test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Strongest class in PvP at the moment?

valeriob80valeriob80 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 155 Bounty Hunter
edited December 2013 in PvE Discussion
I don't do PvP, I just play PvE, but I'm curious: what's the strongest class in PvP at the moment?

Give your opinion, even if you think they're well balanced, just pick the one that for you is slightly better :-)
Post edited by valeriob80 on

Comments

• Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I voted GWF. But sentinel GWF, not destro or instigator.

TR would be 1b.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    gannicsgladiatorgannicsgladiator Member Posts: 413 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Although I agree GWF is the strongest, it is a class that is easily canceled.
    a strong sentinel can't kill a good cleric, a good gf, another gwf. therefore this class can be canceled on the battlefield pretty easily.
    GFs do well when you stack more than one, as well trs. i think tr is the strongest at moment in overall
    Dovahkiin Gannicus, GWF Sentinel- Enemy Team Guild
    Gannicus Destroyer, GWF Destroyer retired
    Kate Beckinsale NB DC, Link NB GF
    "There is only one way to be a champion..., Never ...ing lose"
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Looking at the votes it seems that classes are pretty balanced atm :-)
  • Options
    stalesmokestalesmoke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 126 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    The best at what aspect?

Gaining and holding points? Which is the main objective in the flavorless PvP we have had thrown at us. GWF

Killing people? TR

Can be nearly un-killable and support multiple team members? DC

Can turn the tide of battle from a distance and turn a hard match into a lulzfest? CW

Can get lucky and hold a point and punt a team around? GF

T1- GWF(exceptional gear/skill can make them basically un-killable lulz troll mode )
    T1- TR (exceptional gear/skill can make them godly killing machines with high survivability lulz troll mode)
    2- CW (exceptional gear/skill can bring them to a solid 1.5)
    3- DC (exceptional gear/skill can bring them to a solid 2)
    5- GF (exceptional gear/skill can bring them to a solid 2.5)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Why? I just wanted to know if all the classes was good and useful in pvp or there were some overpowered ones. I'm happy to see they seem decently balanced, in the end.
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    GWF and TR both I'd say are most suited for PvP. Survivability, pretty good at killing people, resetting fights, contesting points.

GF are close 2nd best when in the hands of a skilled player.

DCs and CWs are meh. They perform only when ultra geared (for PvP) and in the hands of a skilled player. Not recommended.
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    valeriob80 wrote: »
    Why? I just wanted to know if all the classes was good and useful in pvp or there were some overpowered ones. I'm happy to see they seem decently balanced, in the end.

Because polls like this one, can easily be manipulated and are entirely irellevant. You'll find better informations about the classes and what they are capable of, by reading the class forums. These types of polls do nothing but fuel the hate of the people against eachother, is that your goal? :-)

Take care.

• Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Because polls like this one, can easily be manipulated and are entirely irellevant.

Yup. I voted DC just for grins and giggles :D
  • Options
    smokeygbsmokeygb Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
    edited November 2013
    Anyone with ridiculously uber enchantments and enhancements.
  • Options
    stabbathstabbath Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Difficult to answer. Depends on gear, spec and skill of player which vary greatly at lvl 60. I went with GWF though, because the majority of time it's that class that is hardest to kill. I occasionally encounter clerics that seem impossible to take down even with 3 or 4 players on them. GFs are hard to kill too, but they are supposed to be that way. I get pissed when one nearly one shots me though. Not sure they should be able to do that AND have such great defense. Perma-stealth rogues can be a pain. CWs are the biggest pain before lvl 60 imo.
  • Options
    ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    TR- only class that will make good use of tenes in the future and the only one that are going to be immune to them (they can choose when to proc them and when to get hit by them)
  • Options
    yokihiroyokihiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 510 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    TR is strongest because he is totally broken in PVP. Give a class tons of unbalanced and one-sided abilities and it is no wonder that he walks away with 20 kills and 2 deaths through the match. And to every 10 year old TR player: No, this is not YOUR skill, this is your BROKEN class. Realize this please finally and thank you.
  • Options
    snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'd say TRs are the strongest overall with DC or CW being a close 2nd.

I say this because GWFs are only a pain when they are using the sentinel build where as TRs can be a pain with pretty much any build. Same goes for DCs ad CWs exept they have the added advantage or range attacks. But each poses its own killibility issue, DCs can be hard to can do to fast healing and CWs of course have control skills and can kite a good distance. GFs are only really a problem if they chain lock you but stay behind them and you'll be ok.

But again, it all depends on too many factors to really give a easy answer to. If you're talking perfect builds, then obviously GWF. If you're taking average builds, then its more complex. But every class has it's own weakness so it can come down to being how easy is it to exploit that weakness in your favor.
  • Options
    hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    In order for a player to be able to change the balance of the game (let's assume that we are talking about balanced matches), he should be:

a) Either tanky enough to help his/her team survive the onslaught by healing them or peeling for them (DC, GWF, GF)
    b) Be able to contest points alone or keep many people busy in order for the other team to send more people to fight (GWFs, TRs---since they are the only classes that can kill 2 people in 1v2)

So if you are PuGing, TR or GWF is the best (both have deflect/regen builds that are scary).

If you are running with premades vs premades or teams, then anyone can be amazing. The only bad thing about PvP is that if you are not specced for survivability, you'll have a hard time living through a focused attack. And that's probably the reason CWs aren't as high in my list of best PvP classes....however they are amazing if baby-sitted properly.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • Options
    facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited November 2013
    GF .......just cuz everyone cross his fingers when a GF is picking a target :D
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Depends on the spec, IMO. Each class can have a variety of builds, and their purpose varies from each build For contesting points, hands down, it has to be Sentinel GWF's. And they'll be growing stronger once module 2 hits with added tankiness from Iron Vanguard and their new AoE prone. Threatening Rush will also make them harder to kite. Not to mention they will also gain access to Ferocious Reaction + its associated feats. GWF's can hold nodes for more than the amount of time of Ferocious Reaction's time limit. GF's are the best at punting things out of nodes to make sure they gain points from it. It's really hard to 1 vs. 1 with a GF if you can't withstand the pummels from their CC. They deal immense damage to boot, for a tank class.

For swift kills, it's Burst TR's for sure. Though the play style can be linear and very gear dependent. But it's very effective nonetheless. Next, DCs are always a solid asset for any team, specially when you pair them up with the tank classes to hold points. They increase the efficiency of tanks in the node. CW's on the other hand are sort of like the siege weapons of the game and provide offensive support from afar. They have the luxury of utilizing their surroundings to their advantage and majority of their skills sort of promote this behavior thanks to their 80' range.

That's a lot, right? That being said, in my opinion there's no real top class for PVP. The beauty of PVP in my opinion is the construction of teams and the teamwork that comes with it. I'm a big fan of watching Rainbow Premades. Since I'm no PVP-er, the best enjoyment I can get out of PVP other than doing my dailies is to watch others duke it out with other top notch people. You get to learn a lot just by watching streams and recorded vids.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The votes are really funny. I wish to know who voted for CW and why the hell did they do it lol.

Also GFs have so very few votes, when they can be true engines of destruction on the right hands, and have huge survivability as well.

So I think some people probably never met good GFs or they got 1 shot by some Icy Rays/Ice Knife crit and now think that "OMG, CWs are so good in PvP"... while the truth is that they're actually every skilled player's victims.
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hzran and Facecontrol, really they are only 2 that made me wanna ragequit (but I didn't), stun prone stun prone fly across map prone die. Few others Ive played with are exceptional, same with CW. TRs and Sent GWFs just seem so plentiful, could be just a lot of TRs in general.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    llantissllantiss Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    1. GWF
    2. TR
    3. GF/CW

I would put GF as #1 but his major downside is that he has no escape options, its a kill or be killed class, everything else he pretty much dominates.
    GWF has impressive CC, consistent dmg, amazing defense, amazing escape/kite options.
    TR has lesser CC, amazing burst dmg, decent defense, amazing escape/kite options.

If you only consider toe to toe dmg CW would be up there, but this is domination and the toolset the GWF brings is too much.

If we actually had a community tier list I'd have it something like this:

GWF
    TR
    CW
    GF
    DC

GWF
    x

TR
    x

CW
    x

GF
    x

DC
    x

This game surprisingly with all its flaws is pretty balanced, alot of classes cancel each other very well and even most people say its very balanced untill you hit level 60, I feel if we had a competitive scene develop early on, everyone would catch up on how to gear properly and build their chars it would have been much more balanced in the beginning, non the less doesn't matter if you meet a good player or a bad one, it doesn't cancel the fact that a class has tools to deal with other classes.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    llantiss wrote: »

GWF
    TR
    CW
    GF
    DC

GWF
    x

TR
    x

CW
    x

GF
    x

DC
    x

Looks quite accurate from my perspective :)
  • Options
    facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited November 2013
    Maybe this bracket is correct for Module 2 which i also think GWF will be superior to all,but at the moment i think GF can cancel all classes with exception of TR which pretty much kill GF's on a 1:5 ratio.

Lets not forget that this is a Team Based Game and we cant speak about 1 v 1 simple because the game doesn't support such option.In order for 2 players do compete u must gather 8 other players, just to get in the map.Which in the 'near-death' state of the game ,is hard at times to arrange
    If we had dual or 1 v 1 mode i am sure a lot of different builds and ways of playing would merge.
  • Options
    godlysoul1godlysoul1 Member Posts: 293 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Bottom line, Immunity/Stealth rogue build > all
  • Options
    slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I think the public knows the truth.

GWF is hands down op, when sent build. For a simple reason: how dummy proof it is: on other class if like cw or gf, if u make a mistake, position yourself wrong, or get cc, u instantly pop. GWF? Natural insane high deflect + unstoppable= catch me nerds!

No offense, but real man don't play sent gwf, u can have one as toon, but if u main one u either only play 5v5 premade or u just not man enough
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited November 2013

GWF is hands down op, when sent build. For a simple reason: how dummy proof it is: on other class if like cw or gf, if u make a mistake, position yourself wrong, or get cc, u instantly pop. GWF? Natural insane high deflect + unstoppable= catch me nerds!

No offense, but real man don't play sent gwf, u can have one as toon, but if u main one u either only play 5v5 premade or u just not man enough

No offense but this totally so wrong.

- Unstoppable activates only when you take damage. Which means that against high spike damage like TRs, it's a weak skill

- GWFs have no way to avoid damage. No ITC 5 seconds immunity, no teleport-dodge immune, no shield block. They eat exactly all the damage you throw at them, THEN they can pop unstoppable.

- Sentinel GWF does not mean sentinel regeneration tank with monster HP. I have a hybrid build, for example. But players are so newb that if they see a GWF in PvP, then it has to be a sentinel tank. Yeah, sure.

- GWF encounters are slow and easy to dodge with the above mentioned dodge-teleport immunity moves. A tank DC can place himself inside his AS and a sentinel tank is not going to kill him. There are plenty of videos showing this.

- Every class can stack regeneration and go tanky in PvP. A regeneration tanky TR can have even more survivability than a sentinel tank, if you play it well.

Sentinel regen-tank node holder sure is not the toon that requires more skills if we talk about defense: regeneration, high HP and unstoppable do all the work passively. But you usually also fight against multiple opponents, since you're a tank. And at high levels, even 2 well geared enemies can burn a sentinel tank down, if he just stand there doing nothing. To survive more, you've to make good use of your cc encounters and rotations, and you've to select your target well among the 2-3-4-5 enemies that attack you.

As a sentinel tank, or even a hybrid, you usually are expected to cap the enemy node. Which means, you'll have (talking about pugs) usually at least 2 enemies coming back to take back the node (in premades i suppose they just send back a GF/ perma stealth TR or DC). You're fighting at least 1v2, 90% of the time.
    When facing multiple enemies, you've to target the one with the highest burst damage, or the more squishy one, or the one that seems to be less skilled at dodging. Taking down one of your opponents fast is key to me. Also, you've to use sprint bursts to, for example, dodge other GWF prone encounters or GF charges. Moving is also essential to make it a bit more difficult for TRs to land their encounters. If you just stand there and eat damage, you eventually die.

GWF is powerful in PvP. But OP? No.

Some TRs can go from ITC--->dodge roll immunity getting away---> stealth--->rol lagain to take distance--->throw daggers---> rush in and go ITC--->dodge roll immunity getting away--->repeat. And i guarantee you that if they are good, they're way more painful than a sentinel tank.

Some CWs can burn you down incredibly fast while ccing you, keeping you at a distance and when you reach them they're very skilled at using their 3 dodge immunity moves.

Some tank DCs are unkillable unless you face them with multiple enemies or good glass cannon CWs/TRs.

Some GFs just chain prone you to Death with no chance to reply, defend or run away.

Every class is OP if played and build well.
  • Options
    ilovedotailovedota Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What we are talking about is that in order to succed as a gwf one requires significantly less skill/gear compared to the other classes.
  • Options
    hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Unfortunately, if you go GWF in any other way than Sent Regen build you are like a glass cannon with 5 seconds of immunity. During which you may be lucky and take someone with you. So, I hate to say that if you are planning to PvP a lot with GWF then going Sent Regen is the only way to keep your interest high.

If people can't understand that they are facing a tank class built to resist and to kill in the long run, then too bad for them.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Of course, because a GWF is a tank. A CW is a squisher and a GF doesn't die as easily as you made it sound, in fact it is the exact opposite. No offence, but men is plural and man is singular.

Take care.

• Options
    arontimesarontimes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    One of my GWFs is an Instigator, basically a hybrid PvE/PvP build. Either way, he is most effective in group battles, where he can grant combat advantage to the entire party. He is also very mobile, thanks to Mighty Leap. I also switch out his PvP load out every now and then. Before, it was Mighty Leap, Not So Fast, and Takedown, and currently, I'm experimenting with Takedown, Flourish, and Indomitable Battle Strike. The former makes me very good in team fights, while the latter makes me a better solo combatant.

My other GWF is a Sentinel with full Titan armor. He's very tanky, but he doesn't deal as much DPS as my other GWF. He's also much worse at PvE than the other one.
    Member of Grievance.

Taking a break from Neverwinter indefinitely...