test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Other than the Stone or Cat...

tampabaytktampabaytk Member Posts: 37 Arc User
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Is there any reason to gear up your companions?
Post edited by tampabaytk on

Comments

• Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If you use the companion, then it doesn't hurt to have gear since L 60 blues are pretty common. This will help them, but of course its not going to make a white companion awesome all the sudden.

I wouldn't spend anything more then seals on something purple, but if you're getting lots of lower rank jewels that don't sell well or at all, you could use those instead of salvage.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    sternerrsternerr Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm not sure whether stats really add anything to companion efficiency.

Extra health sure helps a bit. I tried to build up power, but it looks like this stat just doesn't work on companions. I also raised recovery, didn't notice any difference with stopwatch on cooldowns.
  • Options
    focusmanfocusman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    in the new module you can send companions on quests, so maybe it helps them to succesfully finish it? (thats the reason why I gear them, with good blues and as said before purple items from seals)
    Wizard of Oz

Black Lotus

http://nl.twitch.tv/wixardofoz
  • Options
    tampabaytktampabaytk Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Eldritch runestones in a defensive slot grant the owner a percentage of the pets stats, is this for all active companions or just the summoned one?
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    focusman wrote: »
    in the new module you can send companions on quests, so maybe it helps them to succesfully finish it? (thats the reason why I gear them, with good blues and as said before purple items from seals)

No, gear and runestones has no effect on the Swordcoast Adventures minigame. Only thing that matters is level. As the companion levels up you get more and better bonus dice, up to 4 d12s at rank 30.
    tampabaytk wrote: »
    Eldritch runestones in a defensive slot grant the owner a percentage of the pets stats, is this for all active companions or just the summoned one?

Only the summoned one. Active companions only provide their active bonus.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Can't believe I forgot about this. I am really looking forward to the adventures addition.
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Something I noted in live, not sure about after the new release:

You can get your companion a level 60 item, and gain a big boost to stats if they share stats with you from it. For those with cat/ioun stone at low level, the lvl 60 item is a major increase in ability. For the non-stat bump companions, it'll help them out and you can also use the enchantment stones to add some of the stat to you as well.

I personally love the dire wolf I get from my guardian pack and use it often. A purple companion that can disrupt anything, even those normally immune to interrupt? It's a solid pet.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If they kept their gear equipped whilst inactive then I would bother to equip them but since they don't I never bother now , infact the only companion I have with gear and runestones now is my Cat lol.
  • Options
    slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    yeah they really need to come out and tell us why some stats dont seem to work for companions and which stats do.
  • Options
    stabbathstabbath Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    xelliz wrote: »
    If you use the companion, then it doesn't hurt to have gear since L 60 blues are pretty common. This will help them, but of course its not going to make a white companion awesome all the sudden.

I wouldn't spend anything more then seals on something purple, but if you're getting lots of lower rank jewels that don't sell well or at all, you could use those instead of salvage.

By jewels you mean runestones? You can salvage those?
  • Options
    stabbathstabbath Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    xelliz wrote: »
    Can't believe I forgot about this. I am really looking forward to the adventures addition.

When's it due out? the 5th?
  • Options
    rosicrucianistrosicrucianist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    stabbath wrote: »

Yep, the 5th...
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    By jewels you mean runestones? You can salvage those?

No, I mean minor purple quality jewelry. I think their stats are like +132 or something.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Actually no. Equipment and runes have no effect on pets on Sword Coast Adventures.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?518811-Official-Cryptic-Feedback-Thread-Sword-Coast-Adventures&p=6462661&viewfull=1#post6462661
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013

sword coast adventures will not be released on the 5th:
    panderus wrote: »
    Gateway

Sword Coast Adventures and the Diamond Exchange are disabled for now. We will be releasing them the following weeks after Shadowmantle launches.

not sure exactly when... depends on how many "weeks" we're talking about.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    sword coast adventures will not be released on the 5th:

not sure exactly when... depends on how many "weeks" we're talking about.
    why you make me cry?
  • Options
    alexgabriel23alexgabriel23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 276
    edited December 2013
    companions are pretty worthless ..... stone or cat is the best choice.... i like to collect all kinda weird companions i upgraded the man at arms to purple put some decent stuffs on him its actualy pretty good he can tank almost everything even some bosses in t1/t2 with help from DC circles and aoe heal tanked several times the GG t1 boss without dieng with the help of aoe heal but eh... they realy need a buff up or they better just remove them from game the only worth companions that are not augmenting their stats are the tank ones and prob just the man at arms he can hold aggro realy good idk for the galeb i saw it has a 2 min cd on taunt pretty stupid... and usesless
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A Cleric with eldritch runestones and a ton of Regen gear will get you back to full hit points between fights very quickly. Just summon them and then summon your combat pet after the cleric heals you and before re-entering combat. No need to gear them for anything but Regen since they won't ever see combat. Great way to save on potions.
  • Options
    valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tampabaytk wrote: »
    Is there any reason to gear up your companions?
    For a high cost/tons of effort to get the gear for them? No.

But if you don't mind a slight cost for the cheapie blue gear (100AD for a lot of them on the AH...super cheap), and/or you have the r5 or so enchants/runes to spare even, then why not? Doesn't make them superman, but doesn't hurt/helps their longevity a bit. Not their damage, really, but their longevity. A bit.
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    With three companion slots, I tend to keep one battle pet and one healer geared, as well as an augment. Not expensively geared, but give them defense/lifesteal/regen and their survivability increases immensely. They don't need epic equipment. Level 60 greens or blues with your desired stats will do them fine.

I don't know how Dread Ring will be, but in Sharandar, it's pretty rare for any of my companion to die, so it can be nice to have the help. The only thing that ever seems to take them down is spiders, or occasionally falling off a cliff.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Life steal and regeneration are supposed to be very effective on companions. I know hit points are. My rogue outfitted her common cleric with hit point runes and items and used her as a tank. Healing aggro plus (minus) the two threat reduction feats and after a couple of seconds of fighting everything was going after her. She might go down around the time the last mob fell, then immediately stand up and heal me for whatever my life steal hadn't gotten.

(Then I went and got a stone and need to respec my rogue and change her fighting style completely!)
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    pitshade wrote: »
    My rogue outfitted her common cleric with hit point runes and items and used her as a tank. Healing aggro plus (minus) the two threat reduction feats and after a couple of seconds of fighting everything was going after her.

Hah, this is what I do with my DPS'd GF, wait for my CD to get the aggro and then use CA + crit to destroy everything from behind. :D Though I do need 'babysit' her occasionally and take some of the heat of the poor girl sometimes, the fact that she is immortal is a BIG plus, she is a real trooper and never complains ;)
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png