test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Evening Maintenance - 08/22/13

cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey adventurers,

We need to take down the servers at 10pm PDT (Pacific) to patch a few issues with the game as well as add some additions. After this maintenance, Sun Elves will be a playable race for all players for free! I'll have the full set of patch notes once maintenance begins and update you on this thread with any updates.

When does maintenance start for you? Click here for a time converter. The expected downtime is 1 hour, but may be extended due to any unforeseen issues.

Sorry for the short notice.

Thanks,
Pin

Update 1: Patch notes are available here.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited August 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    what about the foundry?!?!?!?!?!

We're working to bring it back up as soon as we can.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2013
    What about the Nightmares? I hope you've only put this issue off til a reasonable solution was found, because ignoring it is not a solution.
  • cmpinpointerrorcmpinpointerror Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 646
    edited August 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    What about the Nightmares? I hope you've only put this issue off til a reasonable solution was found, because ignoring it is not a solution.

Hi, ranncore. We posted a statement here regarding the influx of Nightmare mounts.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2013
    Hi, ranncore. We posted a statement here regarding the influx of Nightmare mounts.

I read it. There are 36 pages of unhappy customers responding to the statement, of which I am one of.
    I don't know how to do fancy hyperlinks, but I can copy and paste.

"Terramak responded to literally hundreds of bug reports - it looks as if he logged on, scrolled through them, and spent what was probably his personal time responding to each and every little one, trying to find information.

Bugs get missed. That's not my problem with this issue. The problem is that they have completely failed to respond to it.

During the Caturday event, a catastrophic bug of similar proportions was missed, but Cryptic FIXED it. They rolled back the servers, they compensated EVERY SINGLE PLAYER.

What gives? Is the game not important anymore? If they had responded to this in the same manner they responded during Caturday, I'd be a happy customer, DESPITE the bugs. But I'm not, because they ****ed up this time.

Bugs can happen to anyone. I don't walk away from a company because of bugs in their software. I walk away when those bugs are misshandled."

I'm unhappy because I paid good, real money for keys, to get a Nightmare mount. I never got one. Players took unfair advantage of a bug in software code that allowed them to access what I could not. I'm positive this is against your Terms of Service.

Calling exploiters "lucky" is not a solution.
  • coolshades5coolshades5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Thank you for working so hard guys, I really enjoy this game and have only been happy with all of the work you have done!

Hoping you guys have an easy rest of the week!
  • tigerbametigerbame Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sun Elves will be a playable race for all players for free WTF i pay RL mony to play the RAce befor all. not just one 1day. WTF are you doing. Wel this is just one mroe way to loss alot of player on. but what do you care Nw. you like all to use exploite
  • sedryntyrossedryntyros Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm unhappy because I paid good, real money for keys, to get a Nightmare mount. I never got one. Players took unfair advantage of a bug in software code that allowed them to access what I could not. I'm positive this is against your Terms of Service.

Well put.

cmpinpointerror, this isn't going to just evaporate because you call exploiters "lucky", but many of your paying customers will indeed disappear if somebody with some common sense in your organization doesn't step forward and properly address the problem.
  • chidy1776chidy1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yea im still mad about the mounts because i opened over 60boxes during the mystice week and didnt get a mount. Just like all the boxes ive opened in the past. Also what is the downtime duration? Love this games gameplay but get frustrated at alot of the issues.
    Paul 60 guardian fighter on mindflayer.

Rising Star, fun friendly, community focused guild on mindflayer. We strive to help each other and enjoy the game together. Talk to me for info, or feel free to check and join our community at risingstarneverwinter.enjin.com
    edited August 2013
    tigerbame wrote: »
    Sun Elves will be a playable race for all players for free WTF i pay RL mony to play the RAce befor all. not just one 1day.

I think you are mistaken. Moon elves remain exclusive to those who purchased the the expansion pack. Sun elves, like it has been stated many times, were always intended to be free.
  • ajr2355ajr2355 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16
    edited August 2013
    am i the only one crashing every 5 min.? (in spellplague)
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The issue with the lockboxes from my understanding was a very short amount of time passed before the servers were quickly brought down. The Caturday issue was like 7 hours so a rollback was performed. Due to a short time frame here for lockboxes no rollback was required.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    tigerbame wrote: »
    Sun Elves will be a playable race for all players for free WTF i pay RL mony to play the RAce befor all. not just one 1day. WTF are you doing. Wel this is just one mroe way to loss alot of player on. but what do you care Nw. you like all to use exploite

Moon Elves you have to buy with the pack. Sun Elves was always going to be free. Should actually look into it first
    edited August 2013
    I read it. There are 36 pages of unhappy customers responding to the statement, of which I am one of.
    I don't know how to do fancy hyperlinks, but I can copy and paste.

"Terramak responded to literally hundreds of bug reports - it looks as if he logged on, scrolled through them, and spent what was probably his personal time responding to each and every little one, trying to find information.

Bugs get missed. That's not my problem with this issue. The problem is that they have completely failed to respond to it.

During the Caturday event, a catastrophic bug of similar proportions was missed, but Cryptic FIXED it. They rolled back the servers, they compensated EVERY SINGLE PLAYER.

What gives? Is the game not important anymore? If they had responded to this in the same manner they responded during Caturday, I'd be a happy customer, DESPITE the bugs. But I'm not, because they ****ed up this time.

Bugs can happen to anyone. I don't walk away from a company because of bugs in their software. I walk away when those bugs are misshandled."

We totally hear you on that. A rollback was one of the options we considered for the Nightmares, but please keep in mind that Caturday was a major, major issue with a huge influx of ill-gotten Astral Diamonds. If we did not take the servers down and roll back then, it would have collapsed the Astral Diamonds economy. And, Caturday resulted in a day (if I recall correctly) of downtime.

We had to weigh that option carefully versus our other choices. Ultimately, we decided that addressing the issue immediately was the most important. We felt that any player who was lucky enough to unlock a Nightmare mount because of something that was on us this morning should be able to keep it.

This isn't something we decided on a whim. These decisions are very difficult to make and many factors are involved from players to the devs. And, please remember that we make them with only the community and players' best interest in mind. Hopefully, that clarifies some things for you.
  • myriddmyridd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Um, you probably paid for the Moon elves. thats what came with the Feywild pack. the Sun elves were not for sale, and never in a pack and I think were always meant to be free.
  • spudviciousspudvicious Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    The issue with the lockboxes from my understanding was a very short amount of time passed before the servers were quickly brought down. The Caturday issue was like 7 hours so a rollback was performed. Due to a short time frame here for lockboxes no rollback was required.

the short time actually, by the reckoning of most companies that I've seen do rollbacks, makes it easier to do and makes the situation less impactful overall. the many hours rolled back for Caturday showed that, at that time, they saw this as a serious enough issue that it was necessary to roll back what was (for many people) a huge amount of progress in play. Here, now, for whatever reason (I think a few of the theories brought up are probably true), Cryptic might as well be saying that they don't think this was actually much of a problem.

And now, it's been nearly a day, and it's pretty much too late to reasonably roll back now. somebody left this going waaaaay too long, imo.

rhoric wrote: »
    Moon Elves you have to buy with the pack. Sun Elves was always going to be free. Should actually look into it first

totally separate issue, I know, but this is growing to be a pet peeve of mine. Why didn't they switch Sun Elves and Moon Elves around on this? Lorewise, Moon Elves are WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY more common than Sun Elves and are much more likely to be found in a place like Neverwinter, while the reclusive and elitist Sun Elves normally sequester themselves on their private island nation to show off their tans to each other while feeling above everybody else. Sorry, I can't help but rant about this every time I see it.
  • vhalantruvhalantru Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    who the fook is this kiss@ss? is anyone not recognizing how many disgruntled paying customers are irked at the nightmare exploit?
    edited August 2013
    We totally hear you on that. A rollback was one of the options we considered for the Nightmares, but please keep in mind that Caturday was a major, major issue with a huge influx of ill-gotten Astral Diamonds. If we did not take the servers down and roll back then, it would have collapsed the Astral Diamonds economy. And, Caturday resulted in a day (if I recall correctly) of downtime.

We had to weigh that option carefully versus our other choices. Ultimately, we decided that addressing the issue immediately was the most important. We felt that any player who was lucky enough to unlock a Nightmare mount because of something that was on us this morning should be able to keep it.

This isn't something we decided on a whim. These decisions are very difficult to make and many factors are involved from players to the devs. And, please remember that we make them with only the community and players' best interest in mind. Hopefully, that clarifies some things for you.

Indeed, the Caturday event was rather catastrophic. And I think you guys handled it in a GREAT way. Like I said, I don't mind even the most catastrophic bugs, if they are handled well.
    I do not think you have handled this well. At all.

Many players were lucky this morning. Many were making a calculated decision to exploit an accelerated drop chance that they had been aware of for a week, and others, on noticing this bug, took advantage of it in the same way. They were lucky in that they were not punished for exploiting.

But I wasn't one of those people. I witnessed just how devastating to the economy the events of Caturday were, and despite that I had excess zen, and excess cash to spend on zen, I chose to forgo exploiting this bug because I knew that while it would have been profitable to me, it was bad for the game.

I'm sure the exploiters are very happy with your decision. But many loyal customers, who witnessed and willingly withdrew from taking advantage of this - those are the people who got burned with your decision.

I know these are tough choices. And what's done is done. But there's still more to do. Leaving us unhappy doesn't have to be the end of it. Make it right.
  • jedite2012jedite2012 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Is this why you have a beta for the expansion, why release if it live if it still had bugs in it. wanted to quickly get some more money?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nwamchalenwamchale Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    SNIP!

Players who exploited a bug were rewarded. It may not collapse the in-game economy, but it sets a very bad precedent. It also sends the message to non-exploiters that our money has been wasted. As it stands right now, I see no reason to buy any more Zen, helping out a company that brags about rewarding exploiters. Before this, I simply felt unlucky. Now I feel cheated.
    edited August 2013
  • moonchipzmoonchipz Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2013
    Don't bring the servers back up until you're ready to bring the Foundry up too! :P
  • dreeeeevildreeeeevil Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Love the game mind you, but who the heck downs all the servers for maintenance on the night that they release their expansion?

oh... read first post... lol.

I agree with the whole sun elf thing.
  • skulhedface44skulhedface44 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    is the constant crashing for everyone being addressed please? :3
  • greeniewolf0greeniewolf0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 83
    edited August 2013

That's not a statement. That is a joke.
  • zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Still calling players who exploited a known issue "lucky"?

Can't wait for the next spell of "luck".
  • itpalgitpalg Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You know, not everyone lives on the forums for every minute of the day.

I launched the game over an hour ago with Arc and NOT ONE WORD OF THIS PATCH WAS ON ARC OR THE LAUNCHER!

I was near completion of a Foundry mission when BAM disconnect!

There was not ONE MESSAGE IN-GAME about this!
    itpaladin.png

• yetifordyetiford Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    you payed for "moon" elves not sun elves.
  • mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    We felt that any player who was lucky enough to unlock a Nightmare mount because of something that was on us this morning should be able to keep it.
    I'm not someone who minds overmuch either way, but I think part of the bad feelings is that it's not just that players were able to get one or two NM mounts during the 40-60 minutes they had to do it in. I saw the "so and so has acquired a ..." from the same player multiple times in rapid succession.

So you have quite a lot of early bird players who either knew of/discovered the exploit and probably ended up with a dozen of the things. I'm surprised there haven't been more showing up on the AH on my shard...I guess some are hanging onto them in the hope the AH price will go back up again. Heh.
  • balthaazarbalthaazar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Time to watch True Blood, I do like the new update, fey realms are always high fantasy and fun to adventure in. What I really like is that you just made the Sun Elves live for all. Im going to make one after patch :)
This discussion has been closed.