test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Weaponsmiting success probability heavely bugged!

hinageshi79hinageshi79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
I'm performing that rare level 10 weaponsmithing task, such us dagger +3, losngword +3, greatsword +3 and so on... I'm using 1 steel anvil and 3 mithral grindstone that result in a 44% of probability to gain a rank 3 result. I made 13 attempts and never "win".

44% is a good chance of success, it's extremely improbable that for 13 times I fall in that 56%... so the task are bugged. I'm tired to waste time and resource trying to gain that rank 3 result. Please fix it.
Post edited by hinageshi79 on

Comments

• syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Improbable =/= Impossible
    contents to be decided
  • hinageshi79hinageshi79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    syka08 wrote: »
    Improbable =/= Impossible
    I really dislike that kind of stupid comment... It is clear that there is something that doesn't work with probability.
  • hinageshi79hinageshi79 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    anyone can help me to understand?

Is the probability bugged? maybe instead of 44 it count 4.4 lol
    Are the entire tasks bugged? They stated I can obtein rank 3 result but it is not true?

I'm continuing to burn resources... very sad about this
    edited November 2013
    I searched around in the forum but didn't find any old post related to this issue. No one noticed anything?
    Now I reached 20 try and all my cristal are gone... I will by other crystal in AH (if the price is honest) but not before this problem is solved.
  • ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    20 tries failed in a row with a failchance of only 56% = simple impossible.
    edited November 2013
    I opened a bug ticket in game... and hope in a quick fix.
  • kershelkershel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    % is a tricky stat.

less the %, bigger the chance of rolling in the fail zone.

meaning :

I farmed Heroic UP in WOW for about a year and some weeks with a 1.4 % drop on the blue proto drake. (only one run per day was allowed)

this means that during my 400-500 runs i should at least have seen it 3 times, or 4 times.

well i didnt, i saw it drop twice.

and i know people who werent farming for it that actually saw it drop a 4-5 times in their wowtime.

with a small 1.4 % I can run that dungeon forever and never actually get the thing. Cause the loot is always rollin in the negative/fail zone.

even if your % is 44% you can be unlucky and roll over a 100 times in the negative.

I know it sounds impossible, but it is.

try testing it with a 100 face die. You can roll that die a 100 times over number 44 to 100 and never hit a number under 44.

im the type of guy to be able to roll in the negative a bunch of times. I dont BELIEVE in luck, but i can say that my ratio in luck-things in life is really really low.
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It really isn't a stupid comment. It's a true comment, especially when you get into the field of random number generators, which do their best to emulate randomness, but in the end, most say, fall short.

It is entirely probably to roll a 6 sided die 20 times and never get a 6, even though you have a 1 in 6 chance. It may seem impossible, when in fact the only way it could be is a) the dice is weighted to on side or b) the 6 doesn't exist.

In this case, what you're experiencing is just that. You're rolling a "dice" but not getting your desired outcome. And I realize I'm reiterating a lot of what @kershel is saying. Plus, sample pools of 20 or even a hundred are extremely small to draw any sort of conclusions from.

So, you're either calling the house out about being weighted against you (Which can be the case, sure.) Or, you're just experiencing the negative effects of RNG, where people who have a 1% chance to fuse shards into a lesser enchantment occasionaly exceed.

I'm betting on the later.
    contents to be decided
    edited November 2013
    I understand your words, but simply i think it is more probable that there is a bug than I am so unlucky. It is near impossible.I made several tries with low chance and failed, so bought thepurple grindstones spending a lot and with 44% i continue to fail try after try. It is simpliatic to thibk like you and giving the unluck all the responsabilty: there is a problwm with these task

EDIT
    lol forgive all my typo i'm writibg with smartphone but have some problems with this site.
    edited November 2013
    i made more tentatives (4) and always failed with 44% succes prob. Now i'm at 24 fails on 24 attempts with 44% succes prob. I am sure it is w bug, not unluck.
    please, devps, give a look on this bug couse ibought purple assets !
    edited November 2013
    I didnt find in ah any of these rank 3 results... can it confirm these tasks are bugged?
  • poisoncloudpoisoncloud Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I think those % is not a chance really... It seems like it's just a certain threshold (50% i guess?) above which you get the higher result, that is above certain % you get lvl 2 result and below lvl 1. And at 100% it is lvl 3 result...
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    . . . . . A guildy is also experiencing dismay over her consistent un-slotted productions working metalsmithing. All I ask is that the Devs look into it and see if they see any obvious bug(s) in the system in relation to level 20 Metalsmithing (and Weaponsmithing or just Crafting in General) and end-tier shirt/pant's chance to come out slotted. Thanks!
    edited November 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    . . . . . A guildy is also experiencing dismay over her consistent un-slotted productions working metalsmithing. All I ask is that the Devs look into it and see if they see any obvious bug(s) in the system in relation to level 20 Metalsmithing (and Weaponsmithing or just Crafting in General) and end-tier shirt/pant's chance to come out slotted. Thanks!

just a correction... i'm speaking abiut level 10 (not 20) but the i suppose it is the same... i made more attempts yesterday (6 attemts) and again no win. I Looked again for that gemmed weapob +3 in ah an i found some so the chance is not 0% ( for me 0 win in 30 attemts) but should be very bugged. lol look at the comma , maybe for the system it is 4.4 instead of 44% lol.

I bought purple grindstones (ok it was my choice) and every attemts cost me 2000-2500 ad and 1h. aNd i have 2 toons
    edited November 2013
    I think those % is not a chance really... It seems like it's just a certain threshold (50% i guess?) above which you get the higher result, that is above certain % you get lvl 2 result and below lvl 1. And at 100% it is lvl 3 result...

it is impossible to reach 100%. i havw 3 purple grindstone and 1 blue anvil and have 44%
    edited December 2013
    I want resume this post. I won 1 task so I stopped to write here, but with my alt I continue to fail... after that won I failed 9 times in a row. Again, with 44% success prob it is very very strange. I think now I tried a numbwr of times high enough to make clear rhere is a % problem. I won 1 time in sonething like 35 attempts, so my saccess ratio is 2.8%...
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Does Artificing suffer the same failure rate? I would literally throw my computer from my window if I fail making the CW orb , especially since the failure reward seems to be 3 piece's of some crafting material?
  • kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    The RNG in this game is truly pants, with extremely poor distribution. It's.. "streaky" or "clumpy", if you prefer.

While a 75% probability skill node failing ten times in a row is indeed possible. It doing so twice in one day looks distinctly fishy. A better PRNG with a more uniform distribution (while maintaining unpredictability) is sorely needed. Right now the horrible streakiness just makes people reach for their tinfoil hats.

The things that happen are so statistically unlikely on occasion that I am a little disappointed not to have also seen spontaneously created unicorns on my front lawn likewise :)
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    imsmithy wrote: »
    Does Artificing suffer the same failure rate? I would literally throw my computer from my window if I fail making the CW orb , especially since the failure reward seems to be 3 piece's of some crafting material?

With the Fomorian crafting, if you stack up sufficient blue tools, you can give this (over) 100% chance of success and not worry about RNG hurting you. Just pay attention.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    With the Fomorian crafting, if you stack up sufficient blue tools, you can give this (over) 100% chance of success and not worry about RNG hurting you. Just pay attention.

I just logged off just before I came to have a quick look on here and noticed that the orb has 5 slots for tools and looking on the AH the blue ones are nice and cheap at the moment so at least that's one worry dealt with , thanks for the tip . :)
    edited December 2013
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    The RNG in this game is truly pants, with extremely poor distribution. It's.. "streaky" or "clumpy", if you prefer.

While a 75% probability skill node failing ten times in a row is indeed possible. It doing so twice in one day looks distinctly fishy. A better PRNG with a more uniform distribution (while maintaining unpredictability) is sorely needed. Right now the horrible streakiness just makes people reach for their tinfoil hats.

The things that happen are so statistically unlikely on occasion that I am a little disappointed not to have also seen spontaneously created unicorns on my front lawn likewise :)

unlucky that rng works everytime against us and never in favour... 2.8% instead of 44% is vwry bad expecially if you think that ppl by assests to reach that 44%...
  • softrock1softrock1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My Fomorian Orb today fail..... sux. got 80% on crafting quality and my grandmaster artificer was gone... if you fail crafting on this, is your grnadmaster artificer also be gone? mine was gone.. Final result on crafting orb... ORNAMENTAL MITHRAL.. wahhhh. only asset return was my purple mithral file.... is this bug or just my bad luck? need insight on this if you have. thnx