test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How do you make an npc run away after interaction?

klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in The Foundry
I'm trying to make an npc run off after interacting with him. Something like the guard prisoners in the tower district, where after you free them from the orcs they run off and disappear. I've seen this done in other missions, but I can't figure out how to do it in mine.

Has anybody figured out how to do this? If so, please share your knowledge :)
Post edited by klixan on

Comments

• Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You can set the movement with behaviour - one way patrol. You will need to remove the one you talk and bring in another. Last I checked the run speed wasn't working but someone said it was fixed so you can check.
  • Options
    ash4llash4ll Member Posts: 231 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    one route patrol, appear when (interaction/dialog prompt). If you want him to disappear after a few steps it's a bit more complicated.
    Review trades - Need to trade review? Read first post for further info.
    Siegebreaker - NW-DGDPWV2U5 - story about the ambush, escape and great rescue of the city.
    I'm a streamer and I know it!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Excellent! It almost works!

I made two identical NPCs, the first is set to Appear Immediately, and disappear when This Objective Complete (Talk to NPC). The second is set to appear when Objective Complete (Talk to NPC) and I set his behavior to One Way Patrol.

This all works perfectly, but I can't get him to disappear. I tried setting him to disappear When Component Reached and placing a marker, but that didn't work.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
  • Options
    glantorxglantorx Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You are doing nothing wrong for some reason patrols don't seam to disappear at the end or trigger an event as far as I know - so best make the NPC walk/run way behind something.

I have tried to use patrols in a cut scene but with no way to detect the end point and trigger another one or and event it's impossible.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    antonkyleantonkyle Member Posts: 776 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    klixan wrote: »
    This all works perfectly, but I can't get him to disappear. I tried setting him to disappear When Component Reached and placing a marker, but that didn't work.

One thing you can do is set them to run out of view and then have them disappear when the player hits a place marker, it's not perfect but a good work around.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Ah I see! Thanks for the reply Glantor. I know it's not a major deal, but I do hope this is something they get around to fixing in the next big patch. *Sigh* there are lots of things in the foundry that aren't working as intended (I seem to discover a new one every day).
    One thing you can do is set them to run out of view and then have them disappear when the player hits a place marker, it's not perfect but a good work around.

That's a clever idea! I might give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion :)
  • Options
    mosby1mosby1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 288 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    glantorx wrote: »
    with no way to detect the end point and trigger another one or and event it's impossible.

You can do it, but you have to use a timer instead. I have a cut-scene where an NPC goes through multiple stages, each triggered by a timer. You can have then start a new patrol route or disappear. The only thing I wasn't able to do was force the NPC to chat; the chat happens randomly after ~20 to 30 seconds.
    DM's Studio - NW-DHZ5DAV4R
    The Cursed Emerald:
    1. Weird of the Weather-witch -- NW-DEZAK4QPA
    2. The Ambitious Apprentice -- NW-DLRAVW4S4
  • Options
    jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ALSO: If the NPC is set to follow and you select end follow after the interaction it will run back to its place marker.
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    To make the NPC disappear - using a place marker works - but it only works when the PLAYER reaches the place marker. NPCs do not and cannot actually activate any trigger. I use the PM to make a patrolling NPC disappear and it works slick as snot. :) Use the End Follow technique suggested above, or have the NPC run around a corner or behind something so the PC doesn't see the actual disappearing.

//Stagecraft Smoke and Mirrors.