mechanics take massive efforts (especially if it's as gorgeously complex as in here) and not everything always is polished like a fine Rogue Stone the moment it appears. Yeah.. game haves own laws... like good ol' Edwin said:
    Edwin: I do not understand this... 'mouse magic' that makes me do thine bidding.

Yep... I can live with mouse magic.

Ehm. Well about enchantment concerns I do guess that there are at least a dozen possible explanations with main patron of arcane (Mystra) dead and 'old magic' shambling in chaos as to what they really are. I would say they're something alike to 'one of remaining resources to contain elemental magic of various alignments'. If we treat it as like you said 'primordial energy' (which is fine with FR lore as far as I go, though sounds a bit .. Titan'ish if you know what I mean:P) then indeed their 'base' being a pure magical/mystical energy might mean they can 'assimilate' each other. Also such process would explain enchants of same alignment being more compatible as they do not need to be reverted back to primary state.

Lastly: I wouldn't say this bad, this good about energies. Although there are in Forgotten Realms some 'energies' considered generally to be 'evil' like 'Undeath' or in the case of outer realms 'Madness' but still it is occasionally proven many times that energy is not capable of being bad or good on it's own unless it posses a will. So the so called Dark or Profane enchants/runes are merely a certain so-called type of energy and their use is up to user.

Oh, my that was long of me...

Anyway: I agree with ianthewizard2012 and would love to see an additional lore (as we have tens of dozens through Neverwinter and nearby regions ;P ) about enchants explaining a bit of their history and mechanics ^^

Sincerely yours - Angry Neko Elf
    "You stand as inspiration. You are practically the Avatar of Buttkicking." -Quote towards Minsc
    "I choose You Jymaru!" ~for there are times when more than words need to do the talk
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    d21e4/Angry Neko Elf, thanks for sharing your ideas! I actually had the same thought that these enchants' bases might be pure magical/mystical energy so that they can consume each other without being polluted and without their original effects/functions being affected. If we can learn a lore about this, it would be very nice.
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hi Devs,

Sincerely,
    A role player

I have a short idea for how it could be:

Enchantments
    After the spellplague, strange magics infused many different objects, materials that shine with magical lights. After much experimentation, it was discovered that these objects were attracted to certain weapons and armor, moving towards them as if they were alive. One wizard decided to test what would happen if one of these objects touched a weapon; the object appeared to merge with the weapon, which took on the same glow as the object. Testing the weapon showed that wielding it caused the weapon to hurt its target more. A similar test was carried out with another object, and it was discovered that this object allowed the weapon to siphon life out of its target and heal the wounds of its wielder. However, by accident, some of the objects were destroyed during this last test, which resulted in their magics flowing into the weapon, increasing it's magical potential These objects came to be known as "enchantments" and have been sought after by many adventurers as a previous resource.

Runestones
    The experiments with the objects that came to be known as enchantments inspired several of those who participated in the experiments; "Was it possible to create an artificial enchantment" they wondered. Many methods of creating these artificial enchantments were tested, most of them resulting in failure, with some resulting in horrific failures that cost some their lives. Only one method of creating these enchantments ever worked: carving magical runes onto a scrying stone and physically destroying the enchantments while in close proximity to these stones. At least, it worked in the sense that these artificial enchantments were able to draw in the magic from the enchantments, as the experiments always failed to bond an artificial enchantments, now called "runestones" to any armor or weapon. The wizards participating in the experiment had almost given up hope, when one of their assistants picked up the runestones while attempting to place it in storage. In a flash of light, the runestone disappeared, and the assistant found themselves with a rune identical to the one from the runestone glowing on their shoulder. The assistant was stronger than they had ever been thanks to the runestone, and thus the experiment to create an artificial means to enchant weapons and armor ended with the creation of a means to enchant people.
  • ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tharkan wrote: »
    I have a short idea for how it could be:

Enchantments
    After the spellplague, strange magics infused many different objects, materials that shine with magical lights. After much experimentation, it was discovered that these objects were attracted to certain weapons and armor, moving towards them as if they were alive. One wizard decided to test what would happen if one of these objects touched a weapon; the object appeared to merge with the weapon, which took on the same glow as the object. Testing the weapon showed that wielding it caused the weapon to hurt its target more. A similar test was carried out with another object, and it was discovered that this object allowed the weapon to siphon life out of its target and heal the wounds of its wielder. However, by accident, some of the objects were destroyed during this last test, which resulted in their magics flowing into the weapon, increasing it's magical potential These objects came to be known as "enchantments" and have been sought after by many adventurers as a previous resource.

Runestones
    The experiments with the objects that came to be known as enchantments inspired several of those who participated in the experiments; "Was it possible to create an artificial enchantment" they wondered. Many methods of creating these artificial enchantments were tested, most of them resulting in failure, with some resulting in horrific failures that cost some their lives. Only one method of creating these enchantments ever worked: carving magical runes onto a scrying stone and physically destroying the enchantments while in close proximity to these stones. At least, it worked in the sense that these artificial enchantments were able to draw in the magic from the enchantments, as the experiments always failed to bond an artificial enchantments, now called "runestones" to any armor or weapon. The wizards participating in the experiment had almost given up hope, when one of their assistants picked up the runestones while attempting to place it in storage. In a flash of light, the runestone disappeared, and the assistant found themselves with a rune identical to the one from the runestone glowing on their shoulder. The assistant was stronger than they had ever been thanks to the runestone, and thus the experiment to create an artificial means to enchant weapons and armor ended with the creation of a means to enchant people.
    Nice and inspirational works. Thank you. :)