test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upcoming changes to Devoted Cleric

jadedlilithjadedlilith Member Posts: 40
edited August 2013 in The Temple
From http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=958251
Devoted Cleric

Astral Shield (Divine): Healing is now properly considered to come from an Encounter power.
Chains of Blazing Light: The chain no longer sometimes activates in a much larger area than intended.

Flame Strike: Damage is now properly considered to come from a Daily power.
Forgemaster's Flame: Ranking up this power now properly improves the Snare effect as much as stated on the tooltip. This improves the effect.
Hammer of Fate: This power dealt far too much damage overall, so it's gained a new feature and had its damage reduced.
If the power deals a killing blow, the player will now regain 15% of maximum AP (at max rank). However, the power's overall damage has been reduced by 40%.

Punishing Light (Divine): The cost to maintain this power has been reduced by 20%.
Soothing Light (Divine): This power now heals for up to 20% more, based on the target's missing health.
Sun Burst: When hitting both enemies and other allies at the same time, the player now gains 25% more Action Points from this power.
However, this power no longer incorrectly multiplies the intended Action Point gain per cast by the number of enemy targets affected.

Feat: Cycle of Change: This feat no longer counts as an At-will power for the purpose of triggering effects.
Feat: Healing Step: This feat no longer counts as an Encounter power for the purpose of triggering effects.
Feat: Sovereign Justice: This feat no longer counts as an Encounter power for the purpose of triggering effects.

No words can express how BAD most of this this is. Why do you hate clerics, why? Okay, fixing FF, that's one good thing, and the D lights is good, but why nerf Sun Burst? Why break Hammer of Fate? The -40% healing on self is bad enough, HoF was the only thing that made PVP worthwhile for those that still did it (and even then, a lot of classes could block/mitigate it if they played smart). AP gen off Sun Burst is ESSENTIAL for dungeons; it's bad enough you nerfed Astral Shield already (yes the stacking was op in pvp, but the duration is needed for PVE).

Every other class can CC lock or 1-2 shot others... Clerics get NOTHING. We can't even heal ourselves, and healing doesn't count towards our score anyways. The DC was pretty much the only healer I enjoyed aside from Shammy in WAR (rolling with a Sorc was great fun), but I've barely touched it since the previous nerfs and now with this it's just broken.

And I know it's been mentioned before, but:

KEEP PVP AND PVE STATS/EFFECTS SEPARATE FROM ONE ANOTHER!

What's OP in PVP is just fine in PVE and vice versa. Don't break one to fix the other. City of Heroes got it right, and even older games like Everquest 2 have implemented separate stats for PVE and PVP. This should just be standard practice.
Post edited by jadedlilith on

Comments

• derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    RiP DC in PvP .
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • seisem2seisem2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is a PVE game. PVP is an afterthought. I'm happy with all of the changes.
    Seisem - DC 13K GS
    Catalina Erantzo - GWF 13.9K GS

<Future> Guild on Dragon - Legit Non Exploit Guild (We are always recruiting great players)

Future Guild Recruitment Thread: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?475381-lt-Future-gt-Legit-Non-Exploit-Guild-Recruiting
  • swingchildswingchild Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Do we know how much of a nerf to sunburst this will be? Are we sure it will BE a nerf? How much more AP was gained sunbursting, say, 8 targets at once vs. 8 targets individually, before these changes. Remember they're giving us an essentially free bonus 25% AP gain on sunburst now...
  • kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I havent tested it but I am guessing that if you say on average you hit 5 mobs with your sb, look at how much ap that gives you and divide it by 5 and tag on 25%.

Seems to me like that 25% isnt really 'free' its supposed to act as some kind of pacifier for nerfing our main ap gen tool into the ground under the guise of fixing some 'unintended' behaviour...which is basically the way they present most nerfs.
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kiralia wrote: »
    I havent tested it but I am guessing that if you say on average you hit 5 mobs with your sb, look at how much ap that gives you and divide it by 5 and tag on 25%.

Seems to me like that 25% isnt really 'free' its supposed to act as some kind of pacifier for nerfing our main ap gen tool into the ground under the guise of fixing some 'unintended' behaviour...which is basically the way they present most nerfs.

the nerfs that they know are huge they always state that it was unintended and is merely being fixed and therefore isn't really a nerf
  • gctrlgctrl Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Most of the changes seem fine, only thing that is silly is HoF change. Whose the genius at Cryptic that's been watching PvP for the last 3 months and thought "Yeah, Hammer of Fate is out of hand." It's split up into 3 charges, so you can already dodge/block a good portion of it, not to mention that you can LoS (line of sight) and avoid ALL the damage (Unlike for example, Ice Knife on CW's). Silly silly.
    Guild: Lemonade Stand | Server: Dragon (Original) | PvP Forever | 1og0s
    * TWITCH * YOUTUBE * MY GUIDES *
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What part of any change is okay? Is it the massive reduction in AP gain, the nerf to procs with skills and feats, or is it the defense and damage reductions that are okay? Pretty much everything is a complete nerf.
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    torskaldr wrote: »
    What part of any change is okay? Is it the massive reduction in AP gain, the nerf to procs with skills and feats, or is it the defense and damage reductions that are okay? Pretty much everything is a complete nerf.

HoF = 40% damage nerf
    Sunburst = sounds like a huge AP nerf to me
    Chains of light = elven armor enhancements, CoL will no longer stun or hold long those who use them
    Necro Enhancements = increased self healing to those using, while negating 10% armor of those being attacked, this can be seen as a nerf to the usefulness of clerics and clerics armor defense is much less than what fighters are given
  • faeriestormfaeriestorm Member Posts: 460 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    gctrl wrote: »
    Most of the changes seem fine, only thing that is silly is HoF change. Whose the genius at Cryptic that's been watching PvP for the last 3 months and thought "Yeah, Hammer of Fate is out of hand." It's split up into 3 charges, so you can already dodge/block a good portion of it, not to mention that you can LoS (line of sight) and avoid ALL the damage (Unlike for example, Ice Knife on CW's). Silly silly.

I agree the only thing that seems silly to nerf is HoF. A few things actually were buffs, and when I tested using sunburst on preview I really didn't see that much of a change.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mrvincent1959mrvincent1959 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ive tested the SB on the preview shard and it indeed takes longer to build AP. Hallowed Ground and AS are the most important powers for the Cleric, esp in CN and T2 dungeons. Im not sure what's going to happen. Maybe I need to always have Holy Fervor class feature running for the AP gain. Not sure.

We are going to need some new guides here after a while.
    twitch.tv/kaligold
  • tyrtallowtyrtallow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm pretty sure the main reason why they nerfed HoF was because they nerfed the hell out of just about every other class too. It was downgraded from being one of (if not the) strongest nukes in the game into an execute, let's see if the reasoning holds once FotF goes live.

The other nerfs are there to balance the incoming general buffs, as far as I can tell. Cryptic has made it clear that they want companions to be a lot more viable in PvE, so expect the nerfs to reflect that. Perhaps they're considering what it would be like if everyone started doing dungeons with level 30 cleric companions all with stacking passive powers. Or with 5 level 30 Men-at-arms. Ideally max level companions are supposed to be able to hold their own against level 60 mobs, at least for a little while.
    Don't forget that we're also getting significantly better gear, despite the fact that the level cap isn't changing. Note that there is no mention of them increasing the difficulty of all the other dungeons. Atm you don't even need to be very well geared to stomp T2s. What would happen if everyone started using the new purples? Note that several new blues are already giving out higher total stats than even some T2 purples.
    You there. New to the game? Feeling overwhelmed? Maybe you think getting to end-game is impossible for a casual player like yourself, or maybe you just need to be around a community that helps each other stay sane and competitive with the latest news, current trends, random chitchat and most of all LEGIT (that is, we try to keep things fair) gameplay. If you don't mind being around quirky people and the rare occasional drama (one of our prominent TR members is apparently a mafia godfather) join nw_legit_community at http://www.nwlegitcommunity.shivtr.com/forum_threads/2330542.
  • fathomfulfathomful Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Cant really speak about the PvP nerf cause dont PvP very often.

As far as the rest i mean Sunburst AP gain was out of hand no matter how you look at it. I cannot say with a straight face that the devs intended for us to have 100% uptime on a DAILY power lol.

You want that gain you gotta spec for it or feat for it to help out.

I like the change to the Divine at-wills maybe this will give way to a new playstyle.

What i am curious about that nobody is speaking of is the buff to Astral Shield. I would think there would be much more buzz about the huge buff to it. I mean we all use it, now its significantly more powerful if feated correctly.

Any preview people want to talk about it?
  • redwhiteblueredwhiteblue Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Iguess I'll quit playing a cleric!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    From http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=958251

No words can express how BAD most of this this is. Why do you hate clerics, why? Okay, fixing FF, that's one good thing, and the D lights is good, but why nerf Sun Burst? Why break Hammer of Fate? The -40% healing on self is bad enough, HoF was the only thing that made PVP worthwhile for those that still did it (and even then, a lot of classes could block/mitigate it if they played smart). AP gen off Sun Burst is ESSENTIAL for dungeons; it's bad enough you nerfed Astral Shield already (yes the stacking was op in pvp, but the duration is needed for PVE).

Every other class can CC lock or 1-2 shot others... Clerics get NOTHING. We can't even heal ourselves, and healing doesn't count towards our score anyways. The DC was pretty much the only healer I enjoyed aside from Shammy in WAR (rolling with a Sorc was great fun), but I've barely touched it since the previous nerfs and now with this it's just broken.

And I know it's been mentioned before, but:

KEEP PVP AND PVE STATS/EFFECTS SEPARATE FROM ONE ANOTHER!

What's OP in PVP is just fine in PVE and vice versa. Don't break one to fix the other. City of Heroes got it right, and even older games like Everquest 2 have implemented separate stats for PVE and PVP. This should just be standard practice.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    fathomful wrote: »

What i am curious about that nobody is speaking of is the buff to Astral Shield. I would think there would be much more buzz about the huge buff to it. I mean we all use it, now its significantly more powerful if feated correctly.

Any preview people want to talk about it?

If it procs things like linked spirit and so on, that'd be nice, but that's something it really should've been doing months ago. And it comes alongside sufficient nerfs to make it seem vastly less amazing.
    People don't really tend to appreciate gifts when they're delivered with an accompanying kick in the groin.
  • kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It isn't a buff. Its a fix. It is an encounter power and as such should have been acting as an encounter power. We know enough by now to realise that even with this fix it is probably not going to proc all the stuff we would like it to proc. So no, I think yes its nice that finally they are fixing it, but its not something to make a song and dance about when you look at what else they are doing.
  • cohenbearcohenbear Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I just tested Sun Burst on the preview shard and it takes a hell of a long time to build up AP, and Daunting Light is now more 'useful' than HoF. So if this is what the preview shard is for, I say: STOP THE SB NERF!!
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Last I checked AS on preview, it was not proccing Linked Spirit.

What it is doing differently is causing certain other feats and bonuses to proc, Miracle Healer's heal being arguably the most notable.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• fathomfulfathomful Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    cohenbear wrote: »
    I just tested Sun Burst on the preview shard and it takes a hell of a long time to build up AP, and Daunting Light is now more 'useful' than HoF. So if this is what the preview shard is for, I say: STOP THE SB NERF!!

I actually dont mind the nerf to be honest.

I always considered it pretty broken to have 100% uptime on a "daily" power anyway.

I mean dungeons are so easy right now its ridiculous for me, i simply follow my rotation and profit.

After these changes i will have multiple options/builds that are viable. During dungeons i will actually have to make decisions rather than just derp along pressing the same few buttons in the same exact sequence.

Taking away god mode is not a bad thing lol.

PvP stuff no idea dont really PvP anyway, i see the nerfs there however they are nerfing everyone so i dont think the difference will be noticeable if they have their nerf proportions right.
  • digesthisicknessdigesthisickness Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Not sure what build you have, but I never felt god-like in a dungeon. Or anywhere else in the game. I'm level 60 and used SB a lot and most definitely would prefer to have it "fixed" in a better way. Sure, if it must have something done to it, then let it be done, but not to the extent they're planning.

Unfortunately, it looks like it'll be this way when it goes live and will probably stay this way. Even more unfortunate, it wouldn't surprise me if they found another way to nerf DCs. I just don't have the fun I used to have and after all that's happened to this point, I've lost most hope as well that any fun is in the future.
  • saved81saved81 Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2013
    vorphied wrote: »
    Last I checked AS on preview, it was not proccing Linked Spirit.

What it is doing differently is causing certain other feats and bonuses to proc, Miracle Healer's heal being arguably the most notable.

Does it Crit?
    Does it proc Foresight?
    Does it proc Enduring relief?
    Does it proc Healing Action?
    Does it proc Cleanse on every tic?

It is affected by Righteousness?

Is it true that SB can be still tabbed to proc LS?

Doesn't matter at all with the thread but do you have tested if Divinity Break the spirit stuns? To me that one is another broken skill that I would like to see fixed in PvP before the nerf of HoF.
    edited August 2013
    Not sure what build you have, but I never felt god-like in a dungeon. Or anywhere else in the game. I'm level 60 and used SB a lot and most definitely would prefer to have it "fixed" in a better way. Sure, if it must have something done to it, then let it be done, but not to the extent they're planning.

Unfortunately, it looks like it'll be this way when it goes live and will probably stay this way. Even more unfortunate, it wouldn't surprise me if they found another way to nerf DCs. I just don't have the fun I used to have and after all that's happened to this point, I've lost most hope as well that any fun is in the future.

God mode was a little hyperbole there hehe!

Lets face it. 100% uptime on any skill is bad. If there is no consequence to casting something (opportunity/resource/etc) then there is no decision. With full AP bar at all times it was a no brainer on what to do at all times.

Like i said in my post i would rather have a difficult challenge with a complete toolbox (even if tools are lesser than they are now) than trivialized content with a set rotation that equals win always.

With good team members such as a guild or friends and everyone doing their job the game is pretty darn easy. Not god mode but still easy.

If you spend most your time in PUGs then yea i am sure your experience is far different than what i described.
  • suxip01111suxip01111 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    So what's the solution now that Hallowed Ground cannot be kept up regularly? Is it even worth feating it anymore?

I think I'm just going to use Divine Armor, and save it for emergencies from now on.
    edited August 2013
    suxip01111 wrote: »
    So what's the solution now that Hallowed Ground cannot be kept up regularly? Is it even worth feating it anymore?

I think I'm just going to use Divine Armor, and save it for emergencies from now on.

I have been having fun with a Divine Armor/temp hit points build.

I have been running SB/Bastion/AS - DA/HG - SF/AS.

It has been working well for me. No matter what you are golden when your shield is up, just have to manage that four seconds when it is down. That is pretty easy to do with a bastion. With speccing for warding to get the damage reduction on it you can really abandon HG as you wont be feating it.

I know that increasing damage is kinda vogue right now and i have enjoyed that route for a while, but i like the ability to keep everyone alive no matter what with damage reduction. (AS/DA/Bastion/Foresight all work together to keep 100% uptime for crazy big damage reduction).

Just my flavor though.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

Lets face it. 100% uptime on any skill is bad. If there is no consequence to casting something (opportunity/resource/etc) then there is no decision. With full AP bar at all times it was a no brainer on what to do at all times.

"I just cast hallowed ground in the place we just left because no consequences! Also, I am now out of AP."

Even with good AP gain you still need situational awareness. In a similar vein, having 100% uptime on AS would be useless if you kept putting it in stupid places. It's not all about uptime. Hell, sometimes knowing when NOT to cast something is more important.

Also (to your credit) you note you mostly do guild stuff, and yes, PUGs (which I almost exclusively used) are a whole different ballgame. You need HG and AS pretty much ready all the time because some people simply cannot resist standing in fire. And (as I recently discovered) if you have a CW who favours space potatoes over singularities, clerics are still very, very squishy indeed if we get focussed.
  • katamizaakatamizaa Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    saved81 wrote: »
    Does it Crit?
    Does it proc Foresight?
    Does it proc Enduring relief?
    Does it proc Healing Action?
    Does it proc Cleanse on every tic?

It is affected by Righteousness?
    The answer for all this questions is no.
    Is it true that SB can be still tabbed to proc LS?
    Some days ago this wasnt possible, but now, its possible again.
  • digesthisicknessdigesthisickness Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013

Like i said in my post i would rather have a difficult challenge with a complete toolbox (even if tools are lesser than they are now) than trivialized content with a set rotation that equals win always.

With good team members such as a guild or friends and everyone doing their job the game is pretty darn easy. Not god mode but still easy.

If you spend most your time in PUGs then yea i am sure your experience is far different than what i described.

Oh, thank god. I thought I was the ****iest cleric ever.

Yeah, a huge problem is attempting to do it with PuGs. They're horrid more times than not for SO MANY reasons. You really have to be on your toes at all times and attempting to see into the future to be ready for the dumbest moves the others can make. And, they're much more interested in blaming everything on you than they are at taking a bit more care of themselves. Not all, but most. Enough to where my nerves are on edge more than I'm smiling.

What I'd like to do is just respec after finding a good feel for which powers would work with my style together with the best feats, but it's hard for me to decide to invest it when I'm not sure which are bugged and which aren't at any given time and not sure if my new line-up is going to be nerfed or bugged soon after. :/
    edited August 2013
    katamizaa wrote: »
    The answer for all this questions is no.

Some days ago this wasnt possible, but now, its possible again.

So basically nothing has changed... so many nerfs and not even a single buff... I was hoping that this would have been a major fix and it is instead a useless one.
    edited August 2013
    Use another damage dealing encounter coupled with SB (I switch between DG and FF) + Holy Fervor.
  • katamizaakatamizaa Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    saved81 wrote: »
    So basically nothing has changed... so many nerfs and not even a single buff... I was hoping that this would have been a major fix and it is instead a useless one.

I dont know if its intentional, but AS procs MH in every single heal on preview server.