test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Brand new Neverwinter Podcast

texasgunmantexasgunman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi, folks! I'm excited to announce a brand new Neverwinter-exclusive podcast is coming your way!

Inside Neverwinter is a new weekly Podcast show brought to you through the grace of Youtube and the work of the hosts, DJTakuya and JDog! Each week, we'll be bringing you up to date on the state of the game, talking about the latest news in depth and sharing our stories from in game!

Join us for the very first episode, now on Youtube! Inside Neverwinter Podcast Episode 1 covers the current state of the game, evaluating all the aspects of gameplay, graphics and economy! We also discuss some of the news around the Fury of the Feywild changes in our news segment, News from the Enclave!

Please write your criticism (constructive or not) and leave feedback in the comment section. If you have a suggestion or question you'd like to be read and/or answered on the show, send an email to djtakuya on Youtube!

We record every Saturday night and each episode should be up by Sunday morning! Thanks for your time and hope to see you on the podcast!
Thanks,
Peter James
Host of Inside Neverwinter Podcast
Guild Leader of Knights at the Ceili
Post edited by texasgunman on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I'm pleased to report the second episode of Inside Neverwinter Podcast is now live on Youtube!

In our second-ever episode, we discuss the great Nightmare Lockbox Mount exploit of 2013, the new campaign content in Sharandar, the latest State of the Game article from Andy Velasquez and all the quality of life changes brought to us in Module 1! We also delve into economics discussion and talk about how to make money now that Dungeon Delve chest rewards are BoP.

Hope to see you on the podcast! Look for us next Sunday for episode 3!
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It's Sunday and you know what that means! Another episode of Inside Neverwinter is live on Youtube to please your ears!

On this episode, we discuss hitting 60 and playing through the Sharandar daily content, the Midsummer Festival, and how the economy has been changed for the better. We discuss how players will do now that gear is BoP, how Neverwinter is now a better MMO and ask for your feedback!

You can find Episode 3 here!
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Inside Neverwinter Podcast Episode 4 is now up on Youtube!

This week, JDog was unable to make it to record so DJTakuya is solo up in this mother! I establish a good method to approaching the Sharandar dailies in the State of the Game, introduce some new items on the Zen Market in News from the Enclave and present our first official Featured Foundry!

As always, we're asking for your feedback in the comments section! Let us know how we're doing, how you liked the podcast, what you'd like to see from it or whatever. Hope to see you on the podcast and look for us next Sunday for episode 5!
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The Inside Neverwinter Podcast Episode 5 is now up for viewing/listening on Youtube!

In this episode, JDog is out again, so I'm once again solo! I announce an open call for a third co-host, perform our first-ever retraction, invite your feedback once again, and give a viewer a shoutout for their feedback and correction! In News From the Enclave, the patch has upped the rewards from the Midsummer Festival event and added a few needed adjustments to the Neverwinter Gateway. In our Featured Foundry, we review SILVER THIEVES by @waldo79 and it scores nicely with me!

If you're interested in applying to be our third co-host, send me a private message on Youtube or on Twitter @Nitewriterbooks! Be prepared for a conversation-style interview.
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    thanks for putting this together! you guys are awesome!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It's our pleasure! It's just nice to be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The Inside Neverwinter Podcast Episode 6 is now live on Youtube for your listening/viewing!

In this episode, JDog is out again and we are still looking for a third co-host for the show. If you're interested, private message me on Youtube or @Nitewriterbooks on Twitter. In the State of the Game, I open the floor to discussion about Sharandar rewards, give praise for the Realm of Malabog zone, and note the rule of three trope in gaming! Also, we have a strikingly-good Foundry to talk about, as well as propose some solutions for the state of Foundry rewards.
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Just a reminder about the requirements for a co-host! You have to be passionate about Neverwinter, have about one hour a week to devote to discussion on the latest news and the current state of things in-game. That's it! You don't have to fit into any sort of pre-conceived mold. We have some flexibility as to scheduling, so don't let that stop you from applying!

All you have to do is send me a private message on Youtube. Search for my channel djtakuya. Alternatively, you can send me a private message on Twitter @Nitewriterbooks. Write to me a short message about why you'd like to a co-host on the Inside Neverwinter Podcast!
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The Inside Neverwinter Podcast Episode 7 is now up on Youtube!

In this episode, JDog makes his triumphant return! We read and reply to your comments, we bring back the full-fledged State of the Game review to recap every facet of the game and we have some breaking news about what's next for Neverwinter! Finally, we review not one, but TWO excellent Foundries that we recommend to fill out your 4 Foundry requirements for the daily quest
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    vrasaajvrasaaj Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Since this is an audio-only podcast, any chance you could put the MP3 on an RSS feed so we can subscribe with a normal podcast client?
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Really enjoying the Podcats the production values have improved, since the first one and I think the content is spot on. I think it's wise that you are searching for a third co-host, I would also consider go to a video format, I think the rest of the podcast is strong enough to support that.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Vrasaaj, I will certainly look into it. If it is doable for me, with equipment and budget, you can bet I will do it. Anything to get the show more listeners.

Stormdrag0n, I'm glad you think so! I've learned quite a bit while making the podcast these last few months. I regret that we have to search for a cohost to fill in or possibly replace JDog, since he helped to start the show, but it will be necessary to find at least one more person to cohost. To follow up, may I ask what you would like to see in a video format? What springs to mind when I read that is perhaps video content for the Featured Foundry, but perhaps you had more in mind? I'm open to comments and suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Vrasaaj,
    Stormdrag0n, I'm glad you think so! I've learned quite a bit while making the podcast these last few months. I regret that we have to search for a cohost to fill in or possibly replace JDog, since he helped to start the show, but it will be necessary to find at least one more person to cohost. To follow up, may I ask what you would like to see in a video format? What springs to mind when I read that is perhaps video content for the Featured Foundry, but perhaps you had more in mind? I'm open to comments and suggestions.

One of the formats I thought worked very well was the old Jupiter Broadcasting SToked when Jeremy and Chris were hosting, you can see them when they were pretty much at the top of their game here You could do different segments, featuring the foundry, Current happenings with the game, perhaps interview a Cryptic employee form time to time, that would mean a show every two to four weeks, not weekly (Jupiter was more like one to three weeks depending on segment and news flow) It would require using production software quality web cams, but the payoff would be worth it I think as no one else is even considering taking this up as far as I know.

It's something to consider, the show has good bones to build off of.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Good news! The Inside Neverwinter Podcast Episode 8 is up on Youtube, with additional sources pending. We've moved the podcast up to Thursday this week in order to bring you the latest news promptly.

In this episode, Cryptic is taking heat for their latest decisions, we'll tell you about the new Lockboxes, and everything you want to know about the new Call to Arms event happening over the weekend! Our Featured Foundry is a triumphant return from a previous Foundry author and not to be missed!
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The first Inside Neverwinter Minicast has been uploaded! Apologies to those looking for it in audio-only form for download. I am currently working on hosting for the files in order for them to be updated via RSS or iTunes.

In the first ever mini version of our weekly podcast show, I'll share why I've been so hard on Neverwinter lately. Plus, the shard merge finally happened, as luck would have it, it was announced the day after the last podcast.
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The Inside Neverwinter Podcast is back with a force on Episode 9!

On this episode, DJTakuya and JDog are back together to co-host the show. The Coins of Waukeen event is here, and we'll talk about whether it makes Sharandar content interesting again, if the rewards are worth it and how best to get your rewards. No new Featured Foundry this week, but keep a look out for next week!
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    vrasaajvrasaaj Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Been awhile since I visited the thread but I'll comment on Episode 9 which I just finished listening to.

re: cleric's not healing @JDog -- if you haven't tried a cleric (it's the only character I have) we really only have one "direct heal" which is Healing Word and that applies a regeneration (Neverwinter's term for "heal over time"). It has a "load" of 3, each one with its own cooldown so if we end up tossing all 3, we have to wait awhile to use it again. Aside from only being a smallish HoT, the biggest obstacle in using Healing Word is being able to target the player who needs it when all the melee guys jump into the same small area, not to mention all the mobs the game tends to prioritize over your teammates. The single best heal is Astral Seal which is passive healing -- when I put a seal on a mob (has a yellow glow) the more damage you do to that mob, the more you heal yourself. If your tank sits there turtling behind his shield, well, he's not helping himself out. Next most common (and awesome) is Astral Shield which places a decent-sized circle on the ground. Everyone inside it not only receives a constant HoT but also incoming damage reduction. Between one Astral Shield and laying an Astral Seal on every mob I can target, I can keep my team pretty well topped off. The exception would be a control wizard who needs the heal but never bothers to step inside the Shield circle to get it. Some clerics might equip Bastion of Health which is one big area direct heal but it has a lengthy cooldown so a lot of us stopped using it in favor of Astral Shield.

I'm also the guy who requested an audio-only version and RSS to subscribe. Since this is the first episode I've listened to in awhile, here's what I had to do:
    1) download the YouTube file. A lot of YouTubes are only FLV but yours offered a choice of FLV or MP4. The FLV rang in a 39.9MB while the MP4 came in at twice that, 74.6MB which is a big file for 33 minutes of audio. I'm looking at not only the bandwidth aspect (the MP4 seems quite a waste since the only "video" is a static image) but also storage capacity on my MP3 player, which I use while running instead of lugging around my larger and heavier Android phone.
    2) convert to MP3, which ended up 30.9MB at 128kbps. Since the podcast is speech only, little music or anything else, it would likely sound the same or close at 64kbps.
    3) manually set the ID3 tags so my MP3 player can find it
    4) manually copy to the MP3 player

So, it's a little bit of effort, and regardless, with no RSS I would have to manually copy the file anyway whether I did the rest or not.

As for general podcast suggestions, I'd eventually start trying to get "in" with the community and have guests. Maybe the leader of the top PvP guild or whatever, or some of the "best" or most "popular" members of each class. Some of the high-rated Foundry authors. Also, if possible, a female co-host to add a little extra something and different perspective to the mix. That being said, even with the two of you, I'm glad you guys don't spend way too much time Bromancing the Stone with gamebrodude talk. That gets old fast.

If you insist on going the video route someday, I will second the above vote for looking into the old STOked podcast from Jupiter Broadcasting, with the caveat that those guys have professional equipment to do what they do. But maybe a mix of something like that with some in-game engine stuff similar to what PrimetimeUGC does with STO. However, they do their entire podcast that way and for me, that gets old, as well as their general lack of "energy" in their voice. If they don't sound interested doing it, why should I remain interested in listening? But -- personal opinion -- please don't do like the Foundry Files and just have video of gamerbrodudes sitting at their PC with their headsets on talking into their webcam. That's just creepy and boring. (I don't see the attraction or entertainment value in the livestreamers who put their webcams on either. So? You're sitting there staring at the game instead of engaging your audience. I want to watch that why exactly?)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Vrasaaj, thank you so much for all you've said!

Firstly, wow. I had no idea you put so much work into listening to the show! I can see now how a little extra work on my part would save you a LOT of work. During the course of the production of an episode, we first record the show, then I process and edit the audio, add the opening and closing music, and finally add the static image that you see on the Youtube version. The conversion to video with a single-photo slide show actually adds a lot of time to production. It wouldn't be very hard for me to compress and release the audio-only version on an RSS feed, the only caveat would be the cost of webhosting. Before now, I didn't have any money to invest in file hosting.

Currently, that is a lot more doable. I can tell you that I am considering switching from free video hosting of the podcast on YT to a paid hosting of the mp3 version of the podcast. The pros of such a switch are it would save my time in turning the audio-only recordings we make into a video, and would improve the turnout time of an episode. Currently, the recording and conversion takes about 3 hours in total, then the upload to YouTube is done overnight while I'm sleeping. This would allow me to cut the whole process down to about 2.5 hours: recording, post and upload. The cons are the cost of hosting isn't offset by anything I make online, I'm doing this all out of pocket.

It can sound sefish when put that way, but I only have one income, and what I make I have to save, I'm hoping to invest in a better microphone, upgrading or replacing my PC (which is a laptop and does somewhat hinder recording of gameplay footage) as well as mundane RL things such as some groceries, helping out if a bill gets too big, and general contributions when necessary. So it can be hard to make those decisions. But rest assured, cost or not, I will be making the effort to make the show easier to obtain and listen to. In my mind, it should be as simple as download, transfer and listen. I don't want you to have to do the work in listening to the show, I want your part to be listening and enjoying.

Truth be told, I'm happy anyone is listening right now. So thank you, so much.
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    We at Inside Neverwinter are proud to say Episode 10 is now up on Youtube!

For this triumphant episode 10, DJ And JDog preview some content from the upcoming module, Shadowmantle. We discuss minor changes to instanced maps, the look and feel of the Hunter Ranger class, as well as the new Refinement system coming to enchants and runestones.

Join us for a celebratory, more laid back episode of Inside Neverwinter!
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Greetings and heads up, it's a new episode of Inside Neverwinter!

Inside Neverwinter in it's traditional format is back in action! DJ is solo this week and we start the show off by talking about some changes now that we've turned a new corner on the show. Shadowmantle has launched and we're into the new class, new Paragon Paths, new Refinement system, and the new Dread Ring campaign! Also, DJ's guild, Knights at the Ceili has formed and is recruiting! All this and more in a brand new Inside Neverwinter!
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Inside Neverwinter Episode 12 is now available!

On this episode, DJ is casting solo again so we'll talk about why GMs can't restore items? Also, we'll compare and contrast Dread Ring to Sharandar and how things have improved. Finally, Winter Festival is coming up and we've got all the details on how things *might* be!

All this and more in this week's episode!
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    galadiagaladia Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    From 07:41 onward the sound is all messed up. It's like you're talking over yourself in an echo chamber.

Might want to fix it and reupload.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for telling me. I probably wouldn't have even noticed!

It was just YT's rendering that did it, my master track is sound, so I'll do a quick reupload tonight!

Edit: My master track is messed up for just a few seconds at 7:41, so I'm going to reupload it, but I unfortunately did not save the raw recording file from last week's episode. I apologize for the crappy quality and promise this week will be better!
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Inside Neverwinter Episode 13 is live!

As is the guild website and the Podcast website! All those who have requested MP3 downloads of the show can now rest easy, we do now have a site set up for those!

In this episode, DJ and JDog are back from a week filled with Neverwinter fun! Last weeks episode was ruined by poor equipment settings but our intrepid hosts are back for revenge!

This week, DJ and JDdog talk about sliding all over on the Twilight Run, Fishing up rewards, the companion sale and DJ rants about the problem with zen store companions. Also, the Knights at the Ceili guild is running strong, and already had it's first guild event and we're eager to talk about it!

All this and more on this week's Inside Neverwinter!
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Inside Neverwinter Episode 14 is live on the website tonight, with the Youtube upload coming tomorrow afternoon!

On this episode, not only do we have both DJ and JDog together to host the show, but we are joined by a special guest host, our friend from the guild, Dustin!

This week, the three of us discuss the current state of the game, as we are aware that Neverwinter is always attracting new players! Also, this weeks patch was meant to bring double rewards to the Winter Festival during it's Zenith, but it didn't! Details on that in this weeks News from the Enclave.

All this and plenty more on this episode of Inside Neverwinter!
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Inside Neverwinter Episode 15 is up on our website at Podbean and on iTunes! Additionally, the show is still on Youtube as well!

On this episode, special guest host Phobet joins the show, and JDog couldn't make it this week. We break down the State of the Game with some Refinement and Enchantment talk. Follow that up with the News from the Enclave, wherein we look forward to the new Call to Arms and what's coming in the future! Finally, we get a look through Phobet's eyes at a well-known but not yet covered Foundry. All this and more on this weeks Inside Neverwinter!
    Thanks,
    Peter James
  • Options
    arch0nisarch0nis Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Any way you can get the old episodes up on iTunes?
    "Society is a madhouse, whose wardens are the police and the officials." - August Strindberg
  • Options
    kharnykharny Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    im really enjoying these, I've been watching this while i level so each episode relates more to my situation, its a really cool expierance, I am a level off 60 now and almost at the end of these vods
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Good stuff!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @arch0nis, there is indeed a way! Keep your eyes peeled each Thursday on iTunes and Podbean for a throwback episode!

@kharny, you have no idea how great it is to hear you like the show! I hope you keep listening, we always have a blast making it!

@sominator, I'm humbled you took the time to listen! Thanks for chipping in your opinion!
    Thanks,
    Peter James