test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter needs more towns/cities.

elkysiumelkysium Member Posts: 161 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I think it would help to have more cities like Protectors Enclave, only in a smaller scale with the same shops. Would help alleviate the congestion and number of instances in PE. Maybe cities taylored to specific races or classes for social gatherings? Any thoughts?
Dragon Shard:
Dorlin: Level 65 GF/2nd Account: Calias/62
Elkysium: Level 65 CW/2nd Account: Krystalyn/62
Artemis: Level 65 TR/2nd Account: Fayne/62
Zantoth: Level 65 DC/2nd Account: Nemea/62
Kryndar: Level 65 HR/2nd Account: Lilith/62
Goreb: Level 65 GWF/2nd Account: Tysha/62
Bamidor: Level 65 OP/2nd Account: Valindra/62
Post edited by elkysium on

Comments

• rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Neverwinter is the CITY. Everything you do is based around the city and for the city. It wouldn't be Neverwinter if there was other cities involved.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There could, however, be villages and such about. There usually were many villages near cities, and the defenses they could provide, in periods of time similar to those depicted in the game.
  • elkysiumelkysium Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I actually ment towns/villages not cities, my mistake, sorry.
    Dragon Shard:
  • wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    like small "town settlements"?
    we could make foundry if they add town merchant format.
  • brendan03usbrendan03us Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This would be in the nice to have category, I think. As a practical matter, in all MMOs, people at level cap congregate in one place, with a few outliers. Adding new villages and towns would be great to give the game more flavor and character, but I doubt many people would move to these places and would still be hanging out in PE -- it's what people do at level cap in MMOs unless they are running specific content.

I think a higher priority in terms of alleviating lag in PE would be to lower the instance caps and add more instances of it.
  • buffsmadbuffsmad Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd probably agree with this if it was Open World, but its not, so I don't.

I would however like to see Knoxy send out some agents into the more sprawling areas. A postal Courier up in Icespire Peak would've been nice, perhaps in Chasm too with all its portals (an Auction Agent even). But no biggie since we have direct hops from PE to every zone.

If in future modules a new Zone acts as a hub to access others then I'd say some services should be thrown in there because and regular footfall would encourage a range of merchants.

But its early days and there's no need for any of this ;)
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It would just be nice if the Auction House opened up stalls at other locations so there isn't massive congestion in that one area. :(
  • carouselcarousel Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Agreed! At least find some way to tamp down the congestion.

But race-related settlements sounds interesting. A great way to explore more about the lore. C'mon, Cryptic, you must have some good writers on-board!
    the world is not beautiful; therefore, it is. - kino no tabi
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    darkjeff wrote: »
    It would just be nice if the Auction House opened up stalls at other locations so there isn't massive congestion in that one area. :(

TIP: Click the Auction Broker icon at the top of your screen (it's a gavel), then click "What gear do you recommend?", and then click on one of the "Find Similar" buttons and you will call up a fully functional Auction House interface from anywhere in the game. I use it almost exclusively and don't even have to leave the mailbox to post and buy anymore. :)
    edited August 2013
    TIP: Click the Auction Broker icon at the top of your screen (it's a gavel), then click "What gear do you recommend?", and then click on one of the "Find Similar" buttons and you will call up a fully functional Auction House interface from anywhere in the game. I use it almost exclusively and don't even have to leave the mailbox to post and buy anymore. :)

If you do it that way (and also via the Gateway), they take a 12.5% cut instead of a 10% cut. (The Gateway says 10%, but in my experience that's a filthy lie.)
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For this portion of the map, there are only so many settlements available. They could add Thundertree (mouth of the river as it enters Neverwinter Wood) and Leilon (on the Northern edge of the Mere of Dead Men).

They would need to expand the map East to add Longsaddle and north if they wanted to add what was left of Luskan. Any other cities would be out-of-scope for a game called Neverwinter. There really aren't that many little villages or towns around Neverwinter.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • xabersedgexabersedge Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    What could be done is simply different Districts. Black Lake for example is a district within the city, nevermind its purpose. If there were other districts to explore, maybe some more purpose driven i.e. merchants quarters, training grounds, or simply a social gathering district with stations to enhance profession use or some such. I think the additions of other districts within the city would also give an excellent opportunity to expand on the lore of the realm and give ridiculous amounts of resources to foundry builders.
    sunElf_Rogue.png
  • whoregutwhoregut Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    For a DnD game and an MMO, it feels so linear. There really isn't much to explore. No achievement for find some new or secret place. Other then grinding away and leveling, there isn't anything to do.
  • azlanfoxazlanfox Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    CRPG DnD games have all largely been linear based. From the gold box Pools of Radiance to Temple of Elemental Evil, it follows a linear progression of story. Some games have let you go off and linger on side quests a bit, but areas tend to be locked until you do what you need to continue or are so leveled as to not let you go there because you will die.
    The fox said, "lock and load"

glassdoor.com - Cryptic Studios Review
  • brandyyyybrandyyyy Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2013
    I know its called "Neverwinter" but I wish at least for the foundry quests we had more maps of Feraun for where you are traveling to. I know its just an icon on a map then the same quest you could have traveled to though a portal in some wizards house in NW... but I think it would be neat
  • goddessuniquegoddessunique Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It's 2013, why do they still make linear games? Dnd games should ALWAYS be open world with tons of freedom AND customization.
    Queen of Dragon Server
    Goddess Uniique, lvl 60 DC.
    PinkSugar, lvl 60 CW.
    Baby Cakes, lvl 60 GWF.
    *******, lvl 60 TR.
    Premium Juicebox, lvl 60 CW.
    Pink Exxxtacy, Ranger

There is NO pvp in Neverwinter.
  • elkysiumelkysium Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The main reason i actually suggested this was because for some strange reason lower PE is the ONLY place i crash. I even upgraded from a geforce 9800GT to a GTX550 with identical crash symptoms. A small village with banks, auction house, mail and merchants outside PE would give more places to congregate. Or simply add the banks, mail and auction house to the already existing districts.
    Dragon Shard:
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    *****gut wrote: »
    For a DnD game and an MMO, it feels so linear.

So.... pretty much like most MMOs (do lv1-10 zone, do lv11-20 zone, do lv21-30 zone, etc) and most of the story-based digital D&D games?
    There really isn't much to explore. No achievement for find some new or secret place.

It's not a huge thing, but there are the achievements for finding all those hidden viewing globes in each zone. /shrug
    Other then grinding away and leveling, there isn't anything to do.

So, again, like most MMOs?
  • valdariousvaldarious Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Never experienced a crash, I use an ATI card though. A good tip while walking around to cut down on some lag is hit the B key and walk around with no player names. It helps out allot.

Veteran from 2009 recently returned to the fray.
    edited August 2013
    It's 2013, why do they still make linear games? Dnd games should ALWAYS be open world with tons of freedom AND customization.

Games are linear because of writing. You can't have good writing and "tons of freedom". The closest we've got to that is Fallout New Vegas, with Obsidian's writing and Bethesda's freedom.

Unfortunately, most "tons of freedom AND customization" games end up being like Bethesda's newer games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, or Skyrim, which have terrible (and generally incohesive) writing with no player agency.
  • xabersedgexabersedge Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Here's an idea. Let's build a game based on the lineage and lore of Neverwinter. . .and throw out Neverwinter so we can hand players the other HUNDREDS of realms in the DnD mythos. After all, nobody wants a Neverwinter game based on Neverwinter, that would be silly =_= You want every other realm ever created then play a different game. This one is realm centric and I personally love it. I would like to see more Districts, but that again is within the realm. I think anyone that played the original Neverwinters can feel me on this. Neverwinter is Neverwinter!

This is not to say that content should cease, in fact the opposite. There will be other areas, other districts, and expansions on this world. They are feeding it out piece meal to keep people coming back. If you feed them everything at once, there is no experience for the future. everyone gets there fill and moves on. At least this way you can say "I was there before those areas, I helped create that new zone." You take part in watching the world expand, as far as Neverwinter Lore can stretch, and that is quite a bit.
    sunElf_Rogue.png
  • aurelias1aurelias1 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    xabersedge wrote: »
    Here's an idea. Let's build a game based on the lineage and lore of Neverwinter. . .and throw out Neverwinter so we can hand players the other HUNDREDS of realms in the DnD mythos. After all, nobody wants a Neverwinter game based on Neverwinter, that would be silly =_= You want every other realm ever created then play a different game. This one is realm centric and I personally love it. I would like to see more Districts, but that again is within the realm. I think anyone that played the original Neverwinters can feel me on this. Neverwinter is Neverwinter!

Umm..you are aware that Neverwinter is not a standalone DnD setting right? It's a single part of the Forgotten Realms setting.

And being Neverwinter based is fine, that doesn't mean they can't expand and flesh out the setting more. Neverwinter is a 2013 MMORPG, that feels like a prettied up 1993 railroad single player RPG. Most MMO's are somewhat linear, but they have open worlds that at least give you a chance to explore and get some sort of immersion, Neverwinter is "You will proceed from Point A to Point B, no diversions because Point A and Point B are the only things on the map." It's especially painful when you run into the everpresent invisible walls that might as well be giant neon signs reading, "Hey! What are you doing?! Point B is that way, no slacking!"
    edited August 2013
    I understand that it's merely a part of the whole. But that's just how Neverwinter has always been (as far as the PC games go). It does stick to the narrative a bit harshly but that's because its very purpose driven...nice way of saying on rails ;p I'm all good with the way it goes, I would certainly prefer that the it at least be deeper though =_= the foundry is much better for story that's worth going from A to B for.
    sunElf_Rogue.png
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It would be nice if they added a few "wild" areas that are separate from the main questline - these areas would consist solely of discovery-type missions, which are only revealed to the player upon accomplishing some feat. It could be by rescuing an NPC, defeating certain enemies, finding landmarks, etc.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited August 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    It would be nice if they added a few "wild" areas that are separate from the main questline - these areas would consist solely of discovery-type missions, which are only revealed to the player upon accomplishing some feat. It could be by rescuing an NPC, defeating certain enemies, finding landmarks, etc.

Wholeheartedly agreed

Thumbs-up.jpg
    sunElf_Rogue.png
  • mcflipmcflip Member Posts: 92
    edited August 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    Neverwinter is the CITY. Everything you do is based around the city and for the city. It wouldn't be Neverwinter if there was other cities involved.

That, but I wouldn't be surprised nor mind having different cities released as part of further expansions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <Heroes of the Fallen Lands>
    B][url=http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?450191-Dragon-FATE-(International)-(Social-PvP-PvE)]Recruitment Topic[/url][/B
    Social, PvE and PvP Guild on Dragon Shard!
  • michaelpoynermichaelpoyner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 75
    edited August 2013
    They could add more cities as well, another huge city or like and underground dwarf city.
    elkysium wrote: »
    I actually ment towns/villages not cities, my mistake, sorry.
    edited August 2013
    Well, even just the regions in the Neverwinter Nights 2 overland map would be nice, there were a few small towns there IIRC.
  • lpsxlpsx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Green Griffon Inn on the North road from Neverwinter

Druid Camp East road from Neverwinter
  • dridiadridia Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    lol this isn't D&D game its Perfect world with new UI 8)