test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can someone explain Perma Black Hole?

zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
edited August 2013 in The Library
Rerolled from a GWF because no one wants them in a group and I've read a few posts about how T2 groups want a Control Wizard who has perma Black Hole. If not they go for 2 CW's.

Any help would be appreciated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Character is what a man is in the dark
Post edited by zylaxx on

Comments

• josefine2kjosefine2k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Correct me If I'm wrong, but could it be a CW with fast enough AP regen to spam Arcane Singularity?
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    josefine2k wrote: »
    Correct me If I'm wrong, but could it be a CW with fast enough AP regen to spam Arcane Singularity?

That's basically it. They spam AP's with Steal Time and other encounter powers and keep pumping out Arcane Singularity.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • ravengageravengage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think its getting enough gear to make your Shield regen half your daily power in one use (when hitting many adds at once obviously). Fight starts, you AS+knock them away. The knockaway itself recharges half the daily bar. Next set of adds comes, you recharge the rest of the bar (maybe with a Steal Time or another shield knockback) and repeat.

The cooldown of SHield at that level of gear will be something like ~5-6 seconds I think so you'll almost always have it up.

I could be wrong.
  • zagrim#6754 zagrim Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    Rerolled from a GWF because no one wants them in a group and I've read a few posts about how T2 groups want a Control Wizard who has perma Black Hole. If not they go for 2 CW's.

1. Cast Shield
    2. Cast Arcane Singularity around huge mobs of monsters
    3. Detonate Shield before mobs are sucked up (to get a HUUUGE amount of AP)
    4. Watch mobs fly back into Arcane Singularity
    5. Cast Steal Time
    6. Recast Arcane Singularity if needed

Oh and stack recovery.
  • rhodahrhodah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. Cast Shield
    2. Cast Arcane Singularity around huge mobs of monsters
    3. Detonate Shield before mobs are sucked up (to get a HUUUGE amount of AP)
    4. Watch mobs fly back into Arcane Singularity
    5. Cast Steal Time
    6. Recast Arcane Singularity if needed

Oh and stack recovery.

thx for the explanation, but how can i stack recovery?
  • dominemesisdominemesis Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rhodah wrote: »

Archmage and High Vizier sets are recovery primary sets. You can also stack recovery using an Ioun stone and the Cat companions, and giving them gear with recovery on it.

Archmage set bonus really helps here too as every time you cast a control encounter power, it reduces the cooldown on your other encounter powers by 1 second. Get into a rotation and you are constantly reducing cooldowns.
  • zagrim#6754 zagrim Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rhodah wrote: »

Get gear with power/crit/recovery, put recovery enchants, get a cat that you put power/crit/recovery items on and enchant with recovery enchants. Basically just get stuff that gives you recovery. Sure you wont do the most dps like this, but personally I dont see my "job" as a control wizard is to top the meters. For example if I suck up a group of 10 mobs and drop them down a hole, I will not get higher up on the damage meter. But it will be a huge contribution to the group.
  • poac1poac1 Member Posts: 88
    edited May 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »

The way it actually works i'm not sure if it's intended or not. Certain spells are infinite targets, most however, are 7 targets max. Shield if you spec properly and break about 5k-6500 recovery + the bonus sets for recovery. You then use spells that have no max targets like shield explosion, you just have to make sure you take a hit after you buff it up. For some reason the cooldown goes from 13s to instant. In other words you buff shield > get hit once > explode for max daily power (you need something like 10-15 mobs depending on recovery) > instantly rebuff shield > repeat indefinetly.

You don't even really need any other spells but shield, steal time is used more for the stun so you can recast shield buff, same things like repel (usually in tab) being a free pushback to stop an interrupt etc.
  • liquidc86liquidc86 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yes, i have 4k recovery atm with stone pet and i can cast singularity ussually every 7/8 seconds
    nothing to see here
  • arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yea hitting the 4k Recovery Mark really helps with achieving this and when you're in the 3000-4000 range you'll notice a good shield blast will recover a lot of your bar but not all of it. From there you either go Power/Recovery (Archmage and High Vizier) or Crit/Recovery (Focal Magi and Shadow Weaver). Regardless the main focus no matter the build is pretty much Recovery.

Another big factor depends on the number of mobs you hit and if your group is working towards that goal of maximizing the mobs you hit. Obviously pulling 3 mobs and hitting them with a shield blast isn't going to max anything.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • demonsunderdemonsunder Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    CW Full t2 Shadow weaver. I can cast singularity every 5 seconds on packs larger than 4 mobs. Shield isn't as good as your choke in your tab slot and its ranged, Tab - Choke + Conduit of Ice = 100% AP (I have 47% ap regen with my stacked rec and 30% crit) make sure you slot eye of the storm also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oceanic Neverwinter guild http://19thbattalion.com/home
    Breadbasket NW-DTYGYBRF2
  • donnythdonnyth Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    what feats do i need? Full controlling action I'm pretty sure, but what else?
    Secrets of the Ring ID: nw-dt25qalqy
  • kerrovitarrakerrovitarra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 559 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2013
    Not even needed. As someone tested, shield pulse AP gain not affected by feats. All you need is about 3k recovery (more - waste of stats). Don't be bad and don't do a stupid recovery bot, that can't even do damage.
    AP recharge speed mostly depends of amount of mobs, not of amount of recovery. If you want to really spam singularity, all you need is entangling force on tab. Shield recharges ~5% AP per target (unlimited targets), Entangling Force recharge ~6% per target (5 target limit), CoI - ~10%, Steal Time ~13%. If you have 8 mobs (less mobs - not even need to be controlled, they will die fast, if wizard has proper gear with enough ArP), you will gain 40+30+10+13 = 103% - full AP.
    BTW, numbers are for 2k recovery, for 3k recovery they will be higher.
  • misterzacmisterzac Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I am a CW running High Vizier with 3k recovery and can pretty much chain cast Arcane Singularity. Singularity -> Shield -> Entangling force (on master) = full AP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    donnyth wrote: »
    what feats do i need? Full controlling action I'm pretty sure, but what else?

3k recovery is enough, the feat you are looking for is critical power. controlling action will help but critical power will give you huge gains.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".
  • pfft2pfft2 Member Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    misterzac wrote: »
    I am a CW running High Vizier with 3k recovery and can pretty much chain cast Arcane Singularity. Singularity -> Shield -> Entangling force (on master) = full AP.

Entangling Force on Mastery in any epic dungeon pretty much guarantees you'll be able to chain singularities.

Unfortunately it's not always best to run with EF in the tab slot. That's when Shield-pulse tactics and stats/feats tend to matter.