test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Construction 101 - Building a tavern from scratch.

2»

Comments

• Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's no "tavern" -- that's a Resort Destination. :cool:

I can only imagine the owner is a very successful retired adventurer.
  • Options
    raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Haha. 3D editing takes some of the frustration out of this sort of thing, but really, 3D editing isn't the key to making a map like this.

The key to making a map like this is creativity and imagination and seeing the base assets in the Foundry and thinking of how to use them.

and @eldarth: You think so? I thought it looked pretty crappy and run-down to me!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    boudicciaboudiccia Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Let us know when the quest version of this is published. I would like to do a play through of this tavern.
    Try my Foundry: Claiming the Halfling Quarter NW-DIRT5MWZH
    Sequel: The Return to Sloping Street NW-DACVPHGHW
    Part 3: The Merchant's Tower NW-DC3LB6TZ9
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I'll republish it when I get out of work tonight. I had a version up but it got taken down when Feywild went live.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Okay, it's published. Short code is: nw-dsgjbnsxb

You can only find it by searching in the 'For Review' tab, since it's not really a real quest. You have to use the 'Advanced' search options and put the short code directly into the short code search box.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ootyfastootyfast Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    G'day,

I started building my own 2 story house after reading the start of your post raphaeldisanto,
    shame I didn't read more of it as you went along, but I was building my new party house.

Sent it live late yesterday and discovered that the monsters on the ground floor all ran to the
    basement and the proceeding carnage of me and my friend was epic!!

Took it back into edit, removed what I thought was the offending units, the friendlies that are going
    to follow you into battle, removed a few monsters, went back on live with 2 other mates and some
    of the upstairs came down, but amazingly at the other end of the building, basement ones came up
    to ground floor :eek:.

So I came back in here to read your post some more and just saw the bit about having to put in
    invisi floors and stuff. 7 x 40' long and 4 x 40' wide, floor, middle, roof already stacked on top of
    each other, so crowded on that map now, this is going to be a long day repairing this.
    Wish I had known these monsters were going to agro up and down thru the 5' foot floor/roof lol
    Sure was not expecting that.

If you want to have a look at my fantastic party house it is Ooty Shot The Sheriff NW-DMMH78R85

And again thanks raphaeldisanto you inspired me to build my own house :cool:

Ootyfast Tearaway
    castle020.jpg
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    As a long-time builder of custom sets in STO, I am impressed by your build. It can be a challenging and time-consuming process. This set is really nice.

One thing that we have in STO that I don't see around these parts are building block platforms. Basically they are very large flat floors and ceilings (although they look terrible as Trek ceilings). You guys should request them, considering it seems like your floors and ceilings are kind of a resource hog.

Otherwise I'm jealous of the props you folks have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the feedback!

We have some options, depending on the look you're going for.

Crypt floors work well for big stone slabs, and we have some wooden options that say 'trim', but really are big slabs of wood, hehe.

And ooty, I'm glad to have inspired you, but credit where credit is due: it was drum that suggested the invisible walls!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited September 2013
    Some floor bits have collision, and block aggro, and some do not. Invisible walls will always have collision, and block line of sight. The Trim bits from the PE building set work excellent for floors and do have collision. I have noticed that with Fury some floor pieces that did not have collision before, certainly do now. This means not only will they not allow aggro but you can use projectors and such against them properly.
  • Options
    ootyfastootyfast Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    G'day,

Well a couple of days to put invsi walls everywhere, that was very ambitious thinking.

After 2 days of playing that game and still having mobs break from up top and thru walls I decided

best solution was a rebuild from the ground up using not only PE walls, but every wall, every floor tile

had invis put with it, just in case. So 5 days later, rebuilt, played thru in foundry no breakouts everything fine

Go live and exactly the same problem as before, upstairs breaking out coming down, downstairs breaking out

coming up, some trying to break out thru walls.

Now I may be crazy or something, but no matter what I do, apart from making stuff not spawn till you get

upstairs they seem to break, even with floor/ceiling having invsi walls on it.

There does seem to be the same old landscape bug we had 2 or so weeks ago with disappearing mobs

and landscape, and one of my earlier one's that is a generic outa the box map had one part agro from

other side of a wall as well. So I now think that it is possible this is a server side bug related to the

landscape/mob breakage bug?

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Anyone else having a problem with invisi walls not stopin the line of site?

I mean someone in here said PE walls stop this stuff, all PE walls in the new build plus invsi and still probs.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. If you want to look at it, take some healing kits and health

pots tho LOL NW-DKSATTZAW ooty shot the sheriff

ootyfast
    castle020.jpg
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Are you using patrol paths? Make sure they are exactly where you want them -- when I was working with timers I had mobs teleport over vanished platforms to continue their patrol path on the other side. I've also seen them "leap" over 10-15' invisible walls.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I, thankfully, never encountered the issue :)

All of my combat in the tavern takes place in the fighting pit, in the basement, and it's spawn-on-demand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wintersmercywintersmercy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is a great guide. It burns that - 4 months on - there is still no way to create transparent windows except through careful mass positioning of walls to lealve gaps. Such an obvious asset that doesn't exist.