test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why so many Campaigns Missing Sequels on Live?

hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
edited September 2013 in The Foundry
I have recently been writing a guide for my guild about the best Foundries I have run...Many of them have Sequels--but almost all the sequels are missing...

For example the Shadows from the Underdark campaign, the first chapter, Visitors from the underdark shows up, but nothing else, even if you do Author search or alternative spellings.

The Sequel to A fateful Encounter is missing...I could go on and on.

Someone said that after the last patch a bunch of Foundries disappeared, but have been showing up a few a day.
Post edited by hexanna22 on

Comments

• xhritxhrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Perhaps the author might have removed their own quests...
  • hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    Perhaps the author might have removed their own quests...

I would think this except it is for at least 5 campaigns that sequels or chapters are missing.
  • saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    hexanna22 wrote: »

The Sequel to A fateful Encounter is missing...

I know why this one is missing. Zovya took it down due to the ships being bugged after Feywild hit. I'm sure she'll have to revisit it too when they are fixed in a manner that makes her jumping puzzle level completable again.
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    saerrael wrote: »
    I know why this one is missing. Zovya took it down due to the ships being bugged after Feywild hit. I'm sure she'll have to revisit it too when they are fixed in a manner that makes her jumping puzzle level completable again.
    Search shows Zovya hasnt posted in the forums in a month, so I dont expect that quest to return.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • koboldharper88koboldharper88 Banned Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Search shows Zovya hasnt posted in the forums in a month, so I dont expect that quest to return.

She isn't the only popular author missing. Dzogen is gone too, and Bill's Tavern is still broken. The Foundry community took a big hit when that patch ruined most of the better quests.
  • hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, the Foundry is my favorite part of the game, I love great stories, and I am trying to turn others on to it.
    edited September 2013
    She isn't the only popular author missing. Dzogen is gone too, and Bill's Tavern is still broken. The Foundry community took a big hit when that patch ruined most of the better quests.

I have been super busy, have not even opened the foundry since Faywyld. Luckily my quests are still finishable, but I was worried something like this would happen to the community. Hopefully everyone will get their stuff sorted out when they have the time, but it is disheartening to think that all our quests are threatened by bitrot at any point in the future...
  • kithliskithlis Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    xhrit wrote: »
    all our quests are threatened by bitrot

At least we don't have to worry about bookworms... >.>

I've already seen several amazing new quests since the Feywild fiasco, and hopefully other already accomplished authors will find some time in the future to continue. Even if they don't, more stories will be told.
  • celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited September 2013
    It is actually a good thing. The foundry has to be a living breathing ever-changing beast, or it will become stale and become like the game generated content. I have seen some really great stuff over the last few weeks, from previously unknown authors, we need to keep supporting the current authors so that they can move into the best category. At a certain point its all about number of plays. We just need to keep playing the new quests that are working. We have to support each other, and most importantly we have to embrace the authors that are devoting time and energy to produce the quests and keep the energy flowing into the foundry as we move forward.
    edited September 2013
    celantra wrote: »
    It is actually a good thing. The foundry has to be a living breathing ever-changing beast, or it will become stale and become like the game generated content.

No, it is not a good thing. The community needs stability if it is to grow... otherwise tons of great stories will be lost forever.
  • celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited September 2013
    I disagree Xhrit, all living things need to be in a state of change or they will die. This is the fundamental truth of all living things. The foundry community is made up of living, breathing people, and it too must change, and grow, or die. A community cannot be limited to static elements.

You may not realize that many of the people that are gone were, and are my in game friends. I take no joy in not having them around to experience all the wonderful things that are happening in the foundry today. But I also realize that they are not here, they are not updating their content, they are not active in the community. I cannot bring them back. I miss them, but I refuse to look backward, I can only continue to look forward, and hope one day that they will return, and we can adventure together again.

Stability is something to try to attain, I think that change is the reality that we combat in our attempts to clutch at stability. In the foundry communities existence I would expect that it will undergo many stages along the bell curve between stability and change, those changes in themselves will mark a healthy community over time. What is lost is sad, those tales and ideas cannot be replaced. All we can do as authors is to continue to support one another, to help those who are here putting in the effort to tell their tales. This is not a impermanent platform, nor is it permanent, some day the servers will shut down, and all that we have created will be lost. Let us enjoy what we have while we have it.

I do not expect everyone to agree with me, but I felt that I needed to clarify this point, for myself and my own health as an author, better then I did in my previous post. Please do not take any of this personally as its meant simply to help me deal with my own sense of loss.
  • winterswitchwinterswitch Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Well, perhaps there is one group that it is beneficial to, authors who couldn't compete back when we had greats like Zovya and Dzogen sitting on the Best list.

In my opinion the overall trend in Foundry quality is going up, not down.
    The Green Zone (NW-DP66H66F6): Train at a top-secret Goblin military installation.
    Hive Mind (NW-DN9YKEVUS): Get inside a crashed alien ship to discover its purpose.
    Absolute Zero (NW-DOVUXHT8P): Activate a massive teleportation machine to pursue an evil mastermind.
  • zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Right, because, obviously, all that is true and logical in the world tells us that only the people who made foundry quests in and before May of 2013 are good authors. Anyone who didn't start making quests until June, and especially anyone who just started making quests in September 2013, are illiterate imbeciles who can never produce anything but garbage. Thank you, immortal kobold88, for leading us to your all-knowing truths.

/sarcasm off

Meanwhile, back in the real world, there are some extraordinary new quests by both old and new authors. In reference to the OP, a lot of authors started out with the intention of making full-length campaigns, but for whatever reason didn't finish them. There are tons and tons of reasons for not continuing, as with any player of any game, period, including real-life issues that take priority. Just because there are a bunch of level 28 Rogues parked in the shadows of Protector's Enclave doesn't mean something in the game is broken. They are just players that started out with good intentions but never quite made it all the way through.
  • zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited September 2013

In response to the underlined text: I just love how certain people on here keep trying to blame the absence of all these great authors on the authors themselves. It was MODULE 1 that broke all their quests, and caused them to leave disgruntled. For some reason, I keep having to point that out every time someone says or implies it was for some other reason.

True story... Module 1, Fury of the Feywild, DESTROYED my first quest, which was doing quite well on it's own with hardly any advertising. I had to permanently withdraw that quest... but i am still here. The map that i used in that quest, and another in production, was meant to be used in every quest i ever made, but it was ruined. I am still here. I built a new quest, with a new map, and am working on more. And i'm not the only one, there are other authors who's quests were destroyed who chose to rebuild and keep going.

Not to mention, i'm not "blaming" anyone for anything. There is this thing called LIFE that inevitably happens to every one of us at some point. Neverwinter = computer game. Life = real world, what matters.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for taking the time to clear that up. To you and the others who chose to rebuild, good for you. I for one am not going to live in a coastal city below sea level that is going to get flooded every year. I'm pretty sure that's how a lot of the authors who left feel, and we can't blame them for that, or act any better for staying. As for real life, yeah, it's a lot more interesting than this game.

And yet you continue to make accounts to tell us you have moved on. It seems an awful lot of work just to repeat complaints for something you claim to no longer care about.

Also in before this latest kobold gets banned
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Except that the ship is not sinking. It might be stalled in port. Perhaps a bit lost without direction. Or even suffering from mechanical issues. Problems sure, but a far cry from sinking. So to continue to cry wolf, even after being kicked off....several times now, just makes you annoying. And nothing even close to heroic.
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    There's been no sequels to Lost Little Lambs from me because I've spent this entire time fixing everything with it that the Feywild expansion broke.

It's only been in the last week or two that I've actually been able to get started on making a sequel/part 2 of the campaign.

Here. Teaser screenshot of "Old Friends, New Enemies"

2013-09-23_081856_zpsbb419d2f.png

Coming soon! (tm)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    There is a serious problem here that the pro- people are not seeing. It should be relatively obvious to people that created stuff for other games. I'm not going to point it out though because the pro- wont have any of it*, and Cryptic has not shown much interest in design feedback. In about six months or so they will realize what it is and there will be threads about it and what to do, but by that point it will be virtually unfixable.

* I direct people to where people quote the devs and link to the posts where the devs say x, and the reponse is 'well, that person's not a real dev' and 'well, they may have said "x", but what they really meant was "y"'.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.