test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Reclamation-Slay the Scalefather - Tips?

2»

Comments

• tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    Get your gear upgraded to current level.
    Get some lifesteal to mitigate damage via receiving health on damage.
    Stay out of the red. Practice, practice, practice.

Once you truly learn the interactive combat style all (and I do mean all) solo quests/bosses become easy.

Just in case I didn't mention it. Run some lifesteal for soloing.

Did I mention lifesteal?
  • ulaven1967ulaven1967 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    bcolflesh wrote: »
    My Guardian Fighter, level 44 w/a level 15 Cleric is overwhelmed by the Scalefather immediately - even after an altar session, and taking every available potion - I've cleared out most of the next area quests to get to level 44, but I must be missing some simple strategy here...

I've beaten the Scalefather with every class solo with a companion.
    GF + Cleric
    GWF + Cleric
    CW + Man at Arms
    TR + Cleric
    DC + Man at Arms

You will have to use potions, dodge red stuff, and resurrect your companion a few times. But it's completely doable with every class solo and common companion. As others have pointed out, kill adds ASAP, they will rip you to shreds if you try to ignore them.
  • warzogwarzog Member Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    ulaven1967 wrote: »
    GF + Cleric
    GWF + Cleric
    CW + Man at Arms
    TR + Cleric
    DC + Man at Arms

You will have to use potions, dodge red stuff, and resurrect your companion a few times. But it's completely doable with every class solo and common companion. As others have pointed out, kill adds ASAP, they will rip you to shreds if you try to ignore them.

In every game I've ever played, there's always someone who defends an overpowered quest.

Be that as it may...
    I've tried dodging, running around, spent all of my A.D. upgrading gear three times (to blue quality), bought every potion, leveled past the quest level of 42, tried every skill combo I have, leveled my cleric companion to level 25, and I still can't finish it.
    Since I can't progress my character's story, or that of any character I create, because of this quest...
    I see no reason to bother playing this game any more.

A shame, really...
    I was really enjoying the game until this quest.

Take care, and good gaming.
    Go for the eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES!!!
    (Where's a Miniature Giant Space Hamster when you need one?)
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    warzog wrote: »
    In every game I've ever played, there's always someone who defends an overpowered quest.

Be that as it may...
    I've tried dodging, running around, spent all of my A.D. upgrading gear three times (to blue quality), bought every potion, leveled past the quest level of 42, tried every skill combo I have, leveled my cleric companion to level 25, and I still can't finish it.
    Since I can't progress my character's story, or that of any character I create, because of this quest...
    I see no reason to bother playing this game any more.

A shame, really...
    I was really enjoying the game until this quest.

Take care, and good gaming.

And in all that spent effort it never occurred to you to try to team up? This dungeon is hardly the hardest one in the game. But like most dungeons here, its difficulty really depends on what class you are playing at the time. Some that were murderous on my CW, where cake on another character.

That said, yes this quest is hard. It is a stumbling block for many. I consider it a yard stick mission. A sort of, you must be this tall to ride this ride kinda thing. It really brings home the concepts of add management, target priority, and staying mobile and out of the red. This is less about player skill and more about understanding game mechanics and fundamentals. Knowledge that is all but required later in the game, especially if you even intend to group and run epics.

But even with all that. There is no reason at all to beat your head against a wall here solo. Group up and beat it, no one is required to solo. This is a social game after all.
  • tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I am surprised that people have serious problems with this fight. It is a bit tougher than other quests, but neither I, nor anyone in my guild, has had this level of difficulty with it.
    edited September 2013
    ulaven1967 wrote: »
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    And in all that spent effort it never occurred to you to try to team up? This dungeon is hardly the hardest one in the game. But like most dungeons here, its difficulty really depends on what class you are playing at the time. Some that were murderous on my CW, where cake on another character.

That said, yes this quest is hard. It is a stumbling block for many. I consider it a yard stick mission. A sort of, you must be this tall to ride this ride kinda thing. It really brings home the concepts of add management, target priority, and staying mobile and out of the red. This is less about player skill and more about understanding game mechanics and fundamentals. Knowledge that is all but required later in the game, especially if you even intend to group and run epics.

But even with all that. There is no reason at all to beat your head against a wall here solo. Group up and beat it, no one is required to solo. This is a social game after all.
    tickdoff wrote: »
    I am surprised that people have serious problems with this fight. It is a bit tougher than other quests, but neither I, nor anyone in my guild, has had this level of difficulty with it.

I repeat:
    warzog wrote: »

I might add: There's always someone who suggests that you should Group up to do an overpowered quest.

I attempted to get a group, asked for suggestions, watched individuals and groups go into and leave the quest, and no one, let me repeat; NO ONE would even answer me. In fact, the zone chat was completely dead for the hour I tried to get help,

None of that really matters, THIS IS A GAME! If players want a challenge, or want to play in a group, or something this hard, they play PvP. Those who simply want to relax, having fun playing a game, don't need this kind of a quest.
  • metaplexusmetaplexus Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    o.O

Did it with a DC and CW with no problems at all. I think it was nerfed at some point and was literally a no-brainer for my cleric (don't remember the exact level, but probably +-1 the quest level.

Avoid red circles, when not doing that, deal damage. That's it. Not meaning to bash anyone for his/her playstyle but I think you must have either below 5 fps or over 400 latency to fail it.

Take the wolf boss (don't remember the name) at Icespire Peak and we'd need to group up...
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Yea the Rime wolf can be pretty bad. He can hit really hard, one of the few bosses you cant ignore, while you mop up adds. And having adds that have their own AoE and knockdown attacks does little to help.

In my book however are the worst ones are the bloody Delzoun dwarf bosses youll find on some of the racial/class quests. The ones that start off mounted. They hit hard in melee, have a strong rapid ranged attack, spawn a swarm of adds, adds that also each have their own melee and ranged attacks. Staying mobile and dodging just ends up turning you into a pin cushion. You just need to go full on aggressive and kill them before they murder you.
    edited September 2013
    Finally finished this quest.
    It took me 15 minutes of hitting, take potions, hitting, running until I could take enough potions to hit again, and constantly repeating.
    This time I only died one time, tried two different companions (both died in the first few seconds and I never had a chance to revive them.)
    I DID have new gear, with high Power, Crit, Defense, and Deflection. (I ignored everything else.)
  • thelordhatredthelordhatred Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Maybe you guys are just bad. I've only had issues with one boss on 2 toons and that was the ice wolf boss. I have a tip for living through these encounters..... it's called dodging and kiting.... there's a reason you don't stand in red stuff.
    Quit begging, then I might help. Don't be afraid to work hard and you'll get what you want :D
  • ferrousdogferrousdog Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Tried this 3 times this morning with my tank DC and using a level 22 Honey Badger (twice) and a level 20 companion, both stacked with power and defense items and all buff potions drunk. The DC is level 50. Got the boss down to 2 bars and died all three times. Hit the boss and adds with my daily and divinity right off the bat and chugged potions as soon as my health dropped by 1/3. Used the run and gun approach and still got hammered at every turn. Massively frustrating.

Tried this with my tank CW solo 6 times with various companions. Died all 6 times. Didn't even bother trying this solo with my TR. The Hubby encountered this boss first with his TR and after 7 tries, asked me to come help him. He returned the favour when it was my turn at the boss after I was frustrated enough to scream after the constant deaths and asked for his help.

Both the Hubby and I prefer solo play. We have no interest in joining guilds, running dungeons with random people or doing the PvP stuff. The only time we really team up is with each other for hard bosses that we just can't beat solo. I understand about making the game play challenging but this boss (and the Rimewolf on Ice Spire Peak) is insanity for those of us who want to play solo. It almost forces you to group just to get past this, which I really don't appreciate. I play the game to have fun. It is NOT fun to consistently die over and over again, especially when your character is 8 levels above the boss and he still turns you into a stain on the ground with little effort. Kudos to the people who beat this guy on their own.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Soloing it with the CW, what I've found works is to kill the first adds as soon as they spawn, then return to the boss. When the second (final?) wave of adds hit, I used either Oppressive Force to stun or Singularity them and DPS'd the boss. The first character I tried soloing it with was my GWF and had to get help. I was stuck in a KILL THE BOSS mode then though. Focusing on the adds is the key to the higher level bosses, especially once you get to the ones that have Elite adds. (Scalefather used to have them but they got replaced with normal stuff!)

I never tried soloing anything with my cleric as she was created to level up with some of my guildmates.

Rime Hound is just obnoxious. I went through it recently with my epic geared TR. Thought I'd outleveled the map when I tried grinding for levels to make the dungeons easier. Finally someone pointed out how I could finish the quests. Anyway, the Rime Hound gave me far more trouble than any of the solo LEVEL 60 bosses in Sharandar.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8SZRAUMfBU

Seemed ok. Level 28-32 gear at L46 so slightly overlevel but with lowbie gear. No pots.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tang56 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8SZRAUMfBU

Seemed ok. Level 28-32 gear at L46 so slightly overlevel but with lowbie gear. No pots.

thanks for the video. I wasn't sure what people were talking about. I beleive the reason I didn't have trouble with this was that I didn't find out about it until I was level 60 (CW). I had no clue about the difficulty, but a friend and I were running around for achievements and took him done. Granted, she was also a 60 CW. heh.
    contents to be decided
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hit the Rime Hound today as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stlTY52htr4

Level 50 with ~level 44-46 gear.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Don't you love it when you run out of the red and still get hit?

I've soloed the Rime Hound with a wizard. It's a lot easier because that no range AOE doesn't stop you from attacking as long. Also, it's easy to pull the boss into the hallway where some of the adds won't notice you.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    edited November 2013
    pitshade wrote: »
    Don't you love it when you run out of the red and still get hit?

I've soloed the Rime Hound with a wizard. It's a lot easier because that no range AOE doesn't stop you from attacking as long. Also, it's easy to pull the boss into the hallway where some of the adds won't notice you.

Yeah, it was definitely hardest on GWF and TR.
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've soloed all this type of content, all solo instances on my CW, my first NWO char, and I was extremely inexperienced. I rarely died (died a few times to some chests guarded by some undead encounter, dunno about other occasions) and I only had greens on me up to level 60. Hardly anything I done was close to optimal, and I still managed to solo these things comfortably.

So... what can I say.