test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hive Mind (NW-DN9YKEVUS)--A Short Sci-Fi Mystery

winterswitchwinterswitch Member Posts: 95 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Foundry Quest Database
I've made an attempt to bring some science-fiction elements to Neverwinter. In "Hive Mind," find your way into a crashed alien vessel in order to determine its purpose. The combat is designed to be soloable. Thanks to all who've played and reviewed it.

There's a bit of reading, especially toward the end.

Short Code: NW-DN9YKEVUS
Average Time: 20 minutes
Amount of Combat: Moderate (some skippable, based on dialogue choices)
Starts at: Any gate in Protector's Enclave
The Green Zone (NW-DP66H66F6): Train at a top-secret Goblin military installation.
Hive Mind (NW-DN9YKEVUS): Get inside a crashed alien ship to discover its purpose.
Absolute Zero (NW-DOVUXHT8P): Activate a massive teleportation machine to pursue an evil mastermind.
Post edited by winterswitch on

Comments

• koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    I don't suppose you can spoil us with some pics of the inside?
  • winterswitchwinterswitch Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I don't suppose you can spoil us with some pics of the inside?

Ha, no way. Gotta play the quest to see that. :p
    The Green Zone (NW-DP66H66F6): Train at a top-secret Goblin military installation.
    Hive Mind (NW-DN9YKEVUS): Get inside a crashed alien ship to discover its purpose.
    Absolute Zero (NW-DOVUXHT8P): Activate a massive teleportation machine to pursue an evil mastermind.
  • saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This certainly took me back to '60s and '70s scifi!
    I see what you mean about your map 2, by the way. Would you like feedback per PM on what I noticed/ any hints I may have?
    edited September 2013
    Saerrael,

Sure, a PM would be great. I appreciate it.
  • saerraelsaerrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Certainly! Sent you a PM just a moment ago. I hope it aids.
    edited September 2013
    Shameless bump.

With reviews back on, I'll of course run anything of yours in trade.
  • nimzowitchnimzowitch Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2013
    Just ran it. Great use of fx. I thought map 2 looked fine, and if you are already at 1480 detail there then I don't see you being able to add much to it anyway. I would like to know how that drawbridge animation works.
  • chewdog888chewdog888 Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2013
    I loved this foundry and gave it a review + 500 ad!

things I think you can do to make it a lil better...

- The Goblin Super-Acid needs moved closer to the door. It was hard to reach to activate.

- Ending ship could use more FX on it aka blue flames

Your ship was really cool. Must of been hard to line up all those brains.

Well done!
    Gold Spam / NW-DN9QMNKZS
    Bojangles the Rat / NW-DHCBHZKIT
    Flower Ninja / DW-DSKWY24OE
    :p I make comedy foundrys :p
  • mytgroomytgroo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 165 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Reminded me a bit of Jack Vance who wrote the Dying Earth. Jack Vance was responsible for creating the Dungeons and Dragons magic system with the idea of progressive memorization of spells. http://arcana.wikidot.com/vancian-magic
    It also was nice to see a little Science Fantasy in the style of Marion Zimmer Bradley, Andre Norton, or Henry Kuttner. Would like to see more of this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fantasy
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I loved it, a very nice variation from the usual fantasy setting, I was curious on how you would make the ship interior, I liked it.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • ephirollephiroll Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This was nice change of pace. 5 stars and full tip.
  • scmillerscmiller Member Posts: 40
    edited September 2013
    Just completed your quest--Hive Mind. By the way, thanks for playing Hallow's Thicket and the feedback you have provided-- your praise was very much appreciated. You asked me how you could make your maps "fuller"...and the biggest suggestion I can give you is, make smaller maps--preferably blank landscapes--yeah, I know it is more work..but the end result is fantastic. I think you have great story telling ability and your use of FX is truly great...I can tell your mind goes far beyond the ability of the foundry. Try smaller maps and use clusters/lighting/ backdrops for a more eloquent feel...reviewed and full tip.
  • chieorichieori Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ran Hive Mind tonight, really liked the quest, lot of detail and great job on the ship. Only noticed a few things, posted them on my thread since you started it there ;) [post=6068521]Review![/post]
    Campaign: Ashmadai Incursion
    [1] Devils in the Sewer :|: NW-DQ9WRV8HX :|: Daily Eligible :|: Featured
    [2] The Summoning :|: NW-DGG95NROO :|: Daily Eligible
    [3] Temple of the Winds :| NW-DM5JFJ3UL :|: Daily Eligible

Clan Ravenclaw :|: NW-DU3QXH237 :|: Daily Eligible
    Children's Babble :|: NW-DUD5EUH8A :|: Daily Eligible
    Solstice Academy :|: NW-DRJG6BIZM :|: Daily Eligible
  • eskarineeskarine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Ok, so I just went through 'Hive mind' and I have to say, looking forward to seeing the first part! You pretty much had me at 'sci-fi', too.

I love the use of some assets - I would have never thought of using bismuth parts like that. And when I had to make a choice about using the weapon, I really wasn't sure if I am making a right decision - very good story telling.

The only thing I could nitpick at are details - I would love to see some more decor, maybe in the mansion area. That does not take away the grin from my face though - awesome quest! :D
  • rumrunner711rumrunner711 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for reviewing my adventure, here's my review of yours!
    Played with: DC.42 + companion

I really enjoyed this adventure, it was very unique. The story is great, I felt bad when the ship was destroyed.
    Combat was overly fun, felt like a decent difficulty.
    Dialog was fine, I didn't notice any errors.
    I liked the design of the alien ship, has that classic tube-shape from stories of encounters/sightings.

Suggestions:
    Maps:
    - At the crash site in the first map, add some smoke - both at the ship and the lava flow.
    - Add some foliage behind and to the right of the minister's house (when looking at it from the shore) it looks bare compared to the forested side.
    - For finding the key in the back yard of the minister's house, instead of having all of the different items glowing, perhaps make it that items only glow if the character has the required skill.
    - Perhaps add some ambient music/sound when exploring the maps.

Nice work, now I'm going to play The Green Zone to get a full feel of the story. :)

A funny little note, I was interrupted when playing the quest two times at the mansion map, so I had to exit the game. When I played the third time, after picking up the colonist, I noticed I was carrying three brains. Heh. Nothing to do about it, just how quest mechanics are.
    My Foundry Quests: Seeking Review Trades!

Campaign: Antiquarian Adventures - NWS-DISZWH28K
    Ch. 1: A Merchant's Woes - NW-DP6ZY8GG6 -LINK
  • mlegermleger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 147 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    i played this the other day, pretty neat. Like the use of the environment you did.
    Thorin Oakenshield - 60 DC | Floki Longarm - 60 TR | Tiny Tank - 60 GWF
    Stand your Ground NW-DNBHK74ML