What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Link Spirit Build fix

2»

Comments

• azurerogue1824azurerogue1824 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    xiphenon wrote: »
    Rogues can crit for 80 k ... why I can't heal for this?

I have yet to see a rogue crit for 80k in PvP, so if that's what you're referring to, then ignore the rest of this post...

If you're talking PvE, however, then you're comparing apples to oranges. Rogues may crit for 80k, but how much of a boss's health does it take off? If you want to compare damage numbers to healing numbers you need to compare % values, not raw numbers. There would be NO reason for a cleric to heal 80k (or whatever other ridiculous number you want) because no player that they would be healing (even themselves with the -40% debuff) has that much health. People on these forums keep trying to compare damage output to healing. They're not on the same scale and they cannot be compared directly, even setting aside the damage mitigation that clerics bring.
  • xiphenonxiphenon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If you're talking PvE, however, then you're comparing apples to oranges. Rogues may crit for 80k, but how much of a boss's health does it take off?

I see your point. However, you ignoring mine. Every class has a unique role. However, every class also do damage in fulfilling their role. Some more, some less.

The cleric does the lowest damage of all if fulfilling their primary role as support, because their primary healing/support ability mostly do no damage.

Astral shield - no damage
    Healing word - no damage
    Bastion of Health - no damage
    Divine armor - no damage
    Hollowed ground - only damage buff but no direct damage

Imagine all control spells of a CW would do no damage at all, but just control. You still would need a CW in group, however, he would be much less effective.

That's what a cleric has to deal with.

I could understand this, IF healing would be so gamebreaking that a cleric from the point of view of balance NEEDs to decide either to use powerfull heals/protection spells OR to do damage. BUT infact, the most damage in boss fights is "migrated" by every single player them self by avoiding major attacks or kiting adds.

So, there is no reason why cleric should do much less damage then e.g. a GF, GWF or a CW. Like controll spells of the CW, damage migration and healing spells of a cleric should always damage/debuff the target in addition without the need to use divinity. Divinity only should increase the effect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I see your point. However, you ignoring mine. Every class has a unique role. However, every class also do damage in fulfilling their role. Some more, some less.

The cleric does the lowest damage of all if fulfilling their primary role as support, because their primary healing/support ability mostly do no damage.

Healing word - no damage
    Divine armor - no damage

Imagine all control spells of a CW would do no damage at all, but just control. You still would need a CW in group, however, he would be much less effective.

That's what a cleric has to deal with.

I could understand this, IF healing would be so gamebreaking that a cleric from the point of view of balance NEEDs to decide either to use powerfull heals/protection spells OR to do damage. BUT infact, the most damage in boss fights is "migrated" by every single player them self by avoiding major attacks or kiting adds.

So, there is no reason why cleric should do much less damage then e.g. a GF, GWF or a CW. Like controll spells of the CW, damage migration and healing spells of a cleric should always damage/debuff the target in addition without the need to use divinity. Divinity only should increase the effect.

the saddest part of all is that the class that needs the most healing in a group is..... the cleric, and not only does the cleric need the most heals but the cleric is slapped with a 40% self-healing reduction that messes up dailies and potions as well
  • kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    the saddest part of all is that the class that needs the most healing in a group is..... the cleric, and not only does the cleric need the most heals but the cleric is slapped with a 40% self-healing reduction that messes up dailies and potions as well

The 40% reduction is not on potions as well. Somebody made a joke about the devs adding that and it appears to have become stuck in some people's mind as fact. We get the same amount of healing from potions as anybody else does.
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kiralia wrote: »
    The 40% reduction is not on potions as well. Somebody made a joke about the devs adding that and it appears to have become stuck in some people's mind as fact. We get the same amount of healing from potions as anybody else does.

regardless, clerics get attacked more than anyone in both PvE and PvP for the most part, they don't get immunities to damage or high dodge that the other classes get, what they did get was some group buffs and some healing of which the healing got nerfed pretty hard and the nerf also screwed up their dailies such as the angel attack you get right away in the game that is supposed to attack and heal, I never see it raise health bars anymore regardless of whether my cleric is low level or high .. if clerics are taking more damage than about anyone else then they sure in the hell shouldn't be self-healing nerfed. If they weren't the ones taking damage in PvE and PvP then nerfing them can make sense, but when they are constantly the top damage taker or the second top damage taker its insane.
  • suxip01111suxip01111 Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    regardless, clerics get attacked more than anyone in both PvE and PvP for the most part, they don't get immunities to damage or high dodge that the other classes get, what they did get was some group buffs and some healing of which the healing got nerfed pretty hard and the nerf also screwed up their dailies such as the angel attack you get right away in the game that is supposed to attack and heal, I never see it raise health bars anymore regardless of whether my cleric is low level or high .. if clerics are taking more damage than about anyone else then they sure in the hell shouldn't be self-healing nerfed. If they weren't the ones taking damage in PvE and PvP then nerfing them can make sense, but when they are constantly the top damage taker or the second top damage taker its insane.

That's why I have 2.5k defense, I don't even need my own heals.
  • spani4rdspani4rd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Well this makes me sad. Primarily because I feel the cleric class is becoming more and more limited. Like we have all these fun feats and powers which we essentially can't use because they don't proc anything or not in a manner that works with the class mechanics.
    Obviously you can't cast SB in divine mode all the time when you're using it as your primary DP generator, not to mention that constantly knocking back all those mobs nerfs group dps and makes the CW's life a lot more difficult.
    On top of this I'm start to feel like the faithful path is becoming kind of pointless, and I don't find either of the other two all that exciting for PVE. I'd use them more if I was setting up a permanent PVP setup. I find moontouched to be one of our better feats but it's going to increasingly require more feats that feel wasted in order to obtain it. I'm not overly excited for 5 points in invigorated healing or power of life. Of course I don't see anything else that seems that much better to use the points on either if I were only to spec into benefit or foresight and no farther.
    I guess I'm looking forward to potentially new paragorn paths but in the meantime I guess yet another respec is in order, waste of money :( or maybe I'll just not waste my time unless the content actually demands it.
  • whatnutwhatnut Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Didn't need LS in the first place - due to diminishing returns I found the effect to be minimal. Most of the time I forget to use it and can still heal CN.
    the saddest part of all is that the class that needs the most healing in a group is..... the cleric
    Don't know how you play in PvE but usually its the CW or sometimes the GF because they have most of the aggro. I mean one Singularity+skill rotation by the CW and all aggro is on him...How can you top that as a DC?
    Sounds to me that you will need at least 2 clerics for dungeon runs.

Reason: You need to bridge the 4 to 5 sec gap when astral shield is down.
    Use the following rotation in high damage situations:
    1. Astral Shield (AS)
    2. Spam Astral Seal on all mobs just before AS is over
    3. Healing word or Forgemasters Flame (depending on dungeon and grp play) when AS is on cooldown
    4. Divine Armor if stuff gets really messy
    Use Sacred Flame and sunburst between every step to regain AP

This usually works for me. Divine Armor isn't ready in every rotation but at least in every 2. Try to delay putting your Astral shield down - no need for overheal. Sometimes I put healing word as precaution on certain players whenever I anticipate they will get hit (CW after a singularity for example).
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    I don't think the point is necessarily whether linked spirit was essential or not (clearly it wasn't: almost nobody used it beforehand, then it suddenly procced from the SB/D switch and a lot of people used it).
    It was great because it gave everyone bonus stats for essentially free, since you were probably sunbursting in the middle of everyone ANYWAY. Without the SB/D switch it goes back to being trash again.
  • kiraliakiralia Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Am not really sure why people feel fixing this suddenly ruins the class. It was a nice lil bonus for a while that everyone with any sense knew was gonna get fixed pretty fast. Even the CW i partner with when I was explaining the skill and using it with SB knew it was gonna get fixed before too long.

I agree that DC needs a lot of work fixing and resynergising (this isnt even a real word but oh well lol) the feats and powers but this particular change will not make us any more broken and cause a calamity.
  • whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Healing word - no damage
    Divine armor - no damage

And none of those can ever build Divine Power unless you slot for it. Even then AS won't because you're using DP to make it a heal. For some reason, "non-damaging powers" doesn't seem to include the gold AS.

So you have to try to frantically spam at-wills whenever you can. Not because you feel like you can personally add anything useful to damage, but because you need to build up a pip of DP for your next blue AS.

I think they ought to make Soothing/Punishing Light -GENERATE- DP rather than consume it. That would be the big boost DC's need all around. The walk-while-casting mechanic is actually unique to clerics, and feel like it's totally warranted for us. Someone pointed out looking at the description in character creation for the DC's tab, it talks about the "right-click power". This leads me to believe Punishing Light as right-click (for free, generates DP) and Soothing Light in tab mode (free, won't generate DP without slotting for it) was the original design.
  • vikingbradvikingbrad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I've listed the swapping to Divine Channelling stopping a spell cast as a bug in the Preview forums.

Its not in the release notes and it seems to affect any spell if change is made during casting.

Would be good if a few more reported it and it got actioned. No reply from PWE yet

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?431501-Devoted-Cleric-Switching-to-Channel-Divinity-cancels-spell-casting&p=5437041&viewfull=1#post5437041
    Ricky Gervatheist Lvl 60 DC on Dragon Server
    Looking for a guild for PvE Dungeons to suit AEST evenings
  • rfaulrfaul Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    kiralia wrote: »
    Am not really sure why people feel fixing this suddenly ruins the class.
    I agree that DC needs a lot of work fixing and resynergising (this isnt even a real word but oh well lol) the feats and powers but this particular change will not make us any more broken and cause a calamity.

It's exactly what makes this "bug fix" pretty much outrageous. I particularly do not use SB at all but this is really sickening. While the class definitely needs some work, time and effort is prioritized into removing first any kind of advantage while not moving a finger to fix the class at all.

Should DCs expect any kind of work towards fixing the class at any time soon or should we expect more biased fixes?

Fix DCs first and SB+LS last.
    edited August 2013
    I think they ought to make Soothing/Punishing Light -GENERATE- DP rather than consume it. That would be the big boost DC's need all around. The walk-while-casting mechanic is actually unique to clerics, and feel like it's totally warranted for us. Someone pointed out looking at the description in character creation for the DC's tab, it talks about the "right-click power". This leads me to believe Punishing Light as right-click (for free, generates DP) and Soothing Light in tab mode (free, won't generate DP without slotting for it) was the original design.

I also have been thinking this. It would be a great way to actually give these powers some use because at the moment they're incredibly situational at best: PL for finishing off a low-health enemy in PvP, and SL for...well, "everything else was on cooldown", I guess? The amount of heal per pip given by SL is terrible unless you spec into various feats and make sure your target has tempHP and so on, and even then you're probably better off just burning a pip on a shield, since then you can heal EVERYBODY, provide a huge amount of damage reduction, and also do any number of other things that AREN'T "run around holding down RMB" in the meantime.
  • whistlingdixiewhistlingdixie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    I also have been thinking this. It would be a great way to actually give these powers some use because at the moment they're incredibly situational at best: PL for finishing off a low-health enemy in PvP, and SL for...well, "everything else was on cooldown", I guess? The amount of heal per pip given by SL is terrible unless you spec into various feats and make sure your target has tempHP and so on, and even then you're probably better off just burning a pip on a shield, since then you can heal EVERYBODY, provide a huge amount of damage reduction, and also do any number of other things that AREN'T "run around holding down RMB" in the meantime.

Absolutely. It's not like they're incredibly powerful abilities anyway. Soothing Light will not heal through big burst damage or standing in the red circles, and a slight DPS increase in Punishing Light isn't going to screw up class balance for us in either PvP or PvE. I think the biggest issue would be that the other At-Wills are pitiful by comparison. You'd always pick Astral Seal. MAYBE Brand of the Sun in certain situations. Of course, maybe you could pick both and have BotS next to Punishing, and Seal next to Soothing in tab mode.

It would also be cool if Punishing Light were the non-Divine gold color. :D
  • sogronnwosogronnwo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 96
    edited August 2013
    To people saying that LS wan't good anyway because of the diminishing returns:

I maxed power on my 12,6k DC till the point where my LS gave 1,7k power to each party member. That amount of power makes more difference than switching from a T2 weapon to ancient weapon. On 5 people.
    And I didn't mention that no matter how much diminishing hits the other stats, together they still give a bonus comparable to the power bonus alone.
    And this is on 5 people. Basically 25% LS on 5 people makes the 5-man grp perform at the level of a 6-man grp in DPS.

Please diss that, yeah.

But if that kind of bonus matters to your grp, you can still trade HW to BoH and have it, at the cost of not having any split-healing capability other than Soothing Light, which still eats D like crazy.

That part is the problem, not the fix on the D-SB glitch. I'd gladly switch from HW to BoH if I had a Soothing Light with effective resource cost. But I don't.

This patch just pigeon holes us even further than before.
  • resintokeresintoke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited August 2013
    Just my two cents:

I really enjoyed being able to time my tab button on Sun Burst and Bastion of Health in order to proc Linked Spirit. It added a great skill element that separated the good healers from the great ones. It took practice to get the timing right, and the more you were able to do it correctly, the more your group benefited from Linked Spirit. Isn't that what our class is all about? For a while, I was even considering setting up a camera to watch my keyboard during game play for my stream to show how/when I was using tab, but that idea is out the window if they change it.

Now I HAVE to knock back adds with Sun Burst if I want to provide the LS buff? LAME. Sun Burst loses big potential, and might get replaced for Healing Word, especially if I dump 4pc MH for the new Feywild 4pc.
    Check out my Twitch stream & video highlights!!
    <Four Twenty> is recruiting! Apply by registering on our website!
    Check out my cleric guides, notes, and discussions!!

5563438nSKoR.png
  • braanubraanu Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2013
    This change seems to me like it was thought up by someone on the team involved with mechanics and making sure skills work right. This does NOT seem like it was something thought up and authorized by the Cleric class developer who makes sure our class synergy is there.

Reason why I say this is, almost nothing will proc Linked Spirit properly besides Sunburst to make it worth putting 4-5 feat points into the Linked Spirit feat.

There are two reasons why Sunburst was the ONLY thing that worked well enough to be worth slotting 4-5 points into that feat. a) Sunburst when tabbed to get the fake divinity proc has a large range to grab party members and add them to the buff. b) Sunburst is the ONLY skill that will add 3 or more players consistently enough to the buff total to make it worth those 4-5 feat points used for the Linked Spirit feat.

Astral Shield even though it uses Divinity to get the blue shield, will not drop Linked Spirit on the group. Even if you aim it right to grab 3-5 party members inside when it hits down, no Linked Spirit buff.

Healing Word when used through Divinity only applies the buff multiplication for you and the person you put it on. That means its a 2 person stat buff as opposed to a possible 5 person stat buff the way it currently works if you hit everyone with sunburst.

Bastion (lol) won't be going on my hotbar EVER so the Linked Spirit it can give is a mute point. No good healer runs Bastion, only ones who don't understand the feat trees are running it.

There are quite a few of us out there running a build with Linked Spirit feat points in it. Because of the above reasons, we are ALL going to have to respec our feats to remove Linked Spirit from our trees if you put this change through. Last time I respec my feats it was cheaper to just trade AD for Zen and get a Respec Token than to buy a Feat retraining with AD.

This is unacceptable. This change will not affect any good healers in the least. I'm not concerned about this going through because of any crutch or fear of being non-viable as a healer. That's NOT the point.

This is unacceptable because it makes one of our available feats, one that was used by quite a bit of the healers, into a piece of junk feat that no one will slot if they know the mechanics of the way things will work and the "bang for their buck" that 4 or 5 feat points will give Linked Spirit now.

This is unacceptable because it was done without patch notes. Still no patch notes after a couple patches on test server have gone by since this change.

I agree with what another poster above said anyways. Using Sunburst and tabbing for Linked Spirit proc (and Rising Hope and Enduring Relief, etc) was what separated the real good healers from the rest. We are doing the same or better healing while giving up 4-5 points to get the Linked Spirit feat and position ourselves strategically to buff our group with Linked Spirit.

You shouldn't be looking at how to nerf Linked Spirit and make it a totally unacceptable feat to slot.

If someone at Cryptic thought this wasn't working as intended, maybe they should look at why the effect wasn't intended because it sure worked for us Clerics using it. Helps to take some of the monotony out of the healing and dungeon runs.

What do i have look forward to? More reason to stand still blindly spamming a rotation of skills, avoiding the red circles. More time free'd up I guess where I don't have to be positioning myself for Linked Spirit because I sure won't be slotting that piece of junk feat if this change goes through...
  • imanrsholimanrshol Member Posts: 35
    edited August 2013
    I plan on putting one point in Invigorated healing to get around the change. So... cast SB > activate Divinity > Invig procs while Divinity active = Linked Spirit. Voilla!!

The question is whether all 5 targets getting Invig counts as 5 targets for the buff (25% stats) or 5 single targets (5% stats).
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    imanrshol wrote: »
    I plan on putting one point in Invigorated healing to get around the change. So... cast SB > activate Divinity > Invig procs while Divinity active = Linked Spirit. Voilla!!

The question is whether all 5 targets getting Invig counts as 5 targets for the buff (25% stats) or 5 single targets (5% stats).

I do not believe this horrible "fix" even went through. I can still proc Linked Spirit with Sunburst on live, thankfully. No pointless respec.
  • areys77areys77 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    sogronnwo wrote: »
    To people saying that LS wan't good anyway because of the diminishing returns:

I maxed power on my 12,6k DC till the point where my LS gave 1,7k power to each party member. That amount of power makes more difference than switching from a T2 weapon to ancient weapon. On 5 people.
    (34,000*.05 = 1,700)
    So you have 34,000 Power. Cool story bro.
    edited August 2013
    It's 25% if you hit your entire party (5% per person, cumulative), so 6800 power will give 1700k to everyone if you hit everyone.

Linked spirit is basically silly if you only proc it on one person, but godly if you hit everyone, since the benefits increase with the square of the number of people hit (5x the buff, on 5x the number of people).
  • derpaderpistderpaderpist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Linked Spirit is not even worth it after one of the latest patches ( not the expansion ) , not sure why people use it .
    " We live in an age of the cheaply made, disposable, high priced junk. " - theunwarshed
  • holsacholsac Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Does anyone know if AS works with linked spirit?
  • saved81saved81 Member Posts: 99
    edited August 2013
    morsitans wrote: »
    It's 25% if you hit your entire party (5% per person, cumulative), so 6800 power will give 1700k to everyone if you hit everyone.

Linked spirit is basically silly if you only proc it on one person, but godly if you hit everyone, since the benefits increase with the square of the number of people hit (5x the buff, on 5x the number of people).

It's 5% of their own stats for every ALLY healed (included companions that can be healed) up to a 50% of their own stats.
    It can stack with LS from others clerics.
    Not sure but it should stack with LS from different kind of healing (i.e. you can get double stak of LS you proc it with SB and ASeal).

Also the defensive boost from LS isn't neglectable.
  • debbieharrydebbieharry Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2013
    hi

Im a dc who is gonna ding 60 today. Before i use my respec i just wanted to run it by everyone here because 90% of the info i have used to make my decisions in the tree come from this forum. sorry this isnt in a new thread but i was reading and a few of you seem too know what youre talking about; they wont let me make one and im sure that this post is rich nough to not warrant as spam.
    When i first ding 60 what instances do i wnt to start running to get geared? is there any gear thats easily accessible? i read somewhere that the pvp stuff is a good start but i think that was a rogue guide lol.

Heres the build i -think- im gonna be using: http://nwcalc.com/dc?b=nlp:4wzjn:b5ks,13l3314:6c000:6z50u:6y000&h=0

As for powers, most of it i think is probably non negotiable / i cant see a better arrangement for what i plan to use. The the three points in HoJ could be one in each of that BtS and PoD. Bts for pvp use and pod just so i have it if i ever need it, i decided to drop the other 2 and just put 3 in HoJ becuase it seems if youre gonna have a skill at all it may as well be at rank 3? The consensus seems to be that PoD although can work well for some isnt by any means essential and i willl be mainly doing pve content and could easily just use another skill instead of break the spirit (daunting light maybe?).
    Id like to mostly use SB AS and one other. I like HW FF BoH and DG so theres no prejudice there, i want it to be as flexible as possible so i dont need to keep throwing AD at respecs.

Feats. After doing some reading i came to the conclusion linked spirit was not worth it overall, as it is only going to proc for me mostly with D-SB, a very situational spell. At the moment i am running SB+AS and either DG/FF/HW (and rarely bastion due to its limited split-heals). Before i got AS i was using BoH SB HW along with DA daily for some insane clutch heals in instances, speccing into temp hitpoint buffing and LS. However, after looking around this seems like a lot of points for what was (although fun) a very one-trick-pony type playstyle. People say bastion is trash, maybe it is, but it seems to me only because of the excessive amount of feating it seems to take to make it work effectively, and niching your potential by a lot. I enjoyed using it and will keep it there for situational purposes but i felt that going the feats in the faithful tree gave more overall, flexible benefits.
    Main issue i had with the feats is that to be honest a lot of them are trash.
    As for the faithful tree, i am set on putting 15 spread across Enduring relief, improved foresight and invigorated healing as they definately seem like the most appropriate 3 out of the 6 perks, but i saw in a tutorial video someone saying that the moon touched perk only heals for about 5k over the duration in endgame content. This means nothing to me as i am not 60. Is that a not lot for what is just an extra heal? I couldnt really see anywhere better to spend the points to be honest and you cant really go wrong with free heals especially since im using mostly HG and only DA for clutch circumstances. I may even consider taking one out of moon touched to max ethereal boon. Id like as much DP building as possible as id rather not pack divine fortune if i can avoid it. Itll be foresight (obviously) and either healers lore or holy fervor.

On a side note, anyone who tells me the 4th pip is worth it- go back to school before giving me any advice :D

Thanks in advance guys