Install Arc

Grimah's Comprehensive Wizard guide

Comments

• grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lpsx wrote: »
    U just answered every question i had.

that is what its here for :)
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • davecheesedavecheese Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hey, how would you compare the two Ioun stones (one of might, one of allure)
    I would have thought the allure should be better because it's rare, but the might (uncommon) is more expensive on the AH.

Cheers!
    edited September 2013
    might is harder to obtain so it is more expensive, they are both good. Might however has 4 stats and one being deflection which is considered a useless stat (not entirely useless but not something you want to stack or rely on).

has 3 offensive rune slots, and 2 rings + belt. The passive stats being power, recovery, arp, deflection. I will update that section to include the information (dont have the stats at hand.) but a guildie of mine does. You lose slight amount of base stats compared to allure (deflection) but gain yourself another offensive rune, you will be able to "max" your offensive stats with might easier than allure (if using HV/magelord, with SW either stone is sufficient)

(For me personally i do like my +220 defense on my allure stone and i have achieved the "maxed" stats for my wizard's offensive stats with it 3000crit/recovery. 2.5k arp.)
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
  • nevets6169nevets6169 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    a few question here grimah

do u think AS would be fine if stay at rank 2? cause i max opp force and tend to use it more often nowadays
    from copticone's guide, he says that, plague fire not stacking with itself, means?
    but i'm comfortable with PF, since the debuff help entire group to kill mob faster, plan to make a greater PF
    edited September 2013
    yea i would say its fine, ive ran with AS being at rank 2 for a month before i realised i forgot to upgrade it. makes less of a difference now, as the daily is used more for its utility than damage. Mainly in certain boss encounters when you need to gather things up, or dungeons that require bump work (which does not require damage at all). You wont see any noticable difference between the 2 ranks when it comes to speed/success.

As for plaguefire not stacking, he maybe referring to a bug it has currently, its not stacking its debuff 3 times, only once. making it equal to terror. I would recommend building one if you can. However it will either be fixed or cryptic decide to change the tooltip/function of it, im betting that its the former, because it would be alot easier for cryptic to do that, when it does get fixed it will be a formidable enchant again, and no other enchant will provide its debuff close to it. (feywild stuff all has cooldowns).

If you have extra cash to splash about you could always just go for greater vorpal+. 3 mill for greater currently on beholder (i have one, but decided to whack it on my gwf instead because my CW has damage in spades anyway)
  • exarkun007exarkun007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 113 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Silly Grimah, GWFs aren't for damage, they are for PvP :p
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    You mean this comment?

Yes. Many people underestimate the value of having no red stuff on the ground with the extra control oppressor provides. A tanky wizard is also very handy.
    edited September 2013
    well i said its often overlooked because it doesnt provide damage bonuses (buff or debuff wise) which is true. unless you have another reason why people overlook this spec?
  • topguidestopguides Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hello grimah,
    I updated your guide @ http://mmominds.com/2013/08/30/grimahs-comprehensive-wizard-guide/
    Do you mind if I also add your build?

Thanks
    edited September 2013
    sure, I do not see why not.
    edited September 2013
    grimah wrote: »
    yea i would say its fine, ive ran with AS being at rank 2 for a month before i realised i forgot to upgrade it. makes less of a difference now, as the daily is used more for its utility than damage. Mainly in certain boss encounters when you need to gather things up, or dungeons that require bump work (which does not require damage at all). You wont see any noticable difference between the 2 ranks when it comes to speed/success.

As for plaguefire not stacking, he maybe referring to a bug it has currently, its not stacking its debuff 3 times, only once. making it equal to terror. I would recommend building one if you can. However it will either be fixed or cryptic decide to change the tooltip/function of it, im betting that its the former, because it would be alot easier for cryptic to do that, when it does get fixed it will be a formidable enchant again, and no other enchant will provide its debuff close to it. (feywild stuff all has cooldowns).

If you have extra cash to splash about you could always just go for greater vorpal+. 3 mill for greater currently on beholder (i have one, but decided to whack it on my gwf instead because my CW has damage in spades anyway)

i had tested PF on dummy, it still show 3 stack tho
    i cant test on dummy by damage, because dummy have 0 def
    what do you think about this build
    http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=p7j:4c94s:8fe...u0zv:b0000&h=0
    edited September 2013
    havent tested it since the latest patch but the 3 stacks are misleading, the bug is that it only reduces defense by the 1 stack. I tested it myself in pvp vs a guildie on the opposite team. Not sure what the situation for it is at this very moment.

p.s that link is broke
    edited September 2013
    ic, din test it in pvp to get the actual amount
    how bout tis link
    http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=p7j:4c94s:8feb,13e3ih0:60000:bu0zv:b0000&h=0
    edited September 2013
    I would take out transcended master or elemental empowerment and either get bitter cold, 5% constant damage buff for everything or nightmare wizardry if you plan to use EotS most of the time (from my tests you get around 40-50% uptime of nightmare wizardry with eots. Both are better than either one of those. rest looks good.
    edited September 2013
    nethreldras and gildriador did tests regarding wizard wrath and focused wizardry on other encounters (that were not effected by evocation)

I can confirm these too, as i ran my own tests, parsed and calculated min and max damage for crits and non crits. (still only effects the aoe effect on chilling cloud not the regular strikes). So now they also apply to sudden storm, icy terrain, conduit of ice (mastery and normal), shard of avalanche. This gives these feats alot of value as that covers every aoe spell we have now.

This does not work with entangling force on mastery if anyone was going to ask
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hi Grimah,

First of all thanks for this great guide. I read your thread since the first day you started it and that save me a lot of time.
    I'm a casual player and I have not always the time to do my own test.

But in the last week I had time to test Wizard Wrath's, Focused Wizardry and Evocation.

I see that you have updated your guide for Wizard Wrath's and Focused Wizardry,
    but I want to add Evocation for those who want to know the difference.

Power (Encounters and Dailies) affected by Wizard Wrath's and Focused Wizardry :

Encounters:

Chill Strike (Mastery)
    Conduit of Ice (Mastery and normal)
    Repel (Mastery)
    Shield
    Icy Terrain
    Sudden Storm
    Steal Time
    SoE Avalanche

Dailies:

Ice Storm
    Arcane Singularity
    Opressive Force

P.S. I tested all the power above + Mealstrom of chaos,
    but Mealstrom of chaos don't work with Wizard Wrath's and Focused Wizardry.
    I have not tested Entangling force on mastery slot and Conduit of Ice on regular slot.
    I have not tested At wills : Chilling cloud and Storm Pillar.

But with your test we can add :

Conduit of Ice (Normal slot)
    Chilling cloud 3rd Hit

I tested all the AoE Power (Encounters and Dailies) with Evocation and no feats.

Power (Encounters and Dailies) affected by Evocation :

Encounters:

Chill Strike (Mastery)
    Repel (Mastery)
    Shield
    Icy Terrain
    Steal Time
    SoE Avalanche

Dailies:

Ice Storm

Curiously Evocation don't work with all the AoE powers that work with Wizard Wrath's and Focused Wizardry.

I think with this information it will be easier to decide about choosing or not choosing Wizard Wrath's - Focused Wizardry - Evocation : when you know on which power the bonus apply...
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
    edited September 2013
    thanks for the research. the problem with cryptic is they overlook alot of things when fixing something else. evocation right now isnt the strongest feature to be using but it can be utilised if the person chooses to.
  • gildriadorgildriador Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Evocation Test update 2.0 :)

I did a new test with Evocation because it was less complete than my Wizard Wrath and Focused Wizardry test and it revealed that Opressive Force works with Evocation too.
    “He raised his staff. There was a roll of thunder. The sunlight was blotted out from the eastern windows; the whole hall became suddenly dark as night. The fire faded to sullen embers. Only Gandalf could be seen, standing white and tall before the blackened hearth.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
  • chabahchabah Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    side note archmage armour set t1 ( steal time does not reduce cd by 6 seconds ) unless u mean where there are lots of mobs ? tried on 3 dummies
  • jeffmwillsonjeffmwillson Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    chabah wrote: »
    side note archmage armour set t1 ( steal time does not reduce cd by 6 seconds ) unless u mean where there are lots of mobs ? tried on 3 dummies

It sure does. It doesn't reduce the cool down on itself. or on every encounter. but if you cast a control encounter. (as is listed as encounters under archmage that work with it) then cast steal time. the cool down will drop very fast on the control encounter you used. you will see this happen. and it does take away about 6 seconds every time.
  • chabahchabah Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    another question why is Shadow weaver procs buffs some times and some times it just doesnt unless i unequip and reequip it ?
    is it bugged ? tested it with 3 other cws and all have similar problem
    edited October 2013
    the set has an internal cooldown of 2 minutes, with a 1 minute uptime. (give or take a few seconds). Im guessing it is still not fixed.
  • fg260781fg260781 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hello to all,
    I state that I have read all the topics in this section and countless others scattered around the network.
    Made due premise I am going to request!

I would like to set up my CW as full dps, thus maximizing the damage and increasing the percentage of critics. However, being unaccustomed to the dynamics of the game I need to know a build 60 adapted to what end game and possibly complete tree of the talents and powers.

I read a lot on the internet and almost all of what I found was not updated after the patch in August.
    Builds instead are complete sell'albero talent but there is one of the powers that currently you still need me because of my inexperience.

Add that I am a Thiefling.

Thanks in advance anyone who has the patience to help me!
  • uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    fg260781 wrote: »
    [...]
    I would like to set up my CW as full dps, thus maximizing the damage and increasing the percentage of critics. However, being unaccustomed to the dynamics of the game I need to know a build 60 adapted to what end game and possibly complete tree of the talents and powers.[...]
    All the builds listed in the CW-Section of the [Community] Class Guides, Builds, and Resources are updated after the last module.
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community
  • sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have a small question about stats :)
    What is your opinion about stacking crit to 3000? DR on this one is sooooooo punishing D: For example, 1500 crit gives (totally with initial stats buff) about crit 35% chance. What is the chance at 3000? Is it worth stacking?
    edited October 2013
    mine is stacked to 2900, cant remember the number off the top of my head, but in the guide there is a link to a graph. that graph will tell you how much you gain for whatever rating you want to find out.

I would work towards 3000 but its not hugely important. 2000-2400ish is sufficient to begin with. The only stat i would recommend not to sacrifice is ArP (below 2200). my crit all comes from pyro rings and azure enchants. on pet or on person.
    edited October 2013
    I'd like to add, I have created a foundry map for Castle Never bump training. You can spawn a mock Dracolich add spawn, spiders and hulks/battle wight commanders.

This was made to help train new wizards or for new wizards who wise to learn and practice how to bump in castle never.

Before anyone jumps in and says something, spiders and wights are optional when it comes to castle never. But it can be tricky for new-timers and it can be a valuable skill to learn, and will improve your bump timing.

The first version is uploaded now under "For review" and is accessed via a sewer grate in Protector's Enclave: "Castle Never Training Centre" NW-DCD8YIVHU

Posting it here, incase some moderator may think to move a thread to foundry forum which we all know, no one reads :).

On a more selfish note, i would appreciate anyone who will support and play my story/campaign foundry found in my signature. I promise you will not be disappointed!

Thanks. Happy wizardring.
    edited October 2013
    There seems to be invisible walls restricting the use of sheild bump within the draco ring, but repelling works (on the draco mock).
  • algolmuirgenalgolmuirgen Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I'm a CW with hideous gear and I need to respec going from a party helper to a full-time on-my-own CW walking alone. I have a Heme Ghost and a Lvl 15 Cleric that I can't afford to pay to open her up for more help. I have enough coin for ONE respec. Uhhh...Help. I'm still PvE, but I'm at 60th level w/mainly blue gear and I need a real-world helping hand. I'm ancient in age, new to OL gaming and have made it to 60th lvl, but I'm finding such conflicting info on here, I'm lost. Seriously...lost. If anyone was going to respec a former party-backing CW to a going-it-alone wizard, with Paragon Path and a brief list of best powers to go with it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thx!
    edited October 2013
    If you have a level 60 wizard then you should know which spells you like most, and what you do not. Almost all our encounters have its uses somewhere. It depends on what playstyle you prefer. What paragon path appeals to you most?

Also on a seperate note: didnt realise draco got changed until today (havent really been doing much end-game stuff) so i guess bumping is going to be a forgotten art from now on.