test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PVE] Healer Cleric Guide

liforuliforu Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Temple
This guide is for a PVE healer cleric I will not talk about PVP or DPS Cleric on this guide.
Stats

20 STR
20 WIS
20 CHA

I use 20/20/20 Unbalanced stats suffer more from diminishing return.
Feats

f92t.png

Heroic Feats

Healing Action: Very good feat you can max it if you want but if you do you will need to remove some points somewhere else.
Greater Fortune: A very important feat for any healer.
Toughness: Do not waste points here.

Holy Resolve: Saved my life many times, spend 1 or 2 points here, but you don't need to max it.
Domain Synergy: Also a good feat, but we can't max everything... Use points here to open the next level
Weapon Mastery: A must have! Max it.

Initiate of the Faith:Waste of points. (0.2% Ratio sucks)
Repurpose Soul: Other very important feat! Max it.
Battlewise: Do not put points here.

Cleanse: A very important feat. You MUST HAVE at least 1 point here.
Templars Domain: Waste of points for healer.
Bountiful Fortune: Good feat but only spend points here to go to the next tier.
Virtuous Feats

Desperate Renewal:We will not use our divine power in Soothing Light. Do not spend points here.
Bountiful: Spend 1 point here. I have 3 in my build but it is too much.
Faithful Feats

Deepstone Blessing: My build is not focused on temporary hit-points, so I don't use any point here.
Enduring Relief: Very good feat. Helps a lot the healing of our main healing skill "Astral Shield" Max it

Benefit of foresight: Didn't test it but if it gives foresight +5% damage reduction you will end up with 11% damage reduction, what is great!
Linked Spirit: This feat is amazing, max it.

Invigorated Healing: Improves your main spam healing skill (Astral shield, and Sun Burst) Max it.
Power of Life: This build do not use temporary hit points. Do not spend points here.

Mark of Mending: This feat is good but I don't have points to spend here. If you wish you can can change points from other feats to add some here.
Moon Touched: Hallowed Ground is amazing with this feat, max it.

Greater Divine Power: Just one point and is always good to have 1 more backup divine power pip.
Righteous Feats

Divine Advantage: I think this is a PVP feat.
Righteous Rage of Tempus: Good feat, add your extra points here.
Powers

u5nd.png

Keep Astral Seal debuff on the target, and after that spam sacred flame.

Always keep Astral Shield up with divinity.
Spam Sun Burst on cool-down, use it with divinity only on emergency! Is very annoying to the other players when you knock-back the mobs.
Use forgemaster's flame with divinity when you need some more healing close to a mob.

Hallowed Ground is great with the moon touched feat, try to keep it up as much as you can, in some cases is important to replace forgemaster's flame with prophecy of doom to get more Action points to use it more times.

Stats Priority:
Critical->Recovery->Power

Try to balance critical and recovery to suffer less from diminishing returns, power will give you over-healing most of the time that's why I don't think it is so important as critical or recovery.

Pets:

Stone is better in general than the cat for the simple reason that the cat uses a belt, most belts have increased health on them and we do not gain any bonuses for the increased health that it gives the cat. The stone will use an icon and we can get some rather good icons to put on the stone.
Post edited by liforu on

Comments

• liforuliforu Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    --- Reserved ---
  • carletto75carletto75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Good job... put in items, and will be more complete!

Just a curiosity: your cd time of AS?

And so... in the last paragraph you mean Recovery instead Regeneration?
  • liforuliforu Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    carletto75 wrote: »
    Good job... put in items, and will be more complete!

Just a curiosity: your cd time of AS?

And so... in the last paragraph you mean Recovery instead Regeneration?

Yes, thanks for noticing it.
  • levittlevitt Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    good job! I like this build but I will change one thing - Deepstone Blessing. You say, that your build is not focused on temporary hit-points, but when you spam sacred flame you give thp for other players, then this skill is worth to spend 5 points, even its better than Enduring Relief for me.
  • fefeenahfefeenah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How much recovery do you have
  • kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Are you actually level 60 and using this build? Or is this a case of looking at the class and just guessing a build? Reason I ask is that AS has not been able to be kept up all the time for ages. No matter how much recovery you stack.
    edited August 2013
    kiralia wrote: »
    Are you actually level 60 and using this build? Or is this a case of looking at the class and just guessing a build? Reason I ask is that AS has not been able to be kept up all the time for ages. No matter how much recovery you stack.

That's what I'm wondering too because that would take an obscene amount of recovery, especially considering diminishing returns!
    edited August 2013
    Yeah and stressing that 1 thing more than once in the guide kinda undermined anything useful he might have to say, that and talking about how good a feat healing action is without mentioning using hw or boh so therefore making taking the feat pointless.
  • rnewton8rnewton8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Nice build- a few comments and questions below:

I thought since Astral shield got nerfed a while back there was no such thing as 100% uptime anymore....Is this incorrect?

Also, domain synergy is not that great. say you have 3,000 recovery, 5% of that is 150 additional recovery which is not worth the points imo.. I can get that with a cheap rank 5 run on my ion stone.

Also, you have sacred flame maxed out, so i would max out deepstone blessing if you r using sacred flame. That way,as soon as someone takes damage, they get temp hit points from SF, and seriously increased healing output from deepstone blessing.

And with max pts in link spirit i would use Bastion of Health rather than FF in divine to get Link to proc, especially if everyone is bunched up, which with good groups thats usually the case. Sunburst is bugged to proc Link if u switch it to divine mode at same time u use the skill, but that will be fixed soon, so BH will be the go to for Link spirit builds. And Im pretty sure they will nerf Link Spirit feat a bit as well in the next update. Almost all builds use AS, Sunburst, and fill in something for the third, BH, FF, or Healing word.

For cleanse - only put 1 pt, thats all u need

Also, I think u will find that you dont need the feat that gives you additional power and increases healing output. The increase to power is negligible, and since u can only slot 2 upgrades, most ppl will put pts into either foresight or healing, but not both at same time. I run foresight, and then either divine advantage or the one that gives increased AP.

I like the 20/20/20 suggestion, thats what i use, and i hate seeing other clerics with 26 points in our main skill. So unbalanced.

For stats, the goal is to get to the soft cap with the stats that have diminishing returns i.e. recovery and crit, make sure defense is at least up to 1500-2k, and put the rest in Power. Power doesnt suffer from dim returns.
    edited August 2013
    I guess we'll never get any answers...?
  • l0rdw00tl0rdw00t Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    As a new player coming from WoW and EQ2, and used to playing Healing Classes, can someone explain to me why threat reduction on healing doesn't seem to be important? Usually they're heavily stressed, I mean I'd have sacrificed most of the Guild for 40% Threat reduction on heals, or is it simply not as big a thing in NW?
    edited August 2013
    fefeenah wrote: »
    I guess we'll never get any answers...?

Looking into it it seems they wanted their guide on the sticky and were told to put it on the forum rather than just an external link, so may not ever come back here lol
    edited August 2013
    kiralia wrote: »
    Looking into it it seems they wanted their guide on the sticky and were told to put it on the forum rather than just an external link, so may not ever come back here lol

Well that's ridiculous - putting up a build and not answering any questions about it? Just "this is how you play a cleric" and that's it? :confused:
    edited August 2013
    well I doubt they could answer questions anyhow. I don't get the feeling its really their guide since they don't seem to understand certain things, just 1 put together by reading other guides.
  • alcattlealcattle Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Cleric is my favorite class, and one I can play pretty well. This guide, or this subject is what I need, but now I am confused on what to do. All I like is healing in PVE. Anyone else got a good guide?
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    l0rdw00t wrote: »
    As a new player coming from WoW and EQ2, and used to playing Healing Classes, can someone explain to me why threat reduction on healing doesn't seem to be important? Usually they're heavily stressed, I mean I'd have sacrificed most of the Guild for 40% Threat reduction on heals, or is it simply not as big a thing in NW?

Threat is a huge problem for DCs here, it's just hard for us to reduce it with what we've got.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • watchingdwheelswatchingdwheels Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Always have liked and played the Healer classes, and good at it too. Last MMO, Good reputation, sought after for PUGs, keep Guildies alive in the most intense situations.

In Neverwinter PVE, the DC was played WAY different and I'll admit I was lost. I have re-specced several times.

This is THE build I was trying to build, hoping to find. Great through the L 30s and continues into the L 40s. Both Defensive and Offensive VERY capable.

I use the Fighter companion, makes life easier. Use your "TAB" key(divine power) for the BIG hits, turn it off to conserve around 25%-33%.

Take a GOOD look at the Stats, Power and Feats. If you choose, Follow it to the letter, you WON'T be disappointed.

Last thing to remember, Hit the "E" key often!!(check the chart)
    "When You Attack, You Must Vanquish"
    "When You Defend, You Need Merely Survive"

Master Po to Kwai Chang Caine

Bonhomme Richard DC L 60 PVE Heal Build

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • focusmanfocusman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It is almost a copy of any other DC build out there.
    Wizard of Oz

Black Lotus

http://nl.twitch.tv/wixardofoz
  • rnewton8rnewton8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by l0rdw00t View Post

During beta, threat was really broken.. In D/D's all newly spawned mobs during boss fights would be on the DC right away. It's been fixed and now we don't have the whole room on us in a boss fight. Our main threat reduction is Sooth, and most ppl would agree that since u only have 2 slots, there is something better u can put in the slot that sooth. Foresight + AP Gain, or Divinity gain are just so much more useful that a tad less threat. By the time u get to 60 with good gear, your survivability is so high, you can face tank just about every dungeon in the game, so no one slots sooth. It's just how it is in this game.
  • misssmooziemisssmoozie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2013
    rnewton8 wrote: »
    By the time u get to 60 with good gear, your survivability is so high, you can face tank just about every dungeon in the game, so no one slots sooth. It's just how it is in this game.

Hahahahaha, good one there, you're correct about not slotting Sooth, proper positioning gives so much more, but facetanking? I'd give the average DC less than 20 seconds alone with a standard a bit stronger level 65 mob.
    Wizard.jpg
  • whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The only bonus from and ability score that suffers from a diminishing return is Recharge Speed from Int and Cha. Everything else is a linear improvement per point.
  • grandinatagrandinata Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 74
    edited October 2013
    Hello
    this build as healer is still relevant?
    you could show me other builds (full healer) for the dc?
    thank you very much
  • hortinhaportugalhortinhaportugal Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Hi,

I'm an experienced player with CW until I decided to build a cleric.

I've followed this build for Arrotobiliax.
    however I didn't follow 20, 20, 20 by initial rolls... I've 17,24,19

This build was great. I was able to start doing karrumax and Spider Temple with success with low gear - 8400gs.

However right now I've 9800 and I don't find much different.

I've focused in Recovery because I was expecting to put Astral Shield on the floor and when it was finish ready to cast it again.

I've noticed that even with 3900 recovery I always have to wait 5 seconds.

Is this supposed to happen. Any one can cast Astral Shield over and over without waiting those 5 seconds?

Thank you.
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I've focused in Recovery because I was expecting to put Astral Shield on the floor and when it was finish ready to cast it again.

I've noticed that even with 3900 recovery I always have to wait 5 seconds.

Is this supposed to happen. Any one can cast Astral Shield over and over without waiting those 5 seconds?

Thank you.

Astral Shield was nerfed a while back, so it is now impossible to keep it up 100%.

Recovery soft caps at around 2500 to 2700, so you've got 1200 recovery that really isn't doing anything and that score would be better served elsewhere. I had 2700 recovery and my cooldown on Astral Shield was also 5 seconds. See the waste there? Your Astral Shield with 3900 recovery takes 5 seconds. My Astral Shield with 2700 recovery takes 5 seconds.

You can put that extra 1200 recovery into power, defense, deflection or critical strike and that will serve you better.

For a PvE (Dungeon's, farming Sharandar, etc. . .) focused DC;
    Power - It is uncapped, so put as much as you want here. 4000+ is the goal here.
    Critical Strike - Aim for around 1800 - 2000
    Armour Penetration - Don't waste your time here. What you get here is just a bonus.
    Recovery - As mentioned, aim for 2500 - 2700 and no more. You hit the cap exceeding 2700.
    Defense - Aim for 2000 - 2500. Anything less and you are squishy, anything more and you are in the cap.
    Deflection - Try and get as much as you can here. The more you have here the less you need of defense. If you can get 800 - 1000 deflection you will be fine with 2000 defense.
    Life Steal - Like Armour Penetration, don't worry about this.
    Regeneration - This is an awesome bonus stat if you can get it in decent numbers. There is a PvP build that uses blue gear to get this stat, but as far as I know there isn't a way to use purple gear to get a decent amount here.
    Movement - Only use enchantments in your Utility slots to get this. DO NOT waste gear stats in here.

There are more focused ways to build your Cleric though, but what I have described is what I aim to do with my Cleric and presently I can farm Sharandar (and do the Sharandar mini-dungeons) by myself with ease which means I can dish out decent damage, I can be a solid team player in PvP and in dungeon delves I can buff and heal my party effectively as long as they aren't being stupid. Someone will build a better PvP Cleric than me. Someone will build a better DPS Cleric than me. Someone will build a better tank Cleric. But all in all I can do everything competently.

Right now my Cleric has;
    Power - 3300
    Crit - 1400
    Arm Pen - 0
    Recovery - 2400
    Defenese - 1700
    Deflection - 640
    Regen - 0
    Life Steal - 457
    Movement - 0

I have no enchantments at the moment and most of my gear is still T1 (only 2 T2s), so I should reach my goals I mentioned earlier.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • fenice86fenice86 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As a new player i'd like to ask if this guide is still worth following to play a support/healer or not,

also, the post above me, is still "ok stats" ?

Thanks everyone
  • lazureelazuree Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    thestaggy wrote: »
    Astral Shield was nerfed a while back, so it is now impossible to keep it up 100%.
    For a PvE (Dungeon's, farming Sharandar, etc. . .) focused DC;
    Power - It is uncapped, so put as much as you want here. 4000+ is the goal here.
    Critical Strike - Aim for around 1800 - 2000
    Armour Penetration - Don't waste your time here. What you get here is just a bonus.
    Recovery - As mentioned, aim for 2500 - 2700 and no more. You hit the cap exceeding 2700.
    Defense - Aim for 2000 - 2500. Anything less and you are squishy, anything more and you are in the cap.
    Deflection - Try and get as much as you can here. The more you have here the less you need of defense. If you can get 800 - 1000 deflection you will be fine with 2000 defense.
    Life Steal - Like Armour Penetration, don't worry about this.
    Regeneration - This is an awesome bonus stat if you can get it in decent numbers. There is a PvP build that uses blue gear to get this stat, but as far as I know there isn't a way to use purple gear to get a decent amount here.
    Movement - Only use enchantments in your Utility slots to get this. DO NOT waste gear stats in here.

You honestly don't need deflection in PvE since most of the time you are not getting hit since the aggro has changed. Also, if you do get hit, stacking defense is more beneficial. In PvP, deflection is more of the stat you want to stack, but just stack defense. Also, I believe crit/recover soft cap around 3k, and for power to make a significant difference, you need 1000s of points. So don't worry about going past soft cap a little, just don't get excessive about it.
  • fenice86fenice86 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ehm... is this build still viable or not?
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Every build is viable (honestly, it wouldn't be too challenging to get to 60 using nothing but starter skills. It would just be dull), but this one here just isn't very good. Misses the point in several places, ignores some powers entirely while putting excessive points into others, when a more even spread is generally better. Has too many points in utterly useless feats, not enough points in incredibly useful ones.
  • dracisetbadracisetba Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Howdy,

While I don't believe this build is necessarily horrible, I did find a few things which made me think about what I use & how I use it so I am grateful for that.

I based my build off from: Best Neverwinter Devoted Cleric Defensive Build & while this build is not complete & also not mine-- the link to the build I just gave may give you more insight into how you may want to build your own. There is a version of the build which the OP started this thread with there & it may be where it was originally located.

Even if it doesn't, there are other builds on that site...and now I sound like an advertisement for them...but read them & the comments & you will come away with a better understanding than most of your fellow DC's.

I will say using the above build as a guide for mine I have had zero complaints about my healing & a number of compliments. And while I'm not breaking my arm to pat myself on the back I will point out at level 60 with my 4 piece Prophet Champion set my Gear Score is sub 11k (mostly due to not having the best enchants, yet) & I heal just fine-- unless PUG party members are stupid.

What I'm getting at is understanding your powers & feats & how they work together is just as important if not more important than your Gear Score. The best build & Gear Score for how you are trying to play any game won't help you if you don't understand the synergy which is what some people have pointed out & brought into question with this build above.

I admit the interface is set up, so you can't look at your powers & feats at the same time, so you can read about both of them together & making it easier to figure out how to build what you want, but if you take the time (a few hours even) to go over the reading & your character you will have a much more enjoyable & successful time when you get down to it instead of running back from the campfire.

Countess Killdeer
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Urgh.

Well, that build has 5/5 healing action (!), 5/5 domain synergy (!!), 5/5 rising hope (!!!) and no points in toughness or weapon mastery.

Also, they've stacked defense waaaaay beyond the amount necessary (3.5k defence and 200 deflect is not the best way to allocate defensive stats), they only have 21k HP, and they've got 5000 recovery, which to be honest is about 2.5k more than you really need. Possibly this was a pre-AS duration nerf build?

(!) -healing action doesn't really do anything. Put one point in it if you really want, but never put 5.

(!!) -domain synergy is 5% more recovery at 5/5. Even with 5000 recovery (which again, is vastly too much), this amounts to a measly 250 extra recovery for a whole 5 feat points. For comparison, he could've dumped three of those into weapon mastery and boosted his crit by 3%, which would really help with...well, everything (crits are the best). Especially since he could easily reallocate some of that def or recovery to critical strike, which at 1.5k is below the softcap. He could've put the other two points into toughness, and gained an extra 1200 HP. Put a point from healing action into toughness too, and it's 1900HP (and if he'd gone for slightly more than 14 CON, it would be even more).

(!!!) -rising hope duration goes 30/60/90/120/150 seconds. There is almost never a time when you WON'T proc it again (and refresh the duration) inside of a minute. 2/5 should be all you need, and 5/5 is massive overkill.