test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

First Person View Possible?

lividicus03lividicus03 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi everyone,

I've been playing Neverwinter for about a month, and have been thoroughly enjoying it. I find the graphics to be the best in the MMO world today. That being said, I would really really enjoy being able to switch to a First Person view for combat and running around the world in general. I find myself staring at a brick wall for minutes at a time in the "inspector mode" and would be 100% sold on playing this game indefinitely if I could get the added immersion that First Person would implement.

I'm assuming that it would be very easily possible. The inspector mode already zooms in all the way and allows for combat. The viewpoint of the camera would need changed to match the head, so we could see our weapon strikes and watch our foes collapse at our feet! I'm very passionate about the idea because I believe it would outreach to an even bigger demographic, the first person shooter/immersion junkies. I find my self constantly imagining what it would be like to vanish, then teleport behind an enemy and see it all go down in first person.

I'm not sure, maybe I'm alone out there, but I would thoroughly enjoy being able to travel the dungeons of Neverwinter with the added immersion that 1st person could provide!
Post edited by lividicus03 on

Comments

• Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Sounds like someone liked Skyrim in first person, I preferred it for fights as well, regardless of framerate. That point aside, this would take far more work than you might first assume, especially if they wanted it to seem genuine and actually look passable. This idea is just not practical as it would require massive re-working of the game's engine itself (not to mention a whole lot of animation and texture work).

There's just no room in the budget for stuff like this, sorry to disappoint.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It's not practical here. You actually need to zoom out your camera if you wanna be more efficient in combat. In PvP TRs will be able to get any of their abilities easy on first person view people, since you can't see **** behind you :)
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Combat in this game would be a nightmare in first person , personally I can't wait for eso pvp so I can mash up all the players who want the 'added immersion' of dying a lot from first person perspective.
  • Options
    krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    First Person would be very nice, especially with 3D vision... I am afraid playing as a team would make it hard to see what's happening to others, or what's coming behind you... Might add a challenge tho...
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I find my self constantly imagining what it would be like to vanish, then teleport behind an enemy and see it all go down in first person.

Luckily, Dishonored is cheap in the Steam sale right now.
  • Options
    themagicbum87themagicbum87 Member Posts: 75
    edited December 2013
    I'm not sure how far in it would go, but you could try /gfxsetdefaultfov and set it to something really low; not sure if zero would work, but maybe 1 or 2?

EDIT: Nevermind, just looked it up and the parameters are only 30 to 150.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    marvelz0mbiemarvelz0mbie Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I doubt I'd personally use First Person mode while in combat, but I would definitely like to be able to zoom in-and-out to some extent. Sometimes certain maps can make the default camera location result in your character being obscured by walls or objects. And sometimes - especially when tanking - I like to get up close and personal.... This is a big 'quality of life' item for me....
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I was a first person purist until Skyrim when I switched back and forth - melee and running around were easier in 3rd, looting and ranged in 1st. Melee because of the need for some kind of peripheral vision and running around for vanity. Looting because the mouse got weird close up in 3rd and ranged because the game drew the projectile path from character not your view point, meaning it was easy to hit terrain features instead of enemies. Neither of the 1st person things matter in NW as the game won't let you use a targeted power if you don't have a shot and looting is pop up based. The biggest disincentive I can see to playing in 1st is the lack of side vision or even knowing exactly where you're standing, critical when there are so many red areas on the battlefield. Also, even if you aren't consciously thinking about it, you get a feel for timing based on the animations of your character. When I get in one of the occasional angles where the camera zooms in and I can't see my character, it really throws my timing off. Add to that the number of AOE attacks that a char can use, a GWF's at wills would be able to hit mobs that the player couldn't see, leading to less than optimal facing.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
This discussion has been closed.