test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WTB Gold Spam Filter that works!!!!!

lunaeclipse173lunaeclipse173 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited October 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
The title of the thread says it all.

This game is great and all, but it really needs a gold spam filter that works other then relying on you hitting the report spam button.

Surely the programmers can program a simple pattern match that checks messages before they are posted for patterns that are flagged as spam. It would also have to check messages by removing extra spaces that the gold spammers put in their messages to bypass filters, but that shouldn't be too hard, remove all the spaces from a message and then look for character combinations like .com or *******.

Common guys, this is a great game, but you are going to lose players by the bus load if they have to continue dealing with the sheer quantity of gold selling spam that is in the game now. After playing since open beta, I have found that my best skill in the game is not rotations, powers, feats or GS, its how fast I can press the Report Spam button, and that's just sad.

*Edit* I just noticed the forum filters gold selling website names, yet the game can't, that is so sad.
Post edited by lunaeclipse173 on

Comments

• ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    It would be nice not to constantly have to Report Spam while in the Protector's Enclave. Every time I go there, even if only for 5 minutes, I will have a gold spammer's message appear in the chat box. At same point I am sure my Ignored list is going to run out of room, I must be well over 200 at this point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    gold spammers are now required to get creative since most of the ways to spell their web address has been blocked. if you even try to type that URL into chat as a passing comment, you will be warned that your account could be suspended for it. the 2-3 times that i have to report spam in PE now compared to before is nothing. gold spammers is an ongoing battle that you can choose to engage, but you don't have to get involved if you don't want to. a lot of us don't have a problem with fighting the good fight regardless of how ridiculous it might seem.
  • saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It would be nice not to constantly have to Report Spam while in the Protector's Enclave. Every time I go there, even if only for 5 minutes, I will have a gold spammer's message appear in the chat box. At same point I am sure my Ignored list is going to run out of room, I must be well over 200 at this point.

This does raise the question 'is there an actual limit to the ignore list?' I would like to know this if anyone knows, I rather not run into it.

On Topic: I thought there was already a spam filter (not allow over X amount of the same user's messages per Y amount of time)? Perhaps an idea to lower the Y?
  • parovozik86parovozik86 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Easy way to offload much part of goldspammers - open ability to use /zone chat only then character reach lvl 12-15
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    saerrael wrote: »
    This does raise the question 'is there an actual limit to the ignore list?' I would like to know this if anyone knows, I rather not run into it.

On Topic: I thought there was already a spam filter (not allow over X amount of the same user's messages per Y amount of time)? Perhaps an idea to lower the Y?

I believe the cap is 500 ignores.
  • stripiestfilly0stripiestfilly0 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If they do that then they MUST REMOVE PVP BOTS
    Sorcerer.jpg
  • vattaravattara Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Easy way to offload much part of goldspammers - open ability to use /zone chat only then character reach lvl 12-15
    EEK! I dont like the gold spammers either but lower level characters already have some limited chat use. Penalizing new players or new alt's more is not the anwer
  • mbllanes199mbllanes199 Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 429
    edited September 2013
    Set your option to remove the /zone chat..

you will still be able to see the /lfg /trade /party and guild zone.

This is what i do when im on the city.
  • chewdog888chewdog888 Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2013
    If you ban all the Gold Spammers then I wont get messages from them saying "GET A LEFT". I think they ment "GET A LIFE". You can always take out your frustration on the GOLD SPAM foundry :)

I have been messing with Gold Spammers since WoW and APB. In APB you can bust them like criminals, hanfd cuff them and send them a PM saying "GET A LEFT"!
    Gold Spam / NW-DN9QMNKZS
    Bojangles the Rat / NW-DHCBHZKIT
    Flower Ninja / DW-DSKWY24OE
    :p I make comedy foundrys :p
  • hobokenboyhobokenboy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Just remove zone chat from your tabs. Viola. No more spam. At all. Blessed silence. Works like a charm for me.
    I'm unhappy and I can't say why.
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    the way i see it, zone chat needs a level requirement like level 20
    or some sorta requirement to use zone chat.
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    "Great men are almost always bad men."
    “If God is all-powerful He cannot be good, if God is good He cannot be all-powerful!”
  • glacestglacest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »
    IP filters can be avoided, not only that because of the illegality of their actions most Gold Sellers use IP spoofing software anyway. And you end up hurting legitimate players who aren't Gold Sellers.

The cap is far larger than 500. Weeks ago I did a rough count of my ignore list (you can access it through social button or o) and I had over 2000 on my list. Pretty sure by now I have well over 2500. I have no clue if there is a limit tho.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    artanisen wrote: »
    the way i see it, zone chat needs a level requirement like level 20
    or some sorta requirement to use zone chat.

That would be horrible. It would absolutely cripple new players. And do little to nothing to the spammers. They already mass rapid level all the alts they need to farm cash. They have the means and resources to level at rates normal players can only dream of. So what might be an barrier to most players will take but a few hours for them.
  • faerenifaereni Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    In some games I had played you had to have a certain item in order to speak in zone chat, didn't see any spam. Might be something to implement, but it would also hog up another inventory spot and be another sink for seals/gold/ad/whatever. :/
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    faereni wrote: »
    In some games I had played you had to have a certain item in order to speak in zone chat, didn't see any spam. Might be something to implement, but it would also hog up another inventory spot and be another sink for seals/gold/ad/whatever. :/

Here. Scarlet Blade does that with megaphone (you should in all areas) you still get occasional spam, but not as much.

but as for WTB:a way to block gold spammers? good luck, there are many ways to do it, but not many are 100% effective or even 50% (IMO)

filters? there are so many ways to get around it. One of the ways is spelling things differently
    timer? what if you type fast and saying different things in a row? (I do that) and you can get occasional accidental ban that way
    player voting - we learn that is not a good way (STO does this and I do believe NW does it)
    Censorship - It is funny how censorship block out even legit words like ******sin.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I would love to be able to setup my own chat filter, similar to how you can setup rules & filters in an email client...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • walk2kwalk2k Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    turn off ZONE channel, done.

you're welcome
  • artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Here's a thought, could have copy and paste disabled.
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    "Great men are almost always bad men."
    “If God is all-powerful He cannot be good, if God is good He cannot be all-powerful!”
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    artanisen wrote: »
    Here's a thought, could have copy and paste disabled.

Since that would just hurt actual players and have no effect on the spammers who use bots, I really hope they never do that.
  • aquillazxaquillazx Member Posts: 86
    edited September 2013
    The only way to stop the spam , that will not hurt the players eventually, is to take down the websites themselves. Anything other then that will just end up hurting the legit non 24/7 spamming players.
  • drbaalsdrbaals Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    gold spammers are now required to get creative since most of the ways to spell their web address has been blocked. if you even try to type that URL into chat as a passing comment, you will be warned that your account could be suspended for it. the 2-3 times that i have to report spam in PE now compared to before is nothing. gold spammers is an ongoing battle that you can choose to engage, but you don't have to get involved if you don't want to. a lot of us don't have a problem with fighting the good fight regardless of how ridiculous it might seem.

Each gold spam company probly makes 20,000 different accounts. Its a free to play game it doesnt cost anything to make an account. They have people working all day long making accounts that is all they do and lvl them to get to PE. They even buy leadership accounts that have leadership lvl to farm AD with them. They have people working all day just loggin in and out of accounts farming AD with leadership. YOu will never ever ever controll them.
  • magnusvanguardmagnusvanguard Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The title of the thread says it all.

This game is great and all, but it really needs a gold spam filter that works other then relying on you hitting the report spam button.

Surely the programmers can program a simple pattern match that checks messages before they are posted for patterns that are flagged as spam. It would also have to check messages by removing extra spaces that the gold spammers put in their messages to bypass filters, but that shouldn't be too hard, remove all the spaces from a message and then look for character combinations like .com or *******.

Common guys, this is a great game, but you are going to lose players by the bus load if they have to continue dealing with the sheer quantity of gold selling spam that is in the game now. After playing since open beta, I have found that my best skill in the game is not rotations, powers, feats or GS, its how fast I can press the Report Spam button, and that's just sad.

*Edit* I just noticed the forum filters gold selling website names, yet the game can't, that is so sad.

You what someone to sit down and write a script so you don't have to use "Right click, report spam" You lazy prat, go get your mummy to play for you so you don't have to over do it. Idiot!
  • chewdog888chewdog888 Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2013
    drbaals wrote: »
    Each gold spam company probly makes 20,000 different accounts. Its a free to play game it doesnt cost anything to make an account. They have people working all day long making accounts that is all they do and lvl them to get to PE. They even buy leadership accounts that have leadership lvl to farm AD with them. They have people working all day just loggin in and out of accounts farming AD with leadership. YOu will never ever ever controll them.

you are spot on....

You cant even report them for spam now. They logg off now right after message. I have seen a gold spammer message from the same bot over 5 times in a 24 hour period. So they are not getting reported for spam cause they are offline. I assume that is what they are doing.

I think it funny that the Chinese are engaging in capitalism. Adjusting rates, staying competitive etc etc..

Go play the GOLD SPAM foundry. You will laugh, you will cry, and the Gold Spammer bots will DIE!

BTW I think a Gold Spammer is in my guild. I will explain later...
    Gold Spam / NW-DN9QMNKZS
    Bojangles the Rat / NW-DHCBHZKIT
    Flower Ninja / DW-DSKWY24OE
    :p I make comedy foundrys :p
  • xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bluedarky wrote: »

NO its not 500 limit and i can prove it I played star trek online for 3 years and ignored about 500 gold spammers and i am still adding more so there is no limit as far as i know the ignore list i have is from STO and NEVERwinter.
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • axer128axer128 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Theres no way they can craft a filter that can stop every possible permutation.

Fact is people are smart and will find a way no matter how good the filter. Computers are limited to set rules that simpl cant cope.

Lately I see them using all kinds of crazy foreign characters, brackets and slashes - nothing near correct spelling or even english lettering, yet I can still fully understand there url.

It's simply a battle the devs cant win. The best they can do is give us good tools to help us ignore it.
    -Group tools in dire need of improvement, please read and reply to improve our community.
    -Epic Dread Vault Crushed.
    Characters (Dragon): Axer (60 Guardian, Leader of Crush It!), Controller (60 Wizard), Warlocker (60 Warlock)
    edited September 2013
    Cryptic has maid a really really good filter for star trek online i have played for three years and now i do not see any in the chat box at all.The only other spot they started was in the Mailbox system but they fixed that pretty quick.

Star trek online and Neverwinter are the same game mechanics so it should not be that hard to add from sto to neverwinter.
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • j4k06sj4k06s Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The game has full access to the hard drive of the spammers...

If I was one of the game programmers, I personally would have a hard time not to look a little bit inside the spamming PCs ;)

...And "Format c:" does a pretty good job of delaying the next spam message :p

Hehe...

But seriously. You have to be level 12 or something to send a personal message. But any person can spam the whole zone as level 4. How does that add up?

Edit:
    Adding credit card verification for each account would help a lot. Let people pay 1 cent to start playing.
    It would make it much easier identifying spammers and would stop them from making 1000 accounts.
    edited September 2013
    Great Egpal is now spamming Zone as well as WTS.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    xcom43 wrote: »
    Cryptic has maid a really really good filter for star trek online i have played for three years and now i do not see any in the chat box at all.The only other spot they started was in the Mailbox system but they fixed that pretty quick.

Star trek online and Neverwinter are the same game mechanics so it should not be that hard to add from sto to neverwinter.

There is no spam in STO because the gold sellers arn't selling there. It has nothing at all to do with filters and setting. In fact, NW STARTED with the same filters and settings from CO and STO and have had to steadily improve it from there. I dont honestly think you want to go back to what it was originally.
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    The best way to get the spammers to leave is for no one buy from them. Obviously people are buying from them or else there would be no profit and they would leave. Unfortunately people are stupid enough to buy from them because they have to have the gear "RIGHT NOW".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]