test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Question? How to make a multi level Interior map?

bnickelsenbnickelsen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Foundry
I am trying to figure out how to make a second level to a building accessible by stairs. Can any one point me in the right direction?
Post edited by bnickelsen on

Comments

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    . . . . You'd actually need to either use the pre-fab rooms that have multi-level or use an outdoor map, elevate everything and build it from scratch using wall, floor, ceiling pieces. That would be very time-consuming and resource intensive though, depending on size. Currently, indoor maps are restricted to their rooms placed within. Would be nice though.

. . . . You could just make the stairs a transition to a new map.
  • bnickelsenbnickelsen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thank you for the reply
  • jazzyjoycejazzyjoyce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You can do this indoor as well, all the detailed parts are there (walls, floors and such). It's quite a bit of work though. You can use the big wall sections for floors, just put -90 in the P box, and -18 or -17.5 in the Y box, and build off it.

It depends on what your looking to do. Check out that tutorial "Making a tavern 101, or whatever it's called. Should still be on first page, it's awesome. There is also a couple vids of people checking it out, and it looks amazing. He did it in an outdoor zone.

You can use the same idea's from that though, in an indoor zone as well, with all the other stuff available in indoor. What you won't have is the clumps (already build village, forest, etc.) in an indoor zone.
  • harbingerdrumharbingerdrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Built houses are pretty much resource pigs. But on the plus side the results can be worth it.

I built one while playing with real windows and lights. I was forced to rough out the building and walls to see the light effects. By the time I was done I had a mostly complete house, so I kept at it.
    It came out so well I made it into my 3erd quest. The house alone ate 75% of the available resources though. Stairs are another issue. I made two sets, and used the MM ones for the third. Total time spent was probably approaching 3 weeks. So not for the weak of heart. (a lot of that time was pure experimentation, but a lot was learned so well worth it).

It is hard to actually see how it was constructed just by wandering around. However, help is available. Raphael is building a guide of sorts, showing how he constructed his INN by hand.
    Worth a look if you are going to attempt this.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?431401-Construction-101-Building-a-tavern-from-scratch&p=5546001#post5546001

Happy trails - DRUM
    the Book Binding series by @HarbingerDrum ----> Help Defeat Lolth's Minions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1- 20, 2- 35, 3- 18, 4- 20 min
    Comments to ->
    the Book Binding
  • artgodartgod Member Posts: 90
    edited August 2013
    bnickelsen wrote: »
    I am trying to figure out how to make a second level to a building accessible by stairs. Can any one point me in the right direction?

you can 'fake it' with some between the wall glitches... saw it in another foundry someone else did and started exploring it myself...

Ok... Take something like the spiral stairway interior (think it's unique clock tower or something like that - just search for unique in room search)... now put a small dungeon hallway next to it.

If you look closely when you 'play' you'll see a hole in the area around where the doorway between the two rooms is because the unique room has a gigantic opening around the door and the doorway is only small...

so throw in a stair case to allow the player to walk up through that opening in the hole in the wall... blamo, now your outside... on an 'interior map'... it looks weird and otherworldly a little because you can see through some walls on the 'rooms' since you aren't suppossed to be outside of them, etc. usually...

feel free to throw in huge water planes, multilevel bridges that go all over the place that you can jump down to on to different levels, etc.

The other room that's awesome for this is the maw unique room or whatever it's called... basically there's a huge hole around the 'mouth'... throw in a water plane tilted at an angle or a stairway, etc. so you can walk up and out and off you go.

I'm actually using the two rooms mentioned above to do some 'elemental' type levels... I was going to do one water level with hundreds of water planes that you had to jump around on to find your way through a maze, but that got too confusing so I had to simplify it a lot.... may add some complexity back in later... the 1000x1000 water planes only can stack about 2 wide and 2 deep and 2 tall before you hit the edge of the 'server' or whatever..... so even though it seems like you have infinite amounts of room to play with in foundry, it's really only a few football stadiums in size.
  • rokoilrokoil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Check out NW-DRXX94XS3 I created a room within a room and multi-level access with pillars. (20 min quest)
    This was my first attempt at doing this so its fairly basic, but has potential and possibly some insight for what your looking for.
  • doctornasty1doctornasty1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I used an interior area. a few 'floors' and had teleports disguised as stairs going between them. very low lag/ loading time
  • harbingerdrumharbingerdrum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Just did a new quest that has a nice approach to ROOMs. It is a branch of the method Doc mentioned above.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?444341-Danger-in-the-Sky!

It is for sure a lot less time consuming than the method I used. Check it out.
    the Book Binding series by @HarbingerDrum ----> Help Defeat Lolth's Minions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1- 20, 2- 35, 3- 18, 4- 20 min
    Comments to ->
    the Book Binding
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jazzyjoyce wrote: »
    You can do this indoor as well, all the detailed parts are there (walls, floors and such). It's quite a bit of work though. You can use the big wall sections for floors, just put -90 in the P box, and -18 or -17.5 in the Y box, and build off it.

It depends on what your looking to do. Check out that tutorial "Making a tavern 101, or whatever it's called. Should still be on first page, it's awesome. There is also a couple vids of people checking it out, and it looks amazing. He did it in an outdoor zone.

You can use the same idea's from that though, in an indoor zone as well, with all the other stuff available in indoor. What you won't have is the clumps (already build village, forest, etc.) in an indoor zone.

Looks like jazzyjoyce beat me to it, hehe.

The thread about my Tavern is here: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?431401-Construction-101-Building-a-tavern-from-scratch

And I just updated it with screenshots of the finished product.

Choosing an outdoor zone over an indoor zone will depend on what you want to do. The advantages of an outdoor zone are that you have the freedom to build anything you want, up to the maximum height afforded by the map. That's not possible in an indoor zone. The largest indoor room with the most open space is the Huge Cave, and you'll find yourself having to build around the rocks, platforms and built-in stairs that come with the room. Many awesome interiors have been built using the Huge Cave as a starting point, but it definitely has its limitations.

The advantages to custom-building in an interior map are that you have access to killzones for timers, if you need them. If you design your map cleverly, you can take advantage of those pesky rocks and platforms that already exist.

I usually choose to build custom interiors in an exterior map (I don't really care if people use their horses, it's up to them if they want to ruin immersion by riding through a house) just for the freedom it offers, but I've used interior rooms like the Huge Cave for interiors in the past, too. The custom crypt I built for Lost Little Lambs was built in the cave because I needed drop timers for some environmental effects that happen as you move through the map.

Really, it depends on what you want to do, how far you're willing to go for the sake of realism and how much time you're willing to put into the map. The quick and dirty solution is always just to use teleporters to 'pretend' you're going up and down stairs. If that's not sufficient for your purposes, if you want to give your players a more realistic gaming experience, you're stuck with custom building, I'm afraid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]