test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Grimah's Debut foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" CO-OP (Challenge solo)

grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
edited November 2013 in The Foundry
Hi there, some may know me from the CW forums. If not then I will explain briefly why I created a foundry and what my goals was. I find the combat in neverwinter great. Atleast for an MMO, but the foundry maps i have tried may have wonderful stories but the combat is always lacking (in a good way not quantity!).

This is my debut map so I would be happy to do some review trades.

The Silence of Haydenwick - NW-DFUTEUGUE

This foundry is inspired by Resident Evil (the good ones), and adventure-games in general.

Built from the ground up so that I can (not must) be played Co-op, neither players will miss out on story if you just keep note of prompts and tell each other what you find! 2 players is most ideal for this foundry. Solo players beware, you may be pressed hard at some points and you certainly will use potions and i only recommend you solo if you have a well geared character or you are a confident player, I suggest equipping control encounters.

Description: You have taken up the unwanted task to investigate Haydenwick Village. The town has lost contact with the outside world and everyone that has been sent to the area has not returned.

Duration: 30 minutes or 45 minutes (exploring)

Story: Moderate/heavy

Dialogue: None/minimal.

Optionals: Five total (will reduce the difficulty level/indirectly if you find them)

Combat: Heavy/moderate (combat changes pace throughout, as the combat is in service to the story, not the other way around)

World interaction: Moderate/Heavy

Puzzle Solving: None

Please do not downrate this map due to difficulty (I am constantly tweaking encounters to get it just right).

Im looking for feedback about Pacing. Story elements. Bugs/errors. And what you would recommend to improve certain parts. And any problems you had in progression. And any points where you were pulled out of immersion.

This is an adventure style foundry, I have tailored the environments step by step to make sure there is no areas that detract from the experience (if there are some parts please let me know). I tried to make this foundry drip with atomsphere, so i hope it worked.

Please if you are wishing to review it solo, play with my warning. But I would appreciate if you brought a friend along for the ride.

Here are some screenies:

1cq1.jpg

woz7.jpg

wjf8.jpg

6lhk.jpg

Enjoy!
Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
Post edited by grimah on

Comments

• phoeniciansonphoenicianson Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I will be happy to play your Foundry, and welcome to the Foundry of Authors. What we do is generally swap trades for playthroughs to help fellow Foundry members gain traction with their quests in the sea of publications. I will play your quest later, and I look forward to playing, considering I too use a CW.

Please play through mine, Fall of the City of Grumura. You can learn more about my quest, by clicking the link. I am also working on a map update to change some of the environment based on an inspirational conversation I had with another author, Eskarine. I will post my notes once I complete the playthough, feel free to do the same on mine.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I will be delighted to play it, though i must say im a picky player. But will provide some good feedback for you
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    edited October 2013
    v1.1 is up, its the most polished version to date,
    -There are now more in-game "sequences", to enhance the story and changed certain story elements.
    - Changed/added some sounds,
    - Added more streamlined quest progression/adventure game elements.
    - Tweaked combat for pacing reasons (slow down points between tougher battles.)
    - Added subtle visual cues to show you slightly off the track areas (lights/lamps etc).
    edited October 2013
    I was going to play your foundry tonight, but I came home to a notice of the server coming down for that merger update. So, I logged to work on a new city for Grumura for a short while than got booted. I will definitely play your foundry tomorrow and post my notes. Quick question about the foundry post above, you mention, "Co-Op", but then say "Solo", can I do the quest solo, or do I need a friend? Because, I generally play alone. I am sure I can rough it solo even if you suggest a group, I have a very powerful CW.

Can you please clarify. Just to give me a heads up what to expect, thanks!
    edited October 2013
    Pics look great by the way! I am looking forward to playing!
    edited October 2013
    It can be soloed and is tuned to being able to solo with a confident level 60 player. Also those who are not so good with combat, can find things that will help them throughout the adventure via exploration.

But it can be ran as coop if you want an easier time.
    edited October 2013
    Ive decided it is now in a state i can be proud to have spotlighted so i posted a thread there instead. I will still appreciate any feedback/criticism if you have any. Though I've not gotten to the point where i can find little wrong with it >.<
  • karlodunkarlodun Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Time to find this Larbledune doesn't seem to work. I've been in all possible rooms, and have examined every interesting spot.... even this "cat-like" statue with wings in the last openable room, where I can press it's eye... nothing.
    What did I miss?
    edited November 2013
    hint: you require a gem to unlock the statue, check the library.
    edited November 2013
    Ah!!! Finally I found it! Sorry!
    edited November 2013
    Wow! Just finished it in a SOLO Mode, with a LVL31 Devoted Cleric! And it was very-very nice!!! Even though there were tough enemies around!
    One thing I've noticed: if you die and respawn in a campfire some of the enemies might disappear. (The Big-Big Zombie in the end did.... and I wanted so much to kill him!)
    Suggestions:
    I didn't pay attention if it some of this are not already happening, but just in case:
    1. Finding these "aids" should provide some additional exp (not too much, but at least some)
    2. It would be nice, if there would be more interaction with them
    Where do some of them disappear? What happens with them? (I didn't found all of them, and didn't activated all)

Probably there should be some "side quest" for the player to keep track of those "aids" like the golem, also something, which would connect them either together, or to the story.

Also it makes the players heart cry not to be able to take those ppl trough the story. If there would be an option to make at least some of them reappear, if you found them in the previous stories.

Since you were inspired by the "Resident Evil"...
    To make the "taking" easier - for the Golem I would suggest that the initial one can not go inside (if it isn't possible) but he could drop some other Item (Golem's Heart) which would allow to reactivate another golem in the Final room. This one would be a nice help, until you can get the wolf. To limit it's usage, it should stop working at some point of time, also connected to the story. (I want to keep it short, so I'll leave out my ideas, at least now).
    "Small Party" - some of them seem to be dead at the end or at least somehow disappeared. A small story would be nice. What were they doing there? How did they save themselves, who are they? For the case you should continue the story (and I hope you'll do!!!) it would be interesting to get something from them, which might be useful in the connecting quest. Maybe a letter, or some other item to give to relatives or friends?
    Or as another idea, why not to give those "aids" sidequest themselves? Like - bring the Golem back home, to his "whoever", lead the five ppl helping you until a certain point, where they can continue, what they were here for. Free the wolf, so he can escape (if he is still alive).
    edited November 2013
    If you want more input from my side - just ask :-)
    edited November 2013
    I'm not looking for anymore feedback (structure wise). There are limitations to what the foundry can do. Also Its intentional that you do not get a friendly with you always, it is not that kind of foundry where you get permanent companions.

Thanks for playing, im glad you enjoyed it.
  • andilahayandreyandilahayandrey Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I can't do quest!
    Time to find this Larbledune.
    How to do it T_T
  • angramorangramor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It was a good solo adventure! I like this kind of quests. The only thing I didnt like it is your first messege when the foundry starts. It`s not necessary to be so pessimistic about players opinion. Just give a few recomendatins and thats all! Oh, and one more thing, what are the strange sounds when you try to jump?

I`ve enjoyed atmosphere of that challenge! Thanks to author :cool: I will wait for a new one...