test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Halloween is coming! Hallow's Thicket is paying hommage.

scmillerscmiller Member Posts: 40
edited October 2013 in The Foundry
My favorite time of year... I GUARANTEE that you will not being wasting your time with Hallow's Thicket -- NW_DRMS5JEGC .... Please rate and comment--thanks...best way to access type "Hallow's Thicket" on "best" on the search foundry tab. Also, it is eligible for daily quests..TIME FOR HALLOWEEN
Post edited by scmiller on

Comments

• scmillerscmiller Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2013
    Give it a shot! I swear you will like it!
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    scmiller wrote: »
    Give it a shot! I swear you will like it!

I do not see this in the list, no matter how I search :(
    edited September 2013
    Hmm try Hallow on the new tab--it should show...
    edited September 2013
    More specific: Simplified search, type hallow... and it should appear..just tried it--it was the there...trust me, worth the aggravation to find it!
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Searching for 'hallow' finally worked! :D
    edited September 2013
    Play it please! It is f-ing worth it! working on next one-- " A Witches' Moon" :)
    edited September 2013
    Hey its Saturday, what better way to relax than to sit down and think of Halloween and play Hallows Thicket?
    edited September 2013
    It's getting close to Halloween--- I only need 2 more reviews to make it a "daily" reward-- please play it...guarantee you will have fun with it--- best way to get it---click on best(on foundry tab) and type " hallow" and it should come up--thanks!
  • docsc00terdocsc00ter Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Just ran it for ya and left a tip in-game. :)

I was thinking this was a "Halloween-edition" of the adventure, but I wasn't aware of significant changes from the last time I'd run it. Still a creepy, claustrophobic crawl-through... which is a good thing.

S
    edited September 2013
    YEAH! Hallow's Thicket is now part of the "quest reward" system-- so thank you to all who have played it thus far-- almost finished with the next quest, "A Witches' Moon"
    edited September 2013
    Stop doing the quests that have been on there forever!!! Try something new--like Hallows Thicket
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I loved the enemies you customized inside the crypts, very creepy. I didn't understand why I didn't had to move when the big guy appeared, is it because the system you made for the waiting could have not worked?
    I have mixed feeling with the forests you made, in one side they're original and feel very different from other ones, on the other side, I feel they could use more details and stuff to add more mood to them, although maybe it's just me.
    If you want to trade reviews please try my quest "the mystery of ravenhill" in my signature. here's the topic.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?480831-The-ravenhill-mystery
    2e2qwj6.jpg
    edited September 2013
    Yeah--I ran into some internal bugs when a character approaches Gorrot..tried several times to correct it to no avail..I will play your quest and look forward to it! Thanks for the feedback!
    edited September 2013
    Quit playing the same old adventures! Give Hallows Thicket a shot!
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This is the most recent of several threads on this subject, so I am posting here:

Angry Foundry Review: [Hallow's Thicket]

TL;DR Section...

++++++++++

MY RATING/REVIEW PARADIGM:

I try to play with a mid-leveled character to judge combat balance (if any).

STARS are granted strictly for quest mechanics (anything the author does to create the environment and experience, such as maps, dialog boxes, interactives, etc.). TIPS are awarded for story creativity and detail; how engaging and immersive the overall quest is to me as a player.

My personal STARS rules:
    5-Stars = Highly Impressed
    (very rarely awarded, including official Cryptic quests).
    (Note: it does't matter to me if maps are pre-made or custom and it should NOT matter to you)
    4-Stars = Very good overall.
    (However, either needs more work or better creativity.)
    3-Stars = Neutral, neither really good or bad, unmemorable.
    (All quests start with this)
    2-stars = Annoyed - Too many immersion-breaking "glitches".
    (Perhaps I'm anal, but quality shows and it was lacking a bit here.)
    1-Star = Hate. It.
    (Usually falls to "just another stupid hack-n-slash grind trash")

Obviously I speak only for myself. I still tip if the story is good or has promise. But still, just saying.

My personal TIPS rules:
    500 = Excellent concept or context
    (Immersive, emotional, logical, engaging, etc. Excellent writing skill.)
    250 = Could use more work, especially in telling the story overall.
    (A good story, but story-telling skill needs some refinement.)
    50 = No matter how story-focused, the author was a bit lazy in telling it.
    (For too little in telling me a story. It barely clung to my attention.)
    000 = (No tip) - a stupid excuse for a "quest" (read: dumb hack-n-slash).

Shameless plug: to know my standards, I invite (nay: recommend) you play "Blacklake Luskan [NW-DLTZK9TJ6]" by @Skytzyc (Genre: STORY/PUZZLE) to see Dialog Paradigms, error-checking, and attention-to-detail with regard to the mechanics of a Foundry Work.

MY RATINGS AND GRADE FOR THIS QUEST:

As with every quest, I begin with the idea of 3-STARS (Neutral). It is important for readers and author to understand: this portion is strictly feedback from my perspective and opinion only, nothing is right or wrong. I am simply expressing my own experience as a player and, in some cases, how I would have done something if I were the author. It is strictly feedback for the author to consider, nothing more.

PRIMARY CONCERN: Dialog Box Paradigm: - 1-Star; total 2-Stars
    Authors: read my Dialog Box Paradigm post here:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/sho...91#post6058291

FINAL ANGRY REVIEW:

Three stars as mechanics definitely need some work, but overall very enjoyable, good story arc and subject - it held my deep interest. Overall flow and reveals are excellent.

250 AD Tip: great story idea, but needs some work on exposition and logical flow (information the player doesn't or should;t have is presumed, etc.)

Final thoughts: Excellent story idea! Really: this is a very creative idea and I most certainly am impressed with the premise of the story. Quest mechanics need some work, mostly in titles and Dialog Box paradigms. As for story-telling technique: that's subjective, But better logic and exposition is necessary to help me through the telling of it. Also, please do NOT rely on journal objectives to help tell the story.

Remove all inter actives that are not necessary to tell the story (or advance the story) from the foundry storyboard. 1) Having to interact with every little thing becomes cumbersome and 2) "Translate Runes Complete!" notices (for example) is immersion-breaking.

If cleaned-up and smoothed-out, story fleshed-out for a better story-telling experience will make this quest a contender for Cryptic Featuring. As it is right now I'd consider the quest to be in final "beta" stage.

It's clear the author has put a lot of work into this, only a little more is needed. The author clearly has a great imagination and the only faults with this quest lay in the Author's experience with Foundry Works creation and the idiosyncrasies thereof (we all have to start at the beginning, so I don;t fault the author for this).

Fix the immersion-breaking issues and this quest will be on my short-list of must-play Foundry Works.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FEEDBACK to AUTHOR SECTION
    Hallow's Thicket [NW-DRMS5JEGC], by SCMiller (@scmiller):

Played with: Level 30 Menzo Drow/Trickster Rogue

First impression: when accepting the quest, journal simply states "Seek out Guard Frinko". I would add location for clarity, such as "Seek Guard Frinko in Protector's Enclave".

DIALOG BOX PARADIGM. Confusion. (Sorry, this one is a pet-peeve of mine). Initial dialog with Frinko does NOT follow dialog box paradigm (both options are white, neither is orange or yellow). Additional options are both yellow, etc. See above regarding Dialog Box Paradigms. (Note: Following dialog box paradigms increases your chances of being selected by Cryptic for Featuring).

Confusion: how did I know to seek Frinko? I would have the player seek Sgt. Knox, a known go-to man for everything, then have Knox say something like "Oh yes, Frinko knows all about that nonsense, go see him" - which would give logical context to the start of the quest.

Exposition: my selection has Frinko suddenly telling me (without actually saying it) that his son is directly involved, there is no context or exposition. Okay, enough about writing style, expositions and dialog box paradigms. Suffice it to say the story-telling itself needs a little more fleshing-out (give me realistic context, never assume I know what the characters mean, unless they explain or say it outright). UPDATE: After rereading it, I get the gist Frinko fears for his son, not that he was already captured. This should be sated by Frinko.

Dialog: "A map has been found . . ." - confusing yellow - I son;t know if it's Frinko saying this, Dungeon-Master comment or OOC narrative. Note: if it's Frinko saying this, then why was I seeking him out to begin with? I thought *I* found the map and was going to show it to him. I'm confused here.

He ends with "I wish you well" - but does;t explain what I should do next regarding this subject.

Journal quest: "Find the street urchin" - how do I know to do this?

Street Urchin: option 2: how do I know what his name is (or that I'm looking for any Tom?) Just asking.

Finished with Urchin, objective is now "find cursed map". The urchin probably should have given me a clue where to start looking, but I got nothing at all from him (the map didn't even come up as a subject).

Okay, enough about my confusion and story-immersion, I think it will suffice to say that a bit more fleshing-out is due here, on a logical sense.

Okay, found map, journal objective only states "Outskirts of the Thicket" with no instructions, and no pixie dust trail to follow (though I know this could be a game bug). Going to a gate to see what happens (simple player experience). Nothing in over world ma, I don't know what I'm supposed to do at this point. Going to roam around PE to see if I can find something. UPDATE - found in in over world map - destination icon is partially obscured by UI (under the ST of "The Sword Coast" title).

Foundry tip: to create a waypoint that will better highlight your destination, make the next objective in your storyboard an interactive or "Reach Point" on your quest map. This should cause the game to direct me to a gate and show your map icon more clearly with a waypoint marker that states "you have a quest here," or something. I understand I could be experiencing a game bug right now. :\

First objective is to "take out wolves" - suggestion: is this a requirement to completing the quest? Important to the story? If not then don;t put it into your storyboard. All objectives in your storyboard must be completed to continue the quest. If they are there but not in the storyboard I can choose on my own to fight them or not.

Objective "A curious Wood Elf" - I'd keep the objective the same, but all it "Investigate the nearby damage" - I'll see the NPC and interact naturally.

Logic: if told I'm not welcome here, my first reaction would be to ask WHY!? I might mention later that I am looking for a place called Hallow's Thicket.

Grammar: "if not, the wolves tear your flesh . . ." (add a comma for clarity). Also double-check spelling throughout. (their, not thier, as opposed to they're - for example. I suspect you meant their.)

Dialogue feels hostile between us, then I ask to be shown the way. Give players different options (be nice or cruel, then suffer consequences of my attitude).

Told to visit some place, an Abbey I think, but not told where it is (I know: follow the magic dust LOL).

Corn stalk: only says "Press F to interact". Needs description. It didm;t add anything to the story for me, but it was a requirement (see above regarding storyboard.)

Witch dialogue: "I have sealed it the entrance off through . . ." should be: "I have sealed-off the entrance . . ."

Nice effect with the flash at the fire. Combat feels natural and balanced thus far. Objective simple states "The Cave" - again, better descriptions would do well here, both in objective titles and dialog (such as the direction toward the cave entrance).

Cave entrance: logistics: difficult to get to, a bit confusing visually. Perhaps using a Cave Entrance Foundry asset? Even a stone tunnel entrance would do fine. Something more specific here that the player can easily decipher.

Cave writing on wall: "Press F to interact". Better description, please. Such as "read the writing on the wall". Note that I (as a typical player) don;t read the journal objectives unless I need to. Don;t use this as part of your story-telling narrative. It should only be a Dungeon master guide and only referenced when needed by the player.

Great visuals in the cave - feels roomy, but claustrophobic also, lots of would, feels very "underground" here.

Interactive liquid: "Press f to interact". 'buff said :) These need to be corrected throughout the quest.

Good choice of music at Goblin King.

Good exposition at the big Ogre (or whatever he is) - helps fill-out the story thus far. More of this through your story, please.

Sanctuary map: Great visuals, very positive first impression!

Okay - objective: "Remain still until he stops" - bad, bad, bad. Find another way to prevent glitches, etc. This is a "lazy" work around for whatever glitches are caused otherwise. Use smoke and mirrors and player redirection. For example, find a way to have the player facing the other way, have Gorrot approach from behind the player - something, anything but this.

I wanted to interact with Gorrot - nope. I could;t figure out what to do until I just walked forward then that objective is complete. This *needs* to be fixed - oven if an interaction is only rambling from Gorrot.

Now I can interact with Gorrot, after I walk past him. And I only know this because the objective says I need to speak with him. Find another way for this sequence. This sequence would be minus two stars, but I never double-up on adding or removing stars in my reviews. :)

Mausoleum: A fourth map? I am hopeful this is the last one. I personally prefer three maps or less, but it's okay so far as each were relatively short.

Audio - voices and SFX are awesome here.

A fifth map, okay, I understand the mausoleum being a segue. Perhaps consider the mausoleum and lower sanitary as parts of the same map.

Lower Sanctuary: the interactive inscriptions are a nice touch, but they're being required to continue the quest is becoming annoying. Leave there there, but remove them from storyboard so I can skip them if I want.

On completing the quest - there is a stray Special Effects - a blowy with a flow of sparkles - in the wall, shooting out at a weird angle. FYI.

Wow, I actually received a reward for my class! (I know: game bug when I don;t - which is what usually happens).

The "stray" special effects is the exit portal. Perhaps it is appearing too soon. It should appear only after I claim super chest reward. and it still seems to face a weird direction.

//end feedback

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Do YOU want an "Angry Review" of your Foundry Work?

Private Message me with the full name and short code of your quest, include in-game @Handle and a link to your feedback thread. Be forewarned, I am picky, sometimes anal, and can be brutal when necessary, but it's strictly feedback, nothing personal. As you can see by this review, I try hard to leave no stone unturned and you know my 'rules' up-front. I usually do one Angry Review (like this one) once a week.

NOTE: If your quest features more combat than story/exploration/puzzles, etc - I will kill you in my review. I so hate hack-n-slash-grind-trash <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. We get enough of that garbage from official Cryptic quests. No more, please. I prefer Foundry Quests with less than 25 plays, but not more than 150 plays.

Hence: only the serious need apply, please, thank you.
    edited October 2013
    Get ready for Halloween--Play Hallow's Thicket!