test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

State of the Game?

reflex2468reflex2468 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi Everyone,

I quit Neverwinter shortly after the cat bug existed, and the roll-back happened, which is probably quite some time ago now. I have a cap level Rogue. Is it worth downloading this game and giving it another shot? What's the state of the game like at the moment and what are Rogues like? Any significant changes?
Post edited by reflex2468 on

Comments

• nehemiah217nehemiah217 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    It depends on what you want out of the game. Honestly, if it wasn't for the Foundry, I wouldn't play. The gameplay is monotonous and the content is unimaginative. Add numerous class nerfs every patch, a ridiculous difficulty curve making the same rewards nigh unreachable at higher levels, and just enough promises to keep players holding on on top of that.

It's really a decision that you will have to make for yourself, and really depends on what *you* personally want out of this game.
  • kalizaarkalizaar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    How much would it cost you to download it and play? If the answer is "nothing" then I don't see how it wouldn't be worth it to at least check out.

However, based on the wording of your post, if I were you I'd wait until the new expansion comes out that they just announced the contents of. New Hunter Ranger class, new paragon paths, new type of item (artifacts), collection system that rewards, and another new campaign (there was already the Feywild campaign released that you haven't experienced yet).

So maybe wait for that to come out before you give it another go. At least that would be my suggestion for the type of person that leaves a free game because of some bugs and then asks later on if it's worth it to come back. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not judging, there are many types of gamers out there. Some are more forgiving than others or find joy easier in things than others. *shrug*

Now if you're the type of gamer that has a tendency to enjoy everything to some extent and maybe you really liked the game and had fun but the rollback just really hit a nerve for one reason or another then I'd say definitely come back and give it a shot. Lots of bug fixes and balancing (the positive explanation compared to the "class nerfs every patch" one), new and fun things added to the shop, new campaign to go through, etc. And then on top of that a huge new update coming soon with a new class and paragon paths!! :)

So depending on what type of gamer you are (you could be either of them or a mix for all I know!) those are my suggestions.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The cat was the last game-breaking bug. No more rollbacks since. Much added content. Endgame is about the same (fight a billionty mobs and a boss all at once, every fight is the same).

The 'new' sharandar area is a grind -- you do a few quests daily until you earn enough tokens. After a while you get "boons" which are like having another piece or 2 of gear, for example the first one you can pick to have 250 power or 250 (defense? I forget) added to your stats for doing the grind, and so on. All of them combined add up to a fair amount of character power.

The drow race and some other elf race are free to play now.

Gear drops bind now, so you can't just spend $$$ to get diamonds to buy top gear without actually playing anymore.

A new content patch is in the works to add the ranger class and more to do.

Crafting has added several things, alchemy and weaponcrafting (2 professions, one for magical one for melee roughly).
  • grungebrmpkgrungebrmpk Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    It depends on what you want out of the game. Honestly, if it wasn't for the Foundry, I wouldn't play. The gameplay is monotonous and the content is unimaginative. Add numerous class nerfs every patch, a ridiculous difficulty curve making the same rewards nigh unreachable at higher levels, and just enough promises to keep players holding on on top of that.

It's really a decision that you will have to make for yourself, and really depends on what *you* personally want out of this game.

Man, do you play other mmo's?
    Neverwinter is by far the most easy mmo ever. And the gameplay is anything but monotonous. Action style is not monotonous, its so better then wow style.

Maybe you are used to fps games, like battlefield? Then I can understand your points.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think by monotonous he means the bosses, that require no strategy other than killing the endless adds, but I might be wrong.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • grungebrmpkgrungebrmpk Member, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Hm understand, but there are some bosses that you don't need to kill the adds, like Idris, if you just focus the boss and kite the adds it's easier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    reflex2468 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I quit Neverwinter shortly after the cat bug existed, and the roll-back happened, which is probably quite some time ago now. I have a cap level Rogue. Is it worth downloading this game and giving it another shot? What's the state of the game like at the moment and what are Rogues like? Any significant changes?

I have been roaming around the forum for awhile. Neverwinter is still installed on my computer i havnt logged into it for about month now. After cat bug. The next major flaw was the Nightmare bug. For that exploit since people paid real money to buy keys for the lockboxes they only called those people lucky and didnt do anything about it. Exploit was in test server it was reported if you opened lockboxes you got a way higher chance to get the nightmare epic mount. So when the patch went live a bunch of people got a bunch of mounts. And they were called "lucky" from the devs, nothing was done about it. There is still no end game for this game. YOu still lvl way to fast.

I will check the game out again after the next mod 2 is out. Do i expect it to be better probly not.

I have spent more money in Swtor then on this game, but i was glad to stuff i got was worth it. I cant wait for the space pvp to start up :D Freaken space PVP 12v12
  • pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    noroblad wrote: »
    Gear drops bind now, so you can't just spend $$$ to get diamonds to buy top gear without actually playing anymore.

Say what :)
    edited October 2013
    drbaals wrote: »
    There is still no end game for this game. YOu still lvl way to fast.

Have to disagree here, it's not right to say the game have no endgame. For me as a casual player, the current endgame last at least for almost an year! So if you have that much time to play, the game could have no endgame FOR YOU, but don't give you the right to say the game has no endgame.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    this is an "am i quitting? am i not quitting?" thread and should be closed.

further more, it is in my opinion that these kinds of threads should be disallowed. if you are truly looking for game changes and information, it all exists in the patch notes thread. if you're still looking for opinions, those are also abundant in the forums. if you don't want to do the research or can't make your own realistic decisions about what you're looking for in a game vs what this game has to offer... no one knows you better than you.
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 387 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    And the gameplay is anything but monotonous. Action style is not monotonous, its so better then wow style.
    That's so absolutely a matter of opinion. In wow, you have dozens and dozens of interesting abilities to be used in various situations. In Neverwinter, you get like what? 5 buttons to blow up the dragon? WOOHOO! And healing teammates? Sorry little guy, but that BIG ****** was in the way, so he got the protective spell instead.

I've found this game's style to be incredibly monotonous as well, which is why I've pretty much stopped (I did come back for the halloween event, but given how bad it is, I'm not sticking around for it, either). Use 3-4 cooldown buttons as they become available, press limit break button when the orange gem fills up, otherwise spam at will powers. Slide out of deadly stuff. Chug potions when health is low. That's all it is. The whole "action MMO" thing is just a big gimmick.
  • reflex2468reflex2468 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thanks for the responses guys. All a big help. Except for
    This guy needs to get outside a bit. Ever consider I don't have the time to trawl through pages of patch notes?

Thanks again guys. I'll give it another shot. Might level a CM from scratch to make the most of the game changes
  • synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »

further more, it is in my opinion that these kinds of threads should be disallowed. if you are truly looking for game changes and information, it all exists in the patch notes thread. if you're still looking for opinions, those are also abundant in the forums. if you don't want to do the research or can't make your own realistic decisions about what you're looking for in a game vs what this game has to offer... no one knows you better than you.

Comedy Gold as always...

SMH

Anyways, to the OP, you're not the only one tempted to hop on and try things out. I may do it as well but, like previously mentioned, I'm waiting until the new class is out of the oven. It's F2P so you lose nothing but a little bit of DL/Update time. Despite still having reservations, it looks like they're pushing some noticeable improvements through. :)
    edited October 2013
    @aesica
    Exactly. I'm a Diablo player, and love games that you don't have tons of hotbars to use with millions of skills that make all the same thing with different skins, like wow.

I loved the mechanics here in NW, who said you need billions of buttons to a game be fun? Nah...
    NW made it better then GW2 for me... Wow is a joke for kids.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • muhacmuhac Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Have to disagree here, it's not right to say the game have no endgame. For me as a casual player, the current endgame last at least for almost an year! So if you have that much time to play, the game could have no endgame FOR YOU, but don't give you the right to say the game has no endgame.

Same here i have a char lvl58 playing for like a month and half now have been into 2 instances and havent even seen Sharandar xD so for me its not "fast" since i dont play more then 4 hours/day, and ofc i enjoy every minute spent ingame...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I frigging detest is it worth it threads...every other forum I'm on it's considered trolling and is actionable I don't get why they are allowed here.

Download the game and make up your own mind
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »

Well tough the poster never said they were quiting. They wanted to know if reloading the game and trying it out was a waist of time or not. If the mods started to remove every single thread you didnt like because it was slightly negative in some way you would hear crickets in the background on this forum. Even at this point there is mostly only one page of current daily posts on this forum.

And for OP i would wait for the next Mod 2 update check it out then. As for TR they still suck for pugs 1-2 hours to get into dungeons is freakin slow. And they got nerfed. But the new mod update they are giving option for diff paragon paths. As for pugs que times i dont get it. I play Swtor right now and seriously i get like 1sec - 2min max to find a group. Why is it so fast on that game and i am playing DPS not tank or heals

Ok i bit the bullet and checked out the ranger class on preview server. Oh its perfect dont change a thing. LOL they been working on this character for how long now? I went thru the first lvl 4 and first dungeon in the main city without ever getting hit once. LOL Its way to over powered. I did like the cone attack idea shrinks cone for more damage longer you hold it. Kodos for that attack mechanic