test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Gold Sellers are getting out of hand

xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
edited September 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Can we please have a fix soon these Gold spammers are getting out of hand in chat we are blocking like 20 at a time every hour.

This problem needs to addressed badly they clog up the servers and make it lag and then clog up the chat.

They don't even play the game they just sit there and spam the chat box.
The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Post edited by xcom43 on

Comments

• sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    xcom43 wrote: »
    They don't even play the game they just sit there and spam the chat box.

They don't even do that. Its why Ignore is useless. The new chat restrictions limit them to only 3 lines of text. So they just spit it out and swap to another character. By the time you have ignored the first one, its pretty much gone forever, with a new account replacing it.

I'm told there is now a limit in place on the number of accounts you can have as single user. Ive been hearing people suddenly having trouble registering more then 5 accounts now. Between this and the chat system changes, its obvious Cryptic is trying to combat this. Its just hard to really lock them out in a game that only requires an email account to play and nothing else.
  • notmuchleftnotmuchleft Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    <Please do not post unsubstantiated defamatory rumours>
    Only two things in this life are infinite. The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former. ~ Albert Einstein
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Adding a limit on how long your account has existed before being able to talk in zone, as well as how frequently you can post into zone, would help. If an account need to exist for at least 24 hours of real or in-game time before it could use zone, it would be a minor nuisance to new players, but crippling to spammers - each throw away account would have to sit around for at least a day before they could use it, thus cutting into their profits. If they could only get 1 line of text per 5-10 seconds, it would also permit players to ignore or report them before they could flood zone chat.

One last thought - we all know the name of the spam site... why not make a blacklist and block all the permutations of wts**** that they use? A CAPCHA (or w/e it's called) that you must answer in order to complete the tutorial may also help.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Adding a limit on how long your account has existed before being able to talk in zone, as well as how frequently you can post into zone, would help. If an account need to exist for at least 24 hours of real or in-game time before it could use zone, it would be a minor nuisance to new players, but crippling to spammers - each throw away account would have to sit around for at least a day before they could use it, thus cutting into their profits.

No, this wouldn't help...here what they would do:

On Monday create a bunch of accounts and characters, level them up enough to be able to chat.
    On Tuesday, create a new bunch, and use Monday's bunch to spam.
    On Wedneday, create a new bunch and use Tuesday's bunch to spam.
    :
    :
    no effect
    Hoping for improvements...
  • aquillazxaquillazx Member Posts: 86
    edited September 2013
    The only way to fix it is to take the websites down ( it's usually the same sites getting spammed over and over) but the chances of that ever happening are slim.
  • dnosrcdnosrc Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The easiest solution would be noone buying from them :p
  • ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    dnosrc wrote: »
    The easiest solution would be noone buying from them :p

This to be honest. If people didn't buy from them, they would no longer make profit from spamming out chat channels, and they would move on to the next game on the list. But, while there is still profit for them, they'll keep spamming.
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • galahad01galahad01 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hello All,

Just wondering....what happens during the log in, as my thought would be that if there is account info checked during this process wouldn't those people who are using the Gold Seller sites be easy to detect?

If I started a new toon today ( Level 1 ) and there was some way to keep track of your days account balance when I logged out, ( Say I got 1000 gold, this could be normal depending on how many characters I have/had. However during my many log ins and log outs during game play if my account balance was tracked and the next time I logged in I all of a sudden have a huge jump in balance then PW/Cryptic would have a very good idea that I am guilty of using such a sight/spammer.

This may be a little harder for the detection of A.D. as it seems that all one would have to do is be blessed enough to get an item that they sold for a few hundred K, or a million. However in hind sight if the guilty party claimed such a thing then I would be all most certain they would check the A.H. logs to see if such a sale took place and by what parties.

And if such a thing took place than alas the Ban hammer god comes down......

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

" May The Wind be Always At Your Back "
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ceryndrion wrote: »
    This to be honest. If people didn't buy from them, they would no longer make profit from spamming out chat channels, and they would move on to the next game on the list. But, while there is still profit for them, they'll keep spamming.
    Hard to blame people for using gold spammers with some of the in game AD pricing structures.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • notmuchleftnotmuchleft Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    <Please do not post unsubstantiated defamatory rumours>

Prove me wrong :)
    Only two things in this life are infinite. The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the former. ~ Albert Einstein
  • ceryndrionceryndrion Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Prove me wrong :)

There is no requirement for me to prove you wrong, there is however a requirement for you to stick to the Rules of Conduct that you agreed to upon registering for these forums. If you feel you are unable to keep your posts within the rules of conduct. Please refrain from future posting.
    I reject your reality and I substitute my own!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of Perfect World Entertainment, or Cryptic Studios
    [ Rules of Conduct - Terms - FAQ - Support Centre - Important Stuff ]
  • sturuckusprimesturuckusprime Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    He got told. Though I'd like to know what he posted. lol. As far as gold spammers, they suck.
  • ocampusmaximusocampusmaximus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    What about having in-game admins with banning authority? Those spamming <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> would fall like flies.

They are really annoying indeed. Probably got pissed because of the changes to stuff purchased with glory and seals.
  • aquillazxaquillazx Member Posts: 86
    edited September 2013
    galahad01 wrote: »
    *snip*

While that sounds good in theory, it would require a ton of effort in reality to keep track of every account's logs and it'd take even more time to check if a player traded an item for gold or not. :(
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Who needs gold? I have so much now that I'm not running T2s anymore. All I need is AD.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    same here, dont need much, they only good for buying kits and potions, not much else.
    i need lot of AD too.

maybe they want "suckers" to buy them and realized there isnt much they can use with.
    i would avoid them and dont even try to visit, it may have keylogger hidden ready to download into your PC to be infected and search for accounts.
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I don't know if anyone else suggested it, but I have see this in other games. You are restricted to post more then a few words per message (3 maybe) in the Zone chat and you must wait 6 seconds before you can post another message and you have this restriction till you get to level 30. It kinda sucks for legitimate players, but I think it would help with gold spammers problem.
    I hope that made any sense, I am dead tired.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    honestly, three lines of spam is a hell of a lot better than how it used to be. plus sometimes zone chat is just a bunch of ppl blowing off steam anyway ever since the trade and lfg channels were implemented. you can always hide zone chat or hang out at the festival or sharandar... spammers seem to spend most of their time in protector's enclave.
  • koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    What about having in-game admins with banning authority? Those spamming <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> would fall like flies.
    They can, last time an in-game admin showed up and did it, someone made a thread with pictures of the admin.