test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry-- Hallow's Thicket

scmillerscmiller Member Posts: 40
edited September 2013 in The Foundry
Something Wicked this way comes... A nasty, dark Fairy tale that centers on a demon who steals children from their bedrooms. Macabre atmosphere, and a story that is tight, and interesting. Not typical hack and slash. I have three reviews so far (very positive) and looking for two more. I will happily accept a quest for review in trade. Solo adventure, difficulty is easy to medium... Please let me know what you think and any comments that you have. Honestly, I have done some of the "contest winners" and I truly believe if you do my quest, you will be pleasantly surprised! HALLOWEEN IS APPROACHING! MY GOD, TRY SOMETHING NEW! BELIEVE ME THERE ARE MORE TALENTED AUTHORS OUT THERE BESIDE THE ONES THAT HAVE BEEN PLAYED THOUSANDS OF TIMES!

# Had to replace "child" with sons and daughters since, somehow, the creators find the word "child" offensive.

NW_DRMS5JEGC
Post edited by scmiller on

Comments

• scmillerscmiller Member Posts: 40
    edited August 2013
    I swear it is not a waste of your time....do we not quest?
  • sarlacc1979sarlacc1979 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 47
    edited August 2013
    I'll trade quests with you. I just finished and I really enjoyed your quest with its evil fairy tale feel. The only comments I had were a bit minor. In the the thicket with the witch its a bit difficult to maneuver and find the correct path to the various goals, could you either highlight the "correct" path a bit more or thin out the thicket a little so moving around is easier? In the goblin cave I had trouble spotting the king behind the debris and tents, if you removed either the debris pile or the tent it would be much easier to find him and open up the room for combat. I look forward to playing your quest again and any others you come out with.

Please try my quest as well, The Missing Unseen NW-DLW8SB9CN I hope you enjoy it.
    Please try my Foundry campaign, "Olivia's Trials".
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's wild. My second quest also involved faerie stealing children out of their bedrooms. Heh.

(I've since unpublished, but ... still, funny)
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • adylhereadylhere Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2013
    Really good usage of the light. Some authors tend go for a kinda cheap approach for horror effect with blood, darkness and stuff like that so I like how you’ve created that odd magical weird creepy visuals. But that forest needs lumberman work from you seriously :S It is frustrating to move there. I am not a fan of “take my hand and lead me to the objective” but even I find it frustrating :S
  • chieorichieori Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Greetings!

I ran your quest today, I have to say it was an enjoyable quest. Your detailing in each map was nice and your story kept things moving along. The combat was not to difficult, but appropriate to the steps, nice work.

As mentioned above, I did find the thicket area, somewhat cumbersome to navigate, many parts looked like paths you could take, but were blocked, while some paths you could use, had weird angles to get through them, perhaps thin out a little where the actual paths are supposed to be? I also found this issue inside the cave with some of the large vines on the ground. Even the mobs were having to jump over them, and it looked funny as they jumped like 5-6 feet in the air when they did it.

A few things I noted ... the use of Protector's Enclave .. while I liked the use of the area and the interaction, comments etc. Keep in mind there is a known issue with using this area in the quest. If for any reason you need to change maps, like to laggy or such, this can cause you to lose the quest, which happened to me. I had to log off, then back on to get it back. Not everyone knows this and you may lose some people, thinking its bugged.

At the first goblin camp ... the first set of goblins are just standing there, they are next to rocks, maybe have them hammering? the 2nd set were doing things so looked ok.

Gorrot first meeting ... just says Gorrot on the quest list, have to walk past and behind him to get it to advance to talk to him.

I made a list of the items you interact with, that had the default names still on them, however, I found I was running out of space on my page, really fast, so I'll just sum it up as ... please check every item you ask the player to interact with, they all, save two, have the default name. (ex: just inside the cave, runes on wall ... "Runes - Chalk 08" is the name that comes up in the window title.) The two that didn't have default names ... after entering the depths, the bone pile name is "INV" and the torture cage a bit further in is "Goodone".

A bit of polishing and this quest will be a very nice quest, your doing a great job ;)

If you get a chance, please review my 2nd quest, in my sig.
    Campaign: Ashmadai Incursion
    [1] Devils in the Sewer :|: NW-DQ9WRV8HX :|: Daily Eligible :|: Featured
    [2] The Summoning :|: NW-DGG95NROO :|: Daily Eligible
    [3] Temple of the Winds :| NW-DM5JFJ3UL :|: Daily Eligible

Clan Ravenclaw :|: NW-DU3QXH237 :|: Daily Eligible
    Children's Babble :|: NW-DUD5EUH8A :|: Daily Eligible
    Solstice Academy :|: NW-DRJG6BIZM :|: Daily Eligible
  • docsc00terdocsc00ter Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Played through Hallow's Thicket this evening, and left a review + tip in-game.

Very creepy little adventure! I especially appreciated some of the custom costuming you did for the NPCs and encounters. The witch was appropriately scary, and the large misshapen wights were the stuff of nightmares.

The final dialogue with Gorrot was very moving. Well done!

Some of the quest objectives need to be re-written for clarity. Reading "slab of flesh," "the pit," or "skull pile" doesn't really tell the player what needs to be done. (As a result, I completely bypassed examining the statue and found myself running all the way through the completely barren map of the goblin lairs before realizing I needed to go back to the beginning and look for a sparkling object.)

You might try some lighting effects in the outdoor map with the witch. I wonder what the thicket would look like if illuminated differently in a darkened map.

Speaking of the thicket, I found myself craving hedgeclippers! Navigating the tangled bushes and trees was a chore, and at some point it became more frustrating than fun. While I appreciate the realism of having to push through all those branches, the gaming aspect of it wasn't as welcome.

Also, like someone else mentioned, the first time I encountered Gorrot, I had to walk past him and then step back a bit before the quest objective changed and allowed me to speak with him.

THANK YOU for the adventure!

(If you'd like to trade reviews, I'm still gathering feedback for Danger in the Sky as mentioned in my signature. Thanks.)
    edited August 2013
    I cannot thank you guys enough for your efforts in playing my quest and taking the time to give your comments. Time is precious and you have given me yours...and again, I thank you for that. The suggestions are right on the money...I will especially work on the Thicket ...don't want it to be frustrating. Also, I will for sure embark on your quests that you have offered and give constructive feedback! I have some time tomorrow, so I will perform the quests that have posted so far. I also will make adjustments to Hallows Thicket...
    edited August 2013
    Please keep playing! Any more feedback will be greatly appreciated!
    edited August 2013
    Please..bring on the reviews!!! :)
  • karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    scmiller wrote: »
    Please..bring on the reviews!!! :)

The Foundry needs to bring on your quest first.

Are you living in a bubble scmiller? :p
    edited August 2013
    ...Just noticed--giant fool I am. Karma being thrown my way for being narcissitic.
  • karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    scmiller wrote: »
    ...Just noticed--giant fool I am. Karma being thrown my way for being narcissitic.

Hehe, no worries. And just in case you missed BadBotLimit's message. Do not move your teleporters. There is a bug that has moved them, but it will be fixed and they will be placed in their original positions.
    edited August 2013
    Wohoo! Up and Running--please, please more feedback! :)
    edited August 2013
    I promise you wont regret it--nor is it a waste of your time
    edited August 2013
    C'mon--give it try! Better than the "summer festival" -- no teddy bears and pigs! :)
    edited September 2013
    I stand by how well it is crafted--especially played some other quest that are "heralded" as "well done" ...you will be pleasantly surprised.. try it
  • winterswitchwinterswitch Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Way better than the stupid summer festival. Full tip. I wish I had your gift for map design. And the fingers on Abby...yuck! I hope this quest becomes a hit--it deserves it. Question...what was the music you used for the Sanctuary map? (I might steal it for something of mine.)

Here are some typos and minor things I saw:

--The interact text to get the map from the sewer grate reads as "Press F to You sift through..."
    --Upon first entering the Cave, there's a rubble pile floating a few inches off the floor.
    --For translate more runes, "excitement" is misspelled.
    --At the blood pool, "their" is misspelled.
    --The Goblin King, "pieces" is misspelled.
    --In conversations with Gorrot, the player is looking at his chest instead of his face. It's not a major problem, but it would help immersion if the player could climb a rock or stump before the convo to bring Gorrot to eye level.
    --Gorrot's convo, "mausoleum" is misspelled.
    --Transformation Machine, remove the apostrophe from "its".

All in all, a very fun, technically impressive Foundry. I'd appreciate your feedback on "Hive Mind". Thanks!
    The Green Zone (NW-DP66H66F6): Train at a top-secret Goblin military installation.
    Hive Mind (NW-DN9YKEVUS): Get inside a crashed alien ship to discover its purpose.
    Absolute Zero (NW-DOVUXHT8P): Activate a massive teleportation machine to pursue an evil mastermind.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I tried to play it today but I can't find it, I tried the exact short code and nothing appears :(
    EDIT: found it, I had to search it by the quest name instead.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • mrthebozermrthebozer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hey there scmiller, just finished my playthrough, and PMing my detailed notes in case any are spoilery. This part is hardly a spoiler, though - outstanding work! This is the perfect quest to help get in the mood for Halloween. 5/5 from me for sure, and not the last time I'll be playing it.

You are most welcome to give my new submission TUUM (NW-DR2GL2VJL) a whirl - and it'll even count toward a daily Foundry at this point. Interestingly enough, it is also about exploring the rumored truths behind a supposedly fictional tale, though you definitely run in a very different and awesome direction.

Notes incoming, and thanks for sharing this!
    c447.png
    edited September 2013
    Thanks guys--I will get to your quests today! I very much look forward to them, and appreciate the feedback you have given me--again, I have played more "unpolished" quests (being pc here) than "polished" ones.. so I am always on the lookout for quality.
    edited September 2013
    C'mon ...f-ing play it! :)
    edited September 2013
    it is Saturday, why not quest in the name of Halloween?
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hi! I played your quest and I sent you my play through notes in a PM. I wasn't able to finish it, unfortunately, since I couldn't find the last goblin group to kill in "Kill them All!" I'll hang onto the quest so when you are able to sort it out I can go back to where I was.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
    edited September 2013
    melindin-- that is strange -- I have not had that problem -- I tried it after you pointed out the issue and did not have any problems..i am sorry you have encountered that--I keep trying and perhaps move the goblins further into the room...thanks
    edited September 2013
    YEAH! Hallow's Thicket is now part of the "quest reward" system-- so thank you to all who have played it thus far-- almost finished with the next quest, "A Witches' Moon"
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I finished the quest, sorry for the delay. I was interrupted by real life several times!

I thought it was a great classic scary campfire story. I thought the ending with Gorrot was well written. I also especially liked Bolaris.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
    edited September 2013
    Quit playing the same old adventures! Give Hallows Thicket a shot!