test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Technological Anachronisms - Not Good

redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Foundry
Ok, just played through a quest and one thing that really stood out for me as "breaking immersion" was the presence of technological anachronisms.

What, you say?

Bales of straw.

Now, we have corn-sheafs in the asset list. This is appropriate to the baseline technological setting of the FR.

But bales are not, they are an industrial-revolution era invention.

The appropriate larger straw/hay element would be a hay-stack, as this would be in keeping with the technological setting of the FR.

Now, its not much I know, but its all about immersion, and these things tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

Furthermore, we could use hay-stacks very creatively if they were given a "volume" for reducing fall damage.

Just a few thoughts.

All The Best
Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
Post edited by redneckronin on

Comments

• izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Dear redneckronin,

I am very concerned about technological anachronisms in my quest "Encounter at Sess'Innek Temple". Some people have actually complained! You seem very informed on the subject. Maybe you could point out some the the anachonisms in my quest?

All the Best
    -Izatar
  • wuhsinwuhsin Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is D&D. You can put a spaceship, a robot, and a laser gun in your quest if you want. Gary Gygax did it. Are you saying Gary Gygax didn't know how to play D&D?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    wuhsin wrote: »
    This is D&D. You can put a spaceship, a robot, and a laser gun in your quest if you want. Gary Gygax did it. Are you saying Gary Gygax didn't know how to play D&D?

Gary Gygax wasn't always right you know.

I'd have no problems with bales of straw if we had baling machines in there as well.

My point was about realism in following a process from start to finish for what is placed on the map.

Corn-sheafs can be done by hand (in fact I have done it, after cutting it with a long-scythe) so there's no anomaly there.

Compressed bales, of the kind found in the Foundry Assets are entirely an industrial thing, and we don't have the corresponding machinery in game to do that.

There are lots of things I could have added to my maps to fill them up.

But before I add anything to a map I ask myself a few questions: Why is it there? How did it get there? Who used it? What for? What are the consequences of it being there? Would it being there affect the story?

If I can't answer all of those to my satisfaction then it doesn't go in.

All The Best

• lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I agree with you, Red - But this video popped into my head lol - Link
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • thalazar1thalazar1 Member Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    gnomish tech is the answer to all. in a dragon lance novel gnomes made it to the moon! :D
    also magic or maybe....

Albums-Post-History-Channel-Alien-Guy-Meme-Generator-Aliens-98f63b.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Lost Keep NW-DS1XBAK7D An experiment Daily Foundry
    The Ruined Temple NW-DBHC7MUBL Latest and last one Daily Foundry
  • zbkoldezbkolde Member Posts: 689 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    :( But i thought the hay bales were so cool, took me back to my childhood days of taking walks through the hay fields and climbing the bales to lay back and watch the clouds go by. Though, now that you've mentioned it, they do seem a little out of place. I'm just gonna say that the dwarves built a baler of sorts. There, that's it. Dwarven ingenuity. :)
  • antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thalazar1 wrote: »
    gnomish tech is the answer to all. in a dragon lance novel gnomes made it to the moon! :D
    also magic or maybe....

Haha, Aliens, great show but it's a shame it's all made up bull!

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/ - worth a watch if your into all that.
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thalazar1 wrote: »

I'm not saying it was aliens..... but it was aliens.
  • tserantseran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited August 2013
    .... MAGIC!... and A Wizard Did It... >.>

But really, I had no idea. It will be unfortunately immersion breaking for some, I guess, but I'd venture that the majority are not up on their History of Hay.
    c447.png
    edited August 2013
    tseran wrote: »
    .... MAGIC!... and A Wizard Did It... >.>

But really, I had no idea. It will be unfortunately immersion breaking for some, I guess, but I'd venture that the majority are not up on their History of Hay.

LOL Very true.

In some ways I've been very fortunate in life; I'm 43 years old but have had working access to farm technology going back hundreds of years (I've scythed hay with a long-scythe and hand made many a corn sheaf for example), I've worked in construction so know how buildings go together, and by training I'm an Archaeologist so I know how buildings used to go together, how they develop, and how they fall apart; how villages develop physically in to towns and so on. It is all extremely interesting.

But, and it is a BIG BUT, that also means that in games like this I see "mistakes" in how building assets work etc that many players would never see.

Furthermore, I think this is something that is in part exacerbated by the Atlantic divide. America is a young country, many of the centuries long processes that shaped the way the old market-towns all across Europe grew and expanded were all but bypassed in the municipal and urban development of the US. Now please, don't thinks that's me having a pop at the US, it isn't.

The whole genre of fantasy is in part predicated on an "old world" model of urban development going back to the Iron-Age and beyond and it is, I think, something that New World game designers often overlook.

That said games companies do get that aspect right as well, Skyrim being one of the most obvious examples.

For me things like this are all about "details"; get the details right and the most of the rest falls in to place by itself.

But, I guess I am in a very tiny minority here.

All The Best

• tserantseran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited August 2013
    For me things like this are all about "details"; get the details right and the most of the rest falls in to place by itself.

Nothing wrong with that - I can appreciate wanting to have a more immersive experience.
    And I think you maybe have just made a few of us smarter! (Now to choose which thing to forget to make room for this knew knowledge!)

Anyway, I will sign this petition for a greater awareness of Hay and for Hay-Stack assets!
    /signed
    c447.png
  • ambitionxpambitionxp Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I had this pointed out to me in my quest as well. I had a "box of matches" that I've since changed to "box of sulfuric matches". Not sure if that fixes the anachronism issue but it's better than nothing. I need something that will ignite oil, but I lack expertise on the matter.

It's hard to avoid them without being a history/technology buff.
    NW-DNR5AK4ZK
    The Cursed Armor of Steele
    edited August 2013
    ambitionxp wrote: »
    I had this pointed out to me in my quest as well. I had a "box of matches" that I've since changed to "box of sulfuric matches". Not sure if that fixes the anachronism issue but it's better than nothing. I need something that will ignite oil, but I lack expertise on the matter.

flint and tinder
    edited August 2013
    antonkyle wrote: »
    flint and tinder

Or you could go even more ancient / primitive and use a fire-pouch; used from the neolithic period in the "old world" right through to just a few hundred years ago in the new world.

A leather pouch with a very slow "burning" (smouldering really) fungus in it. The fungus is lit, then partially starved of oxygen so it can only smoulder. Wrapped in a piece of leather, then surrounded by dry grass, then place in a leather pouch. To start a fire you expose the fungus to air, and use the dry grass as tinder.

Could even add in a mini quest to collect the fungus, dry grass and small pouch.

PS: Yeah, I know, I'm sad.

All The Best

edited August 2013
    Or you could go even more ancient / primitive and use a fire-pouch; used from the neolithic period in the "old world" right through to just a few hundred years ago in the new world.

A leather pouch with a very slow "burning" (smouldering really) fungus in it. The fungus is lit, then partially starved of oxygen so it can only smoulder. Wrapped in a piece of leather, then surrounded by dry grass, then place in a leather pouch. To start a fire you expose the fungus to air, and use the dry grass as tinder.

Could even add in a mini quest to collect the fungus, dry grass and small pouch.

PS: Yeah, I know, I'm sad.

All The Best

Nothing sad about an interest in History, now I know who to ask when needing info on a fire-pouch or Hay bale....

And probably anything else.

Did that lighting work for you? Problem was it would have lit all the caves.
    edited August 2013
    antonkyle wrote: »
    Did that lighting work for you? Problem was it would have lit all the caves.

Kind of. I played about with a bit and got something I was happy with. As its only one room, a cave added in to an extension to the big tomb from part 3 of my campaign, it didn't need to be 100% perfect, even more so as the room really is only a "pass through" rather than a major quest area. It did affect the lighting through the rest of the map, but as I wanted the tomb to feel like it had been opened to nature and nature was taking it back it worked really well beyond the actual cave room I originally wanted it for.

So many thanks for the pointers.

Have temporarily put my current projects on hold though, am waiting to see what the update later this month brings; and I need a bit of down-time as well, was starting burn-out I think.

All The Best

• karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Well cheers for that ronin.

I've just been playing in a barn full of hay bales and guess who I thought about :mad::rolleyes::D
    edited August 2013
    karitr wrote: »
    Well cheers for that ronin.

I've just been playing in a barn full of hay bales and guess who I thought about :mad::rolleyes::D

Erm, ok, right.

A lady on the interwebz thought about me while playing in the hay!!!!

Not sure whether to be flattered, embarrassed or scared. LOL

:D

All The Best

• karitrkaritr Member Posts: 662 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Remorseful is what I was looking for :(

:p
    edited August 2013
    Kind of. I played about with a bit and got something I was happy with. As its only one room, a cave added in to an extension to the big tomb from part 3 of my campaign, it didn't need to be 100% perfect, even more so as the room really is only a "pass through" rather than a major quest area. It did affect the lighting through the rest of the map, but as I wanted the tomb to feel like it had been opened to nature and nature was taking it back it worked really well beyond the actual cave room I originally wanted it for.

So many thanks for the pointers.

Have temporarily put my current projects on hold though, am waiting to see what the update later this month brings; and I need a bit of down-time as well, was starting burn-out I think.

All The Best

I'm glad it was helpful :) I know what you mean about the update. I've been building but holding off putting much detail in. Will be much better with 3d edit functions. I have changed my part 2 and 3 around so I can make use of all the elf stuff that will be coming. Can't wait.
  • thalazar1thalazar1 Member Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    ambitionxp wrote: »

D&D has tindertwig which is an alchemical match
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Tindertwig

there is alot in D&D that was not in our history at the same time periods because it is a made up world. most of the time some thing is explained as alchemical, magic, dwarvish or gnomish tech (famous for inventing things humans never conceive in that world but exists in a our modern world)

only problem with gnomish tech depending on the lore is it often fails epically.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Lost Keep NW-DS1XBAK7D An experiment Daily Foundry
    The Ruined Temple NW-DBHC7MUBL Latest and last one Daily Foundry
  • leinahtanwcleinahtanwc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    You should play Might and Magic... It is totally up your alley....

If anyone gets this, kudos to you!