test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Spam - And no, not the good kind...

2»

Comments

• Options
    krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Give us the ability to ignore any post in chat window based on a simple text pattern...and let us save like 20...

Something like

/ignore "*PATTERN_TO_IGNORE*"

with our own lists of pattern to NOT DISPLAY...

These bots are mocking you by switching username@handle between every single post... yet the message remains the SAME....One has been spamming all chat rooms for an hour, posting every 20s with a different username, useless to report spam... the message is ALWAYS:
    "...the lowest price in the world.And the Obama buy the AD from our website, so what are you waiting for?...~Good~News: [stupid website changed to not advertize] ~1M~usd11.99~Only!~>>>|

/ignore "*the lowest price*"

and HOP... it is gone...

How long are you gonna let make fun of you? Who care about banning them... let us clean up the mess if you can't...

Thank you.
  • Options
    ofkathriaofkathria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    You do realize you just gave the spammers free advertising, right?
  • Options
    krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I changed it... but anyone playing can see it in all their chat window tabs every 20s anyway...

BTW, go there, get your account hacked and you will have deserved it...
  • Options
    ofkathriaofkathria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Personally, I almost never see it. I have my global channels turned off, as to me the endless chatter itself comes across as so much spam.

Not that I disagree with the idea; it would be a useful feature to have. Though without knowing exactly how the chat system is coded, I would hesitate to assume it would be a "simple" fix to implement.
  • Options
    ralexinorralexinor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    That's not simple to code at all.
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Useless. You will be constantly playing catch up and it would be extremely inefficient because every single person would be using their own set of rules to ignore the same thing. That's a database duplication in the millions.

The way other MMOs solve gold spam is by having starter areas completely separate from town/city areas. Then the questing goes through some kind of gating experience in order to get to other zones. This combined with account banning for any Report Spam in a short duration from many players (combined with recorded volume of chat, ofc) limits the impact of gold spammers dramatically with at most a few hanging around in starter areas.

Some games even manage to eliminate the spam in starter areas, but I still have no idea how they do that.
  • Options
    serengettiserengetti Member Posts: 77
    edited November 2013
    ralexinor wrote: »
    That's not simple to code at all.

It's just as simple as censoring profanity.
    Don't be so ignorant.
  • Options
    srazysrazy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Its been said many times before, implement a captcha system, but it seem PWE doenst mind the gold spam at all. I already put this game along riderz.
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    srazy wrote: »
    Its been said many times before, implement a captcha system, but it seem PWE doenst mind the gold spam at all. I already put this game along riderz.

Name one mainstream MMO that uses CAPTCHAs or any similar system for chat or otherwise. Just one. Yeah, didn't think so...

There are highly effective existing solutions for gold spam. It is just NW does not seem to employ them.
  • Options
    frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Something that could help is to make sure that people cant repeat the same message more than once within a minute or something. Bots may still find ways round it but at least it'll lower the people that spam their own stuff like lfg triple+ posters.
  • Options
    srazysrazy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    fondlez wrote: »
    Name one mainstream MMO that uses CAPTCHAs or any similar system for chat or otherwise. Just one. Yeah, didn't think so...

There are highly effective existing solutions for gold spam. It is just NW does not seem to employ them.

They dont need captcha because they already have an effective bot spamming system in place as for games, u can take turbine games, NCsoft games, etc.

Am pretty sure PWE let bot spam so they can say in they quarterly reports, we have enough accounts made to hold hands all the way to uranus.
  • Options
    uberwolfeuberwolfe Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The spam is worse than it EVER was and NOTHING ever gets done.

The only way to minimise the spam is to close down the Zone channel and further destroy whatever small bit of this game makes it an 'MMO'.
  • Options
    lunaeclipse173lunaeclipse173 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just to mention the removing zone no longer works, the spammers now spam LFG and Trade chat as well as zone.
  • Options
    terhikkiterhikki Member Posts: 72
    edited November 2013
    Ahh increasing time that you can speak at same channel (excluding guild, team, similar) would be great. Would help that amazing spam on PE around the time of DD.
  • Options
    uberwolfeuberwolfe Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just to mention the removing zone no longer works, the spammers now spam LFG and Trade chat as well as zone.

Yep so like I said, minimise.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2013
    . . . . . Shutting this down now for there's no need to spam these forums with the same retorts and complaints either. Continue reporting them and file GM tickets directly if you feel like it.
    sominator wrote: »
    Hey team,

We're aware of the spam issue, and Customer Support are doing their very best to combat spam as it arises. Ideally, we'd like to have an even better (and more preemptive) anti-spam system that what's already in place, but that will take some time to develop.

Thanks for your concern and suggestions, though, and especially for your patience with this! We're doing our best to keep the game spam-free! :)
This discussion has been closed.