test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Need some help with a trigger/FX

derpdedoderpdedo Member Posts: 62 Arc User
edited October 2013 in The Foundry
Is it possible for when the player is using something for an effect become visible during the time of use only?

For example, they have to pray at an alter, light from above FX appears, then disappears when they stop, or a rouge has to use acid on a lock, steam rises from the device while they are doing it…

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

The lack of cannons in the Foundry is what brought this up, had to come up with something magical the player could use for ship to ship combat at sea…
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by derpdedo on

Comments

• builderxbuilderx Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
    edited October 2013
    You can make the FX start by using the appear when component complete that would be the alter. But there is no way of stopping the FX by way of a trigger from a player emote, you can fudge it by using a reach point set in the story to tell the player to leave the alter and disappear FX an objective complete or you can set up a timer using the drop method or combat method thus generating a component complete trigger.

Hope that helps.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    For catapult animation in my Under Siege! quest I'm using an interactable "lever" to fire the catapult (disappear ready catapult, appear unloaded catapult, play sound effect, start falling small firey meteroids effect, start combat timer).
    Then, when combat timer expires, stop firey meteroid effect (...start catapult "response" fire animations, etc...).

Edit: Read Foundry Trick: Trigger Timer (and please sign: Request for Timer Object)
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You can also see if there is a certain effect animation that has a certian duration (like explosions or stuff like that) I think they loop only once.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • derpdedoderpdedo Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Thank you for the responses... the FX i wanted to use is the Energy Beam, constant loop unfortunately.

I’m guessing starting the event (FX On) with the duration of the event to keep it on, then completing the event (FX Off)?
    Sort of like a magical cannon. The ballista just doesn’t look right after I fixed the floor in the ship so it could be usable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I've never figured out how to start at effect when the player starts to interact with an item.

Stopping the effect is easy, you can trigger that off onComponentComplete. Starting the effect? Don't think it's possible.

for your purposes, I would cheat and tell the player to interact with object A to start the beam, then interact with object B to end the beam. The beam won't be shown while the player's interacting, but you can fudge it in text and just say "press button to start" "press button to stop."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited October 2013
    You might be able to attach contact text to an intractable, have the effect start on a dialog start, then have the effect end on component complete. I have never tried it, but it is something that came to mind. Of course this will also have the player go into dialog response mode which is likely unwanted. Just an idea though.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Starting an effect is simply setting it's Appear When property do dialog reached, component reached, component complete, etc.
  • stdaffydstdaffyd Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    You could also add a marker (place marker) just before the altar and use 'when component reached' (set to the marker), if you set the radius to 2ft or so then it should look ok and not activate too soon (default is 50ft - huge!).
    Problems with this method are that the player could dodge around the first trigger (so not activate the pillar of light) then pray at the altar and then back away through the trigger (activating the pillar of light - now permanent unless they pray again).
    The other problem is they could hit the trigger and stop, watch the light pillar and then walk away keeping the pillar lit up because they don't hit the 'stop' trigger (interacting with the object). Personally I think the first issue is just trigger size and placement so can be played with until it works correctly and there is no ability for characters to dodge around it. The second issue I figure if the character wants to do it they can.
    edited October 2013
    Thank you everyone for your input :o
    I’ve decided to go with this scenario:

Item 1:
    The player use the item with the duration on short
    (FX beam=On)
    Then dropping an Imp between 3 guards
    (FX beam=Off)
    (FX over heat steam=On)

Item 2:
    (FX beam=On)
    Then dropping an Imp between same 3 guards
    (FX beam=Off)
    Item 2 (FX over heat steam=On) / Item 1 (FX over heat steam=Off)
    Item 1 ready for use again…

Item 3:
    (FX beam=On)
    Then dropping an Imp between same 3 guards that are now a bit over paranoid about an upcoming Imp invasion…
    (FX beam=Off)
    Item 3 (FX over heat steam=On) / Item 2 (FX over heat steam=Off)
    Item 2 ready for use again…

Thank you again :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Mob kill timers are your friend :)

Everyone uses 'em. Don't feel bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2013
    it worked out perfectly, 1 drow assassin vs 8 warriors n 4 wizards made the perfect timer for what I needed
    Thank you everyone :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • feuygarfeuygar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Hi,

From what height are you dropping the imp please and how long a time period does that deliver?

Thanks - timers are proving a pain for me to get right.
    edited October 2013
    feuygar wrote: »
    Hi,

From what height are you dropping the imp please and how long a time period does that deliver?

Thanks - timers are proving a pain for me to get right.

I actually decided to use a Drow Assassin. It’s one of the few easy encounters that have a single critter.
    I had it placed on ground level with more than enough guards on the other side of an invisible wall. As soon as the trigger is flipped, the wall disappears and they go at it. Sometimes the drow gets the upper hand which gives the timer a few extra seconds.

Because of the story line, I was able to work it out as an angry mob going after a saboteur. :o

Example.png

It works best with invisable walls 10 x 10. Just box them in and let them go one at a time
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Not sure why people use guards/wizards so much. but if you want a short timer (1-2 seconds) just drop spitting spiders + 2 clerics and maybe 2-3 guards. that is all you need, maybe a 4th guard might that might be overkill.

the cleric ones first attack is sunburst which knocks down more than half a bar of health in a huge radius.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • phoeniciansonphoenicianson Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have an idea for your dilema.

Although, it will require dialogue instead of interaction. If you were to use Dialogue on a clicky instead of the object itself, so you have a better POV, you can use the dialogue to recite the prayer in as many boxes as you want and set the effect to appear and disappear with the boxes as you choose.

So, set an invis clicky on the object, use the contact feature for dialogue on the clicky, and then set the appear/disappear rules for the effects based on the dialogue progression with the clicky.