test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Beginner problem

bookmasterbookmaster Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited October 2013 in The Foundry
I looked around and can't find a solution for my problem. I would be very grateful if someone could help.

I'm new to the Foundry and just started the tutorial linked to from the Foundry itself. I noticed that some of the sewer rooms were different. I assume this was changed in some patch and the tutorial hasn't been updated, since it seems to be only a cosmetic difference. My real problem came when I was supposed to start dragging and placing rooms next to each other or dragging and placing something in the room. When I click on the selected item/room and drag, it jumps to the lower right. When I let go, it jumps back to the upper left. This is making it very difficult to tell where I'm placing things because I can't see where it's going to end up. I have to estimate and it's frustrating. I can't be very precise (<----perfectionist). I'm probably missing something very obvious since I can't find anyone else with this problem. Please help me correct my ignorance.

Thank you for your time and assistance. :)
Post edited by bookmaster on

Comments

• boomba66boomba66 Member Posts: 221 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    bookmaster wrote: »
    I looked around and can't find a solution for my problem. I would be very grateful if someone could help.

I'm new to the Foundry and just started the tutorial linked to from the Foundry itself. I noticed that some of the sewer rooms were different. I assume this was changed in some patch and the tutorial hasn't been updated, since it seems to be only a cosmetic difference. My real problem came when I was supposed to start dragging and placing rooms next to each other or dragging and placing something in the room. When I click on the selected item/room and drag, it jumps to the lower right. When I let go, it jumps back to the upper left. This is making it very difficult to tell where I'm placing things because I can't see where it's going to end up. I have to estimate and it's frustrating. I can't be very precise (<----perfectionist). I'm probably missing something very obvious since I can't find anyone else with this problem. Please help me correct my ignorance.

Thank you for your time and assistance. :)

Check to make sure your video drivers are updated. I had a similar problem with placing npc' went away when I updated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bookmasterbookmaster Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thank you for the advice. I think I've updated all the drivers (not sure how to tell if I got them all) and I'm still having the problem. :( I do appreciate the driver update reminder; I've been meaning to do that anyway.

So...problem not fixed but check one thing off my to-do-eventually list, lol.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Is it interior rooms that don't drop where you want? Or is it detail assets within the rooms?
    Is it in 2D editor or 3D preview/editor ?

Also, if you are dragging an object and you drag the cursor over an "edge" of the window, or over the detail window and drop it, it will "abort" the move and appear back where it was originally placed.

I believe rooms as well will show a "red" area if they are overlapping any existing rooms that have been placed.

If you are in the 3D editor and are dragging something around it defaults to "attach" to ground/wall placement and may not be attaching exactly where you think you placed it. I've had stuff disappear under the floor and be placed on the bottom of the map area as well as way off in the distance somewhere.
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    One thing that helped me make sure when working in the 2d editor zoom all the way in. You will get much more precise 2d placement and then when you go into the 3d mode or the in play editor you can perfect it.
  • bookmasterbookmaster Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I believe it is the 2-D editor and it does this with everything. Rooms, items, etc. Zooming doesn't help, since it's still off by the same amount. When I grab it, it appears to be down and to the right of where it ends up when I let it go. I even see the red overlap area when the room I'm holding doesn't look like it's next to the other room. The distance from where it appears to be when I'm holding it and where it actually is remains consistent no matter what I'm holding.
  • marakthemaulermarakthemauler Member Posts: 41
    edited October 2013
    Do you have snap-to-grid turned off in the 2-D editor? If not, then the objects will "jump" to the nearest grid point. Also, you can do final adjustments with the x,y,z values to get everything lined up just right.
    edited October 2013
    The snap-to-grid was the first thing I turned off. Even with that enabled, though, things didn't jump exactly a grid space. Just a little over.
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Soon enough you'll get used to using 3D edit for everything anyway :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    I would like to test it in 3-D editor but I don't know how to access that yet. I hope I don't have the same problem. You think the 3-D editor is more useful?