test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Update Regarding Nightmare Lockbox

Comments

• Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2013
    The problem with other "competitors" is that this game is still free to play. There is nothing stopping anyone from playing this and other games. Granted I could never do that, as I have a one MMO sized attention span.

I've been known to play more than one MMO at a time. In fact I usually do. But I've never had enough money to actually pay for more than one at a time.
    Until yesterday Neverwinter was the only MMO I had been playing and paying for. Now, I'm looking for another game to spend some money on.
    And the funny thing is that I think the expansion looks great.
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The problem with other "competitors" is that this game is still free to play. There is nothing stopping anyone from playing this and other games. Granted I could never do that, as I have a one MMO sized attention span.

I am just doing that , and I have allways played other games beside this one. Wow but I am happy to pay for that other game bear like martial artist and all:p at least I get what I pay for
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The game was fun, not anymore, will probably log in once in a while when i'm bored but defitnely saving $$ for new console at christmas because of this.
  • Options
    tranglectranglec Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    When I saw what was going on (with all the Admin messages about people winning horses there wasn't much else to see on the screen), I just shrugged and didn't try to exploit that bug because I was sure something like that can't possibly be rewarded. I was sure there would be a rollback or some other measure to rectify the situation, so I didn't open a single box.
    Serves me right, I guess, for thinking the developers and admins are doing their job properly.
  • Options
    bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    djarkaan wrote: »
    The game was fun, not anymore, will probably log in once in a while when i'm bored but defitnely saving $$ for new console at christmas because of this.

What you getting? I'm getting PS4 can't wait for destiny! I so wish it was coming to PC. --- Back to topic, I will still spend a little cash on Neverwinter it is still in my eyes a really great game. I will not support the lock boxes from now on, except times where I'm drunk and don't know what I'm doing.

Please test the new class or classes and get them ready to ship out, we really need more.
  • Options
    somedogesomedoge Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2013
    bobcat1313 wrote: »
    What you getting? I'm getting PS4 can't wait for destiny! I so wish it was coming to PC. --- Back to topic, I will still spend a little cash on Neverwinter it is still in my eyes a really great game. I will not support the lock boxes from now on, except times where I'm drunk and don't know what I'm doing.

Please test the new class or classes and get them ready to ship out, we really need more.

The problem with this is that the game is going to be long dead before you see any new classes. I for one would not spend a penny on this game.
  • Options
    sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    somedoge wrote: »
    The problem with this is that the game is going to be long dead before you see any new classes. I for one would not spend a penny on this game.

Yeah, I think this game is headed right down the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-chute into the cauldron of the abyss. Long after it's history, this incident is what the MMO community will remember most when they think of Neverwinter.
  • Options
    raath13raath13 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    More then 24 hours since the patch, a 60 page thread on the forums, headed into the weekend, and there's been no response from Cryptic about this?

Other then unsticking this thread with hopes of it just going away?

Poor form, Cryptic.......poor form.

But make sure you have a great weekend!
  • Options
    battlestationvbattlestationv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    if they gave everyone one would that be ok
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Well amidst the chaos, the banhammering, and the constant pruning; I think it's safe to say this.

We all know by now that the outcome of the events over the course of the last day are going to go down in history among a select group of players and the entire MMO developer community.

This has been a fiasco and they butchered the emergency evacuation plan. So to speak.

The measures it would take to rectify the situation would include them making another public statement, going back on their word and looking even more foolish. While this would put a bandaid on the wound, I'm pretty sure the damage has already been done. Apparently PWE/Cryptic does things like this all the time and somehow people keep playing their games but I for one have learned my lesson!

Now to sit back and watch the world burn.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    Let's go over some facts about the Rules of Conduct and moderation. Please read them completely as they are very much important to why posts get removed. :)

1) Do not discuss moderation. Those posts have NOTHING to do with this thread of the topic at hand. :D
    Section V - Forum Rules / Disciplinary Actions

. . . . If you have any questions regarding rules, disciplinary actions, user bans, or even a thread move, please use the Customer Support Ticketing System or PM function of the board to contact us. Discussions of the Rules and Forum Moderation on the Forums is not allowed.

2) If you respond to a violating post your post may be edited or removed depending on the situation.
    Rule 3.07 - No Replying to Rule Violations
    . . . . It is inappropriate to respond to Rule Violations. Unfortunately, we cannot always provide Moderator coverage of the forums 24/7. Rule Violations will happen and will be taken care of when the first available Moderator is able to get to it. We ask that you respect the Rules and instead of replying to them, report them to us instead via the "Post Report" button on the bottom left of the offending post.

3) There's an entire section dedicated to signatures. Please read them as it may clear up why some posts are seemingly removed without warning or reason.

4) Community Mods are not permitted to "delete" posts. Posts are "removed" from the thread and we keep detailed records of all moderation out of public sight or in the Lower Depths.

5) To expand on point 4, if your post vanishes it does not mean it is deleted. before you start questioning try actually searching your post history. Chances are if it wasn't a major issue it's still visible but no longer within the thread you posted it in. :)

Now, my patience is sadly wearing thin and that really is saying a lot coming from me. The moderators can literally refresh the page to find violations in this thread and it's been going on all day and all of last night nearly nonstop.

This is your final warning: Keep this thread about the lockbox issue or it will be closed. :(
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ^^ Loopholes. ^^

That is how PWE/Cryptic gets away with so much. Especially with this lockbox fiasco.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Let's go over some facts about the Rules of Conduct and moderation. Please read them completely as they are very much important to why posts get removed. :)

1) Do not discuss moderation. Those posts have NOTHING to do with this thread of the topic at hand. :D

2) If you respond to a violating post your post may be edited or removed depending on the situation.

3) There's an entire section dedicated to signatures. Please read them as it may clear up why some posts are seemingly removed without warning or reason.

4) Community Mods are not permitted to "delete" posts. Posts are "removed" from the thread and we keep detailed records of all moderation out of public sight or in the Lower Depths.

5) To expand on point 4, if your post vanishes it does not mean it is deleted. before you start questioning try actually searching your post history. Chances are if it wasn't a major issue it's still vieable but no longer within the thread you posted it in. :)

Now, my patience is sadly wearing thin and that really is saying a lot coming from me. The moderators can literally refresh the page to find violations in this thread and it's been going on all day and all of last night nearly nonstop.

This is your final warning: Keep this thread about the lockbox issue or it will be closed. :(

I think it's good that you're enforcing the Rules of Conduct on this forum. Rules are important. Hey, since you seem the enforcing-rules type, could you perhaps convince your bosses that they should enforce the Rules of Conduct in the game that the players who took advantage of the Nightmare Lockbox issue clearly violated? You seem like the right person to take charge of the issue!
  • Options
    braanubraanu Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2013
    It's going nonstop because people are fed up with how this company cares for it's Zen Market more than it's players.

Nobody likes blatant censorship either. You waited for the boards to die down some last night, then you cleaned house clearing up EVERY thread that had anything negative in it's thread title to make the board look as if nobody was upset by the patch.

Then you sticky this thread with the excuse of "consolidation of rants" or however you want to PR spin it.

On top of that, every thread that was created after that point was removed so to keep a clean look of no disgruntled customers on the General Discussion thread list.

It's a typical PR move, but with how upset people are with the actions taken by nerfing, exploiting, and not rolling back, can you blame them?

You're the one who picked this job, now you have to do it. Don't be irate at your customers. Ask your boss what you're supposed to do now to turn the situation around.

Don't hand out post deletions, punishments, and hostile threats towards your customers.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2013
    it will be closed. :(

Cryptic dream come true.

If the Devs aren't going to do anything about this, you might as well just toss out any illusions of consumer feedback right now, delete the thread, and send us all to another game.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    Cryptic dream come true.

If the Devs aren't going to do anything about this, you might as well just toss out any illusions of consumer feedback right now, delete the thread, and send us all to another game.

Yeah, nothing will be done. I've been looking at other MMOs all afternoon. I'll never play another PWE game again.
  • Options
    silvernitesilvernite Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    From what I'm hearing, the problem didn't last long.

Many times when new things are released, a lot of people end up buying the items as soon as they can. Most didn't intentionally exploit it.

I have to agree with their decision in this matter.

FYI: I wasn't one the the so called lucky ones, I wasn't even on and I haven't gotten anything. Compensation should not be given to us in this situation.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    silvernite wrote: »

Many times when new things are released, a lot of people end up buying the items as soon as they can. Most didn't intentionally exploit it.

FYI: I wasn't one the the so called lucky ones, I wasn't even on and I haven't gotten anything. Compensation should not be given to us in this situation.

My good man, you simply don't have your facts straight on this one ...
  • Options
    savagedeaconsavagedeacon Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2013

It is not the problem by itself: I have bought all 3 major packs so I have not one but 3 fast mounts and I was not interested in the nightmare mounts. It is the way that they handled it.
    If they should have started this very tread with a message like this one:" We have done a big mistake so many players that opened the lockboxes were flooded with nightmare mounts. We stopped this so fast like we could, but the damage was done. Rest assured that this will never again happen and our apologies to every player" much of the rage would have not boiled up
  • Options
    zaflartzaflart Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is what makes micro-transaction-based mmos so bad, for the consumer. No recourse for mismanagement. Try to file a dispute with PayPal and your Neverwinter account will be banned before you can log on. (Read the consumer complaints, on the BBB site).

I've considered spending some cash, on Neverwinter. I'm glad I didn't. This fiasco has shown me how little Cryptic values it's paying customers after the point sale.

It would seem having an 'F' rating with the Better Business Bureau, Cryptic would learn not to be so negligent.
  • Options
    joebaejoebae Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 40
    edited August 2013
    Yes that is quite the advantage. I can see how having 10-20 of the same mount would give quite the advantage in PVP. And the drop rate wasnt an advantage it was a mixup in coding. The only advantage would be that they have more items they can try to sell then you do. Boo hoo.

Let's try it this way:
    You farmed AD for 100 key or bought 100 keys in the Zen store and got 1 mount out of it.
    Someone who knew the exploit bought 10 keys and got 10 mounts, but that was not the only incident, others where doing the same thing.
    You decide to put your mount on the AH but can't get it sold for a descent price because exploiters keep pushing down the price.
    Always keep in mind that nothing can change on that it was an exploit.

The same goes for people exploiting end game dungeons (still possible) to sell the BoE loot on the AH.
    Those people also push the market price down, which is unfair for those who run the dungeons as intended, the developers never intended them to be exploited you know.

Regarding http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?448281-Lockbox-bug
    This also occurred on Mindflayer up to 14 days before Feywild went live.
  • Options
    danielztdanielzt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    60 pages already, still no feedback from the devs
  • Options
    wjwellerwjweller Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2013
    zaflart wrote: »
    This is what makes micro-transaction-based mmos so bad, for the consumer. No recourse for mismanagement. Try to file a dispute with PayPal and your Neverwinter account will be banned before you can log on. (Read the consumer complaints, on the BBB site).

I've considered spending some cash, on Neverwinter. I'm glad I didn't. This fiasco has shown me how little Cryptic values it's paying customers after the point sale.

It would seem having an 'F' rating with the Better Business Bureau, Cryptic would learn not to be so negligent.

Shouldn't PWE have the 'F' rating though? Don't you think Cryptic's hands are tied with a lot of the cash shop issues? After all it's PWE's model not Cryptic's. Just something to think about. I've seen the reputation of good dev teams ruined when CS models were introduced to successful games, yet the Dev team normally doesn't handle that end of the product.

The lockbox bug is definitely as coding error though... how they're allowed to handle it is most likely limited by PWE.
  • Options
    tidalwave082tidalwave082 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For the record, Cryptic has created and stuck with the cash shop model since Champions came out way back when and that game was a sub only at first, same STO. Cryptic is just as interested in it, if not more so than PWE or who ever has or will own them. It's a model they've built into their games from the get go even before PWE, if PWE has brought anything to the table it's a secondary currency in game that can be traded in FOR the cash shop currency (with huge sink holes) and the lockboxes (I think)

wjweller wrote: »
    Shouldn't PWE have the 'F' rating though? Don't you think Cryptic's hands are tied with a lot of the cash shop issues? After all it's PWE's model not Cryptic's. Just something to think about. I've seen the reputation of good dev teams ruined when CS models were introduced to successful games, yet the Dev team normally doesn't handle that end of the product.

The lockbox bug is definitely as coding error though... how they're allowed to handle it is most likely limited by PWE.
  • Options
    wjwellerwjweller Member Posts: 91
    edited August 2013
    For the record, Cryptic has created and stuck with the cash shop model since Champions came out way back when and that game was a sub only at first, same STO. Cryptic is just as interested in it, if not more so than PWE or who ever has or will own them. It's a model they've built into their games from the get go even before PWE, if PWE has brought anything to the table it's a secondary currency in game that can be traded in FOR the cash shop currency (with huge sink holes) and the lockboxes (I think)

Noted. I never played anything from Cryptic before I'll admit.

I've played PWE games before this one and always considered them having the more P2W CS model. Which I despise. I deal with it in Neverwinter because I've always loved the Forgotten Realms campaign. I also could care less about end game, and being uber.

I really just like the mood of the game and the story telling - crafting is atrocious however.

On the other hand the Foundry is amazing. That's a great innovation. Gives it a table-top feel. I hope they fix the teleporter issue soon. It's a real bummer to see they even broke player quests with this patch. Argh.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    wjweller wrote: »
    On the other hand the Foundry is amazing. That's a great innovation. Gives it a table-top feel. I hope they fix the teleporter issue soon. It's a real bummer to see they even broke player quests with this patch. Argh.

While I do not agree with the "table-top" feeling, I have played some awesome foundry quests. Unfortunately it was a good idea in the wrong hands. I would have much more preferred they gave us a large foundry update than this ridiculous module.

Rollback the whole thing please. Give us more foundry stuff.
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    somedoge wrote: »
    While I do not agree with the "table-top" feeling, I have played some awesome foundry quests. Unfortunately it was a good idea in the wrong hands. I would have much more preferred they gave us a large foundry update than this ridiculous module.

Rollback the whole thing please. Give us more foundry stuff.
    They did update the Foundry. Much of it's broken now.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    They did update the Foundry. Much of it's broken now.

No, no, no. We got lucky!
  • Options
    spanky2014spanky2014 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 78
    edited August 2013
    Argument for Cyrptic/PWE doing nothing - The amount of mounts obtained was insignificant so we let it go. If it was so insignificant, check the logs from that time frame where the exploit happened and fix it. Should be an "easy" fix if it was insignificant right? What Cryptic/PWE are doing is in bad faith to the player base there is no question about it and this will lead to people leaving, especially paying customers.

To me, this is a very small issue of the problem with Neverwinter right now... but that is for a different thread...
  • Options
    spudviciousspudvicious Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Sir, you were not on during this fiasco. I was. I saw the ridiculous multitude of "so-and-so has won a mount" spam from admin. I saw multiple moments where the same name kept coming up for a bunch of mounts. I saw the zone chat as more and more people caught on to the bug/exploit, and realized they could do the same thing, and subsequently did follow suit.

While there may have been some honest folk that were doing just what they normally would have been doing if there were no bug, there were a LOT of people who did exploit the situation. That's why I'm not even calling for bans/punishment. I do, however, think the situation should be reversed. account by account and manually if necessary (or hopefully by script, that's a lot of work). that and I think most of all, the company seriously must make it a point how wrong this behavior was and at least warn them that this won't be tolerated in the future, and then stand by that next time this happens. it will happen again, somehow.
This discussion has been closed.