test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How do I level up artificing efficiently?

leedskalninleedskalnin Member Posts: 135 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
How do I level up artificing efficiently?

What are the things I would need? I've been leveling leadership since I started (July 26) and right now it's still 18. Is artificing any better? I really want to get the new orb. Can anyone give tips on what to buy (assets) and what task to do for leveling fast and efficiently?

Thanks!
Post edited by leedskalnin on

Comments

• mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Leadership takes forever to get to level 20. Once it hits level 16 or 17 it just creeps and creeps along, because the highest exp. you get for it is 120 per task (with most tasks taking hours). Even the tasks that give 240 it tends to even out since they often take almost twice as long as the ones that give 120. >.>

Almost all the other professions are much much faster to get to 20, because they all tend to have tasks like "make mithral chain pants from mithral ore" for 500 xp that takes only an hour. So you spam "make ore" a while (longer task) then spam "make pants" over and over.

Alchemy is the one profession that doesn't follow that concept...but artificing does. So in brief ... yes, it'll get to 20 in less time than Leadership. However....outside of making purple pants and shirts and maybe some gear (for which you'll need expensive high lvl assets to get the socket versions) and some ok high lvl potions, Leadership is, in the long run, the most fruitful profession to focus on. Once it's 20 and you have some blue workers, you can max out your rough AD with Leadership alone. While most of the other professions you'll end up doing nothing with. :P
  • dublindandublindan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I started to level it up, but the prices of residuum makes it not worthwhile. That is the key to leveling up fast as possible. The other stuff can be bought off the ah pretty cheap, but residuum seems to run anywhere from 200 to 1000 per residuum. Good Luck
  • frishterfrishter Member Posts: 3,522 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It does take a much quicker time and can be maxed in probably 2-3 weeks or something. Tasks to get materials take 10-30 mins, which gives decent xp (30 xp for 30mins for high levelled gathering ore and wood) however threre;s also mass material gathering for 6hours that gives upto 800xp for the highest levelled one which is very good and doent require as much attention and can be sped up with upto 4 works (~30k AD for blues on beholder AH). +4 and +5 crafting also take 1 hour for 400 xp but needs residuum.
  • mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Coming back to the thread, I realized I misinterpreted the thrust of the OP's question. Sorry about that. :o

So yeah, as mentioned, if you have lots of residiuum, you can make the actual items as you level up, which makes it go fairly fast. But if you don't have a lot of residiuum, but you do have enough workers to fill all your task slots, then using the 6 hour tasks in all slots will still raise it up at a fair pace even with just a bunch of "white" workers.

Do three of the Deep Wilderness for a few runs to build up some of the material first, then three Deep Wilderness and three of the make wood/craft item ones. 800xp x 6 every 5-6 hours isn't a bad pace, and no residiuum required until lvl20 when you want to make whatever it is you want to make.

I personally wouldn't pay for any of the materials myself, unless you're big time AD rich and in a serious hurry to get to 20.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited September 2013
    Leadership is a god awful slow skill to level.
    You really can't use it as a measuring stick for any other profession because if the other professions are racing like rabbits leadership would be snail speed. Not turtle speed, snail speed.

I have level 20 Artificing and have had it for a few weeks now.
    It took only about 3 weeks or so passively (not religiously) level Artificing.

Like most other skills, though, the easiest way to gain experience is to gather and refine supplies. I have not made a single item with my Artificing Profession but rather gathered a ton of materials that I may put to use only to document the varied stats and appearances of the items.
  • yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Leadership takes forever to level for sure. I started all my toons on one profession. I recently hit lvl 20 in leadership, however, all my other toons that did not start with leadership have hit lvl 20 in one, some 2 other professions. The 'deep woods' options for resources has helped this out quite a bit too.

Chances are, you will find better gear than what you can make, unless you have the purple crafting assets. Honestly, i do them more from a 'it is something to do' aspect and am lvling all my toons in Leadership, because that is the end all profession. I used to make some decent diamonds from the items i crafted, but the market is fickle and one week you will sell everything in a few days and he next, you get nothing.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I'm using artificing and will use weaponsmithing to collect materials to feed my constant need for wood for alchemy. The ore is just a bonus, but that'll eventually go for characters who will be levelling mail- and platesmithing.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Gathering is worth a lot of xp. I leveled tailor and plate fairly rapidly and easily by just doing bulk gather task for 800 xp a pop in every slot for a couple of weeks. The first levels (1-6 or so?) you may prefer to make items for xp to unlock the bulk gathering, obviously you can't start doing that at level 0 and if memory serves the lowest tier gather is not worth enough xp to do that exclusively, while the lowest tier items to make use few resources so for sure make stuff in the first levels.
  • tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Bulk gathering FTW. Most professions have 3 levels of them for 50/200/800xp over 6/7/8 hours. Artificing has a slightly different schedule as all those tasks are 6 hours (I wonder if that was intentional or if they should be the same as every other profession). Green and blue workers are extraordinarily cheap too (lowest cost in the game right now); I bought a ton of them and have already flipped a few into Grandmaster's and sold them for a profit. If you can afford it, a good set of blue workers will knock this out in a couple of weeks (4h48m per mass gathering task); run as many of those each day as possible (you should be able to get in at least 4 runs).
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Bulk gathering -sage nods- I've tried "making ALL the things" and all that did was eat up my residuum >_>.

Bulk gathering takes a bit longer to level (more patience required) but in the end it'll make things better, I do believe.

Sadly, on Mindflayer the green and blue workers for artificing aren't a deal, as opposed to going out and buying two grandmasters like I did for around 280k AD total (just did this recently, after sporadically checking. So this may not actually be the case, but it is my experience.)
    contents to be decided
    edited September 2013
    syka08 wrote: »
    Sadly, on Mindflayer the green and blue workers for artificing aren't a deal, as opposed to going out and buying two grandmasters like I did for around 280k AD total (just did this recently, after sporadically checking. So this may not actually be the case, but it is my experience.)

It just depends on when you look. I scooped up a bunch of green artificers at 2500 apiece last night. Prices should be down a bit, at least for the duration of the key sale. And of course they'll be the cheapest of profession dudes for as long as the Fey boxes hold out.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• tinukedatinukeda Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It just depends on when you look. I scooped up a bunch of green artificers at 2500 apiece last night. Prices should be down a bit, at least for the duration of the key sale. And of course they'll be the cheapest of profession dudes for as long as the Fey boxes hold out.

Wow, 2500 is a sonic deal for a green; I think I got most of mine around 5-7k. Also snagged some blues at 19.5k (w00t). Greens are 7-8k currently on Beholder, making the value of a Grandmaster a mere 128k. Of course, the problem with Grandmasters is they only work 1 slot each. Sure they're twice as fast, but I'd rather have 4 runs in 5h(4 blues) vs 2 runs in 6h (1 purple).
    edited September 2013
    I never upgrade blues to purples either.

And yeah, seller of those artificers was underpricing like crazypants, and average prices are more like 7-8k. I got green weaponsmiths for 5k and blue ones for 25k from the same person, who had clearly just opened a run of lockboxes.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Welll sheeeeeit. XD
    Oh well. They'll earn their keep and maybe I'll be able to flip them eventually for a profit.
    contents to be decided