test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CW nerf? "Shield may only hit up to 5 targets at a time."

krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2013 in The Library
I think this is a change that was badly thought through. I bet the end result will be an increase in CWs in party at the detriment of GF/GWF who already have a hard time getting in "some" dungeon where their role is becoming obsolete (especially GWF)

It'd be interesting to see how many parties form with 3xCWs now... poor decision again./
Post edited by krisst0f on

Comments

• Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Heh, eventually there will be no more space for yet another CW to make up for the perceived lack of GF/GWF.

The thing is, you can't have an improvement in the perception of the utility of GF and GWF if the classes perceived to make them useless stay as they are. People will simply maintain their perception if no change is made. This particular change may well not be the best way to go about changing those perceptions. We shall see, if it is implemented.

What is your specific suggestion for a better decision?

Edit:
    Ahhh, I see it will be implemented in today's patch. So much for if.
  • Options
    krisst0fkrisst0f Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    What is your specific suggestion for a better decision?

Well, I can speak for GF... Any place where adds need to be agro'd, a GF is mandatory, like SP final boss... So making sure every map has at least one boss like this (without the ability to bypass it of course...^|^) would make a GF required for a party. (CN doesn't need any GF atm, and that's a bummer cause this is the only place you can get BoE loot that's worth anything...)

It is harder to justify GWF in the first place and I hope for their sake that this can be worked out, because right now, GWFs are kinda of useless...
  • Options
    yourtormentyourtorment Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    There are fights where the ability to bubblepop things off the side are kinda required. and a GWF would be useless in the fight anyway.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I personally don't understand why there isn't more love for the GF. As a CW myself with sub-BiS gear, I love that GFs will help me keep the adds aggroed away from me while I am rounding them all up. In a dungeon, I would much rather have a GF assist me with adds instead of another CW, because with another CW, I'm gonna get half the aggro (and all of the concomitant spell interruptions/dodging/ancillary damage), while with a GF, I'm not going to get very much aggro at all. I cannot imagine, for instance, trying to defeat the final boss of Frozen Heart, or the second boss of Karrundax, without a tank. (Trying to defeat them legit, of course.)

GWF, sadly, I can see why they aren't routinely brought to dungeons, since it seems to me that they are "second-best" at lots of things, but not really superior at one single thing. (But I'm not a GWF so please educate me if I'm wrong.)
  • Options
    banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    krisst0f wrote: »
    Well, I can speak for GF... Any place where adds need to be agro'd, a GF is mandatory, like SP final boss... So making sure every map has at least one boss like this (without the ability to bypass it of course...^|^) would make a GF required for a party.

It is harder to justify GWF in the first place and I hope for their sake that this can be worked out, because right now, GWFs are kinda of useless...

nope its not required, 2cw tr and gwf can easily do it, same with fh

but it finally starts fixing the stupid mob pushing

• Options
    edited October 2013
    pointsman wrote: »
    GWF, sadly, I can see why they aren't routinely brought to dungeons, since it seems to me that they are "second-best" at lots of things, but not really superior at one single thing. (But I'm not a GWF so please educate me if I'm wrong.)

GF also have an inate ability to debuff all adds "clumped" together in a few clicks, which make them more vulnerable to be killed quickly...
    I'd love to hear GWFs' view on their evolving role... as to educate me as well... thx

Maybe in module 2 with the new paragon paths that can be shared across GF/GWFs, this will allow GWF to agro better as well... dunno...
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    banaanc wrote: »

Do you have a tanky GWF act as the kiter? How exactly does this work?

I did it with a 2 CW 1 TR 1 GF 1 DC team, and the final boss fight was slow. I would have gladly traded one CW for another TR, or GWF.

Edit: I'm referring to the final boss fight at Frozen Heart.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

Mob pushing still require timing and skill and singularity is a daily, so it is not on all the time... GF can block and build AP faster than anything, which a GWF can't do. I doubt a GWF can survive long with intermittent astral shield while agroing 20+ adds like a GF would do fine. And I am NOT talking about running around only here...
  • Options
    edited October 2013

I did it with a 2 CW 1 TR 1 GF 1 DC team, and the final boss fight was slow. I would have gladly traded one CW for another TR, or GWF.

FH last boss is a joke for a GF, I stand in place, stunning all adds while everyone else tank the boss... so that's the wrong example. You don't even need a DC for that FH fight. SP last boss is more representative of the issue here...
  • Options
    j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I personally don't understand why there isn't more love for the GF. As a CW myself with sub-BiS gear, I love that GFs will help me keep the adds aggroed away from me while I am rounding them all up. In a dungeon, I would much rather have a GF assist me with adds instead of another CW, because with another CW, I'm gonna get half the aggro (and all of the concomitant spell interruptions/dodging/ancillary damage), while with a GF, I'm not going to get very much aggro at all. I cannot imagine, for instance, trying to defeat the final boss of Frozen Heart, or the second boss of Karrundax, without a tank. (Trying to defeat them legit, of course.)

A GF is nice for undergeared groups, that's true. But once you have your stuff together, you wanna run with an additional CW as well. And I agree that the perception is worse than the situation.
  • Options
    chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Hi, I have a weapon fighter. They are useless.
  • Options
    yourtormentyourtorment Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The issue with GWF is their threat generation, its <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Fix that before you break the fights by removing the other classes abilities.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I think the change was made just so people would stop getting so many CW's in the same party, they are now less useful, giving others more chance to shine.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    FH last boss is a joke for a GF, I stand in place, stunning all adds while everyone else tank the boss... so that's the wrong example. You don't even need a DC for that FH fight. SP last boss is more representative of the issue here...

Also Malabog, bc the Fulmi randomly aggros a player after the air phase and the only thing to draw attention away from that player temporarily seems to be Knights Challenge.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    GF also have an inate ability to debuff all adds "clumped" together in a few clicks, which make them more vulnerable to be killed quickly...
    I'd love to hear GWFs' view on their evolving role... as to educate me as well... thx

Maybe in module 2 with the new paragon paths that can be shared across GF/GWFs, this will allow GWF to agro better as well... dunno...

these paragon paths for gwf are A COMPLETE AND UTTER FAIL(if we get the few useless gf skills i dont want nor need) sentinel might get smth out of it but not destroyer

u dont have to be tanky, i did it with my salvage item geared cw, with gwf its actually harder cause gwf dont have any good ranged abilities and u should be on boss since u do more single target dmg

as for cw Conduit of ice and chill for pulling, shield for damage resistance and icy terrain + oppressive for aditional threat

i havent done gwf in fh, just spell(although 2cw+dc = enough for spell adds) but u probably could use leap, not so fast and roar or smth, come and get it and charge could be useful 2

• Options
    edited October 2013
    reiwulf wrote: »
    I think the change was made just so people would stop getting so many CW's in the same party, they are now less useful, giving others more chance to shine.

I think this will have the opposite effect, parties will require MORE CWs in order to be able to push off more adds following Singularity...
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I've heard this argument before, multiple times. "Decrease the capabilities of the CW, and you just have to bring more CW's in the party."

I personally hate this argument. I see much of the imbalance in Neverwinter at the moment being related to the CW community. Having played CW myself, I see why. It is by far the favored class, and the little nerfs here and there do little more in practical application than convince the CW community to double up their resources and hire more CW's ... all to do the same thing they were doing.

To many in this class' community, CW is the only class worth bringing, and no other class is necessary except possibly a DC. I've had more than once CW even argue that they can debuff and damage the boss almost as well as the TR, so why bother even with them?

In the end, I don't know what is on the developers minds, but I have a good impression of the communities. Since every single epic dungeon can be completed by almost any combination of classes, including 5-man GWF parties, I think the mechanics themselves are ironed out.

With the addition of yet another damage dealer who can do the job of a CW or TR on a pinch, why would these 'less than optimal classes' WANT to bring a CW with us?

It's not the developers I'm frustrated with. I'm to the point myself of boycotting the whole class.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    I've heard this argument before, multiple times. "Decrease the capabilities of the CW, and you just have to bring more CW's in the party."....

I see your point, but CWs are the only class that can clump together tons of adds, then push them off in one shot, decreasing by a HUGE amount the time it takes to finish a dungeon... Yes it is possible to clear without pushing, but for a lots of people time is money, and they will go for the shortcut, hence pick up more CWs in their parties, to the detriment of other classes...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I see your point, but CWs are the only class that can clump together tons of adds, then push them off in one shot, decreasing by a HUGE amount the time it takes to finish a dungeon... Yes it is possible to clear without pushing, but for a lots of people time is money, and they will go for the shortcut, hence pick up more CWs in their parties, to the detriment of other classes...

Not the only class that can clump them together. A hard working GWF who can stomach using Come and Get it and his GF friend and him can push the mobs, too.

But it don't take that long to kill them, either. I'm definitely not afraid to party entirely without CW's from now on.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Hi, I have a weapon fighter. They are useless.

u are useless, gwf is not. learn to play or gtfo

by the time u clump adds together and push them, 2 good(not the average 13k_gs_gets_outdamaged_by_cleric_companion) gwf can kill the adds, i hate these cw pushing adds. on my cw ill use singularity only in spell on last boss, there are a few places where its good, but mostly it just wastes time

• Options
    edited October 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    Not the only class that can clump them together. A hard working GWF who can stomach using Come and Get it and his GF friend and him can push the mobs, too.

But it don't take that long to kill them, either. I'm definitely not afraid to party entirely without CW's from now on.

GF only have Bull Rush to push off... and that's only 1 add at a time... Frontline surge "might" be pushing some, but only if they are clumped exactly on the edge of a cliff... and that rarely happens... plus it has a long cooldown. GFs role is definitely NOT pushing adds off...
  • Options
    spanky2014spanky2014 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 78
    edited October 2013
    As someone who plays a CW and as a leader of groups here is my POV:

All dungeons, 5 CW. Packs get destroyed within 5-10 seconds. When you kill things so fast, you don't need to heal and due to the short cooldowns for potions. At high end CW don't even bother bumping. Bump is not the problem the "problem" is that CW have this spell called Singularity. This spell is so good due to the endless add mechanics that is Neverwinter. It draws all mobs to a single location (in a controlled manner) to be blown over. 5 mages = Non stop singularity.

The only time CW is not so great are mobs where you can't singularity

Singularity is why CW is preferred to all classes.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    GF only have Bull Rush to push off... and that's only 1 add at a time... Frontline surge "might" be pushing some, but only if they are clumped exactly on the edge of a cliff... and that rarely happens... plus it has a long cooldown. GFs role is definitely NOT pushing adds off...

Nope, but it can do it. It does a much better job at killing them. Again, CW's are unnecessary.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    spanky2014 wrote: »

All dungeons, 5 CW. Packs get destroyed within 5-10 seconds. When you kill things so fast, you don't need to heal and due to the short cooldowns for potions. At high end CW don't even bother bumping. Bump is not the problem the "problem" is that CW have this spell called Singularity. This spell is so good due to the endless add mechanics that is Neverwinter. It draws all mobs to a single location (in a controlled manner) to be blown over. 5 mages = Non stop singularity.

And HR's are possibly getting 'Seismic Shot', which shoots an arrow into the ground and pulls mobs to that point.

Probably not as good as Sinq, but I'll make the exchange.

Clumping mobs isn't just for pushing, as we all know. It also does a good job of getting them all together to make it easier for melee to hit.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    by the time u clump adds together and push them, 2 good(not the average 13k_gs_gets_outdamaged_by_cleric_companion) gwf can kill the adds, i hate these cw pushing adds. on my cw ill use singularity only in spell on last boss, there are a few places where its good, but mostly it just wastes time

You are missing the point... People will form parties to minimize the amount of time it takes to finish dungeons.. This means having more CWs to get around pushing only 5 adds at a time instead of all of them in one shot...

Btw, I LOVE clearing up dungeons too, but it seems impossible nowadays to find parties that do that...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    You are missing the point... People will form parties to minimize the amount of time it takes to finish dungeons.. This means having more CWs to get around pushing only 5 adds at a time instead of all of them in one shot...

Btw, I LOVE clearing up dungeons too, but it seems impossible nowadays to find parties that do that...

The people you mention are already doing this. Those CW's will take other CW's with them. Fine.

The rest of us can do without the arrogance and high-and-mighty attitudes of those players anyhow.

• Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited October 2013

GF's can spec very well into pushing adds off and mine does so exceedingly well with both Frontline and Bull's. The 12 second cooldown on frontline isn't ideal, but since you can hit two bull's in that time it's easily managed. With a GPF, Perf Terror or Perf Bronzewood it also allows you to deal significant damage to anything that isn't knocked off.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    pandapaulpandapaul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 424 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    The problem is these dungeons. spawning hundreds of adds it should be of no surprise that the CW is the king of all dungeons.. It should have been obvious from the beginning..
    This needs to change? will it? probably not cause that will be in the "too hard" basket

So I actually think that CWs control powers should ne be nerfed.. that's what they do, that's what they need to do. I don't see the point in nerfing their control in pve..

However there aoe dps is completely broken in pve and requires a very significant nerf..

Devs please restore CWs CC and nerf the aoe dps.... that would be the step in the correct direction..
  • Options
    syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Knock back is also limited to just the 5 targets you hit. -sighs-- just confirmed that. Welp, Time to start looking at some alternate playing strategies and hope that the next paragon path is awesome. I'll read through other comments when I'm at work, rather than just the first page.
    contents to be decided
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    spanky2014 wrote: »

Instead of nerfing Shield,which I hear CW also use to push adds away from them when they are swamped, they should probably have a "save" dice roll and at least give a chance to have "some" adds ignore the singularity... That would make more sense...