test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Request for a new tool - Timer Object

celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
edited June 2014 in The Foundry
I would really like to see timer object added to the foundry toolset.

This would be an item under the Special Tab.

It would have an elapsed time entry with a limitation of 3 seconds to 3 minutes.

It would start and stop based upon all the action types already inherent in the foundry editor, Component Complete, Component Reached, Dialog Prompt Reached, Never, Immediately, Objective Complete, and Objective in Progress.

It would have the status of a component so that actions can be based upon component complete.

Right now authors are using kill timers and drop timers to achieve this effect but in a inconsistent and jerry rigged manner. It would be excellent to have this functionality integrated directly into the toolset so that timers can be consistently triggered.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    agentjasporagentjaspor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Totally agree. This has consistently shown up on "wish lists" since beta, so hopefully it's fairly high on their priority list by now. Maybe they'll ask for an updated list from us once we get some time to play around with the improvements coming next week.
  • Options
    harbingerdrumharbingerdrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I had a wall of text just now and realized it was unnecessary. Everyone has a story about timer hi-jinks. Select All /delete.

So... I agree <nuff said>.

the Book Binding series by @HarbingerDrum ----> Help Defeat Lolth's Minions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1- 20, 2- 35, 3- 18, 4- 20 min
    Comments to ->
    the Book Binding
  • Options
    pris23pris23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    celantra wrote: »
    I would really like to see timer object added to the foundry toolset.

This would be an item under the Special Tab.

It would have an elapsed time entry with a limitation of 3 seconds to 3 minutes.

It would start and stop based upon all the action types already inherent in the foundry editor, Component Complete, Component Reached, Dialog Prompt Reached, Never, Immediately, Objective Complete, and Objective in Progress.

It would have the status of a component so that actions can be based upon component complete.

Right now authors are using kill timers and drop timers to achieve this effect but in a inconsistent and jerry rigged manner. It would be excellent to have this functionality integrated directly into the toolset so that timers can be consistently triggered.

I completely agree that a specific timer tool would be awesome. Yes, it is possible to work around it with the kill timers, etc. However, sometimes it can take hours just to make that happen exactly as it is supposed to. I hate that and would much rather spend those hours putting together a map and detailing my quests.
    The Secret to Paradise: NWS-DCV313OOC FOUNDRY DAILY
    Part 1 - Paradise Lost? NW-DDMMIKYTB
    Part 2 - Into the Mist NW-DIJXRI4NT
    Part 3 - Wind of The North NW-DFB9K8KWH

Leave feedback for The Secret to Paradise
  • Options
    celantracelantra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 465
    edited August 2013
    The problem with kill timers is that they change depending upon the level of the player who enters the quest. Once the level 30 threshold is reached, the "Kill Time" is reduced dramatically due to specials coming into play. As a result there is no consistency and the hours you spend trying to get the time just right, are really hours wasted, as the timing is just right for whatever level your foundry avatar is currently.

I'm not saying you cant play at different levels and even publish and test at 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 and try to get some average that is acceptable. The reality is that the time will always be different based upon random factors no matter what you do.

A simple clock set for 3 seconds will always be 3 seconds regardless of the circumstances.
  • Options
    neverwinter1776neverwinter1776 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Can't agree more. Though I applaud the ingenuity of all the "timers" we have devised, we really NEED "true" timers and random options.

NW1776
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I understand that this is not a simple in the box solution, but it would be a very powerful tool to add actually to both toolsets, that of the foundry, and if it is not already part of the dev box, I would think the devs would drool over it too.
  • Options
    koboldbard2koboldbard2 Banned Users Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    timer.jpg
  • Options
    jedite2012jedite2012 Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Cryptic hears ya, cryptic don't care

I for one would love it, no more wasting encounter budget
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I think this would be #1 on my wish list.
    DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
    The Cursed Emerald:
    1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
    2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    mosby1 wrote: »
    I think this would be #1 on my wish list.

double g-d super plus one agree.

An alarm/timer would use up sooooo much less of their precious server CPU it's starting to push epic-fail status.
  • Options
    glantorxglantorx Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Requests for a timer object have been ongoing since beta.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, I know, and memories of those heady days brought me back to request it yet again. Now that the big push to get the drag and drop 3d editor completed, and the FoF assets added and such, it is time to push for the next set of improvements that we would like to see. This is one that I think should be on that short list. If it is at all possible to deliver this, it would be such a huge improvement to the foundry toolset.

I would say that if you are an author and would like to see this, add a post to this thread and let the devs know that this is something that you would like to see. I know we have been down this road before, but its time again to stand up and be heard. Be heard in a positive way for something that will give all of us a powerful new tool that will add a whole new dimension to the foundry tool.
  • Options
    zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This seems especially important now, as our hidden timers no longer want to stay hidden. :(

/signed

Z. Kolde
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Yeah I would totally love it, it's very much needed for many quests.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    derpdedoderpdedo Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Want please please please...
    <raises hand>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    builderxbuilderx Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 81
    edited October 2013
    Signed.

yes we need a timer object that causes a trigger event at conclusion, it should be able to count down in mins and seconds.
    Yes we need an onscreen timer for timed events.

Both are very easy to implement so it is surprising that they are not part of the tool set.

We also need a trigger at the end of a single ended patrol, that together with the timers would allow us to make better animated set piece type events were an npc follows a path, we can then spawn a copy at end of path do some emotes with timer then spawn another npc to patrol again etc. So much freedom would be added, may be the devs do not want to be even more outdone than they are now?
  • Options
    tannakaobi2tannakaobi2 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    derpdedo wrote: »
    Want please please please...
    <raises hand>

" " " " " " " " " "
  • Options
    grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    this thread is over 2 months old....

and it should start at a 1 second timer.

They are probably working on something like this i would imagine.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    . . . . . Agreed, a timer function is definitely needed.

Moderator Notice:
    . . . . . Because the original Necro escaped us and the thread is still relevant from the time of Necro, I'll allow this thread to continue with a new life. In the future, please make a new thread instead of resurrecting one that has been inactive for over 30 days. Thanks!
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2013
    Please and thank you Cryptic!
  • Options
    essentiessenti Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 303 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Definitely signed... please add a timer object to the foundry.
    Campaign - Trail of the Imaskarcana (NWS-DMFG77QOF)
    • A Mere Expedition! (NW-DIAAPG3S4)
    • Work In Progress on Part 2
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sets timer to 15 minutes... ding, your daily is done.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    elaridelarid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Sets timer to 15 minutes... ding, your daily is done.

/stands around for 15 minutes while making pancakes. Ding, your daily is done.
    People will always find ways, and this would not really make it considerably easier. Besides, there can always be clauses like 'a timer can't be used as the first three and last three story components' or whatnot.

Want to buy timers

Want to buy true bossfights, at least such where we could add stuff happening at certain percentages of life. Even a small selection of present ranges would be awesome. And more bossy bosses in general. Even if they can just be used as the last encounter on story tab and there has to be at least 50 mobs killed before that or something. Where there's a will, there's a way.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    elarid wrote: »
    /stands around for 15 minutes while making pancakes. Ding, your daily is done.
    People will always find ways, and this would not really make it considerably easier. Besides, there can always be clauses like 'a timer can't be used as the first three and last three story components' or whatnot.

Want to buy timers

Want to buy true bossfights, at least such where we could add stuff happening at certain percentages of life. Even a small selection of present ranges would be awesome. And more bossy bosses in general. Even if they can just be used as the last encounter on story tab and there has to be at least 50 mobs killed before that or something. Where there's a will, there's a way.
    How long could it really take for them to code up a timer? Really, at this point I think it needs to be asked why the Foundry hasnt been provided with one. 15 minute timer is one possible explanation.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    15 min quest for daily has nothing to do with a timer object that allows activities to take place based upon clocked time. You still get kicked if inactive after a few minutes. All the timer object does is provide a timed trigger. It has nothing to do with quest objectives or auto-completion or any of that other nonsense. Read the original request post.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    15 min quest for daily has nothing to do with a timer object that allows activities to take place based upon clocked time. You still get kicked if inactive after a few minutes. All the timer object does is provide a timed trigger. It has nothing to do with quest objectives or auto-completion or any of that other nonsense. Read the original request post.
    Farm mobs until the timer opens the door to the reach point objective ending the quest. Max 3 minutes like op? No problem, string together 5 timer objects. Unless you have a better idea why we havn't got a timer? Timers were requested back in Foundry beta. I'm positing reasons the Foundry doesn't have one. We know why we cant have bosses for instance, the devs told us back in Fiundry beta.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Farm mobs until the timer opens the door to the reach point objective ending the quest. Max 3 minutes like op? No problem, string together 5 timer objects. Unless you have a better idea why we havn't got a timer? Timers were requested back in Foundry beta. I'm positing reasons the Foundry doesn't have one. We know why we cant have bosses for instance, the devs told us back in Fiundry beta.

No worse then many of the quests that exist anyway, so might as well give the story telling authors tools to do their jobs more effectively.

The reason we don't have one is that it was likely not part of the cryptic engine originally, as there is no use of similar technology in any of the story based content, and so requires specific development to create. Just my guess.

However, when the authors have made a case for specific functionality within the foundry, 3D editior, drag and drop in 3D mode, fly camera, to name a few, the foundry development team has put best efforts in giving us the tools we have requested. This post was created as a request for such new functionality.

We can all guess at the reasons why it was not included originally, but I will err on the part of discretion in saying that possibly it was functionality that had a lower priority to other recently delivered toolsets. Regardless, determining why we don't have it was not intention of this thread, though since the topic has been raised I am more then happy to add my two cents.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    The reason we don't have one is that it was likely not part of the cryptic engine originally, as there is no use of similar technology in any of the story based content, and so requires specific development to create. Just my guess.
    Timers are used in story based content. For example in helping to cleanse one area in Neverdeath graveyard for the Doomguides,, you must guard the priestess at several locations for the time it takes her to sanctify each area. Just because the timer isnt flashing numbers on screen doesnt mean one is not being used. That specific quest gives a progress bar to tell you how far along the priestess is. The timer even has a pause function, as her progres is paused while the priestess is under attack and she says she is being distracted.
  • Options
    elaridelarid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Exactly. That's what I was getting at. Yes, you could put up a timer for 15mins in a quest, and while doing it, come and poke your character every now and then to not get kicked out, and the quest could auto complete and ding, a chest. But you can already do that. For example, just stand around for 15 minutes, take a few steps forward into an area and ding, a chest. In the latter example you won't actually finish a daily, since it would not get flagged for a daily anyway.

But. Give us timers with 10 minutes of total time that can be used per adventure, and I'll be pretty happy already :p
    It just is a tool that's very much needed in small quantities. Longer would be great, but if it's that difficult to think of an idea that wouldn't give birth to wave of abuse, I'd be ecstatic with the 10 minute total.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Timers are used in story based content. For example in helping to cleanse one area in Neverdeath graveyard for the Doomguides,, you must guard the priestess at several locations for the time it takes her to sanctify each area. Just because the timer isnt flashing numbers on screen doesnt mean one is not being used. That specific quest gives a progress bar to tell you how far along the priestess is. The timer even has a pause function, as her progres is paused while the priestess is under attack and she says she is being distracted.

You're right I did forget that instance. Good catch. Then all the more easily integrated into the foundry I would think. I cannot however think of another instance. Since you caught that one maybe you can point out others.